Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

The reward for 100% completing the game was retarded though. You got a chaingun when at that point there was nothing left to do in the world, since it wasn't a sandbox. No NG+ to gently caress around with it either.

e: Wait, no I'm thinking of Gun

I bought Gun used like a year ago and replayed it. It was a weird game and seemed kind of like a proof of concept for Red Dead Redemption (I know it's from a different developer). There was an open world but it was small and empty, there were Indians but they were red man cliches, and etc. It's not a bad game, but it's really half assed. I suppose it scratches a certain itch.

Not every game has to be a deconstruction of tropes or whatever, but Gun could have been anything; It seemed like they crammed their simple story into a Western setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Yeah Gun honestly isn't "bad". It had a very good voice cast but, like you said, it's open world felt pretty barren.

Since there's RDR there's really no reason to play it now though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wish Westerns would become more popular in games, but I know better. Redemption is the best the genre has ever been, and really, the previous gen was pretty decent with the Call of Juarez games and Gun. Westerns are hard to not make stupid apparently.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Have you played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? It's of an arcade style FPS so its lot different than Red Dead but its fun and its got a lot of charm. Plus all the boss fights are famous outlaws like Billy the Kid and Jesse James.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm replaying this game in spite of my backlog and I'm almost falling in love with it all over again. The story and gameplay really come together in a beautiful mesh of immersion that I find hard to pull away from. From having a lovable main character to having fun with sandbox elements like hunting, it makes it hard for me to enjoy GTA5 which is slanted in "big heists" and their screwy online mode.

This game does so many things right :allears:

(Well, except the post-game, IMO. Story wise it works but I can only be yell at horses for so long :()

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah Gun honestly isn't "bad". It had a very good voice cast but, like you said, it's open world felt pretty barren.

Since there's RDR there's really no reason to play it now though.

Gun was a pretty fun western story game, but it dropped the ball on being an open-world game. The hunting was a lot of fun, but the game world was relatively small and there was nothing to do in the open expanse. Thomas Jane did a fantastic job as the main character though. Plus, it had Lance Henriksen, Brad Dourif, and motherfucking Ron Perlman.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Aw, motherfucker. I had forgotten the cougars were in and around that Chollo area. I thought for some stupid reason they were only in Tall Trees and got killed by a damned train of em.

Seriously, I killed 2 and another was swiping at me before the last one hit the ground.

I did have to laugh though, since the "KILL THE MYSTERIOUS JACKALOPE" portion of the game was solved about 20 mins into it by camping out near Bonnie's ranch and it just wandered into the campsite.

I can only imagine the "KILL THE WILY CHUPATHINGY" challenge will be solved with me camping out in the middle of mexico and it walking up and decided it needs to nap near the campfire.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Aw, motherfucker. I had forgotten the cougars were in and around that Chollo area. I thought for some stupid reason they were only in Tall Trees and got killed by a damned train of em.

Seriously, I killed 2 and another was swiping at me before the last one hit the ground.

I did have to laugh though, since the "KILL THE MYSTERIOUS JACKALOPE" portion of the game was solved about 20 mins into it by camping out near Bonnie's ranch and it just wandered into the campsite.

I can only imagine the "KILL THE WILY CHUPATHINGY" challenge will be solved with me camping out in the middle of mexico and it walking up and decided it needs to nap near the campfire.

I've played through this game at least five times and I've never even seen a chupacabra. It's the only animal left on the checklist.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Chupacabra only appears in Undead Nightmare, as Hunter Challenge 5. The game points it out and makes a big blue dot on the map.

Jackalopes are just a rare version of a rabbit, so there's a random chance of any rabbit spawned being a Jackalope, which is why they'd just mosey into your camp.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I found the jackalope near some tracks just northwest of Armadillo if that helps.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The one Jackalope I found was by the railroad tracks, near the bridge crossing between Hennigan's Stead and Mexico.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I found mine around Hanging Rock (west of Pike's Basin) during a bounty. I'm pretty sure those aren't close to any tracks. So it might just be "any random rabbit" spawn.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
They're a fairly random spawn, though I always seem to find one hanging out at Pleasance House. Also, if you don't give the deed to the McAllister for the stranger mission (or kill him and take it back) you can use it as a safe house.

