Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah I have a few apprentices on FB and they certainly were letting everyone know about it. Cue a couple of people popping up on their status saying it was totally fair and coincidentally they'd just qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They got letters? They could have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by not mailing letters. I'm sure if these were legitimate 'apprentices', they would not even care about the tools for trade program.

I can't wait for all the new chefs to get jobs and rock up without a knife roll. You mean I have to buy and maintain my tools? You can't even finish your education/apprenticeship without spending a heap of money on tools/uniforms.
Great way to support an understaffed and underpaid industry...

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

:australia: My hometown :australia:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The real news :greencube:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

All important decisions are made on the bus trip to Bowral.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

I see Australian politics at a crossroads. The perception of politicians has never been lower and it is clear to me that people are looking for more from their political representatives. They are sick of the excuses, the falsehoods and the spin. They want more principle in their politicians. Politics is in need of serious reform - it can either be initiated by the political class or ultimately it will be imposed by our political masters, the people

Cory Bernardi :staredog:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Just noticed it was posted at 3:30am. Southern Highlands journalists are working hard!

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

His lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Translink cops hopping on my bus to remind everyone a $220 fine applies from next month if a student is caught without a TCC.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Anidav posted:

Translink cops hopping on my bus to remind everyone a $220 fine applies from next month if a student is caught without a TCC.

Gotta get my application for that in. What's wrong with just my student card :argh:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
I went to 3 uni's in Australia - Sydney, Wollongong & Murdoch and every single time you'd need a special card or sticker on your student ID to qualify you for 'special' student rates. You had to live X amount away from the uni to qualify for the discount too so you couldn't just sign up for it. What a bunch of loving tightarse pricks, it's not liek students don't have enough expenses that the state can't afford them all discounted travel.

Ler fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 13, 2014

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

and concession discount is being lowered from 50% to 35% because gently caress you.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Gotta get my application for that in. What's wrong with just my student card :argh:

As someone who sells alcohol and cigarettes, the major reason is so employees don't have to become familiar with 100 different forms of ID to the point where they can tell forgeries.

We don't even take interstate drivers license.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

As someone who sells alcohol and cigarettes, the major reason is so employees don't have to become familiar with 100 different forms of ID to the point where they can tell forgeries.

the difference is that you are trying to prevent underage drinking, they are trying to prevent people traveling to school for 10$ a day rather than 20.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Yeah Bro posted:

the difference is that you are trying to prevent underage drinking, they are trying to prevent people traveling to school for 10$ a day rather than 20.

What's wrong with underage drinking?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's funny when people show me their highschool ID at work and they are in like year 10 or something an ask for cigarettes. Yeah totally, I'm going to risk my job and a massive fine, keep getting mad.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sparticle posted:

and concession discount is being lowered from 50% to 35% because gently caress you.

It's worse if you're unemployed, no discount at all and gently caress all money to catch transport.

Also, they announced they're not lowering concession after the huge outrage from pensioners.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Do a Bowral roll

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dear friends, with exams almost over my job seeking will come full force. I need advice of what I can do besides:
A. Handing out my resume in person (Only about 30% of stores seem to take it)
B. Waiting on SEEK (The most I can seem to get out of SEEK so far is an interview)

What else can I do to make myself have a guaranteed job with a legal wage? I don't want to waste a whole free months feeding resumes into some website like a loving Pokie Machine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Queensland, continuing from yesterdays Queensland

quote:

Barrister quits over Carmody appointment process

Date
June 13, 2014 - 4:46PM

56 reading now
Comments 21

Natalie Bochenski

The president of Queensland’s Bar Association has resigned citing a lack of faith in the process of appointing the state’s new Chief Justice.

Peter Davis QC released a statement saying his resignation was not a personal criticism of Tim Carmody, who was appointed by the Newman government on Thursday.

Mr Davis said he believed a conversation he had with Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie on June 3, which had involved discussion of Judge Carmody’s potential appointment, had been leaked.

“By Friday morning (6 June), news was filtering back to me from various sources, including details of what I had discussed with the Attorney-General on Tuesday,” he said.

“Some of that information could only have come from a participant in the meeting. Some of the information was a distortion of what had been said.”

Mr Davis said during a subsequent emergency Bar Council meeting he wrote to Mr Bleijie to confirm his position.

“It is not appropriate to disclose the content of that letter, save to say that it did not urge the appointment of Judge Carmody,” he said.

