Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Mystique's shapeshifting is purely cosmetic, but I suppose Trask Industries could have developed it further, especially if they later got their hands on Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, they are.

Mystique can make 'claws' but they're no stronger than her own body. They may look like adamantium but they aren't actually adamantium. Which gets lampshaded immediately afterwards as Wolverine chops them off.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You see, that Magneto in the X-Men arcade game mysteriously not using any of his powers isn't really Magneto. Alas, that was Mystique.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I mean in games magneto shoots purple beams of magnetism so it's just all flashy magic theater.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

WarLocke posted:

Mystique can make 'claws' but they're no stronger than her own body. They may look like adamantium but they aren't actually adamantium. Which gets lampshaded immediately afterwards as Wolverine chops them off.

So when Wolverine cuts those off and then she turns back into Mystique, shouldn't she be missing a body part or something?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just in desperate need of some press-on nails until hers grow back. And a manicure.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

WarLocke posted:

She can make his bone claws though, probably improve on them actually.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I just remembered one of my favourite bits from this film. Where Beast asks Wolverine if he makes it in the future, and the answer is just "no".

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Jay Dub posted:

So when Wolverine cuts those off and then she turns back into Mystique, shouldn't she be missing a body part or something?

I imagine they were actually really long cuticles or something (you know, like fingernails are made of). In the comics at least Mystique has been shown to be able to just ignore flesh wounds and the like.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I just imagine she's like a ball of clay, a bit of her got cut off but it was non-specific and she can pull mass from anywhere on her body to replace it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

And then eat a bunch of hamburgers to gain it back.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, they are.

They aren't in at least one continuity. When they put power suppressors on him in House of M or Civil War or something, his claws still work, and he cites that a lot of people mistake his claws for powers.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He has natural bone claws stored in his forearms that are part of his mutation. The thing is though that his bones aren't just coated in adamantium, they're "molecularly bonded," which means they are for all intents and purposes artificial. So when he loses his powers Logan still has the metal claws, even if logically his natural claws would disappear.

Also the last time he lost his powers his adamantium slowly poisoned his body, he had trouble moving from the weight and he couldn't stop the bleeding from his knuckles when he popped his claws.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

I just imagine she's like a ball of clay, a bit of her got cut off but it was non-specific and she can pull mass from anywhere on her body to replace it.

Yeah, it really depends on how much you want to sperg about a power like that, but hypothetically speaking there's no particular reason why, say, her internal organs have to be in the same place as everyone else - Mystique is obviously not just a ball of goo like Odo from Deep Space 9 but she could probably rearrange things a little bit internally to make it harder for her to be outright killed. I like to use the scene after that Wolverine fight as evidence for this, where he's clearly stabbed her through the heart but she transforms into a security guard and manages to escape anyway.

Harime Nui posted:

He has natural bone claws stored in his forearms that are part of his mutation. The thing is though that his bones aren't just coated in adamantium, they're "molecularly bonded," which means they are for all intents and purposes artificial. So when he loses his powers Logan still has the metal claws, even if logically his natural claws would disappear.

Also the last time he lost his powers his adamantium slowly poisoned his body, he had trouble moving from the weight and he couldn't stop the bleeding from his knuckles when he popped his claws.

Again, this depends on what 'loses his powers' means, in context. His 'natural' bone claws would be additions/modifications to the normal human skeletal system, presumably with additional tendons and junk to actually move them in and out. I could see a comic-book case for having his healing ability 'shut off' without actually going in and altering large parts of his forearm scaffolding. Hell a mutation like that would probably have given Logan Popeye arms to begin with, to fit all that extra crap in there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, it really depends on how much you want to sperg about a power like that, but hypothetically speaking there's no particular reason why, say, her internal organs have to be in the same place as everyone else - Mystique is obviously not just a ball of goo like Odo from Deep Space 9 but she could probably rearrange things a little bit internally to make it harder for her to be outright killed.

That's the dumbest explanation for Mystique's powers that I've ever heard. She clearly just shapeshifted the damaged heart into a healthy heart.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

That's the dumbest explanation for Mystique's powers that I've ever heard. She clearly just shapeshifted the damaged heart into a healthy heart.

She shapeshifts, she doesn't heal fast. After Magneto shoots her in the leg in DofP why doesn't she just shapeshift her leg into a healed one? :spergin:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

This is how she managed to forgive Charles.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

WarLocke posted:

She shapeshifts, she doesn't heal fast. After Magneto shoots her in the leg in DofP why doesn't she just shapeshift her leg into a healed one? :spergin:

She won't learn that trick until the late 90s :v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

When she was impersonating Trask was she really shuffling about on her knees?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Maybe all the spare parts just stick out somewhere but invisibly? Actually, that's a point, can she just turn invisible?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

You guys are thinking way too hard about mystique's powers.

In one of the xmen cartoons she can split into multiple separate things like birds and reform, so...

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

When she was impersonating Trask was she really shuffling about on her knees?

She just got really dense on the inside, less hollow body cavity or something. I assume.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Electromax posted:

She just got really dense on the inside, less hollow body cavity or something. I assume.

