Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Read the decision, it's pretty short: http://www.scribd.com/doc/229021741/Vergara-v-California

As most of you should know, if any federal law (or state law for some states) is quasi-racist in the US it gets auto-overturned because of the 14th Amendment (and corresponding portions of state constitutions).

The interesting part of this decision is the idea that teacher quality directly affects student outcomes. This is the product of research by economists like Raj Chetty and Tom Kane (expert witnesses here).

Anyway, this is just a lower court decision, but still an interesting result of social science research.

I've read that research and there are some real huge holes in it.

Interestingly enough, ASA just came out with it's own study slamming the unreliability of Value Added Measurement, especially when compared to other factors which are more stronger predictors of a students' academic achievement. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/04/13/statisticians-slam-popular-teacher-evaluation-method/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

'The Students'.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

paranoid randroid posted:

Considering Pando's recent takedown of Khanna as a nothing sandwich with a bit of corporate schmear, this is pretty alarming.

Honda netted below 50% (48.5%) in the primary. If every Republican switched to vote Khanna and the higher overall Republican turnout stays for the general (as would be expected for a midterm), Khanna would win. On the other hand, that assumes that Republican voters actually choose to vote in a race with two Democrats on the ballot and know enough to vote for Khanna over the incumbent.

That said, these primaries are almost certainly going to have lower turnout than the generals, and, if anyone was energized, it was likely to be Republicans (due to the gubernatorial race), rather than Democrats (who might not have been as aware of the congressional race). But it's very likely to be a squeaker either way.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Mark my words: when the culture war bullshit is over and gay marriage and weed are no longer issues people give a poo poo about, a shitload of formerly Obama-loving Silicon Valley types will start voting for and supporting the GOP.
Yeah.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Welp, I guess I should get the rest of my extended family out to vote here in CA-17, although Honda doesn't seem like he's in big trouble to me. Khanna would have to get something like 95% of the non-Honda/Khanna vote in the primaries to win the general election, which seems a little high to me, even with incumbency effects and all. Need to find some political science research on the topic...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Welp, I guess I should get the rest of my extended family out to vote here in CA-17, although Honda doesn't seem like he's in big trouble to me. Khanna would have to get something like 95% of the non-Honda/Khanna vote in the primaries to win the general election, which seems a little high to me, even with incumbency effects and all. Need to find some political science research on the topic...

On the other hand the non-Hobda/Khanna vote was exclusively for Republican candidates, of which there will be none in November. It's still hoping Republicans split 95/5 for Khanna, but it's not like Honda, as a progressive, has a leg up on this account.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AshB posted:

My disclaimer is that I don't know much about these issues, so I'm just asking questions out of genuine curiosity here. I don't think the legal reasoning in that opinion is very strong, but if it's upheld, why would it be a bad thing to pass legislation with more objective criteria for firing teachers rather than basing it on seniority? I mean I guess the "objective criteria" they would look at first is test scores, but would it be so bad if they forewent looking at test scores and used other criteria for assessing teachers? Seniority seems pretty arbitrary too.

From my own experience working within these educational reform movements, it doesn't really come down to firing the ineffective teachers. The older teachers get run out on a rail, generally targeted aggressively by administrators from the beginning of the school year. After that, everyone that doesn't fit the mold gets the axe. Once you start getting 50% turnover within a school year after year, it's very easy for administration to sort of break the preexisting culture of a school and replace it with something else.

It usually seems to come down to culture rather than student achievement. An older teacher with successful students will get run out long before a younger, more tech saavy teacher with unsuccessful students, in large part because the upper level administrators (district managers) will be walking classrooms looking for specific styles of teaching and for compliance with district initiatives rather than actually looking at test scores. Now, at the end of the year, your pay adjustment for next year may be based on those test scores (and things like student surveys to see if the kids liked you).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

From my own experience working within these educational reform movements, it doesn't really come down to firing the ineffective teachers. The older teachers get run out on a rail, generally targeted aggressively by administrators from the beginning of the school year. After that, everyone that doesn't fit the mold gets the axe. Once you start getting 50% turnover within a school year after year, it's very easy for administration to sort of break the preexisting culture of a school and replace it with something else.

