Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gimmick Account posted:

Were they able to locate my problem with the save file I provided? Any ideas as to what happened there?

Not yet, I told them about it and logged it in their bug queue, gotta wait for the team lead to make someone fix it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My current king keeps wanting to shag various daughters in law and courtiers. Every time I let him, they die in childbirth :(

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Storytime: My girlfriend basically begged me to teach her to play how to go play this game, so she started a game as that one Ua Briain duke in Ireland with the intent of unifying Ireland and then seeing where she could go from there. She's actually doing a lot better than I ever did with my Ireland games: after managing to take over both Ireland and Bretagne (the former through fabricating claims, the latter through marrying the then Duchess of Bretagne) she asked the Pope for permission to invade England (whose King was also the King of Jerusalem) and managed to get England. Then suddenly she finds out that a kinsman from a branch of her dynasty she didn't even remember had a claim on the Kingdom of Scotland. She managed to press said claim and make the new Welsh king of Alba the heir to all her titles.

She recently created the Empire of Prydain and is currently wondering what she should do next.

I've been backseating her for quite a lot of the game, but mostly it's been all her. While I told her how Invasions work, the decision to wait for there to be a lovely king in England so she could invade was all hers, and while I taught her how inheriting claims worked she was the one who bred the claim on Scotland into her family and then pressed it. I feel so proud.

Oh, and the Golden Horde just showed up, so that might be fun.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ratpick posted:

Storytime: My girlfriend basically begged me to teach her to play how to go play this game, so she started a game as that one Ua Briain duke in Ireland with the intent of unifying Ireland and then seeing where she could go from there. She's actually doing a lot better than I ever did with my Ireland games: after managing to take over both Ireland and Bretagne (the former through fabricating claims, the latter through marrying the then Duchess of Bretagne) she asked the Pope for permission to invade England (whose King was also the King of Jerusalem) and managed to get England. Then suddenly she finds out that a kinsman from a branch of her dynasty she didn't even remember had a claim on the Kingdom of Scotland. She managed to press said claim and make the new Welsh king of Alba the heir to all her titles.

She recently created the Empire of Prydain and is currently wondering what she should do next.

I've been backseating her for quite a lot of the game, but mostly it's been all her. While I told her how Invasions work, the decision to wait for there to be a lovely king in England so she could invade was all hers, and while I taught her how inheriting claims worked she was the one who bred the claim on Scotland into her family and then pressed it. I feel so proud.

Oh, and the Golden Horde just showed up, so that might be fun.

Luckily she won't have to worry about them, safe on her island. I hope she is prepared to deal with invading Aztecs though.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Angrymog posted:

My current king keeps wanting to shag various daughters in law and courtiers. Every time I let him, they die in childbirth :(
My previous king continued to do that until he was 76 years old. Somehow all the 16 year olds that had just married his sons just couldnt leave their fingers off him.

Before that he had lived for 55 years being the most pious of zealous rulers. But eh, when you grow old, you start to see things differently.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I was playing the Game of Thrones mod as a leader with 30 martial skill, but I kept accepting offers from my liege to be their master at arms. When serving on a liege's council, does my nation still get the benefit of my stats? What benefit do I get from being on a council? It seemed like I was getting screwed over in wars either way, since it didn't look like I could lead my own armies while serving as someone else's military advisor.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angrymog posted:

Your poison penis is making heaven too loving crowded.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay, I know you guys get this every few pages and I apologise but I've been reading the tutorial LPs and this thread and I've gained a lot of abstract knowledge about the game that I'm gonna try and put into practice by actually...y'know. Playing it.

There's been a lot of advice in here about where to start but I'm looking for something a little different I guess. I like the idea of throwing myself in the deep end and starting from the bottom of the hierarchy. I've tried starting out as someone a little more powerful but I get kind of overwhelmed with the amount of people I now have to keep track of and keep an eye on as well as myself and my family, so it makes sense to me that the best thing to do would be to start from the bottom and work my way up. That way, I get to put all these mechanics and things I've learned into practice but I don't have to do it all at once, it'll all become relevant to me slowly and in little, easily manageable chunks and I'll have plenty of downtime to do other stuff without having to worry about all the people I have to be looking out for too.

