Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm now a certified rescue diver! I also have some pictures to go through and post later this week, but not as many to choose from as usual, since I spent several days doing zero recreational dives and my wife didn't take the camera on all her dives (including one with a seahorse and a bunch of squid, while I was busy getting attacked by several panicked divers :( ). But, I have some decent pictures anyways and will post some later.

It was a good course! I had fun and considered it the most challenging of anything so far. My instructor was awesome, but also unforgiving of anything less than perfection and made it clear to the DM and new instructors assisting in various exercises that anything from prior skills tests was in play. There are some pictures my wife took of the second scenario, but not sure if any show interesting parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Aquila posted:

Counterpoint: I love my zoop, it's big and easy to use and just always works so easy.

The vyper is the same computer pretty much. If you are going to get the USB cable anyway then it's almost the same price.
Zoop is fine in daylight, but if you want to do night/wreck/cavern then the luminescent display is worth it.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I don't do many night dives (I think I've done maybe 30 total), so maybe that's why I don't care, but I never found it to be an issue with my Zoop. I just put my torch up against the Zoop for a second and the glow-in-the-dark keeps it illuminated for a long while. As for the USB, I was on an island where everyone logged in paper logbooks so I never even thought about logging electronically (how are you supposed to get the stamps on an electronic log???? THE STAMPS!!!).

Anyway, I thought the Vyper was discontinued?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I use a Mares Puck Pro as a backup to my Oceanic OCS and haven't had issues with NDLs, but screw single button navigation.

In other news, I just completed fundies a few weeks ago in Bali.

I flew in a few days early to do a twin tank workshop and 4 days of leisure dives with twins, although I had only planned on doing the fundies with a single tank and going for a rec pass.

There were some other GUE divers doing leisure dives in the group and I basically got peer-pressured into trying out the fundies in twins with a borrowed can light just for the hell of it.

I ended up being the only one out of our group of four to get a tech pass. All I can say is fundies is awesome and the first day is just like being a OW student all over again.

I went into the course using my Hollis F1 fins, but on the second day the instructor suggested I try out a set of Scubapro jet fins and holy poo poo, immediate improvement. Now I'm going to get a pair of the Scubapros, they seem to give me more fine control.

food-rf
May 18, 2014
Thanks for this great thread and all these wonderful underwater pictures.

Many years ago I swam a lot and did some SCUBA (under the CMAS system), but that stopped completely and now I haven't been in the water (not even a pool) for nearly a decade. This thread has seriously motivated me to get back into it.

This brings me to a question: I live nowhere near the sea right now. What would be a good way to rediscover and enjoy scubaing in such a situation, if any? I know there are some lakes as well as artificial diving spots (flooded mineshafts etc.) in the region, but I don't know if that's a good way for a beginner to get back into it. Does getting hyped about it again make sense under such circumstances?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Both of my instructors (I'm open water as of ~ 2 weeks ago) came from land-locked states and were describing how open water courses there have to use lakes for the open water dives, so I'd assume that at least some of them are newbie-friendly. Finding your local dive shop and asking about nearby dives would be the thing to do.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

food-rf posted:

Many years ago I swam a lot and did some SCUBA (under the CMAS system), but that stopped completely and now I haven't been in the water (not even a pool) for nearly a decade. This thread has seriously motivated me to get back into it.

This brings me to a question: I live nowhere near the sea right now. What would be a good way to rediscover and enjoy scubaing in such a situation, if any? I know there are some lakes as well as artificial diving spots (flooded mineshafts etc.) in the region, but I don't know if that's a good way for a beginner to get back into it. Does getting hyped about it again make sense under such circumstances?

A scuba review sounds to be in order. If you're going to do it locally, go to a local dive club and talk to them about it. If you want to do it on vacation, go to a dive shop where you'll be diving which has small groups. A comprehensive scuba review should be possible in less than a day.

As a side note, I've scuba reviewed people who hadn't dived in as short as 1 year and as long as 7 years, and, strangely enough, it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference how long they've been away from the water. A decade is longer than 7 years obviously, but still.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

TLG James posted:

Anyone been through ed Robinsons scuba in Maui? I'll be pretty close to them this winter.

Do it, ask for Tiffany. Tell Tiffany Greg said hi

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

food-rf posted:

Living nowhere near the sea doesn't matter. I live in the Alps between Italy and Switzerland and the landscape out of my window is green pastures with black and white cows, snowy mountains and people with funny costumes and bird feathers on their caps. At the end you need to take a week or two of vacation to go to the best diving locations, anyway, unless you live next to them.