It usually seems to come down to culture rather than student achievement. An older teacher with successful students will get run out long before a younger, more tech saavy teacher with unsuccessful students, in large part because the upper level administrators (district managers) will be walking classrooms looking for specific styles of teaching and for compliance with district initiatives rather than actually looking at test scores. Now, at the end of the year, your pay adjustment for next year may be based on those test scores (and things like student surveys to see if the kids liked you).

This is spot on. It's important for teachers to be free to be advocates for students and for school culture, and to be able to conduct an open dialog with administrators. There's no way for that to happen in a system without seniority or tenure.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

litany of gulps posted:

The story I like to remind people about when it comes to teacher reform whatever is Mr. Stand and Deliver "How can I reeeeeech these kids" Jaime Escalante, who worked diligently to establish a high-performing mathematics program in his school, by partnering with a local community college and a fellow teacher at his site. He basically had the fellow do prep-work on kids for a year or two, get them to the point where Escalante could work with them to strengthen their higher level skills, then have them take supplementary courses at the CC to round it out.

He was almost fired early on because a janitor complained he was on school too early. He received massive pushback from others because he was establishing an 'elite' program. And when the administrator that had his back eventually left the school, the new bosses dismantled his program. Keep in mind also that while everyone loves to rattle off the chicano miracle, the LA school district did jack poo poo in terms of learning from him.

So the question to ask is, why does the lawsuit look to punish bad teachers, instead of find ways to promote the actions of good teachers?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

So the question to ask is, why does the lawsuit look to punish bad teachers, instead of find ways to promote the actions of good teachers?

You've gotta be careful with this too, because often the reform movements try to conceal their punishment-oriented regimes by couching them in vocabulary that claims to promote good teaching.

For example, the Teacher Excellence Initiative in Dallas ISD is a program designed to alter the pay scales for teachers. Rather than basing pay on years served and education level, it will be based on performance evaluations, student test scores, and student surveys.

When discussing this initiative, proponents will carry on about how the top end of the TEI scale allows for skilled teachers to make far more money in a shorter time period than the previous system, which ideally would encourage skilled teachers to work for the district.

You dig a little deeper and you realize that there are quotas on each level of pay, and the top several categories combined have a quota of 2% of the teachers in the district. Beyond that, it requires numerous observations from people who are rating you based on adherence to district rhetoric rather than any real achievement. Realistically, hardly anyone is going to reach those high pay levels, and thus the carrot part of the initiative is an illusion.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

You've gotta be careful with this too, because often the reform movements try to conceal their punishment-oriented regimes by couching them in vocabulary that claims to promote good teaching.

For example, the Teacher Excellence Initiative in Dallas ISD is a program designed to alter the pay scales for teachers. Rather than basing pay on years served and education level, it will be based on performance evaluations, student test scores, and student surveys.

When discussing this initiative, proponents will carry on about how the top end of the TEI scale allows for skilled teachers to make far more money in a shorter time period than the previous system, which ideally would encourage skilled teachers to work for the district.

You dig a little deeper and you realize that there are quotas on each level of pay, and the top several categories combined have a quota of 2% of the teachers in the district. Beyond that, it requires numerous observations from people who are rating you based on adherence to district rhetoric rather than any real achievement. Realistically, hardly anyone is going to reach those high pay levels, and thus the carrot part of the initiative is an illusion.

Additionally:

The Atlantic posted:

But here’s where Judge Reulf’s theory is faulty: Getting rid of these bad laws may do little to systemically raise student achievement. For high-poverty schools, hiring is at least as big of a challenge as firing, and the Vergara decision does nothing to make it easier for the most struggling schools to attract or retain the best teacher candidates.

From 2009 to 2011, the federal government offered 1,500 effective teachers in 10 major cities—including Los Angeles—a $20,000 bonus to transfer to an open job at a higher poverty school with lower test scores. In the world of public education, $20,000 is a major financial incentive. All these teachers were already employed by urban districts with diverse student populations; they weren’t scared of working with poor, non-white children. Yet less than a quarter of the eligible teachers chose to apply for the bonuses. Most did not want to teach in the schools that were the most deeply segregated by race and class and faced major pressure to raise test scores.

Principals have known about this problem for ages. In Chicago, economist Brian Jacob found that when the city’s school district made it easier for principals to fire teachers, nearly 40 percent of principals, including many at the worst performing, poorest schools, fired no teachers at all. Why? For one thing, firing a coworker is unpleasant. It takes more than a policy change to overturn the culture of public education, which values collegiality and continuous improvement over swift accountability. That culture is not a wholly bad thing—with so many teachers avoiding the poorest schools, principals have little choice but to work with their existing staffs to help them get better at their jobs.

