Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Someone explain this "all in the same cart" stuff for Mario Part 9, cause that concept makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I dunno what game you guys were playing, but Mario Party 9's "everybody rides the same cart" thing was not a buddy-buddy co-op thing whatsoever. Unless you all were just rolling stock dice and high fiving each other I guess.

Yeah, MK9 brought "gently caress you in particular" to a whole new loving level and I'm glad to see the mechanic brought back

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
All four players are loaded in a single vehicle, and switched who was controlling it after each roll. This changed the focus from trying to dick your friends over with items to trying and position the car so the next guy's turn will land on a bad square.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Elliotw2 posted:

All four players are loaded in a single vehicle, and switched who was controlling it after each roll. This changed the focus from trying to dick your friends over with items to trying and position the car so the next guy's turn will land on a bad square.

Yeah, this was pretty much it. It's a completely different kind of "screw the other players over" mechanic is all. But because of how it works, you're usually just dicking over the guys whose turn is after yours. There's a few situations where turn order can be reversed or scrambled, but otherwise your main goal is to be as big of an rear end in a top hat to the guy next in line, which is a lot easier since they can't avoid it (conversely, you can't avoid it either).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh. That sounds stupid as hell. You might as well not even have a board with dice at that point.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Macaluso posted:

Oh. That sounds stupid as hell. You might as well not even have a board with dice at that point.

The boards are linear in the sense that there is an "end space" you are all approaching, but there are enough branching paths and such that you can force your opponents through the shittiest path possible because why not.

I do miss the older system, but as long as there are plenty of opportunities to make your friends hate you, then Mario Party is doing its job.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 13, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The game actually does still work well with the single-car mechanic, but it's a bit tricky to explain unless you try it out. One big difference it results in is that games are more linear and bite-sized, with more of a tailored sequence of events and segments on each board.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

The game actually does still work well with the single-car mechanic, but it's a bit tricky to explain unless you try it out. One big difference it results in is that games are more linear and bite-sized, with more of a tailored sequence of events and segments on each board.

But then how will I use a Bowser Space to steal all of my best friend's hard-earned stars in the last turn and make him seriously contemplate committing homicide?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You set it up so he has to use the 1-3 dice block and you end your turn 2 spaces away from a bowser space, clearly.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But then how will I use a Bowser Space to steal all of my best friend's hard-earned stars in the last turn and make him seriously contemplate committing homicide?
Well I guess, in Mario Party 10, you can just cut out the middle-man outright and play as Bowser :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Have later iterations of the console done anything to address the controller's battery life or do you still only get about three hours thanks to that asinine tablet?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It gets 6+ hours according to your volume, screen brightness, and power saving settings. You can also get the Pro controller for most games and get very long battery times.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
NOA's online store used to sell an extended battery too but they don't anymore for some reason. Good thing I got mine!

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

It gets 6+ hours according to your volume, screen brightness, and power saving settings. You can also get the Pro controller for most games and get very long battery times.
Eh, realistically, it's closer to ~4hours at most, but there's an alternative, larger battery you can buy for it that lasts about twice as long. And of course, as you said, there's the Pro controller, which reportedly (I don't own one) has basically infinite battery life.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

Have later iterations of the console done anything to address the controller's battery life or do you still only get about three hours thanks to that asinine tablet?

The tablet can charge while you play, so even if you're having a marathon gaming session, just keep the tablet plugged in and you'll be fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Eh, realistically, it's closer to ~4hours at most, but there's an alternative, larger battery you can buy for it that lasts about twice as long.

Which has been back-ordered for the last six months.

quote:

And of course, as you said, there's the Pro controller, which reportedly (I don't own one) has basically infinite battery life.

Which costs an extra fifty bucks.

Oh, Nintendo, controllers will forever elude you.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

PrBacterio posted:

Eh, realistically, it's closer to ~4hours at most, but there's an alternative, larger battery you can buy for it that lasts about twice as long. And of course, as you said, there's the Pro controller, which reportedly (I don't own one) has basically infinite battery life.