Gaining fame is tough as poo poo in hardcore. I'm almost at the final mission and my fame meter is just under 2/3 full.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Have you played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? It's of an arcade style FPS so its lot different than Red Dead but its fun and its got a lot of charm. Plus all the boss fights are famous outlaws like Billy the Kid and Jesse James.

Yeah, I played it when it came out. It was fun but didn't leave much of an impression. I liked the second Call of Juarez, too, the one that came before the modern cartel nonsense.

If anybody is into Western games after Redemption, it's worth trying to find a used copy of Red Dead Revolver somewhere or buying it on Xbox Live. It's a strange good time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My favorite thing to do online in this is to go to snow area and hide out near that cabin and see how long it takes before a cougar inevitably maul me to death. It can be pretty suspenseful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I've seen flying people, I've seen horses that wander in and out of cutscenes. I've died while camping because of cougars.

I've ninja starred dynamite to birds while using dead eye.

Tonight marks the first time in my life I ever broke friction.

Seems like every time I kill a wolf and skin it, I start skating around. The best part is if I go into Dead Eye, the gun just shoots towards my feet but the bullets smack what I'm aiming at.

This game :allears:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I still cannot get over how fantastic this game still looks. Like, I'm not sure how much of an improvement a PC/next-gen port of this game would render. It's even more obvious when one comes from GTA5 back to RDR.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Does the all weapons cheat work for anyone? Apparently it's WE NEED GUNS JOHN, but the game tells me it's invalid.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

What? I know there's codes for the gun 'sets' but I never heard about an all-guns code. I wonder where it is in the game?

Apparently it's WE NEED GUNS JOHN!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This is still the best game Rockstar has ever made. By a huge margin.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Philip J Fry posted:

What? I know there's codes for the gun 'sets' but I never heard about an all-guns code. I wonder where it is in the game?

Apparently it's WE NEED GUNS JOHN!

Yeah I found it on cheatcc and a few other places that are usually right about poo poo, but it just won't work in any variation I try.

E:

At least the 360 has the one hit kill cheat unlockable now. Now I can actually kill poo poo with shotguns reliably at proper ranges.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 12, 2014

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

I still cannot get over how fantastic this game still looks. Like, I'm not sure how much of an improvement a PC/next-gen port of this game would render. It's even more obvious when one comes from GTA5 back to RDR.

It's a beautiful game. Just the vistas and specific things like flowers and tumbleweeds look spectacular. I never played GTAV, though. What's worse about it than RDR?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Working with an awesome fellow goon on a 1/6th sculpt of Marston using the game's models and textures.

So far, looking pretty cool!

:clint:

As far as how it looks, GTA5 was pretty awesome but it wasn't really a "pretty" game. Weirdly enough, I spent most of my time playing it hanging around in the wooded areas and out in the desert, kinda like RDR.

RDR has a lot less to "pop in" though, and way less pedestrians and npcs as well as just overall vehicles, etc.

I would love to see RDR redone on the ps4 with more animals to hunt, maybe a Marston who can swim for a bit, just make the river between Mexico filled with rapids you can't cross.

Hell, even the undead nightmare DLC would be awesome. I can only imagine the completely disgusting ways they can make the zombies look using the ps4's hardware.

If I won the lottery, I think that'd be one of the things I'd toss money at. I'd call Rockstar and go "MAKE THIS DAMNED THING FOR NEXT GEN, I'LL PAY FOR IT", but it wouldn't be the same without Landon Rickets voice actor :smith:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

It's a beautiful game. Just the vistas and specific things like flowers and tumbleweeds look spectacular. I never played GTAV, though. What's worse about it than RDR?

The scope of GTAV is so much larger that they had to make a good deal of sacrifices in the visual department to meet their resource budget. Coming from RDR, the most glaring example was how lovely the forested areas look in comparison.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fuzz posted:

This is still the best game Rockstar has ever made. By a huge margin.

The only GTA games I could finish after RDR were the stupid London one and IV. RDR one of the best games period, let alone just Rockstar.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Just a heads up. With Gamespy servers set to go offline after May 31st some functions of RDR will be abandoned. Rockstar claims they'll issue a patch to point the online servers somewhere else so multiplayer doesn't just die in the water but considering RDR is a 5+ year old game they may not be in much of a hurry to push one through.

The Social Club leaderboards will no longer function and there is no intention to repair it. They will just evaporate. That isn't so much of a big deal but the possibility of losing multiplayer is.