Mr Davis also claimed that during a phone call on June 8 a close colleague of Judge Carmody told another Bar Council member that Judge Carmody’s appointment was a “fait accompli” and the Bar Association should support it.

Mr Davis, who as president of the Bar Association represented the state’s barristers, said the government claimed to have consulted widely on the appointment.

“My sense though is that there was little, if any, support for the appointment within the legal profession and little, or none, within the ranks of sitting Supreme Court judges,” he wrote.

“Senior figures warned against the appointment and some have spoken out against it since its announcement.”

Mr Davis said he had tried to maintain the dignity of the courts through the appointment process but his position was no longer tenable.

“The Bar Association ought to be involved in the process of appointment of judges. That is done through the President. As I have no faith in the integrity of the process I cannot engage further in it,” his statement concluded.

“I have concluded, with great regret and sadness, that I ought not continue to hold the office of President.”

The Queensland Law Society, which represents the state’s solicitors, gave their support to Judge Carmody after his appointment.

But Judge Carmody told Fairfax Radio 4BC on Friday that others, including the Bar Association, had not.

“It’s regrettable that not one of the Supreme Court judges has congratulated me yet,” Mr Carmody said.

“I’m surprised and hurt – these are people I’ve known for 30 years, what do they think, I changed colours in the last ten minutes?”

Mr Carmody said he would work hard to gain the trust and respect of colleagues with doubts.

“I would’ve thought of all professions that lawyers would understand and give practical expression to fairness, the fair go,” he said.

“They know what it looks like in the legal books, they know how it’s defined, but not all of them know how to extend it when it comes to the practice of it.”

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/barrister-quits-over-carmody-appointment-process-20140613-zs7ds.html#ixzz34WPj3Wib

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/06/13/the-astonishing-rise-of-tim-carmody-newmans-favourite-judge/?wpmp_switcher=mobile - if anyone has a crikey account can they please quote this

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Anidav posted:

Dear friends, with exams almost over my job seeking will come full force. I need advice of what I can do besides:
B. Waiting on SEEK (The most I can seem to get out of SEEK so far is an interview)

What else can I do to make myself have a guaranteed job with a legal wage? I don't want to waste a whole free months feeding resumes into some website like a loving Pokie Machine.

Find companies, look up who the managing director is, guess the email (Mary.Brown@company.com.au is usually a safe bet), write a cover letter (individualise slightly, but don't waste too much effort), attach resume.
Churn these out, eventually you'll get someone who goes "actually I AM looking for someone..."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Just give up now:

quote:

Most Baby Boomers have no intention of retiring

Thursday, 29 May 2014
Research from the University of Adelaide shows that almost three-quarters of South Australian Baby Boomers do not intend to completely give up work.

In a survey of almost 900 people aged 50-65, only 26% said they would completely retire, while 74% said they would either: move from full-time to part-time employment (42%); reduce their part-time hours (25%); or not retire at all (7%).

The study was conducted by a team of researchers in the University's Population Research and Outcome Studies unit (School of Medicine) and the Australian Population and Migration Research Centre (School of Social Sciences) to better understand the health, social and economic factors involved in people's intentions to retire.

"What surprised us about the results of this survey is the large number of Baby Boomers who indicated that they would either just reduce their hours and keep working beyond the age of 65 years, or not retire at all," says study co-author Dr Helen Feist, Deputy Director of the Australian Population and Migration Research Centre at the University of Adelaide.

"This group represents almost three-quarters of Baby Boomers surveyed, which is a significant number with major implications for the future of the Australian workforce."

"Australia's culture of early retirement, which has been so pervasive over so many years, is being replaced by a culture of gradual retirement, with continued part-time employment."

"At a time when there is national debate about the retirement age being lifted to 70 by 2035, studies such as this will help us to better understand what our population is intending to do, and why. Importantly, this survey was conducted before the current Federal Government was elected," Dr Feist says.

The survey shows that Baby Boomer women, those with lower education levels, and those who save their money regularly are the most likely to retire completely from the workforce. The authors also believe that the Global Financial Crisis of 2008 has impacted on people's intentions to retire.

"There are many implications here for policymakers across the workplace, employment and health sectors," says Dr Feist. "We need to ensure that policies are in place so that workplaces remain safe, welcoming, flexible and productive for ageing workers."