The lesson here is that California’s tenure policies may be insensible, but they aren’t the only, or even the primary, driver of the teacher-quality gap between the state’s middle-class and low-income schools. The larger problem is that too few of the best teachers are willing to work long-term in the country’s most racially isolated and poorest neighborhoods. There are lots of reasons why, ranging from plain old racism and classism to the higher principal turnover that turns poor schools into chaotic workplaces that mature teachers avoid. The schools with the most poverty are also more likely to focus on standardized test prep, which teachers dislike. Plus, teachers tend to live in middle-class neighborhoods and may not want a long commute.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/06/california-rules-teacher-tenure-laws-unconstitutional/372536/

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
That Article misses the mark. The problem is not attracting great teachers to poor schools, hey someday that would be nice, but there's a bigger problem to fix first.

The problem here is that since it is basically impossible to fire horrible or ineffective teachers, they inevitably get shuffled off to poor schools. (which is where the equal protection argument comes from) Why? Because parents in wealthier districts raise holy hell until the administrators transfer the dregs of teaching into districts where the parents can't speak English and/or have too many other socioeconomic problems and don't have time to check on the school or complain. This is what the judge was talking about when he referred to "the dance of the lemons".

The teacher unions have often been preaching more money and smaller class sizes, but in California that is ludicrous because depending on the year they are already either the highest-paid or the 2nd-highest paid teachers of all the states in the nation, so money isn't an issue.

This isn't complicated. Government employees in California already are protected by strong unions and have solid dismissal processes to ensure due process. There's no reason why that same process can't work, if a district really wants to fire a teacher and can objectively articulate and show a reason for dismissal, they should be able to do it. Tenure is also a ridiculous concept at the grade school or high school level because it is generally intended to protect college professors who may decide to engage in controversial research, which just is not applicable below the college level.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 12, 2014

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

Well, by the state's own admission, at least 1-3% of CA teachers are, their words, "grossly incompetent". Not just below average or ineffective, but ridiculously bad. That is a fact that all parties in the case, plaintiffs and defendants, agreed on.

It is almost impossible to fire them in CA, and they usually get transferred to poor schools or stuck in an empty room for 8 hours a day with pay. Why should that be?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Northjayhawk posted:

The teacher unions have often been preaching more money and smaller class sizes, but in California that is ludicrous because depending on the year they are already either the highest-paid or the 2nd-highest paid teachers of all the states in the nation, so money isn't an issue.

The teacher unions are right though. Even if Californian teachers are paid more than any other state, the Census Bureau found that Californian teachers receive only $5,515 per pupil in total pay (including benefits) in 2012, placing it 33rd in spending on instruction per pupil. In order to be paid so "highly" with per-pupil instructional spending below the national average of $6,430, Californian teachers must necessarily be instructing more students per class. Bringing California up to the average, then, requires increased spending or smaller class sizes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Northjayhawk posted:

That Article misses the mark. The problem is not attracting great teachers to poor schools, hey someday that would be nice, but there's a bigger problem to fix first.

The problem here is that since it is basically impossible to fire horrible or ineffective teachers, they inevitably get shuffled off to poor schools. (which is where the equal protection argument comes from) Why? Because parents in wealthier districts raise holy hell until the administrators transfer the dregs of teaching into districts where the parents can't speak English and/or have too many other socioeconomic problems and don't have time to check on the school or complain. This is what the judge was talking about when he referred to "the dance of the lemons".

This isn't complicated. Government employees in California already are protected by strong unions and have solid dismissal processes to ensure due process. There's no reason why that same process can't work, if a district really wants to fire a teacher and can objectively articulate and show a reason for dismissal, they should be able to do it. Tenure is also a ridiculous concept at the grade school or high school level because it is generally intended to protect college professors who may decide to engage in controversial research, which just is not applicable below the college level.

I read this a while ago and while not amazing or recent (it's pre-housing market crash), it focuses on teachers and interviews with those debating leaving the field or who left including a few CA schoolteachers:

http://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Have-It-Easy-Sacrifices/dp/1595581286

What I hadn't realized (and I should have knowing family who are public school teachers/administrators with stories) is that for the bullshit, the rewards, everything, you have to be certain kinds of hosed up to want to teach. We got "lucky" that 50 years ago pay equality for women was nonsense and MRS degrees were a social norm because we could suppress teacher wages for a long time.