If you have any online trophies yet to go for you might want to get cracking on it just in case.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have been getting this strange bug whenever I go online. Ill start off on McFarlane ranch, only there are a bunch of guys with no arms just laying on the ground. Then when you shoot them, the game starts playing the gunshot over and over again, your killstreak rockets to 998, and the game gives you +1 XP rapidly over and over again. Also, the screen bugs out.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

RDR is a 5+ year old game

It came out 4 years ago today. :stare:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

^^^^ Wow, I figured the game was older than that.

blackguy32 posted:

I have been getting this strange bug whenever I go online. Ill start off on McFarlane ranch, only there are a bunch of guys with no arms just laying on the ground. Then when you shoot them, the game starts playing the gunshot over and over again, your killstreak rockets to 998, and the game gives you +1 XP rapidly over and over again. Also, the screen bugs out.
You can thank modded PS3s for that. You are on a server that hackers have exploited and the exploit then infects your game like a virus. If you run into someone else in game you will in turn infect them. Only way out of it is to start a private session so the data is cleared of the "virus" then try another public session. It's also best to avoid MacFarlane Ranch online all together since that's where the virus spawns.

If you see a guy at MacFarlane stuck halfway in the ground do not interact or do anything with it. That's the trigger point for the exploit.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 18, 2014

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

It came out 4 years ago today. :stare:

Goddamn. I remember nervously looking out my window waiting for the delivery guy to bring my copy to the door. Can't believe it's been 4 years.

I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption with my girlfriend and we're nearly to the end of the game. She absolutely loves the story, the game and everything about it but can't stand third-person shooters so I'm playing it. She keeps saying stuff like "I feel like this game can't have a happy ending; we haven't even met John's family yet!" I can't wait for what she makes of the finale. It's been a while since I've played through start to finish but I am managing to get things right, like investigating Sepulcro and looking for Eva at sunset. Letting her make the choices of who lives and who dies (I was so pumped when she sentenced Escuela to death. How should we tackle bounties, dead or alive? It's almost like I'm experiencing it all again for the first time and it feels so goddamn good :allears:

Though, somewhat unrelated, how is the online (specifically expert) community in RDR these days? I'm considering renewing my XBL gold subscription so I'm able to watch HBO again and I think a somewhat active community would push me over the edge.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Speaking of replays, I finally, finally, finally, after many long years, got the Spurred to Victory achievement. Thank you, war horse :3:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Morter posted:

Speaking of replays, I finally, finally, finally, after many long years, got the Spurred to Victory achievement. Thank you, war horse :3:
I'm replaying to get that trophy too. After I achieve that one I'll have only 2 fairly rudimentary online trophies to go for in order to Plat. Thankfully, I was in a big goon session years ago where we were all going for the "Wanted" trophy. I would have never gotten that one on my own in a pubbie match.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

'Most Wanted' is pretty easy if you just book it up to Cochinay. Nobody bothers to go up there and even if they do, they have to climb a ladder to get into the upper caves where you can just wait at the top with a shotgun for their face.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The only cheevos I'm missing are the ones for the online co-op missions because I could never find a match that didn't have some dumbass TKer. And for some reason I never got Create a Posse with the full members.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

The only cheevos I'm missing are the ones for the online co-op missions because I could never find a match that didn't have some dumbass TKer. And for some reason I never got Create a Posse with the full members.

I didn't play the co-op missions until a couple years after the game was released, so I guess the only people playing by that point were the serious bastards. I killed every single achievement for them in short order. I have a cool game memory of driving a stagecoach like a bat out of hell to the Mexico bridge, leaving half my team from necessity, and just barely making it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Decided to dust this off after about a year of not playing it. Feels weird going from glorious 1080p on my PC to what I assume is 720p upscaled but, even so, I remember why I already beat this game three times.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
YAY!!!!

http://www.stuff.tv/red-dead-redemption-2-and-more-bioshock-games-way-says-take-two-boss/news

:neckbeard:

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Hopefully this one will wonder on to my PC.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So PS+ just downloaded a RDR patch today. Does anyone know what it was for? Honestly, I'm surprised this game still gets patched at all :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont give a flying poo poo about a RDR sequel that isn't made by Rockstar though, have they said anything about it?

• Locked thread