Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

That's a silly way to confirm something, though. That's like saying that an assist trophy from a game means that there has to be a character from that series.

Don't get me wrong, I would totally enjoy some sort of Rhythm Heaven character. But I wouldn't count a random enemy showing up as confirmation for anything.

They wouldn't just put a random character from a series into the game and not have it repped by a playable character. It would make no sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Counterpoint: Animal Crossing got a whole stage but no character in Brawl.

Who knows what the deal is with Rhythm Heaven though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They wouldn't just put a random character from a series into the game and not have it repped by a playable character. It would make no sense at all.

Aren't there, like, Dig Dug enemies in Smash Run? I don't think anyone's expecting Dig Dug to pump up the beatdowns in Smash though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Aren't there, like, Dig Dug enemies in Smash Run? I don't think anyone's expecting Dig Dug to pump up the beatdowns in Smash though.

Pac-man summons dig dug I think, as well as a whole army of old arcade objects/enemies.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Dig Dug falls under the purview of classic Namco arcade, which is represented by Pac Man.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wild Knight posted:

Counterpoint: Animal Crossing got a whole stage but no character in Brawl.

Who knows what the deal is with Rhythm Heaven though.

There is tons of precedent for stages, assist trophies, and items from games that don't have a representative. I don't see why smash run enemies would be sacred.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The Rhythm Heaven series owns a lot and I'm glad Nintendo hasn't forgotten it existed :unsmith:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

canoshiz posted:

The Rhythm Heaven series owns a lot and I'm glad Nintendo hasn't forgotten it existed :unsmith:

Like they did with EBA/ouyaden :negative:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Filthy Haiku posted:

Like they did with EBA/ouyaden :negative:
But they didn't. Nintendo had them as stickers and trophies.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Brawl was actually a pretty cool game and it was full of love for all of Nintendo's franchises, even those that Time forgot. :unsmith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really liked Brawl and still can't understand why people have a big bug up their rear end about Nintendo removing a glitch they exploited.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Brawl was better than Melee :colbert:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

LividLiquid posted:

I really liked Brawl and still can't understand why people have a big bug up their rear end about Nintendo removing a glitch they exploited.

Combos in Street Fighter were originally a glitch. Sometimes it's good to keep glitches.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No one cares about wavedashing specifically, people just like the general speed and danger of the game (which dashing definitely contributed to, to be fair).

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Melee............... rules! :madmax:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brawl is a bad game because it punishes aggressive play of any kind, even if that play is successful.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

whalestory posted:

Melee is cool but have you heard of Project: Metroid? It has Melee physics, which Adam has given you permission to use.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The only thing so far that I dislike about Smash 4 is how often people are flying off screen. Recovery from hits takes a long time.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

whalestory posted:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Hey man expressing my opinions on how good or bad games are is the basis of modern gaming philosophical thought

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Excels posted:

The only thing so far that I dislike about Smash 4 is how often people are flying off screen. Recovery from hits takes a long time.

It's kinda weird, right? I think what makes it particularly jarring is the new "you hit someone off screen" trail - It looks pretty as gently caress but seems to trigger at arbitrarily low percentages, like they expected people to die much sooner than they actually do. But sometimes people just die, like when Lil' Macky gives 'em a knuckle kiss.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Countblanc posted:

No one cares about wavedashing specifically, people just like the general speed and danger of the game (which dashing definitely contributed to, to be fair).

Yeah, I think what you have right now in Melee is a competitive scene that's heavy on movement exploits because the intended movement design isn't up to snuff for quick and precise positioning. Since these movement tricks are so integral to competitive play, the input requirement for movement in competitive Melee becomes much more demanding than the input for attacks. The result is somewhat lopsided and doesn't jive with SSB's philosophy of simple input.

I think the ideal approach would be to observe the precise movement that you see in competitive Melee, and try to improve standard movement to the point where it can meet those needs without weird cancels and finicky timing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I just hope when it comes out, people will give it a fair chance instead of brushing it off as quickly as they are now.

It's a little unfair given the factors behind it but I think I had more fun watching that ZSS vs. Kirby match at the end than I've ever had watching Melee/PM tourneys (and I enjoy watching those a lot)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Listen Smash 4 doesn't have tripping it's already leagues better than Brawl

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

nerdbot posted:

I just hope when it comes out, people will give it a fair chance instead of brushing it off as quickly as they are now.