That time is over. Who wants an 60-80 hour a week job, even if only for 10 months out of the year (with two months of training and curriculum prep and maybe also teaching summer school in-between wee) when you make less than an engineer in silicon valley does? Or, as was very common in the book, a real-estate agent. All the teachers smart enough to be great teachers said "gently caress it, I can't afford to live in the city I teach in, and I am walking on eggshells my whole career, with only bad things coming from parents. Time to use my intelligence to live a happy life."

These people left because they could double their income and halve their work hours, often. I don't think you appreciate the stress involved, the depression that sets in teaching in bad schools where kids are too tired, too sick, too hungry, and too distrustful to learn from you, yet you could change their lives?

We can bitch and moan about union perks or union retirement scales, but in simple terms for the money invested in that education, and the opportunities smart, capable people we need teaching are surrounded by, are you surprised they take the easier money? You have to be a martyr to want this in some screwed up cases.

The way to get more teachers from the teachers (young and old) I know is going to take a couple of things:

1) Get rid of their student loans somehow.
2) Pay them the same as someone with a high-demand Masters or PhD.
3) Give them trained teachers aids or smaller class sizes to reduce work hours.
4) Give kids more food/safe places to stay.
5) Don't make their pay depend on tests or training that comes out of their free time or their wallets.

As long as you hemorrhage or cannot lure talented people to teach, you are stuck with dumb motherfuckers who can't teach but are willing to not give a poo poo. At the end of the day the administration needs x warm bodies in the classrooms, and as long as they don't molest anyone it's better than no teacher. You have to work from the incentivizing top performers down, not by being able to cut the lowest wrung of the ladder easier.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2014

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Blindeye posted:

As long as you hemorrhage or cannot lure talented people to teach, you are stuck with dumb motherfuckers who can't teach but are willing to not give a poo poo. At the end of the day the administration needs x warm bodies in the classrooms, and as long as they don't molest anyone it's better than no teacher. You have to work from the incentivizing top performers down, not by being able to cut the lowest wrung of the ladder easier.

I guess I can live with tenure, if the process of granting it was rational. Most states do have it, but almost no one forces a school to make a decision in less time than CA. Having to make a decision in less than 1.5 years is just not enough time, 5 years is a better mark. If the security of tenure is that important to the teachers, give the administrators more time to establish that a teacher is worth it. Its still a decently-paying gig, so they should be able to attract reasonable talent.

Regarding rewarding high performers, the teachers unions in California actually oppose that. They believe, basically, that it is impossible to objectively determine if one teacher is better than another, and so they insist that tenure and higher education degrees be the only 2 things to base all important employment-related and pay decisions on. (Rewarding high performers inevitably lead to debate about bad teachers, better in the union's eyes to say that there's no way to determine who is a good or bad teacher)

As far as your objections to cutting the worst teachers, we can't wave our hands and say thats not important right now, the courts are still going to insist that "grossly incompetent" teachers not be lumped into the poor schools due to equal protection concerns. The only reasonable way to do that is to somehow make it reasonably possible to fire those teachers.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 12, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Northjayhawk posted:

At the grade school and high school levels it's supposed to protect teachers from being fired for teaching the "wrong" things in the wrong districts - i.e. evolution in a bible-thumping hellhole - or just plain teaching students things that clash with the ideologies of the administration. I realize we are becoming a country in which teachers no longer control anything they teach or the way they teach it, but tenure for primary education teachers is to protect them from being fired over teaching things that administrators or parents don't like, which are, none the less, facts.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Northjayhawk posted:

Well, by the state's own admission, at least 1-3% of CA teachers are, their words, "grossly incompetent". Not just below average or ineffective, but ridiculously bad. That is a fact that all parties in the case, plaintiffs and defendants, agreed on.

It is almost impossible to fire them in CA, and they usually get transferred to poor schools or stuck in an empty room for 8 hours a day with pay. Why should that be?

I wonder if there is any data on where those 1-3% of teachers work. Is it 1% terrible in higher-income districts and 3% in lower-income? Is it closer to 0% in higher-income and nearing 15-20% in lower-income?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As long as "school reform" focuses on penalizing teachers, regimenting standards, and teaching students to only take tests, nothing is going to get fixed. Downsizing is not an educational improvement. Prospective teachers are being driven away in droves because they know that the job is already tough and the institution is heavily under fire, and prospective parents are seeking out any alternatives they can because they don't want their kids to go to a downsized school.