Its probably a really bad idea but I'm gonna give it a shot. My question is, where's best to start? I'd prefer a Christian character since that's basically the "default" setting and I don't want to have to work with religious mechanics (for example decadence which makes no sense to me) while still learning and trying to claw my way up but beyond that I'm game for anyone at any time since I'm up to date with DLCs! Any suggestions, guys?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ireland is the newbie island for good reason. It's an isolated mess of small-time catholic counts and dukes punching each other in the face, too oblivious to your dreams of a kingdom to notice your threat in time.

If you want to start from a truly unimportant bumfuck region of the world, try the less important pagans. Uniting Finland could be a fine goal, even if you have to duck around proto-Sweden's god-kings and the big bad Rurik down south eyeing his de jure share of Käkisalmi.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Play someone in Ireland, it's all counts there. It's boring and you might quit early on but it's the best way to learn the mechanics in a safe closed off environment.

Once you get the jist feel free to try other places.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As someone who learned the game in Ireland I would actually recommend playing a French vassal Duke instead. You're right in the middle of Christendom (regardless of whether you go with the Old Gods start or not) and playing as a vassal ruler gives you way more opportunities to play the political side of the game.

Starting as a count of any kind sucks unless you're deliberately challenging yourself because you have no options besides "wait decades for money to trickle in and claims to fabricate."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Angrymog posted:

Modded? My Elder Kings game, courtiers have a 'seduce liege' option, so it seems every time I marry one of my sons off their wife then decides that while they're there, might as well...

It's sort of a dynastic tradition, apparently.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ireland is only newbie island in 1066. If you have Old Gods and can start in 867, then Ireland is Norse playground.

In 867, you can start as some french or german count, and work to the top from there.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As someone who learned the game in Ireland I would actually recommend playing a French vassal Duke instead. You're right in the middle of Christendom (regardless of whether you go with the Old Gods start or not) and playing as a vassal ruler gives you way more opportunities to play the political side of the game.

Starting as a count of any kind sucks unless you're deliberately challenging yourself because you have no options besides "wait decades for money to trickle in and claims to fabricate."

This is actually a very good idea, I hadn't considered France! I think I'll give that a shot, thank you!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Play as Aquitaine in 1066, you've got enough power to expand in multiple ways and you're also a vassal so you can intrigue poo poo up.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

This is actually a very good idea, I hadn't considered France! I think I'll give that a shot, thank you!

If you play as Robert the Old, there's a non-zero chance that you'll luck into the throne of France.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

:stare:

This game's gone off the rails fast.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't someone post a game where the AI got William to be Holy Roman Emperor?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Some things that happen in every single game I play (starting in 865):

- HRE is never formed
- Muslims get all (or almost all) Iberian peninsula
- Italy owns most of Europe
- England disappears (either broken in lots of dukes and counties or absorved into Italy or Scotland)

Im starting to think this is all somehow my fault.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sky Shadowing posted:

Modded? My Elder Kings game, courtiers have a 'seduce liege' option, so it seems every time I marry one of my sons off their wife then decides that while they're there, might as well...

It's sort of a dynastic tradition, apparently.

Nope, vanilla.

Actually, I'm curious about something - given that you can have homosexual characters, do they ever get propositioned? I guess so, but I haven't yet had one as ruler yet.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Muslims get all (or almost all) Iberian peninsula

This happened in my game as well, starting at 867.
It might have to do with how I was playing as the Umayyad. :getin:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Angrymog posted:

Nope, vanilla.

Actually, I'm curious about something - given that you can have homosexual characters, do they ever get propositioned? I guess so, but I haven't yet had one as ruler yet.

Yeah they added the ability to have same sex lovers. Hilariously you can still have babies with them...somehow. At least as a female ruler I've had children with my female lovers. Sadly I cannot acknowledge them because that'd be even funnier. (Please let female rulers acknowledge bastards that come from male lovers at least. It's so pointless to have them when you can have their children but never can acknowledge them.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wish the AI would not do amazingly stupid things like inherit a kingdom with a different culture, revoke 10 titles in the span of a year, and then accept your remaining pissed off vassals's demand for a new king. None of that would have happened if my 27 diplomacy son hadn't died at age 27 of severe stress, leaving my idiot grandson to gently caress up his inheritance badly.