That's also how she impersonates big guys that are much larger than her, she goes hollow like a chocolate easter bunny! (I assume)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There are like three mutants in this film alone with the power to bend space and time. Mystique being able to make her body bigger or smaller is pretty prosaic compared to that.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
If Raven can perfectly replicate a mutants dna, then logically (what?) she should be able to use their powers. If she becomes perfect clones of the person that is. Or maybe it's just cosmetic, and her dna and poo poo stays the same.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Even if she could, it is a long-running theme that most mutants need a lot of training to effectively use their own powers. They teach more than just math at the School for Gifted Youngsters -- like how to not explode yourself and everyone around you every time you sneeze.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Supreme Allah posted:

Even if she could, it is a long-running theme that most mutants need a lot of training to effectively use their own powers. They teach more than just math at the School for Gifted Youngsters -- like how to not explode yourself and everyone around you every time you sneeze.

Yeah. Just because you are born with legs and arms doesn't mean you can instantly rock out on a pummel horse.

Good point, I'm still confused about Mystique's powers. I always just thought they were cosmetic. Nothing more.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So do the comics say how most of the characters die in the future? Say, how does Beast die?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vegetable posted:

So do the comics say how most of the characters die in the future? Say, how does Beast die?

Beast is dragged from his home and murdered by a mob in 2015. According to this movie promo site.
http://www.25moments.com/#!/moments/2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Good point, I'm still confused about Mystique's powers. I always just thought they were cosmetic. Nothing more.
They are just cosmetic. Rather, they are physical. She can synthesize her body into things like cloth and sharp claws and metal zippers and glasses; one time she was able to create a glass vial out of thin air to carry something in. She can become bigger or smaller than her normal size, within reason. And yes, she is inherently more difficult to kill thanks to the mutable nature of her body and organs, and does in fact have a slightly accelerated healing factor (not like Wolverine, more like Spider-Man). Some interpretations of her powers have her being able to -- with a lot of effort -- turn into animals.

But she cannot turn into Sunspot and set herself on fire. She can't turn into Kitty and phase through things. She can't turn into Xavier to read minds. She can't even turn into Toad and spit mucus because her own body doesn't can't produce that specific substance. If she had that level of control over her own biological nature she'd be...well, she'd be Apocalypse. And she's not; the way that this movie utilizes her powers to construct the new Sentinels requires a lot of hand-wringing -- if not outright saying "gently caress, just go with it" -- to work, is not the sort of thing she'd ever be used for in the comics.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Mystique can copy peoples' bodies - but Magneto's powers, for example, are psychological. In First Class he's all tossing knives and bullets, and literally erects a submarine. It's all penetration, exacerbated by his desire for brutal revenge. Mystique can copy his appearance, but she doesn't have the same psychology.

They underline this with the Romijn-Stamos cameo in First Class: Mystique can alter her body to be older, but she is still (psychologically) young.

That's the whole point of her character: Prof. X pushes her to 'pass' as a woman, while Magneto encourages her to get all in-your-face and genderfuck. In X-men United, she finally ends up stuck in normal body (whether she wanted it or not) and that's why Magneto rejects her.

In this film, the Future-Sentinels are pure, shifting appearance with nothing 'underneath' but the logic of Capital: Skynet. It's very literally the appropriation of Magneto's radical politics by the capitalist system. The Future-Sentinels can also control magnetism and shoot fire beams and whatever because they exaggerate the mutants' psychologies as well - to the point of madness. One adopting Magneto's power would unleash pure, uninhibited vengeance.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Surprisingly this thread went thirty-three pages before SMG started making GBS threads his gimmick all over it. :allears:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mystique can copy peoples' bodies - but Magneto's powers, for example, are psychological. In First Class he's all tossing knives and bullets, and literally erects a submarine. It's all penetration, exacerbated by his desire for brutal revenge. Mystique can copy his appearance, but she doesn't have the same psychology.

They underline this with the Romijn-Stamos cameo in First Class: Mystique can alter her body to be older, but she is still (psychologically) young.

That's the whole point of her character: Prof. X pushes her to 'pass' as a woman, while Magneto encourages her to get all in-your-face and genderfuck. In X-men United, she finally ends up stuck in normal body (whether she wanted it or not) and that's why Magneto rejects her.

In this film, the Future-Sentinels are pure, shifting appearance with nothing 'underneath' but the logic of Capital: Skynet. It's very literally the appropriation of Magneto's radical politics by the capitalist system. The Future-Sentinels can also control magnetism and shoot fire beams and whatever because they exaggerate the mutants' psychologies as well - to the point of madness. One adopting Magneto's power would unleash pure, uninhibited vengeance.

Lmao.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Mutation is, in my opinion, a metaphor for minority identity.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mutation is, in my opinion, a metaphor for minority identity.

Whoa there, buddy. You are clearly reading way too much into this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
When Mystique refers to her human name as a 'slave name', it is a reference to slavery.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 15, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh hey, literally the *only* person I have on ignore on this entire website. Your Jerk Detected sure is fun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DeathChicken posted:

Oh hey, literally the *only* person I have on ignore on this entire website. Your Jerk Detected sure is fun.
You might want to take him off ignore. He had a breakthrough on the level of discourse that posters here are comfortable with in the Edge of Tomorrow thread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Mystique isn't actually Mystique, she's Kunta Kinte morphed into Levar Burton morphed into Mystique, a transition representing the black slave's ascent from complete oppression into an enlightened era where they possess the same rights as a mutant woman.

Speaking of, what's the difference - if any - between Mystique's power and that of someone like Morph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm so impressed by you putting SMG on ignore, please keep bragging about it.

• Locked thread