It's a little unfair given the factors behind it but I think I had more fun watching that ZSS vs. Kirby match at the end than I've ever had watching Melee/PM tourneys (and I enjoy watching those a lot)

I don't think anyone is going to honestly brush off a brand new Smash Bros in however many years, especially when there's affordable portable versions to play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nerdbot posted:

If you mean competitive players, Brawl is still being played (though it's been notably less popular since P:M picked up steam last Spring) despite a universal agreement that it's not really a particularly good competitive game. The most recent fighting game in a series will always get played, even by people who don't particularly like it, that's just how it is. Goes for Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur, and basically everything else. And even then, I think everyone actually wants the game to be good, but you'll always get people in any game who like older versions (which is completely fine, it's cool to see people still playing poo poo like Super Turbo because they don't like SF4 or whatever, it means the old game is still good).

If you mean casual players, I don't think anyone is dismissing it anyway.

Volt Catfish posted:

Listen Smash 4 doesn't have tripping it's already leagues better than Brawl

Also this, holy moly. To this day I can't believe there was no tripping slider in Brawl. I'd play the hell out of a game with it cranked up to like 60%, but the option of turning it to 0 would be good.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I don't remember where to find that video of the Fox combo where the player put in like 20 or so inputs in less than 5 seconds to pull off a k.o. combo, but poo poo like that is specifically why I hate melee. Some spergy amount of player input needed that devolves into how fast you can press buttons in a certain order that makes the game less about reacting to your opponent and taking advantage of their mistakes and more about memorizing the most miserable button combinations to pull off one specific action with very fickle timing.

I find the busy-work annoying and would rather see a focus on strategy and reaction rather than button salad. I know combos are important, but combos that require the most asinine combination of movements make the game less fun and more of a godawful chore.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

1-stock Brawl is the best instance of competitive Smash Bros yet.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

What they showed was quite obviously far from complete. Sakurai has months of playtesting, tweaking, adjusting and debugging to do. Not to mention that the characters we've seen are the only ones he felt were "balanced" so far, which is far from the forty-eight freaking characters we're supposedly getting. For reference, that's the size of UMVC3's roster, minus DLC.

All the execs were grilling players for details about what felt "off" or whatever. They're listening very closely and the product we're getting on Christmas is going to be goddamn fantastic. And when the game comes out maybe competitive people will find new ways to play it. We haven't seen any play without items or stage hazards, so just, don't lose the hype man! This game will be fun no matter what.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I've just seen a lot of really...passionate posts about Smash 4's competitive soundness based off of a demo and a tournament that had items on for all but one match and I feel a little sad that so many people seem to think it needs to be like Melee to be a good tournament game, especially when we still really don't know much about it.

If it comes out and people don't like it, then cool, I've just heard EVERYWHERE--even on line at Best Buy yesterday--about how people think it's going to suck for competitive play already, and it's kind of a bummer.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Excels posted:

What they showed was quite obviously far from complete. Sakurai has months of playtesting, tweaking, adjusting and debugging to do. Not to mention that the characters we've seen are the only ones he felt were "balanced" so far, which is far from the forty-eight freaking characters we're supposedly getting. For reference, that's the size of UMVC3's roster, minus DLC.

All the execs were grilling players for details about what felt "off" or whatever. They're listening very closely and the product we're getting on Christmas is going to be goddamn fantastic. And when the game comes out maybe competitive people will find new ways to play it. We haven't seen any play without items or stage hazards, so just, don't lose the hype man! This game will be fun no matter what.

He's going to go back to the reckless lifestyle he supposedly had during the development of Melee isn't he? Like I can't recall if he ever explicitly said that he would just sleep at the office during that time, but it sounds like the kinda thing you'd expect to happen during a time period like that.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They're going to bitch no matter what, the box could have $500 dollars and a disc sitting on a velvet cushion and people will still bitch about L-canceling or wavedashing or whatever spergy thing they can/cannot do in Smash 4. Have you seen the amount of stuff this game comes packed with?? The amount of stuff you can do in singleplayer alone sounds crazy. You can edit moves and play against friends with whatever setup you want. He couldn't possibly pack anymore content into this game. And the 3DS has a whole different set of stuff to play, exclusive stages, it's awesome.