Northjayhawk posted:

I guess I can live with tenure, if the process of granting it was rational. Most states do have it, but almost no one forces a school to make a decision in less time than CA. Having to make a decision in less than 1.5 years is just not enough time, 5 years is a better mark. If the security of tenure is that important to the teachers, give the administrators more time to establish that a teacher is worth it. Its still a decently-paying gig, so they should be able to attract reasonable talent.

Regarding rewarding high performers, the teachers unions in California actually oppose that. They believe, basically, that it is impossible to objectively determine if one teacher is better than another, and so they insist that tenure and higher education degrees be the only 2 things to base all important employment-related and pay decisions on. (Rewarding high performers inevitably lead to debate about bad teachers, better in the union's eyes to say that there's no way to determine who is a good or bad teacher)

As far as your objections to cutting the worst teachers, we can't wave our hands and say thats not important right now, the courts are still going to insist that "grossly incompetent" teachers not be lumped into the poor schools due to equal protection concerns. The only reasonable way to do that is to somehow make it reasonably possible to fire those teachers.

Well tenure basically exists in primary education because a teacher's performance is reliant on the quality of their students and the cooperation of the parents - something that is completely out of their control. Teachers unions want peer evaluations rather than student evaluations, because they know that the quickest way to ruin a teacher's success rate is to send them into a classroom filled with poor children that have disruptive home lives. Mrs. Brown shouldn't see her job jeopardized because of a lack of parental engagement. That policy forces teachers to protect themselves at the expense of their student's education - whether that means teaching to the test, reducing extracurriculars, or punting delinquent students.

The court made the same mistake that so many conservative reformers make, conflating demographics with teacher performance. It should be completely unsurprising that the toughest schools have the least effective teachers - the environment itself reduces teacher effectiveness and deters teachers from wanting to work there. The judge's argument basically can be reduced to the concept that if a layoff is going to happen anyway, then a hypothetical junior all-star teacher would be fired rather than this supposed senior incompetent - and that it's the fault of tenure that is harming students rather than, say, the layoff. It's a pretty weak argument that relies entirely on supposition, and I doubt that the CA Supreme Court will be giving it much consideration when this case eventually reaches their bench.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 12, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what tenure is. Tenure does not mean a teacher can't be fired, rather tenure is the "strong due process" that you're referring to. All it means is that if the administration wants to fire a teacher, they have to go through a neutral arbitrator to do so.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Papercut posted:

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what tenure is. Tenure does not mean a teacher can't be fired, rather tenure is the "strong due process" that you're referring to. All it means is that if the administration wants to fire a teacher, they have to go through a neutral arbitrator to do so.

he's good at parroting school reform myths like claiming tenure means employment for life

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like the whole debate is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I know it's not especially useful to say so, but I'm increasingly thinking that our institutionalized, regimental approach to education is mostly ineffective, that 90% of the traditional curriculum is useless, and that we as a nation and a culture need to reexamine what education is actually for.

It's a fact that the creation of government-funded mandatory primary education was a massive, massive leap forward for every society that has undertaken it, I'm not denying that. I just think we're still using a model invented two or three hundred years ago, and it's time to maybe go for another big upgrade in how we prepare children for careers, adulthood, citizenship, society, and the challenges of the modern world.

Just as an example, one of the biggest issues is the disengagement between parents and schools/teachers, and another is the odd division between things we expect parents to teach and things we expect schools to teach. We also use "likelihood of success in college" as a defining metric for testing, instead of "likelihood to become a well-rounded individual" or even "likelihood of succeeding in a job." Even though success in college is based on similar testing criteria and the ability to complete a degree, rather than likelihood of getting a decent-paying job in one's chosen career.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to measure a person's lifetime potential for success and happiness. The ability of a person to contribute to society is difficult to quantify, but aren't those things the actually-important outcomes that education is supposed to provide?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

Excuse me but haven't you watched Waiting For Superman like every good American who cares about the future of our children to pay a conglomerate every step of the way through a lifetime of education?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Northjayhawk posted:

Poor schools often have the highest numbers of emergency and alternative certification teachers working in them (as well as TAs given classrooms like full teachers). An emergency or alternative certification usually means you have a bachelor's degree (in anything), you get trained for 0-14 days, then are placed in a classroom and called a teacher. At the end of the year, if your principal signs off on your certification, you become a full, qualified teacher.