Ofaloaf posted:

:stare:

This game's gone off the rails fast.

5 years, that's pretty impressive. Is that William owning both, after the second 1066 start, or the first one?

It took nearly 200 years in my game for England to inherit all of France and most of Germany, and they managed to lose all of those continental holding in a few decades. That was still enough time to turn most of Germany into English culture, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eimi posted:

(Please let female rulers acknowledge bastards that come from male lovers at least. It's so pointless to have them when you can have their children but never can acknowledge them.)

I've been thinking a fair bit lately about what to do with bastards when the mother is the ruler, actually. I wrote up some event code to alter how the game handles bastard births so that female rulers higher-ranked than their lovers (under certain circumstances) automatically get the bastards assigned to their dynasty and the bastard traits replaced by "child of concubine" (which is functionally identical to "legitimized bastard" but slightly more accurate for the circumstance.)

I doubt it would be much harder to write an event to actually give them a choice, but at the time I couldn't really think of a plausible way to describe a mother disowning the child she'd just given birth to. (also adding new events is marginally more annoying than hooking new logic into existing ones).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I doubt it would be much harder to write an event to actually give them a choice, but at the time I couldn't really think of a plausible way to describe a mother disowning the child she'd just given birth to.

You could do a whole event chain of staying out of public sight while visibly pregnant, hushing up the servants, and smuggling the child to another court afterwards (with opinion penalties and the outcome being taken out of your hands if you fail) but that would be kind of awkward if you re-used it every time.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You could do a whole event chain of staying out of public sight while visibly pregnant, hushing up the servants, and smuggling the child to another court afterwards (with opinion penalties and the outcome being taken out of your hands if you fail) but that would be kind of awkward if you re-used it every time.

It could give you a trait that prevents you from doing pretty much anything as long as you're pregnant, and nevertheless have a non-negligible chance of being found out. Not sure if the first one is possible to mod in, but if the restriction is severe enough it could be balanced.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, that's probably more work than is justified from either the coder or the player perspective. Maybe a one-shot event with two choices, acknowledge the kid yourself or "let their dad have them" (fire the standard father choice event).

Basically I think I was looking at this more from a "the game is hardcoded not to let female rulers have concubines, so how can I reproduce that functionality?" (also I was playing a cognatic Zoroastrian Persia at the time and that restriction makes a big difference when it comes to keeping your gene pool reasonably varied.)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

eXXon posted:

5 years, that's pretty impressive. Is that William owning both, after the second 1066 start, or the first one?
It was with the William the Conqueror start, so he already had England. Dunno how he got a claim on France, but he actually gained the throne when the Duke of Aquitaine led the 'French Revolt for King William's claim on France' and won.

No idea if it'll last, because that was my latest attempt at getting HIP to work and it crashed again when I tried to save the game.

quote:

It took nearly 200 years in my game for England to inherit all of France and most of Germany, and they managed to lose all of those continental holding in a few decades. That was still enough time to turn most of Germany into English culture, though.
I had a CK2+ game go terribly awry once when the HRE went into debt, the Humble Hedge Knights revolted, won, and so suddenly a bunch of English mercenaries controlled all of de jure Germany. The HRE eventually reconquered it all, but not before Thuringia became English.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

It was with the William the Conqueror start, so he already had England. Dunno how he got a claim on France, but he actually gained the throne when the Duke of Aquitaine led the 'French Revolt for King William's claim on France' and won.

William and Robert the Old both start the game with claims on France, and France starts with a regency. Add to that that the HRE's opening move is usually to beat the poo poo out of France over Ghent, and ou have yourself a situation ripe for a coup. Lil Phil used to get deposed with some regularity, but I haven't actually seen that happen in a while.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ofaloaf posted:

Do you need a specific claim on a kingdom to start a faction to become king? That's probably what happened (oh never mind, like DStecks said he starts with a claim). Like I said, I've seen kings piss off their vassals so much that they sometimes accept their demand for a new king rather than risk a revolt. I don't really see the point of that because the consequences are exactly the same if you lose the revolt, so you may as well try to win.

On the other hand, crushing a revolt yourself is great. You get a bunch of dukes imprisoned, and you can either ransom them for a decent chunk of change (in the early game), or even better release them all for +15 relations with your vassals each, after which they will never revolt again.