I get 6+ hours with power saving and 2/3 brightness. The power brick is really long too so you can just have it plugged in.

edit: Also the controller is great since I actually haven't had my Wii U connected to a TV for about a month. It's like a portable console with better games.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

Which has been back-ordered for the last six months.
I did not know that. Glad I managed to snag one before they went out of stock, then :colbert:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
What's the best solution for wiimotes and wavebirds, then, now that it's all going to be useful for various games? I've seen folks mention those eneloop batteries, but I've never really considered getting them myself and I'd just as soon not have to throw out dead batteries every time I forget to take my batteries out of my wiimote after using it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Nintendo sells an official battery back and charger for the Wiimote, though either should be happy with basically any rechargable AA battery set.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Eneloops are magic, get eneloops

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I bought a Wii U, and I checked the games recommendations in the OP. I also noticed it's wildly out of date. I am also very wildly out of date on console games! :v:

Amazon has a poo poo ton of games that look good and they're dirt cheap right now. I was thinking of picking up:

Wonderful 101
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Rayman Legends
The Amazing Spiderman
Lego Marvel

And I'll probably grab Windwaker during the 30% off sale as I've literally never played it.

All of these games look pretty well rated, and are the kind of game I think I'd enjoy. But I rely on word of mouth more than numbers and star counts.

Any of these have any significant issues that hamper the game (control scheme problems etc.), and are the ones available on the PS4 better over there? I'm not trying to start a fight over it, I'm just going to be buying a PS4 later this year too. :shobon:

Also, any potential gems I am missing? I'm trying to keep things cheap and just pick up deeply discounted games from amazon.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Also, any potential gems I am missing? I'm trying to keep things cheap and just pick up deeply discounted games from amazon.

Super Mario 3D world
Donkey kong tropical freeze
Pikmin 3
Mario kart 8
Lego city undercover

enjoy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tsurupettan posted:

I bought a Wii U, and I checked the games recommendations in the OP. I also noticed it's wildly out of date. I am also very wildly out of date on console games! :v:

Amazon has a poo poo ton of games that look good and they're dirt cheap right now. I was thinking of picking up:

Wonderful 101
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Rayman Legends
The Amazing Spiderman
Lego Marvel

And I'll probably grab Windwaker during the 30% off sale as I've literally never played it.

All of these games look pretty well rated, and are the kind of game I think I'd enjoy. But I rely on word of mouth more than numbers and star counts.

Any of these have any significant issues that hamper the game (control scheme problems etc.), and are the ones available on the PS4 better over there? I'm not trying to start a fight over it, I'm just going to be buying a PS4 later this year too. :shobon:

Pretty sure that Spiderman is average on every platform, but I haven't actually played it, so don't quote me on that.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Tsurupettan posted:

Wonderful 101
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Rayman Legends
The Amazing Spiderman
Lego Marvel

I don't know about the other multi platform games you've listed but I can reassure you that for Rayman Legends, the Wii U version is probably the best one. Also if you like platformers (which it seems you do, judging by you including Rayman in your list), you really owe it to yourself to get Mario 3D World.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Super Mario 3D World is (IMHO) the best Mario platformer since Super Mario 64. Get it. It's awesome, like seriously a platformer masterpiece.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, get EarthBound on the Virtual Console; it's very good and is expensive to purchase a SNES cart for.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Also, get EarthBound on the Virtual Console; it's very good and is expensive to purchase a SNES cart for.

I played through it about five times and then sold it for $120 a few years ago. I am a monster. :v:

Yeah, I've heard Super Mario 3d World is really good, it's just $50 and I am a sucker who buys new.

e: I was looking through steam and, somehow, somewhere, I loving bought Arkham City already. What the gently caress. :v: God damnit steam sales! And everyone is saying that Origins is more of the same and 'just play Arkham City' instead.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 13, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I would get Lego City over Lego Marvel. Lego City does have some long loading issues in between missions though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, Lego Marvel's kinda crap. Buggy as all hell. I only played it for two days, and experienced 1 hard crash, and 2 times where the game bugged out and i couldn't continue because some event didn't trigger. Maybe they patched it, though?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tsurupettan posted:

e: I was looking through steam and, somehow, somewhere, I loving bought Arkham City already. What the gently caress. :v: God damnit steam sales! And everyone is saying that Origins is more of the same and 'just play Arkham City' instead.

