Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Thundercloud posted:

So are they ever going to release the ork codex? Has anyone seen the drat thing?

Is it coming out in July?

I don't like this new 'release all the miniatures and then the army book' thing because I'd like to see what I need to complete my army and then make any decisions.

Hey you figured out why they're doing it this way. It's like they have a vast mountain of dusty Mandrakes and Succubi in the building quietly murmuring "hey guys, let's have them buy them before they can math out how they don't want them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Thundercloud posted:

So are they ever going to release the ork codex? Has anyone seen the drat thing?

Is it coming out in July?

I don't like this new 'release all the miniatures and then the army book' thing because I'd like to see what I need to complete my army and then make any decisions.

It's coming during the third week of Ork releases (this week? not sure when they started), if the Dwarf and Wood Elf releases are any metric.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
So... MSP is in town and bro gaming with me. I will finally get to play 7th! :woop:

And holy poo poo he surprised me with his 90%painted Knight!

How do these things Move Through Cover? My e-book does not really say anything different from 6th, but I thought it was fixed for some reason.

Ps, and this genius of a brother embedded a screw into waist and a nut into the hips for excellent transportation

:science:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So... MSP is in town and bro gaming with me. I will finally get to play 7th! :woop:

How do these things Move Through Cover? My e-book does not really say anything different from 6th, but I thought it was fixed for some reason.

Ps, and this genius of a brother embedded a screw into waist and a nut into the hips for excellent transportation

Move through cover now works during the movement and the assault phases, as opposed to just the movement. During normal you roll an extra d6 to see how far you go, and you ignore penalties during the assault phase, and you ignore dangerous terrain tests.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Move through cover now works during the movement and the assault phases, as opposed to just the movement. During normal you roll an extra d6 to see how far you go, and you ignore penalties during the assault phase, and you ignore dangerous terrain tests.

I think the problem is that Super Heavy Walkers move like Walkers, so they take difficult/dangerous terrain tests when a normal Walker would because normal Walkers move like basic Infantry. However SHWs move 12". Move Through Cover just gives you 1 extra dice when determining how far you can move through difficult terrain and removes the -2" modifier when you assault through difficult/dangerous terrain. So for SHWs do you still do 3D6 take highest meaning they can only move 6" through terrain? Do you do 3D6 take two highest? Do you base it off inches moved so if 6" is 3D6 take 1 highest does 12" become 6D6 take 2 highest? Beasts, Cavalry and Jump units just plain ignore the effects of Difficult Terrain so the "3D6 take one highest" for movement doesn't effect their 12" move.

Do Super Heavy Walkers still get dropped to I1 for having to charge through difficult terrain? Imperial Knights don't have assault grenades and MTC doesn't change the Initiative drop.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd just do it proportionally... 2D6, highest result, multiply by 2.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Here's a couple of semi-rough test models I've just finished. Trying to decide on a scheme to use for my next army. The Ultramarine was easy to do but looks a bit flat. The Fist pops more but was a bit of a poo poo to paint and I'm not sure how well it will translate to vehicles. I'd also need to add another layer of highlighting to the yellow after the glaze because of how it flattened them down.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
If you're worried about the Ultra looking flat, add some squad markings to him. There's a lot of empty blue space which gives you plenty of room to personalize it--kneepads and shins are especially good for that. Even something simple as a little battle damage or weathering can make him look more unique.

If you REALLY want to make him pop though, go old-school Blood Red bolter instead of black.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Pacheeco posted:

I think the problem is that Super Heavy Walkers move like Walkers, so they take difficult/dangerous terrain tests when a normal Walker would because normal Walkers move like basic Infantry. However SHWs move 12". Move Through Cover just gives you 1 extra dice when determining how far you can move through difficult terrain and removes the -2" modifier when you assault through difficult/dangerous terrain. So for SHWs do you still do 3D6 take highest meaning they can only move 6" through terrain? Do you do 3D6 take two highest? Do you base it off inches moved so if 6" is 3D6 take 1 highest does 12" become 6D6 take 2 highest? Beasts, Cavalry and Jump units just plain ignore the effects of Difficult Terrain so the "3D6 take one highest" for movement doesn't effect their 12" move.