Why would a poor school want a completely unknown, untrained teacher? Well, if the prospective teacher requires your signature at the end of the year, then they're under your thumb. If you're in it for ideology, that's ideal. If you can't find any candidates because, as part of a reform movement, you've fired off tons of teachers and everyone is running scared, then it may just be your only option.

I question how many of these grossly incompetent teachers aren't trained teachers at all, but rather random people with degrees that wanted to play at teacher and got the opportunity to because the districts can't find anyone qualified to do the job.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

Poor schools often have the highest numbers of emergency and alternative certification teachers working in them (as well as TAs given classrooms like full teachers). An emergency or alternative certification usually means you have a bachelor's degree (in anything), you get trained for 0-14 days, then are placed in a classroom and called a teacher. At the end of the year, if your principal signs off on your certification, you become a full, qualified teacher.

Why would a poor school want a completely unknown, untrained teacher? Well, if the prospective teacher requires your signature at the end of the year, then they're under your thumb. If you're in it for ideology, that's ideal. If you can't find any candidates because, as part of a reform movement, you've fired off tons of teachers and everyone is running scared, then it may just be your only option.

I question how many of these grossly incompetent teachers aren't trained teachers at all, but rather random people with degrees that wanted to play at teacher and got the opportunity to because the districts can't find anyone qualified to do the job.

This is purely anecdotal, but I did Teach for America in Baton Rouge in 2009. After five weeks of "training", which included only eight hours of time in front of a classroom, I was dropped into a classroom full of first-graders. This particular elementary school had been a charter school the previous year, but it performed badly, so the entire staff was fired and it was given over to a privately run, for-profit charter. This charter hired an entire staff of first-year Teach For America teachers, all of whom were on emergency certifications. (It also hired a first-year principal, a first-year vice principal, and a counselor who hadn't yet completed her Master's degree in counseling and had an un-related bachelor's degree.) For my emergency certification, I literally went once a month to a certification session where a certified teacher talked to us for two and a half hours about teaching. There was no practical aspect to it--it was entirely lecture-based, and there was no real feedback on our teaching performance.

The year went as well as you expect, and your last point is correct. Every single teacher from my school quit either after the first year or the second year, and went into grad programs--either in law or public policy. Some of them are now assistant principals and principals at charter schools.

B B fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 12, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nonsense posted:

Excuse me but haven't you watched Waiting For Superman like every good American who cares about the future of our children to pay a conglomerate every step of the way through a lifetime of education?

Please don't mention that movie again; you will summon you-know-who.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Maybe in their next round of negotiations, the teacher's unions could insist that all contractual language use "due process" in place of "tenure". Let all of these privatizers attempt to sell the public on taking away teacher's due process.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

Maybe in their next round of negotiations, the teacher's unions could insist that all contractual language use "due process" in place of "tenure". Let all of these privatizers attempt to sell the public on taking away teacher's due process.

Oh they will. The new turn to dismantle public employee unions (since private employee unions are dying) is a major focus and won't be stopped by language or public pleas.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!
Vergara's tentative decision is only 16 pages, double-spaced in Courier. It's ugly, but it makes for quick reading. So if you're interested, tell me if I'm understanding this chain of reasoning right:

1) There is a fundamental right to equal access to education. (Brown.)

2) Both sides agree that teachers are super-important to education. (Look, the California Teaching Standards say right in their preamble that teachers are important!)

3) Both sides agree* that 1-3% of teachers are "grossly ineffective." (Given California's size, this is literally thousands of teachers.)

4) Grossly ineffective teachers hurt students, and deny them equal access to education. (Some of this harm can be quantified as lost future wages; an expert testified that a grossly ineffective teacher costs students $1.4 million per year.)

5) A preponderance of evidence shows that grossly ineffective teachers impose a disproportionate burden on poor and minority students.

6) Therefore, strict scrutiny is triggered, and we're off to the races.

Is this remotely in line with relevant precedents? What about cases relating to public safety or medical hiring practices? I agree with the opinion that California's labor practices seem rather counter-productive and undesirable. But those practices were approved by the legislature, and a judge should not discard them merely because they are not optimal and the underlying service is super-important. Other than (5), I'm not seeing any reason for strict scrutiny, and (5) is not very well-supported. (At least not within the current tentative decision.)