The PC is almost always gonna be the better option for multi-platform stuff; even games with genuinely good Wii U ports like Deus Ex and Sonic All-Stars Transformed are better played on PC, and a lot of 'em tend to be missing features that the other versions have because the publishers couldn't be bothered to maintain parity (Arkham Origins doesn't have multiplayer, for example.)

The only real exception I can think of is Rayman Legends, but that was designed for Wii U from the very beginning (and the Wii U-centric features aren't to everyone's tastes).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaubocks posted:

I just did this last night. Create a new user, hook up your NNID, and then when it asks you to make a Mii you pick "choose existing Mii" and your 3DS Mii will be there. A little unintuitive and confusing, in my opinion.

I did this initially, and a few precautionary tips so you don't get "burned" like I did:

One, if you import your Mii from your 3DS (or Wii?) and decide to change its appearance on the Wii U, you will overwrite these changes the next time you open the eShop (or otherwise connect to Nintendo via your NNID) on your 3DS -- I guess it treats the 3DS Mii as the master copy since it originated on that system. Which leads to problem number 2...

I decided the "best" way to alleviate this was to create a new Mii on the Wii U and make it the new "Master Mii" for both systems (I don't know, I guess I felt the Mii Maker was more convenient with a 5" touchpad and 55" TV rather than the lovely 240p 3DS screens.) If you do this (you shouldn't, see below,) do not name this new Mii the exact same thing as the imported Mii, for perhaps more reasons than just the fact that Nintendoland won't seem to let you copy progress data to a Mii of the same name. That suggests that any other game that uses a Mii's name (and not the Mii itself) to store save data will do the same thing.

Of course, the best way to have gone about this would've been to just update the look of the "Master Mii" on the 3DS, gone online with it, and have it update on the Wii U automatically, but NOOOO. I've lost all of my Nintendoland progress, and there was a lot. :-(

TL;DR: if you import a Mii from one system to another to use as the main user's Mii, only make visual changes on the originating system or poo poo goes wrong.

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

I just got a Wii U and I can't get the loving gamepad to sync properly with the console. I do the whole sync button thing, and after typing in the code it just says "Can't communicate with Wii U, try moving closer blah blah". Really disappointing. What's weird is I can turn on the console with the gamepad so it seems like it's synced correctly, but doesn't realize it? Has anyone else had this issue or heard of this and knows how to fix it?

I called Nintendo support and they're suggesting I send it in for repair...but I'm not sure if I can redeem my warranty as it's for Latin America (:psyduck: Groupon)

Just want to play some Pikmans.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fozzle posted:

I just got a Wii U and I can't get the loving gamepad to sync properly with the console. I do the whole sync button thing, and after typing in the code it just says "Can't communicate with Wii U, try moving closer blah blah". Really disappointing. What's weird is I can turn on the console with the gamepad so it seems like it's synced correctly, but doesn't realize it? Has anyone else had this issue or heard of this and knows how to fix it?

I called Nintendo support and they're suggesting I send it in for repair...but I'm not sure if I can redeem my warranty as it's for Latin America (:psyduck: Groupon)

Just want to play some Pikmans.

Do you have a Wiimote?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Actually I guess you need the Gamepad to do the initial setup dont you

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So where can I blow my next paycheque pre-ordering all this dumb E3 bullshit

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So you can you can double dip on those best buy coupons that give you $20 dollars off. That they're handing out at the best buys during the saturday smash event.

You can even use them at different best buy locations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for Canadians - Target CA has Pikmin 3 for $30 right now.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Buy WiiU. Console comes with Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker HD gets me points towards Deluxe Digital and coins in Club Nintendo. Buy Mario Kart 8. Comes with free game. Get New Super Mario Bros U. Both games get me points towards Deluxe Digital and coins in Club Nintendo.

If I understand this right, the Deluxe Digital points can be cashed in for eShop credit which I'll use to get another game which will get me more points towards Deluxe Digital and more coins in Club Nintendo. Haven't even done anything with the coins yet. :stare:

still wish I coulda grabbed super metroid from club nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It really is too bad the kill it off at the end of the year. I'm silently hoping they change their mind and keep it going through the rest of the consoles life but they've shelved less expensive ventures than this in the past.

• Locked thread