Do Super Heavy Walkers still get dropped to I1 for having to charge through difficult terrain? Imperial Knights don't have assault grenades and MTC doesn't change the Initiative drop.

Yeah looking it over I think you're reading it right here. SHW are 3d6 choose highest in difficult terrain. There's nothing in the rules about doubling it (I think mainly because it's all based off Infantry movement which is always 6") and looking online briefly I don't see anything different in the FAQs.

Same for I1. Avoid difficult terrain with knights, I guess?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Here's a couple of semi-rough test models I've just finished. Trying to decide on a scheme to use for my next army. The Ultramarine was easy to do but looks a bit flat. The Fist pops more but was a bit of a poo poo to paint and I'm not sure how well it will translate to vehicles. I'd also need to add another layer of highlighting to the yellow after the glaze because of how it flattened them down.

I think both look superb. To me, the Ultramarine does not look flat and his paintjob is slightly cleaner and better executed.

I recommend choice C: make your own Chapter.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

jng2058 posted:

Yup. Punishers and Executioners get the sponsons and hull gun upgrades, basic Russes and Demolishers get a single hull mounted Heavy Bolter and nothing else. I can see an argument for a Demolisher maybe getting some sponsons just so you can shoot at things beyond 24" for effect but that's in the realm of "Have you got points left over?" and not "Always do this"

All of the non-Ordnance Russ variants are actually pretty solid these days, pretty much because of their combination of price drops and the Heavy type; Punishers are wonderful bullet hoses (and with Pask manning it it can murder almost everything in the game pretty well), Executioners are great against MEQs and MCs, Exterminators are basically everything the Hydra used to be (and light tanks are gonna make a comeback), Eradicators are perfect for killing Tau and Eldar troops as well as traitorous Guardsmen, even the Vanquisher is pretty cheap and a solid way to punch holes in Knights or enemy Russes. Outside of the Heavy Flamer, all of the sponsons are quite good as well and give you a wide variety of options.

And hell, Camo Netting and Dozer Blades both got cheap as well. Russes are good for a lot of things.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Sadly it was not, so purely RAW they still just take a normal difficult terrain test and then move the result. However, most tournaments I have gone to agree that "take a test, double the result" is the fairest way to handle them, so I would recommend that as a system.

You might be thinking of assaults and Move Through Cover, which now does function properly- MTC lets you ignore the -2" penalty for terrain in the assault phase.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Any of you good at Photoshop and could make me a Photoshop image that has that old Centipedes in My Vagina, but instead Daemons in my Vagina or Daemons? In my Army?

I'm writing a article on something and I suck at photoshop and I think it would be a funny picture. Or lead me to place that does it automatically?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

I think both look superb. To me, the Ultramarine does not look flat and his paintjob is slightly cleaner and better executed.

I recommend choice C: make your own Chapter.

I agree--those look great, and you should make your own chapter. On that note, I finished my second tactical squad!

Heavy bolters are loving rad

I had originally hosed this dude up by positioning his chest too far to one side, then I found out that there's a grenade-lobbing arm on the new marine sprue. Problem solved!

The half-terminator face on the assault squad sergeant owns. I've decided that I'm going to paint most of the helmetless dudes black.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

I agree--those look great, and you should make your own chapter. On that note, I finished my second tactical squad!

I had originally hosed this dude up by positioning his chest too far to one side, then I found out that there's a grenade-lobbing arm on the new marine sprue. Problem solved!

The half-terminator face on the assault squad sergeant owns. I've decided that I'm going to paint most of the helmetless dudes black.