Literally the only way Sakurai could be pandering any more to Smash fans is adding Ridley or Mewtwo.

e: VVVV or he could do that, holy poo poo

Excels fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 13, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Excels posted:

They're going to bitch no matter what, the box could have $500 dollars and a disc sitting on a velvet cushion and people will still bitch about L-canceling or wavedashing or whatever spergy thing they can/cannot do in Smash 4. Have you seen the amount of stuff this game comes packed with?? The amount of stuff you can do in singleplayer alone sounds crazy. You can edit moves and play against friends with whatever setup you want. He couldn't possibly pack anymore content into this game. And the 3DS has a whole different set of stuff to play, exclusive stages, it's awesome.

Literally the only way Sakurai could be pandering any more to Smash fans is adding Ridley or Mewtwo.

Incorrect; He could add this

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

nerdbot posted:

I've just seen a lot of really...passionate posts about Smash 4's competitive soundness based off of a demo and a tournament that had items on for all but one match and I feel a little sad that so many people seem to think it needs to be like Melee to be a good tournament game, especially when we still really don't know much about it.

If it comes out and people don't like it, then cool, I've just heard EVERYWHERE--even on line at Best Buy yesterday--about how people think it's going to suck for competitive play already, and it's kind of a bummer.

I'm gonna be the bad guy here and point out that there's pretty much a consensus that comboing characters is almost impossible (especially compared to Melee or M) and the engine clearly rewards defensive play more than offensive play. Also, this has been echoed by competitive players throughout E3 and even before that, but players are NOT screaming for it to just be Melee. The vast majority of players do not care about wavedashing or L-cancelling or things like that making a return in smash 4. They just want smash to not be a one hit fighter, and everything we've seen about 4 says that it will be. There isn't enough mobility, you can't do any meaningful combos out of throws, dodging and blocking are too hard to punish, and all of this points to the game playing out exactly like SSBB did.

There's time for them to fix the engine, and god drat I hope they do. Everyone hopes they do. It's just at this point the engine is not friendly towards being an entertaining competitive game, and Nintendo doesn't have a great track record of listening to players about what they want in their games. Asking the players what they wanted at E3 is not really indicative that they'll make any meaningful changes.

Right now we don't have much to go on, but I'm inclined to believe that all of the competitive players are right when they collectively say that the engine is boring, as opposed to getting my hopes up that there will be some magical, undiscovered things in the game that completely change its pace and style.

Excels posted:

Yeah, competitive players are going to bitch about the engine if it's a bad competitive engine no matter how many highly polished trophies, extra modes, songs, and other crap they put in the game, because competitive players don't care about any of that if the game is boring at its core.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 13, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I thought players said there was hitstun? Like, you could do some combos in this game.
EDIT: Before players start bitching about things, they should realize that the game is still unfinished and the 5 or so hours, maximum, of gameplay is not enough to know characters in and out at this point. It's a waste of time to try and discern how exactly Smash 4 is going to play out.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

How Rude posted:

I thought players said there was hitstun? Like, you could do some combos in this game.
Yes. Some were having trouble following up because of moves having increased knockback and throws having more lag for the thrower. Possibly a concession to make infinites less likely?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Chaltab posted:

Yes. Some were having trouble following up because of moves having increased knockback and throws having more lag for the thrower. Possibly a concession to make infinites less likely?

Anything to remove infinites is a good thing. Infinites were smash bros. at its most unbalanced.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only infinites I can think of are wobbling and Dedede's chain throw (which may have not actually been an infinite), which are you talking about?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

How Rude posted:

It's a waste of time to try and discern how exactly Smash 4 is going to play out.

I can already tell you how it's going to work. King Dedede is going to eat the other fighters and combos won't matter.

Dedede owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

There are certainly combos going on in some of the character trailers, Sonic and Pac-Man particularly have some pretty good poo poo going on, but everyone who's actually played the demo says otherwise. I know the trailers are meant to make the characters look good, but it seems a little suspect to me. I didn't get to do much more than watch at Best Buy yesterday because the line was unmitigable. I agree, at least, that combos are a big factor that I hope will be present.

• Locked thread