Ofaloaf posted:

I had a CK2+ game go terribly awry once when the HRE went into debt, the Humble Hedge Knights revolted, won, and so suddenly a bunch of English mercenaries controlled all of de jure Germany. The HRE eventually reconquered it all, but not before Thuringia became English.

In this unmodded game I'm playing, the HRE is down to a single county of Treviso or something. That's what those heretic Lollards get. It's kind of funny because I only loaded a save once in the middle of the game, when I was supporting Norway's (successful) holy war to claim Brunswick from Lollard HRE. The Norwegian king converted to Lollardy and ended the war for no discernible reason, so I loaded an autosave and he ended up winning the war the second time. Had I continued the previous game and converted myself, Europe might have ended up entirely Lollard.

It's too bad most heresies are pretty boring otherwise, because Lollardy does seem to have the advantage of not having to curry favour with your bishops to get them to pay their taxes to you.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

DStecks posted:

William and Robert the Old both start the game with claims on France, and France starts with a regency. Add to that that the HRE's opening move is usually to beat the poo poo out of France over Ghent, and ou have yourself a situation ripe for a coup. Lil Phil used to get deposed with some regularity, but I haven't actually seen that happen in a while.

Robert the Old does but William doesn't. However if France switches to Elective (which is highly likely if the HRE beats up their levies over a Flemish county) and William retains the Duchy of Normandy, he's eligible for a faction.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Allyn posted:

Robert the Old does but William doesn't. However if France switches to Elective (which is highly likely if the HRE beats up their levies over a Flemish county) and William retains the Duchy of Normandy, he's eligible for a faction.

Ah, my mistake. I really don't get that electors can start factions for their own claim, to me that seems backwards. Elective seems like it should really prevent claim wars entirely, but maybe make factions more of an issue? A civil war to force an election could make sense, but the system is already in place for electors to become king, adding ex-officio claims feels like double-dipping to me.

This is definitely one of the places where a negotiation system could really make diplomacy and intrigue more robust; especially if you could trade with somebody for their electoral vote, a la Medieval 2 Total War's cardinal system.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I've seen William become king of France quite often, especially if he fails to conquer England.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've been having trouble getting anywhere as a Jewish ruler in 867, any tips?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It doesn't help that there isn't a whole lot of logic to who electors vote for. If they like you, they'll support your candidate. If they hate you, they will not support your candidate. They'll even vote against themselves out of spite.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

eXXon posted:

It doesn't help that there isn't a whole lot of logic to who electors vote for. If they like you, they'll support your candidate. If they hate you, they will not support your candidate. They'll even vote against themselves out of spite.

I think the main thing they go for is Diplomacy score. As long as you pick the candidate from your dynasty with the highest diplo score, they'll go with it. Opinion of you doesn't seem to make a difference in many cases; I've had more than a few vassals not voting my way despite having a 100 opinion of me.

I've also heard people talking about the electors getting uppity if the same dynasty holds the elected title for too long, but in my experience no such system exists.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

I've been having trouble getting anywhere as a Jewish ruler in 867, any tips?

Play as Tulunid Egypt, beat up all of Eastern Africa with your Mamluks, put your capital in one of the two Jewish provinces, convert, convert all your vassals, holy war the weaker Abbasids for Jerusalem, become the most powerful state in the world by 900.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How can I get a claim on the sunni caliphate?

Im King of Nubia and Abyssinia, sunni, and my ruler has the "Mirza" trait.

The arabian empire as dissolved a few decades ago, and the current sunni caliph is only an emir right now. I could easily conquer his last lands using the conquest CB, but I dont think that's going to give me the caliph title.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can I get a claim on the sunni caliphate?

Im King of Nubia and Abyssinia, sunni, and my ruler has the "Mirza" trait.

The arabian empire as dissolved a few decades ago, and the current sunni caliph is only an emir right now. I could easily conquer his last lands using the conquest CB, but I dont think that's going to give me the caliph title.

You need to unland him then get 1000 piety to recreate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The Crusader Kings 2 wiki tells me that I will receive 50% of the levies of a holding if it's a de jure part of my kingdom, but only 35% if it's just part of my empire. So if I destroy the underlying kingdom title of my empire, my troop levels will decrease? That would be a little annoying.

• Locked thread