Man, having a grenade dude in my squads might remind me that my squads can use grenades.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cataphract posted:

Man, having a grenade dude in my squads might remind me that my squads can use grenades.

It was pretty easy to set up, the only extra work was to cut off the hand on the left arm and reposition it at a 45-degree angle.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Heavy Bolters are the coolest of the heavy weapons.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I asked about Scouts (non-Sniper) in this thread a month or two ago, and I have some follow-up questions for those of you who have them.

I'm either going to use bolters or shotguns, but there aren't enough arms for everybody. Where do you guys get the last set? Even if I put a combi-weapon on the Sergeant and shotguns on the others, I'm not sure where I'm going to get the last left arm from. Any sweet conversion solutions? Should I just build my heavy bolter guy?

Also: shotguns or bolters?

EDIT: ^^^^I love the way Multi-Meltas look too, but yeah, Heavy Bolters are the loving illest.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sulecrist posted:

I asked about Scouts (non-Sniper) in this thread a month or two ago, and I have some follow-up questions for those of you who have them.

I'm either going to use bolters or shotguns, but there aren't enough arms for everybody. Where do you guys get the last set? Even if I put a combi-weapon on the Sergeant and shotguns on the others, I'm not sure where I'm going to get the last left arm from. Any sweet conversion solutions? Should I just build my heavy bolter guy?

Beats me, all I've got are the old metal ones and some scratch built ones I made from Marine torsos and Catachan arms and legs.

Sulecrist posted:

Depends on usage. Now that you can always double fire Bolters within 12", the only advantage to Shotguns is being Assault Weapons, which in turn only matters if you plan to charge with them. So if you're going with a Vet Sarge w/ Power Fist or some such, have a ten man squad, and plan to Assault with them? Shotguns. If you just want an Infiltrating Objective Grab team or otherwise plan to stand in cover and shoot? Bolters.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Any of you good at Photoshop and could make me a Photoshop image that has that old Centipedes in My Vagina, but instead Daemons in my Vagina or Daemons? In my Army?

I'm writing a article on something and I suck at photoshop and I think it would be a funny picture. Or lead me to place that does it automatically?
Be honest. You're asking for something here to slap it on Dakka, so you can keep going on about Daemons. We get it, man. You love Daemons. Daemons are the next big thing. Summoning Daemons is insane. Daemons are better than sliced bread. You have proven beyond a doubt, in fact, Daemons Daemons DAEMONS.

GIMP is free and not that hard to use. You could knock something out in Paint, even - the original meme is mostly just white space with text, so that's easy to fix. That's what I would suggest.

DAEMONS

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I have a 1000 point game tommorow. My opponent's list is unbounded and he is bringing a loving Stormlord. I am playing IG, how do i take down a Stormlord?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

I have a 1000 point game tommorow. My opponent's list is unbounded and he is bringing a loving Stormlord. I am playing IG, how do i take down a Stormlord?

all the lascannons

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That is one sexy, sexy Knight paintscheme. I love it when people manage to pull off that faux-reflective effect on miniatures.
It's sort of a shame that the guys in my club are insistent on painting theirs dark red and gunmetal, it'd be nice to see some painted in more stand-out colours.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sulecrist posted:

Can't help much with the modeling issue; I bought a couple packs back in the day, but I don't specifically remember what I did there (and I gave my dude a Heavy Bolter anyways.)

As far as Shotguns versus Bolters, it boils down to a pretty simple thing: you won't usually be assaulting with your Scouts, even if you have the option. Scouts are better than basic xenos troops in close combat, but not so much better that you'll be able to dive into them with a small squad most of the time, and with their weak WS and armor save, it's entirely possible that even something like Dire Avengers will just get a little bit lucky and punch you to death before you get to swing. Bolters get just as many shots as Shotguns will even under the best of circumstances, have an extra 12" of range (useful for pipping away from a distance as well as for pushing out the maximum kill distance you have) and benefit from AP5 should their target happen to be in the open. The rare circumstances when you will be at short-enough range to shoot and then follow with an assault- and not have wanted to be using BP/CCW instead- just aren't worth the other losses.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