I still very much dislike diving in lakes, but they're good to practice.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with diving at Stuart Cove in the Bahamas? Looking for a place where my girlfriend and I can do our AOW certifications and also do some shark diving. This seems to be a pretty popular spot, but wanted to get some other opinions as to better or less expensive places.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Two more weeks till my vacation down in Playa Del Carmen area, hopefully the whale sharks decide to grace us with their presence. Also good news, wetsuit still fits a year later and I can zip it up, bad news is I am having issues unzipping it on my own.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Jealous! Make sure you do the cavern/cenote diving there.. Seriously incredible stuff.
I dived with Blue Life, super professional guys with fantastic service - highly recommended.
http://bluelife.com/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good place to rent an underwater digital camcorder on Maui? I'm in the Kihei area. Maui Dive Shop advertises something for $125/day, which seems kind of insane

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm under serious consideration about going to Indonesia's Lombok or Komodo Islands for some diving in August. Anyone have any advice for either of those (or Indonesia in general)?

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Question from someone looking to get an open water certification for the first time: does the price range for classes described in the OP include equipment?
I went to my local dive shop today and they said it could range anywhere from 500-800: ~450 for e-learning and classes, 60$ for a dive computer and a logbook, and then the rest of the estimate was based on more required equipment needed before the first class(a snorkel, fins, neoprene gloves/booties etc). Is it possible to rent some of it, or am I better off buying everything now?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

porkypocky posted:

Question from someone looking to get an open water certification for the first time: does the price range for classes described in the OP include equipment?
I went to my local dive shop today and they said it could range anywhere from 500-800: ~450 for e-learning and classes, 60$ for a dive computer and a logbook, and then the rest of the estimate was based on more required equipment needed before the first class(a snorkel, fins, neoprene gloves/booties etc). Is it possible to rent some of it, or am I better off buying everything now?

Sweet Jesus do NOT buy any gear before your course. You might not even like diving, and then you're stuck with all that equipment which you'll never use. What the hell man!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Even as a leisure diver, the most you'll ever need is a good pair of fins and a mask. It's only when you have a lapse in judgment that you start actually buying gear.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Ohthankgod I thought it sounded weird that I had to buy so many things. So for an introductory course I shouldn't be required to buy any gear then?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

porkypocky posted:

Ohthankgod I thought it sounded weird that I had to buy so many things. So for an introductory course I shouldn't be required to buy any gear then?

My open water course (one month ago) only required bringing snorkeling gear: mask, fins, and snorkel. Technically you can just rent these, if you don't snorkel often, but buying a cheap set of snorkel gear shouldn't set you back too much

I know plenty of divers who don't own any gear beyond snorkel gear. Most swear by a good dive computer, but it's optional and you shouldn't buy one before you've even tried diving.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

porkypocky posted:

Actually, reading your post more carefully, that sounds about right. You're usually paying for courses, a dive planner, a log book, and then you need snorkel gear. You don't need a dive computer. The lessons should provide all of the equipment that is specific to scuba, like regulators and a BCD. All together you shouldn't have to pay more than $500 or $600 for open water certification, including the snorkel gear and courses

The thing about snorkel gear is that you can probably save money by just buying a cheap used set rather than renting for each dive. And definitely get some fin socks if you don't want blisters, although I do know a guy who just uses normal white socks and does fine

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
It really depends on where do you plan to dive. In hot waters you barely need a short sleeve wet suit and no neoprene shoes, in cold waters you will need a semi dry suit, hood and gloves, at the very least.
Don't hurry your purchases. You will find out that diving is a black hole of disposable income. And especially at the beginning be essential: less is more. Don't buy, and more importantly don't bring under water a ton of useless junk you don't know how to use.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
When it comes to masks, Try Before You Buy is a must. Not everyone's face is the same, and you want a good seal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Even in warm water it's still really good to have something to cover your heels, even if you're just using normal cotton socks. Flipper blisters are the worst

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Even in warm water it's still really good to have something to cover your heels, even if you're just using normal cotton socks. Flipper blisters are the worst

Some people don't get heel blisters at all - me, for example. I actually bought myself the same closed heel fins as our normal shop fins because they fit me pretty well (and are cheap).

Definitely doesn't hurt to at least bring a pair of normal socks, though.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I got neoprene booties for my fins. waayyy more comfortable.

They also get use in day to day life when I go to the beach for fun. Or for sailing and other water sports.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
If you get booties, I recommend harder soles. Mine are soft and I regret it at times.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Is a gopro good for diving? What model? I've been scubaing/snorkeling for a while using a normal (good) camera with a large housing, however I really like the idea behind the gopro (compact, high def video, etc.). Thoughts?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Is a gopro good for diving? What model? I've been scubaing/snorkeling for a while using a normal (good) camera with a large housing, however I really like the idea behind the gopro (compact, high def video, etc.). Thoughts?
My intova died the day before I went to the great barrier reef, so I bought a gopro on the way through duty free.
The major difference for photography is exactly what you'd expect - the wide angle shots with the gopro are great for capturing the whole scene, but it was very difficult to do macro stuff with it.

For video, the gopro is pretty cool. I just held it out in front of me and it was stable enough. As well as shorter clips, I filmed an entire dive in 1080p and it handled that just fine. If you want example video just give me somewhere I can send you youtube links.

I guess my verdict is, it's good for wide angle stuff, nice for holiday snaps/video, but I did miss the ability to do better macro.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Trivia posted:

I'm under serious consideration about going to Indonesia's Lombok or Komodo Islands for some diving in August. Anyone have any advice for either of those (or Indonesia in general)?