The results of this survey were published online in the international journal BMC Public Health.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news70862.html

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

By request

Greg Barns, Crikey posted:

The astonishing rise of Tim Carmody, Newman's favourite judge

Tim Carmody is the luckiest man in the Australian legal world this morning. Although he was appointed Queensland’s District Court Judge and Chief Magistrate by the Newman government only last September, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman announced Carmody as the Chief Justice of the state’s Supreme Court yesterday. In leapfrogging sitting judges on Queensland’s District Court and Supreme Court, as well as senior members of the bar and Queensland members of the Federal Court, Carmody’ s rise is unprecedented in modern times in any jurisdiction in Australia.

Not only is it unprecedented -- the position of chief justice in each state and territory is generally filled by a senior advocate or a judge from the Supreme Court -- but it is a troubling appointment because it appears to reward Carmody for his controversial support of the Newman government’s draconian anti-bikie laws.

In November last year Carmody issued an edict that severely restricted the right of persons charged under the anti-bikie laws making applications for bail. Carmody’s edict meant that only two bail applications would be heard each day and in only one court in Brisbane. Bikies were being singled out for less favourable treatment when it came to access to bail. This announcement was criticised by prominent lawyers such as Bill Potts, a leading criminal lawyer in Queensland, who observed that the "public are going to perceive the courts themselves and the Chief Magistrate has become politicised".

Carmody’s edict followed up an email he sent to all magistrates that stated: “membership of a gang prone to resort to violence as a dispute resolution method can increase the risk of future dangerousness to the point of unacceptability and disqualify an applicant from bail even if there is no flight or other risk”. It was a view that apparently Attorney-General Jarrod Bliejie supported despite the fact that Carmody appeared to be telling his colleagues how to deal with cases involve members of bikie gangs.

Then in January this year Carmody told newly appointed magistrates not to "meddle in the administration of enacted laws by the executive and departments of state". He appeared to be running the line of the Newman government, which is that the courts ought to fall into line with government objectives.

Queensland’s former solicitor-general Walter Sofronoff says the consequence of Carmody’s statements and conduct “is that his impartiality as between citizen and government has been called into question. He is now seen by many reasonable people as political.”

The appointment of Carmody as Chief Justice yesterday does looks like a case of a politically sympathetic judicial officer being elevated by government. And Carmody appears to have undermined his claims of being fiercely independent by saying that one of his priorities was to ensure court decisions were more in line with reasonable community expectations. This is a phrase often used by conservatives to slate judges as being too soft on crime.

Carmody has hit back at his critics in The Courier Mail:

"'Because of the source of the criticism it couldn’t be ignored and I knew that it would be something that the community was concerned about and they would want to be able to reconcile the appointment with the criticism,' Justice Carmody said.

"'I certainly took it into account. I weighed it up and in the end I decided it was unfounded, it was wrong. I can do this job. I will do this job.

"'I shouldn’t not do this job just because somebody else says I shouldn’t.'"

The best take on Carmody’s appointment comes from the man who rid Queensland of its toxic political and legal culture, former royal commissioner Tony Fitzgerald: "People whose ambition exceeds their ability aren’t all that unusual. However, it’s deeply troubling that the megalomaniacs currently holding power in Queensland are prepared to damage even fundamental institutions like the Supreme Court and cast doubt on fundamental principles like the independence of the judiciary."

Fitzgerald is a man of courage. Unfortunately, those who represent many lawyers in Queensland the Law Society grovelled at the feet of Carmody and the Queensland government in endorsing what is clearly an appointment that to any reasonable observer casts doubt on the Newman government’s commitment to judicial independence.

We need a :queensland:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ewe2 posted:

By request

Just edit the background of :ancap: to the queensland version of the union jack.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Part time or full time? If full time, consider smartjobs.gov.au; some departments do offer casual/part time jobs as well, but rarely.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!

ewe2 posted:

By request

I would make it a queensland gif of that maroons fan who pissed in her seat at suncorp while watching the origin game, then out of her piss puddle would rise the head of a satanic Campbell Newman.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

spend time making friends who will help find you a job.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Appointed judges are still better than the alternative which is elected judges.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Lid posted:

Queensland, continuing from yesterdays Queensland

This is turning out to be an amazing story.

quote:

The Queensland Law Society, which represents the state’s solicitors, gave their support to Judge Carmody after his appointment.

But Judge Carmody told Fairfax Radio 4BC on Friday that others, including the Bar Association, had not.