UberJumper posted:

A tank commander in a Vanquisher squadron isn't a bad place to start, ~450 for 3 Vanquishers (with the commander attached). 2 platoons with heavy weapon lascannon squads could be a decent backup as well. 3 AV 14 tanks of your own with their own Vanquisher cannon+lascannons and random lascannons in infantry and weapons squads would be good against a tank that size. I wouldn't want to show any side of it to that many lascannons regardless of the AV. Since he's bringing a big tank like that, there shouldn't be too much more to shoot at and you could probably fit a Manticore or a Deathstrike in your list to counter whatever other chaff he brings. Maybe 2 infantry squads per platoon, and a heavy weapons squad with 3 lascannons each? I'm not looking at a codex right now but I feel like you could get away with a list like that for right around 1000 points. That's a battle-forged list too, your guardsmen would be telling whatever objective claimers he has floating around to get the gently caress off of their objective. :getin:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Cataphract posted:

all the lascannons

The only lascannons i have that i can easily use are on a pair of vendettas. I don't have a copy of the IA book that has the Stormlord, so i don't know the exact rules of it, can Melta's work if i hit it on the sides/rear? I am assuming it has better armour than the land raider on the front?

Icon Of Sin posted:

A tank commander in a Vanquisher squadron isn't a bad place to start, ~450 for 3 Vanquishers (with the commander attached). 2 platoons with heavy weapon lascannon squads could be a decent backup as well. 3 AV 14 tanks of your own with their own Vanquisher cannon+lascannons and random lascannons in infantry and weapons squads would be good against a tank that size. I wouldn't want to show any side of it to that many lascannons regardless of the AV. Since he's bringing a big tank like that, there shouldn't be too much more to shoot at and you could probably fit a Manticore or a Deathstrike in your list to counter whatever other chaff he brings. Maybe 2 infantry squads per platoon, and a heavy weapons squad with 3 lascannons each? I'm not looking at a codex right now but I feel like you could get away with a list like that for right around 1000 points. That's a battle-forged list too, your guardsmen would be telling whatever objective claimers he has floating around to get the gently caress off of their objective. :getin:

I have an executioner, and a demolisher, but no Vanquisher's. :smith: I also made almost all my HWT's (i didn't have many to start with), into auto cannons. Would Vendetta's work?

My biggest fear is how much poo poo that stormlord is going to spew, the board is probably going to be very small, and twin linked Vulcan Megacannons (i think), shoot what 15 shots? That will gib most of my guys easily.

My friend played him today, and apparently he is a "try hard", but he had a few actual troops. Unfortunately my friend got tabled by turn 4, due to the sheer amount of crap the Stormlord was spewing. But he had very few actual troops.

I should have asked more details.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 13, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

UberJumper posted:

The only lascannons i have that i can easily use are on a pair of vendettas. I don't have a copy of the IA book that has the Stormlord, so i don't know the exact rules of it, can Melta's work if i hit it on the sides/rear? I am assuming it has better armour than the land raider on the front?

They're 14/13/12 I think with 9hp. They can trade their sponsons for side armor 14 though.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Stormlord is AV 14/13/12, and rocks 9 HP. Meltas would work as normal. The Stormlord is a more mellow Lord of War, since its gun is just a bucket of S6 AP3 shots.

Vendettas would be pretty solid, since he can only glance them and you can lay into his side arcs.

edit - toats beat

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Stormlord is unique in that it has a 40 model transport capacity, and I think they can all fire out of it too. It's my favorite IG superheavy.

So watch out because the rest of his army might be lascanons shooting off its back.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Nah, you're over-thinking it. It's only AV14 on the front, AV13 on the sides (though that can be AV14 if they skip the side sponsons), and AV12 in back, and there's no particular anti-melta protection on it. That said it does have a nasty 9 HP, and if you score a Explodes! on the Pen chart it's only doing 1-3 HP, not insta-killing it.