Given the generally low standards of the tentative decision's reasoning, my gut says the opinion is a grenade being lobbed into the culture war, and not an accurate statement of California jurisprudence intended to survive appeal, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask random strangers on the internet before I wander off muttering about the dangers of an overly ideological judiciary.

*:

Northjayhawk posted:

Actually, the phrase the tentative decision keeps repeating is "grossly ineffective" as in:

Vergara v. California posted:

Dr. Berliner, an expert called by State Defendants, testified that 1-3% of teachers in California are grossly ineffective.

Google did find an article using the word "incompetent" but that may well be due to the incompetence of 21st century online journalism.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's a fun game:

Dave47 posted:

1) There is a fundamental right to equal access to due process. (5th and 6th amendments.)

2) Both sides agree that judges are super-important to justice.

3) Both sides agree* that 1-3% of judges are "grossly ineffective." (Given the size of the judicial branch, this is literally thousands of judges.)

4) Grossly ineffective judges hurt defendants, and deny them equal access to the law. (Probably you can quantify this in terms of lost wages, but the human cost is obviously enormous.)

5) A preponderance of evidence shows that grossly ineffective judges impose a disproportionate burden on poor and minority defendants.

6) Therefore, strict scrutiny is triggered, and we're off to the races.

My point here, if it's not obvious, is that the judge's line of reasoning could be applied to any area of essential government service where incompetence has a measurable and significant impact on people's lives... and it's almost always the case that when it does, those impacts are disproportionately borne by minorities and the poor. Police, transportation, criminal justice, OSHA, EPA, you could come up with quite a few. If the result is that the government employees performing those tasks lose any right to seniority being a consideration for retaining their jobs, that would be... well, interesting, at the very least.

e. hell throw in the 7th and 8th amendments too. For example, I'd argue the practice of plea bargaining effectively violates the first part of the 7th amendment, because it constitutes powerful coercion by the state to prevent defendants from getting a jury trial; so prosecutorial incompetence is massively impactful on the disadvantaged.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2014

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Here's a fun game:

My point here, if it's not obvious, is that the judge's line of reasoning could be applied to any area of essential government service where incompetence has a measurable and significant impact on people's lives... and it's almost always the case that when it does, those impacts are disproportionately borne by minorities and the poor. Police, transportation, criminal justice, OSHA, EPA, you could come up with quite a few. If the result is that the government employees performing those tasks lose any right to seniority being a consideration for retaining their jobs, that would be... well, interesting, at the very least.

This is basically why I thought the opinion was weak and would probably get overturned. In a nutshell, it relies heavily on discriminatory impact without showing discriminatory intent. You generally need both for Equal Protection claims unless the statute or action is facially discriminatory, which it isn't here.

Also, although I can see the argument that the focus should be on attracting better talent rather than figuring out who to fire, that's not really an argument for why tenure is good. Attracting talent and firing bad teachers are two distinct issues. The more persuasive point for keeping tenure is that it just gives employees a form of due process rather than meaning "you can't get fired."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also, I'm not sure how exactly it was shown that removing tenure would actually result in <3% of California's teachers being grossly ineffective. That seems like a surprisingly low number to me in terms of organizations in general How does that correspond to the % of teachers that are first year teachers? Which could be a contributing factor.

I take for granted the "lemon toss", having seen it working in a school district that had no unions, no tenure, and a "right to work". But the lemons just had political connections instead of tenure.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

AshB posted:

Also, although I can see the argument that the focus should be on attracting better talent rather than figuring out who to fire, that's not really an argument for why tenure is good. Attracting talent and firing bad teachers are two distinct issues. The more persuasive point for keeping tenure is that it just gives employees a form of due process rather than meaning "you can't get fired."

The problem there is that talented teachers avoid problem schools like the plague, as evidenced earlier in the thread. Given a choice between well-behaved students who want to learn, and students who won't listen and might stab you or beat you up, anybody with a choice is going to choose the better school.

This effect would be bad enough with equal school funding (equal teacher salaries), but if most teachers turned down 20k in additional cash to work in a disadvantaged school, things aren't looking good.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

on the left posted:

The problem there is that talented teachers avoid problem schools like the plague, as evidenced earlier in the thread. Given a choice between well-behaved students who want to learn, and students who won't listen and might stab you or beat you up, anybody with a choice is going to choose the better school. This effect would be bad enough with equal school funding (equal teacher salaries), but if most teachers turned down 20k in additional cash to work in a disadvantaged school, things aren't looking good.