I actually went diving from Gili Trawangan 2 or 3 weeks ago, had a great time. The vis is pretty good and there are a poo poo load of turtles around the Gili dive sites. The reefs aren't in amazing shape but some of them are fairly health and they are apparently getting better as they've made a real effort to stop dynamite fishing/boats anchoring on the reefs/etc. Lombok itself is cheaper and the sites around there are really good for macro stuff (although it's also like 15 minutes from most of the Gili sites so there isn't really a hard choice between them). Can't give recommendations on where to stay or anything since there are different dive shops between them but the diving itself is pretty nice.

Also have a pic from Seahorse Bay just by Lombok:

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I dive with a GoPro Hero 3 and I can get a little over an 1.5 hour with the standard battery at 720p. I keep it on a 5 foot pole and since it is so small I can get it in some tight spaces as well as up and close with critters without risking a finger.

Only downside is the short battery life when running 1080p but if you buy an extra battery and swap during your surface interval it shouldn't be a problem.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Seconding the Hero3. I dove with one in Key Largo and the battery lasted for both shallow dives during the days (each dive was ~45-60 minutes) and had some juice left over so it could have gone back for at least another dive, provided it was fully-charged. Go for the magenta-looking filter though if you can, it helps with the color washout of reds (and others) when you start getting 30 ft or deeper. It just snaps on to the waterproof casing, no big deal to put on.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
In the GoPro, find a way that works for you to attach it to your body. Holding anything in your hands sounds good until that method fails.

I have found a bunch of GoPros (5 to be exact).

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

If you want gopro video to look anything other than totally crappy you should invest in or build some kind of weighted double handle rig to attach the gopro to. With good viz and a handle rig gopro video can look almost pro. A pistol grip, headmount, pole etc just results in wobbly amateur looking video.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 16, 2014

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

Trivia posted:

I dived the Gilis last year and enjoyed it a lot. I went with Manta Dive. Good instructors and reasonable rental equipment, quite cheap dives and accommodation, I preferred my stay on Gili Air to Gili T., more of a dive atmosphere, less of a party atmosphere, less donkey urine on the street. Same dive sites, mind. I never got around to a Komodo expedition.

StopShootingMe fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 17, 2014

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Thanks for the heads up. I may be going with two other people, both of whom are not certified divers. One is interested in getting his license, the other will have to find something to do that's not dive-centric. I may take my Rescue + EFR.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I... I might actually get to go diving again in the next couple of weeks. It's been so long that I'm going to have to do 2 or 3 dives where I just focus on skills, not to mention everything is due for service, but god drat I need to get in the water.

suboptimal posted:

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with diving at Stuart Cove in the Bahamas? Looking for a place where my girlfriend and I can do our AOW certifications and also do some shark diving. This seems to be a pretty popular spot, but wanted to get some other opinions as to better or less expensive places.
It's mainly known for the shark diving. I can't speak to how good the dives are beyond that. In my opinion, the best diving in the Bahamas is off of Andros, which has a huge barrier reef, great wall dives, and blue holes for the people who can dive them. The downside is despite it being the largest island in the Bahamas, it's basically deserted so diving would be the only thing to do. I really like the Exumas as well but they are pretty hard to get to because it's a chain of mostly tiny islands. If you're doing AOW and are still shopping around there are plenty of places in Key Largo that can certify you, and a good range of sites. It would likely be cheaper as well. Even though they are only ~60 miles from each other there is a big difference in water clarity between the Bahamas and the Keys though.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Trivia posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I may be going with two other people, both of whom are not certified divers. One is interested in getting his license, the other will have to find something to do that's not dive-centric. I may take my Rescue + EFR.

Yeah you might want to look at somewhere like Bali/Gili (spend a few days in each!) for everyone to have something. For good Komodo variety you'll want to consider a liveaboard like the Black Manta or something.

I'm biased because i recently did a great Bali trip and enjoyed the mix of diving in the day and chilling/partying in the night.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I'm not big on loud clubs or bars, I prefer laid back pubs or quieter beach bars. Bali may be too much from the sound of it.

I've been to party places like Thailand's Phi Phi or Phuket, and did not enjoy them much.

I did however like Koh Samui's quieter beaches. Yes, I am an old man and a riot at parties.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Trivia posted:

I'm not big on loud clubs or bars, I prefer laid back pubs or quieter beach bars. Bali may be too much from the sound of it.

I've been to party places like Thailand's Phi Phi or Phuket, and did not enjoy them much.

I did however like Koh Samui's quieter beaches. Yes, I am an old man and a riot at parties.

Bali is great if you go to the right bits - we spent 10 days in Nusa Lembongan last year (a small island just off Bali) and it was amazing! Perfect relaxed atmosphere! Avoid Kuta and to a lesser extent Sanur like the plague though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.
Anyone live down in South Florida and dive often? I am looking for someone to dive with outside of just buddying up with my brother all the time. (He's great to dive with but he can't afford to go as often as I like to)