Lots and lots of lascannons or some suicide melta-teams will do it for you. You could also go for a Demolisher or Vanquisher and pour on the shots that way. Note that the Stormlord's big gun is only S6 so your own tanks will be hard for it to kill as long as you keep the front pointed at it.

EDIT: Oh and I think only 20 of the 40 guys it can carry can actually fire. Only. :rolleyes:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 13, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Alright thanks! Suicide meltas and vendettas it is.

ghetto wormhole posted:

The Stormlord is unique in that it has a 40 model transport capacity, and I think they can all fire out of it too. It's my favorite IG superheavy.

So watch out because the rest of his army might be lascanons shooting off its back.

40 models? :wtc:

jng2058 posted:

Nah, you're over-thinking it. It's only AV14 on the front, AV13 on the sides (though that can be AV14 if they skip the side sponsons), and AV12 in back, and there's no particular anti-melta protection on it. That said it does have a nasty 9 HP, and if you score a Explodes! on the Pen chart it's only doing 1-3 HP, not insta-killing it.

Lots and lots of lascannons or some suicide melta-teams will do it for you. You could also go for a Demolisher or Vanquisher and pour on the shots that way. Note that the Stormlord's big gun is only S6 so your own tanks will be hard for it to kill as long as you keep the front pointed at it.

EDIT: Oh and I think only 20 of the 40 guys it can carry can actually fire. Only. :rolleyes:

Huh i was honestly expecting the Stormlords big gun to be much more horrifying than S6.

"Only" 20.... :stare:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Huh i was honestly expecting the Stormlords big gun to be much more horrifying than S6.

To be fair it's fifteen S6 AP3 shots, thirty if it doesn't move. That's usually enough to vaporize any infantry without cover short of Terminators and glancing to death any vehicle AV12 or less. I saw a battle report where it was taking out entire Carnifex broods in a single round of fire.

But yeah, aim big tanks at it and it gets sad.

EDIT: Oh, and it counts as open-topped for the purposes of letting the 20 guys on top shoot and for assaulting out of it but NOT open-topped for purposes of the damage chart. Watch out for a mob of Ogryns or allied Marines assaulting out of it if you get too close with those suicide meltas.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 13, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

jng2058 posted:

Beats me, all I've got are the old metal ones and some scratch built ones I made from Marine torsos and Catachan arms and legs.

Depends on usage. Now that you can always double fire Bolters within 12", the only advantage to Shotguns is being Assault Weapons, which in turn only matters if you plan to charge with them. So if you're going with a Vet Sarge w/ Power Fist or some such, have a ten man squad, and plan to Assault with them? Shotguns. If you just want an Infiltrating Objective Grab team or otherwise plan to stand in cover and shoot? Bolters.

AbusePuppy posted:

Can't help much with the modeling issue; I bought a couple packs back in the day, but I don't specifically remember what I did there (and I gave my dude a Heavy Bolter anyways.)

As far as Shotguns versus Bolters, it boils down to a pretty simple thing: you won't usually be assaulting with your Scouts, even if you have the option. Scouts are better than basic xenos troops in close combat, but not so much better that you'll be able to dive into them with a small squad most of the time, and with their weak WS and armor save, it's entirely possible that even something like Dire Avengers will just get a little bit lucky and punch you to death before you get to swing. Bolters get just as many shots as Shotguns will even under the best of circumstances, have an extra 12" of range (useful for pipping away from a distance as well as for pushing out the maximum kill distance you have) and benefit from AP5 should their target happen to be in the open. The rare circumstances when you will be at short-enough range to shoot and then follow with an assault- and not have wanted to be using BP/CCW instead- just aren't worth the other losses.

