Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

This happened Saturday night. Started it Sunday morning and it was still ticking. Started it again Monday evening to show it to the tow truck driver and it sounded like... uh, a tired old small block. Totally goddamn normal. So he just drove it up onto the ramp and I parked it at the shop as if nothing had happened. Three days in the shop and they tested every goddamn thing and said they scoped it (guessing that means sticking a camera in it or something) and drove it 44 miles and came up with exactly nothing wrong with it apart from too much oil.

What in the goddamn :psyduck: uunnnggggghhhh
I don't know which engine your Burb has but... welcome to life with a (small/big) block Chevy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know which engine your Burb has but... welcome to life with a (small/big) block Chevy.

A '94 5.7 TBI. At least I have a little more confidence now that it'll make it to 200,000 miles, since that's around 1300 miles away.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
It's a small block chevy. After the nuclear apocalypse all that'll be left is a pile of 350s (the cars they put them in having long rusted away) and some Subarus.

My uncle had an old silverado with a bad head gasket- it started pouring coolant, got a little toasty, and cracked the block. He fixed the head gasket and put another five thousand miles on it as it was. When I asked him why he didn't replace the engine even though he had the means to do so and it sounded god-awful he replied, "Well, it still runs".

Fair enough.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
almost 10pm and the drug dealer neighbors are still playing loud rear end bass music.

7:02 am tomorrow it'll be time to tune carburetors.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

almost 10pm and the drug dealer neighbors are still playing loud rear end bass music.

7:02 am tomorrow it'll be time to tune carburetors.

"Boy, shame how these muffler bolts just fell out while it was parked last night!"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Seriously considering cinching the axle bolts down and setting the yz jetting in the morning. that fucker is way loud.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I support and endorse this plan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish there was a way to park the Civic in my bathroom so I could terrorize the people next to us. There's only so much crying baby I can take.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eat Taco Bell. it'll sound like a civic with a can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We filed a complaint about the baby, nothing happened for 5 weeks.This kid seriously cries day and night. So we had loud sex in the bathroom and a cop knocked on our door 20 minutes later.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wasn't there a SoCal AI thread here a while ago? I'm going to be killing time in Long Beach next week; a goonbeer might be a good idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got a laundry basket full of dirty clothes, including work clothes that I need for tomorrow.

.... along with a very broken washer, and the nearest laundromat is about 8 miles away. :sigh: Probably leave a couple of hours early and hit the laundromat by work.

At least it's just the timer. It fills, but won't agitate or spin unless you constantly gently caress with the timer (for a few seconds at a time for agitate; it'll usually do half of a spin cycle if you gently caress with it long enough, and only for wash... doesn't do anything except fill up for rinse now), and it makes arcing sounds/smells when you do. $150 for a new timer :argh: - should be here on Tuesday. Hopefully.

16 years with no repairs is decent, right?

Rhyno posted:

we had loud sex in the bathroom and a cop knocked on our door 20 minutes later.

:golfclap:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 13, 2014

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

We filed a complaint about the baby, nothing happened for 5 weeks.This kid seriously cries day and night. So we had loud sex in the bathroom and a cop knocked on our door 20 minutes later.

Please tell me this is true. Please.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Rhyno posted:

File a complaint with CPS.

I lived above a lovely weed drug dealer who thought he was a drummer. Some nights he'd get strung out on something and decide it was time to practice drumming, even after confronting him about it multiple times.

So I would go to the breaker box and shut off his power. He got the hint pretty fast after that.

This was when I was going to school full time and waking up at 130am for my lovely newspaper delivery job.

gently caress that guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Please tell me this is true. Please.

It is all true. The cop told us to quiet down, we complained about the baby and he just shrugged.

CPS doesn't seem to give a gently caress locally. On our old street we had a house with 11 kids living in it and half the time they had no power.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CPS is like critically underfunded pretty much everywhere; if you see the parents chucking the baby headfirst into concrete, they might get to the case in a month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

CPS is like critically underfunded pretty much everywhere; if you see the parents chucking the baby headfirst into concrete, they might get to the case in a month.

Remember when my car got a candle through the window? It was those kids.
Neighbors house got broken into? Those kids.
Vandalism and burglary throughout the neighborhood? Those kids.
There were witnesses and property found in the house but they were all minors so nobody did poo poo. We had already signed our lease here when one of the 16 year old boys beat a kid on the next block half to death. Only then did the police and CPS do something.

Every one of those kids was back in that house the day we moved the rest of our poo poo out. The "guardian" is also the woman who basically announced they were planning on robbing us but changed her mind when she saw us take the TV out the door.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm kind of regretting not buying a cheap MT AWD X Type that popped up around here last winter. I find the styling a bit forced and unattractive but the prices are pretty low for a reasonably solid car with that drive train. Some of the reviews I read gripe about the MT, but I'm not quite sure what the issue is (I haven't driven one). Does anyone have experience with this car?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Babies cry dude, some more than others, not much anyone can do about it especially the cops.

Filing a complaint about a crying baby is like filing a complaint that the sky is blue.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

leica posted:

Filing a complaint about a crying baby is like filing a complaint that the sky is blue.