“It’s regrettable that not one of the Supreme Court judges has congratulated me yet,” Mr Carmody said.

“I’m surprised and hurt– these are people I’ve known for 30 years, what do they think, I changed colours in the last ten minutes?”

Does he really think this line of rhetoric is going to run? This isn't (meant to be) a matter of making some sort of populist argument about a fair go, he's pissed off everyone by going against the foundations of the establishment he's supposed to be a part of. He's doesn't have the respect of his colleagues and he's not going to gain it by trying to make some argument that he's just the fortunate recipient of a lucky dip prize and that everyone should be congratulating him.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

piss explosion posted:

I would make it a queensland gif of that maroons fan who pissed in her seat at suncorp while watching the origin game, then out of her piss puddle would rise the head of a satanic Campbell Newman.

Don't you knock state of origin you rat bag. Beyond Jesus they're are few claims on your soul.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

We don't even take interstate drivers license.

When I moved to Melbourne my WA license was declined a couple of times at liquor stores and it always poo poo me off. If I can legally DRIVE on a WA license then why can't I use it to prove my age and identity? It's a violation of section 92! :colbert:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

spend time making friends who will help find you a job.

All my friends are job seekers too, youth unemployment will lead to a skyrocket in suicide rates, I swear.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Small business like takeaway shops are good asks but who knows if they'll look after you or not. Most pizza shops are always looking for drivers if you have a car that makes sense for it.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Nibbles141 posted:

Small business like takeaway shops are good asks but who knows if they'll look after you or not. Most pizza shops are always looking for drivers if you have a car that makes sense for it.

This was a good joke :clap:

Anidav posted:

All my friends are job seekers too, youth unemployment will lead to a skyrocket in suicide rates, I swear.

Get yourself more useful friends. You're at uni, it should be easy.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Anidav posted:

My employer has a small army of uni students doing casual data entry stuff. If you need something to tide you over for a few months while you look for real work I can put in a good word.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

If you're HORRIBLY desperate, you could apply on the Telstra careers website, the Brisbane centre is usually hiring staff regularly. I do warn you, however, that you will hate yourself working there.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Get yourself more useful friends. You're at uni, it should be easy.
I know it's unlikely and you know I have warm feelings towards you, but try to stop being a dickhead.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Anidav posted:

I agree, especially if we keep going the way we're going.

My advice would be to think about who you would want to work for (I'm talking dream org kind of poo poo), and just try to pump yourself up with as much confidence or false confidence as you can muster and cyberstalk every exec to find out what they seem to be about so you know what to say and either walk in there and ask for an appointment that day, or ring them on their work phone and ask for an interview. Worst that can happen is that they say no and keep your name on file as that kid with balls of steel. Best thing is you ask for a salaried shitkicker job and they give it to you and promote you. In this case it only works if it's a bigger org with a decent corporate culture and these are admittedly hard to find.

Other thing is, go to a temp agency. If they ask for a fee to sign you up, leave, because the good temp agencies get all their funding from the companies they find temps for. Temp work can turn into permanent work if they like you, and even if they can't find you permanent work there you'll still get a reference and paid work.

Finally, don't stop looking for work if you get a casual position. Continue looking for either a fixed term job like maternity leave relief or permanent part/full time because you don't want to randomly end up in the same position you're in now if you can help it.

I don't remember which industry you're going into, sorry, but there are industry-specific job sites where employers list vacancies that don't show up on the mainstream job sites. Some of these charge an annual membership fee (the media arts one in NSW was about $50/pa last time I checked). The way you get around this is you get all your mates in the same industry put in $5 each or whatever, and one of you signs up an account and you all use that login because all the application forms and criteria are linked as pdfs anyway. It's unethical for the site to paywall the job info because employers are paying to list those jobs anyway.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 13, 2014

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe you wouldn't be so unemployed if you had a job?
Or as Strangers With Candy teaches us: it's easier being a single mother when you're neither single, nor the mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fruity Gordo posted:

I know it's unlikely and you know I have warm feelings towards you, but try to stop being a dickhead.

It's actually pretty legit advice. Everyone at cafes and restaurants is getting work through their friends who are already working there. In a lot or cases the employer prefers a recommendation from a non dud employee over a random resume that comes in.

My first three jobs, all in different sectors, were through people already working there, not through random resume drops or seek job ads.

• Locked thread