Cool, okay. I actually slightly prefer the look of the bolters anyway, and also I could theoretically use Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics at some point and if for some reason I ever got a Land Speeder Storm I'd want the models to match, so bolters it is. I'll use the heavy bolter, too, since these are kind of a handicap unit anyway and I think it's sweet, and anyway I don't expect them to be super mobile. Long story short, thanks for the advice.

Now all I need is those Catachan heads from BuffaloChicken and I can finish assembling.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

jng2058 posted:

To be fair it's fifteen S6 AP3 shots, thirty if it doesn't move. That's usually enough to vaporize any infantry without cover short of Terminators and glancing to death any vehicle AV12 or less. I saw a battle report where it was taking out entire Carnifex broods in a single round of fire.

But yeah, aim big tanks at it and it gets sad.

15/30 shots of S6? :wtc:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

UberJumper posted:

15/30 shots of S6? :wtc:

It's the Punisher's bigger, meaner brother. :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Don't forget the stormlord can spit out 30 guys too. I need to get the escalation book, because I really doubt they're going to print the points values for the super heavy tanks in WD.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Von Humboldt posted:

Be honest. You're asking for something here to slap it on Dakka, so you can keep going on about Daemons. We get it, man. You love Daemons. Daemons are the next big thing. Summoning Daemons is insane. Daemons are better than sliced bread. You have proven beyond a doubt, in fact, Daemons Daemons DAEMONS.

GIMP is free and not that hard to use. You could knock something out in Paint, even - the original meme is mostly just white space with text, so that's easy to fix. That's what I would suggest.

DAEMONS

Okay I'll check it out and yes DAemons

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

theironjef posted:

Hey you figured out why they're doing it this way. It's like they have a vast mountain of dusty Mandrakes and Succubi in the building quietly murmuring "hey guys, let's have them buy them before they can math out how they don't want them."
Yeah, but everything they release has rules in White Dwarf the week it comes out so you can see what it's like before the codex drops. Right now there's rules in WD for the new Flash Gitz, and there were rules for the Gorkamorkanaught last week. Yeah, we can't see exactly how the new units will interplay with other units in the codex, but the rules are there.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Those are both really sharp, I dig em.

Slimnoid posted:

If you're worried about the Ultra looking flat, add some squad markings to him. There's a lot of empty blue space which gives you plenty of room to personalize it--kneepads and shins are especially good for that. Even something simple as a little battle damage or weathering can make him look more unique.

If you REALLY want to make him pop though, go old-school Blood Red bolter instead of black.
Now this is a post I agree with wholeheartedly. Red bolters are up to your discretion. I love them, but red bolters on modern Marines absolutely scream 3rd edition. Squad markings or honor badges are a great way to dress up models though. I even got results I was happy with with the "I love my bolter" Marines in this tac squad with a little variation:

As always, these guys own. Don't stop doing what you're doing. And god drat do I wish heavy bolters were as effective as they are cool.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Dayum, that looks nice. I'm building 3 of them for the Brawl in the Fall tournament in Fresno, CA in October.

I'm a little jealous of the effort he put into putting a screw in the mid section. I did mine all ghetto-like and took two length of sprue, and made a cross on the inside of the body, after I had already set the base piece of the torso at the bottom end of the crossed sprue bits.

Yeah, it's cheap and non-fancy, but no one will ever see it and it keeps to body from ever falling off.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For "semi-rough test models" those are crisp as hell. Nice job.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

As always, these guys own. Don't stop doing what you're doing. And god drat do I wish heavy bolters were as effective as they are cool.

Heavy bolters need to be Salvo 3/4. Or at least 2/3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

adamantium|wang posted:

Heavy bolters need to be Salvo 3/4. Or at least 2/3.

We house-ruled that they were salvo 2/3 a couple weeks ago and they were just decent enough to where it wasn't an automatic discard for an Autocannon (Havocs), which I think was a nice balance because it wasn't YOU HAVE TO TAKE THEM good, but just nice enough to where options were weighed.

• Locked thread