Breeders.txt

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

An overly cholic-y baby can be a sign of neglect, so filing a report isn't really that bad of an idea I guess. Plus, it's Indiana, home of methheads and alcoholics.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.destroymyjeep.com/

I have to admit those Jeeps are pretty lovely. I am surprised Australians are buying them considering the Japanese equivalent is usually cheaper

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

I'm kind of regretting not buying a cheap MT AWD X Type that popped up around here last winter. I find the styling a bit forced and unattractive but the prices are pretty low for a reasonably solid car with that drive train. Some of the reviews I read gripe about the MT, but I'm not quite sure what the issue is (I haven't driven one). Does anyone have experience with this car?

I never would have thought of Jaguar as a solid car. I had to look it up. I didn't know it used a Ford FWD platform, itself a Mazda derivative. The Mazda "G" platform certainly got around.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Indiana. Txt and crazy baby momma's

Get out of Indiana. It will solve 90% of the problems that exist.

The other 10%? Your on your own.

In other news... The g/f and I officially moved into our new place. The guy that lives across the street is into dirt bikes and the guy next door has a pretty speced out GTP and a GTi he is building. The other dude loves to fish. Yep, I know its a townhouse (renting until we find the perfect house), but god drat my neighbors are cool people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Get out of Indiana. It will solve 90% of the problems that exist.

The other 10%? Your on your own.

Rhyno must live in the shittiest part of the most ghetto Fort Wayne. I lived there for my high school years and it was nothing buy upper-middle-class+ suburbia. There's not much in Fort Wayne other than the GM plant and some insurance companies' headquarters, so its demographic is more monied than most parts of the central midwest.

Rhyno, move out of the ghetto and get new friends. Your life will be better, but your stories will be worse.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So I promised pics of the Mini. Here she is in the scrappy...

http://imgur.com/knOmEua
http://imgur.com/AQog3rR
http://imgur.com/awgiv36
http://imgur.com/DZmPzZ8
http://imgur.com/gA6JY9U

The story is a touch more in depth. The seller sold my scrappy mate 4 classics. A super rare Vauxhall (80's coupe with ford V6) and a pair of jags. The seller was liquidating his cars, the jags have a years test on them! So this car was not meant to be scrapped really.

So the paint is bad, the body is good and the a pillar panel has some surface rust but not deep like most! Some plant life in the carpets and a hole or two but solid really :)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Running from St. Louis, MO. to International Falls, MN. today. First interstate road trip for the Sportwagen TDI.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Running from St. Louis, MO. to International Falls, MN. today. First interstate road trip for the Sportwagen TDI.

Iowa City waves at you collectively as you pass.

cursedshitbox posted:

Seriously considering cinching the axle bolts down and setting the yz jetting in the morning. that fucker is way loud.

250 or 125? I miss my little 125 so much. Learned how to ride on it, and used to ride in the streets when my parents weren't home. I'm sure my neighbors appreciated that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

thegasman2000 posted:

So I promised pics of the Mini. Here she is in the scrappy...

http://imgur.com/knOmEua
http://imgur.com/AQog3rR
http://imgur.com/awgiv36
http://imgur.com/DZmPzZ8
http://imgur.com/gA6JY9U

The story is a touch more in depth. The seller sold my scrappy mate 4 classics. A super rare Vauxhall (80's coupe with ford V6) and a pair of jags. The seller was liquidating his cars, the jags have a years test on them! So this car was not meant to be scrapped really.

So the paint is bad, the body is good and the a pillar panel has some surface rust but not deep like most! Some plant life in the carpets and a hole or two but solid really :)

If you don't want it pm me, I'll have that in a heartbeat.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgzxKepsjM

New Roadkill's up. Just what I needed to make this week suck less.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

trouser chili posted:

If you're feeling like BBQ, I suggest a lunch stop when you pass Des Moines. Smokey D's BBQ off the 2nd Street exit from I35 North is pretty great.

Edit : Nevermind, forgot which side of MN IF is on. You're probably going up though Wisconsin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgzxKepsjM

New Roadkill's up. Just what I needed to make this week suck less.

I thought they showed Roadkill at the end of each month. Neat!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Cakefool posted:

If you don't want it pm me, I'll have that in a heartbeat.

Sorry bit I am on this like white on rice. I also don't know what that means...

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

trouser chili posted:

Why are you going to International Falls? I've been there before to visit family and can't see why anyone would visit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

I thought they showed Roadkill at the end of each month. Neat!

Every 4th Friday.

I needed this episode today.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

trouser chili posted:

It rides really nice and the fuel gauge doesn't even seem to move, even at 80+ mph. I just got back from a road trip with mine. Baltimore to the Outer Banks, some driving around down there, and back, was just over 700mi. I used less than a tank and a half of fuel. I also was wearing my extremely heavy shoes on the way back.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Are you an engineer? If so you'll understand this and it will be way too familiar. If not...oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Are you an engineer? If so you'll understand this and it will be way too familiar. If not...oh well.

That's hilarious. And I've been in that exact meeting several times.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yup, that gave me flashbacks to way too many meetings. Sometimes I miss working on boats when I deal with poo poo like that, then I remember what I used to make compared to what I make now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Extra posted:

Breeders.txt

Shut up.

Motronic posted:

That's hilarious. And I've been in that exact meeting several times.

I would love to hear some examples of trying to explain engineering to dumb people.

• Locked thread