Absolutely, the stress is no joke. And this isn't just a bad-eggs behavioral issue - this is something that happens in every school district in America. Any Title I school is going to be dealing with this sort of thing to one degree or another. And teachers deal with it as best they can: They try to be compassionate and understanding, they'll schedule tests and exams for Wednesdays since that's the best day for kids that have tough home lives, they work late hours and make up classroom budget shortfalls out of their own pocket. But they can't fix everything, and there's still going to be some students that they can't connect with.

And that's why teachers need tenure - so that when a student spends half the year throwing obscene temper tantrums just like their mother/father, and the class can't concentrate on exams, the teacher doesn't get sacked for decreased test scores. They need tenure because of parents who go on a warpath because their kids didn't get enough Christ in Christmas. They need tenure because no one is hiring 55-yr-old school teachers that got pensioned because of budget cuts. And they need tenure because of rear end in a top hat judges and bureaucrats who decide to interject their politics into the classroom, despite never teaching a day in their lives.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

on the left posted:

This effect would be bad enough with equal school funding (equal teacher salaries), but if most teachers turned down 20k in additional cash to work in a disadvantaged school, things aren't looking good.

Yeah. I think a factor not mentioned though is that most teachers have families. It's not always easy to pack up your whole family and move, even if there's a $20k incentive. Plus if you have kids, moving may mean putting your own kids into the same shittier school district that you're going to work in. So even if your spouse is able to relocate, if $20k isn't enough to get all of your kids into better private schools or something, then maybe you turn it down.

I don't doubt that the $20k had plenty of strings attached, too. You probably had to commit to being there for x years, sign a bunch of stuff, wait at least a year to get the money, it comes in 12 annual payments, is taxed as income but doesn't count towards your retirement benefits, etc. etc. etc.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Tabbing through the ongoing vote tallies in the primary elections, I find it interesting that, except for the gubernatorial candidate Luis Rodriguez, every Green Party candidate got more votes than Jill Stein did in the state in 2012, with the Treasurer and Controller positions more than twice Stein's vote count, with more than 200k votes to Stein's 85k (and more than twice the registered party members, which tally only 100k in the state).

Are Greens that eager to vote for Obama?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

etalian posted:

On a side note how that wild high speed rail coming along?

In hindsight it probably would have been better to use the money to just unfuck masstransit for all the main population centers.

It's really really frustrating! It doesn't seem like the HSR project is being developed with any kind of coherent vision for connecting people to the train stations. Maybe we could spend some of the money on making California's conventional rail network viable or at least spend the money where it's going to do the most good for the environment? Instead it seems like a prestige project that state Democrats are now bound to defend to the death. Hope I'm wrong, but I've been watching this thing drag along since the 90s and it's pretty drat unimpressive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Are Greens that eager to vote for Obama?

Maybe more Greens figure the GOP is weak enough now that they can stop voting for Democrats?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CPColin posted:

Maybe more Greens figure the GOP is weak enough now that they can stop voting for Democrats?

I voted for a number of green candidates and that's pretty much my thinking exactly. I figure if the dems double-lose any races (like what almost happened with controller) then that's their own fault, and in most cases I'd rather try for a dem-green race in the November election than a dem-rep or dem-dem one. Although to be fair I did vote for Stein over Obama (so Vivian Darkbloom's post doesn't really apply to me), and if a race had a pro-business democrat and a progressive one I'd vote the progressive dem over the green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's really really frustrating! It doesn't seem like the HSR project is being developed with any kind of coherent vision for connecting people to the train stations. Maybe we could spend some of the money on making California's conventional rail network viable or at least spend the money where it's going to do the most good for the environment? Instead it seems like a prestige project that state Democrats are now bound to defend to the death. Hope I'm wrong, but I've been watching this thing drag along since the 90s and it's pretty drat unimpressive.

California's conventional rail network is viable. We just use it for freight, and the Capitol Corridor. Improvements would require new track, and if we're laying new track, why not make it high speed capable, since the real world cost differences are pretty slim (few communities would allow new railroad tracks with at grade crossings).

There are lots of good ideas for using local abandoned tracks for commuter lines, but that's not what HSR is targeting.