Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Crawfish posted:

It really is too bad the kill it off at the end of the year. I'm silently hoping they change their mind and keep it going through the rest of the consoles life but they've shelved less expensive ventures than this in the past.

What are you talking about?
EDIT: Ohhhhhh

Yeah that needs to stay around forever. Everyone likes loyalty points.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ireladd posted:

What are you talking about?

The Deluxe Digital Promotion ends at the end of this year.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Presumably the Digital Deluxe promotion, which is still scheduled to end in December.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Bayomecha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m851fgpYKsI

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:stwoon:

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Lookin' good, man!

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The PC is almost always gonna be the better option for multi-platform stuff; even games with genuinely good Wii U ports like Deus Ex and Sonic All-Stars Transformed are better played on PC, and a lot of 'em tend to be missing features that the other versions have because the publishers couldn't be bothered to maintain parity (Arkham Origins doesn't have multiplayer, for example.)

The only real exception I can think of is Rayman Legends, but that was designed for Wii U from the very beginning (and the Wii U-centric features aren't to everyone's tastes).

The Wii U version of Deus Ex is the most fully featured still.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Long John Power posted:

Which again was designed for the Wii U before Squeenix got cold feet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Long John Power posted:

The only thing the PC version is missing is some of the Gamepad/Miiverse-specific stuff, as far as I know, ie nothing that really compensates for the price difference. Like I said, definitely a worthy port, but if PC's an option I'd go with that version.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Nintendo systems have always had the worst versions of games since the N64 anyway. The only reason to buy a Nintendo system is the exclusives. There are a few notable exceptions, of course.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 13, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Nintendo systems have always had the worst versions of games since the N64 anyway. The only reason to buy a Nintendo system is the exclusives. There are a few notable exceptions, of course.

If we are comparing to PC then every system has worse versions of every game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

elf help book posted:

If we are comparing to PC then every system has worse versions of every game.

Nah, there's plenty of absolutely dire PC ports. DMC3, the old RE4 port, Deadly Premonition, Grandia 2, hell Dark Souls was a pretty bad port. Sometimes mods can fix them up a bit, but.. not always.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh I didn't care for Sonic Transformed at all on the PC, I think I played a few races. When I bought my Wii U it came with a copy and I played it a ton, no idea why I preferred it.

Also does the UK have the Club Nintendo Platinum that gets mentioned here, and how many coins do you need for it? I'm not sure if the US/UK get the same amount of points for game purchases because they seem completely different systems. Over here we get 250 points per game and I have 2000 in my account. The online store is complete garbage with not a single thing worth buying at this amount, or any amount it seems.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

No, we have stars instead of coins, we don't get Platinum rewards or anything, and our catalogue is terrible.

We don't get the Digital Deluxe promo or the Virtual Console reward games either.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

irlZaphod posted:

No, we have stars instead of coins, we don't get Platinum rewards or anything, and our catalogue is terrible.

We don't get the Digital Deluxe promo or the Virtual Console reward games either.

Well, the Platinum rewards aren't such a big deal. Last year it was a Zelda soundtrack or a set of 3 mid-sized posters. I guess the massive 8-bit Luigi poster was kinda cool, but otherwise, eh.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, this was pretty much it. It's a completely different kind of "screw the other players over" mechanic is all. But because of how it works, you're usually just dicking over the guys whose turn is after yours. There's a few situations where turn order can be reversed or scrambled, but otherwise your main goal is to be as big of an rear end in a top hat to the guy next in line, which is a lot easier since they can't avoid it (conversely, you can't avoid it either).
That overall shares a game philosophy with Uno, so I can appreciate the heights of dickery that it's capable of.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

We don't get the Digital Deluxe promo

Yeah we do it just has a different name. I claimed £10 last week.

Nintendo Network Premium: https://p.nintendo.net/premium/

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

irlZaphod posted:

and our catalogue is terrible.

Mario 3D World soundtrack. :colbert:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nevett posted:

Yup I was going to confirm this, I completely forgot about it until a friend mentioned recently and even though I've never spent a penny digitally I still had £5 (I was gifted 2 codes for Wii U Sports packs, and the Windwaker code from MK8 counted as full RRP).

Also I realise if I'd not sold my Pikmin/W101 codes, I would've had a few quid from them too. Really regretting that now.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yup I was going to confirm this, I completely forgot about it until a friend mentioned recently and even though I've never spent a penny digitally I still had £5 (I was gifted 2 codes for Wii U Sports packs, and the Windwaker code from MK8 counted as full RRP).

Also I realise if I'd not sold my Pikmin/W101 codes, I would've had a few quid from them too. Really regretting that now.

My codes came from the £7 price error on those games, plus the MK8 promo - so near enough free money. Unfortunately the eShop prices are still too high to make it worth cashing in except maybe on digital only game like Pushmo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nevett posted:

whaaaaaaaat :aaa:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder if they won't start offering those Amiibo things as Club Nintendo prizes.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Nevett posted:

A thing I did not know. 20 quid to me!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I had a fiver waiting for me from Pikmin 3 (through the MK8 promotion) and some VC games.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about getting a Wii U. Between the let's play of SM3DW, the release of MK8 and that great E3 (Smash Bros! Splatoon! Zelda!), it's just too good of a value right now with the MK8 promotion.

$200.00 - Wii U console (refurb) - 32 GB
$33.00 - Mario Kart 8 (Target price match of Amazon + $15 off for pre-ordering Smash)
$1.00 - Super Smash pre-order
$10.00 - Zombi U (Best Buy)
$50.00 - Super Mario 3D World
$20.00 - Wonderful 101
$20.00 - Rayman Legends
Free - Nintendo Land
Free - Wind Waker HD
= $334.00

OR

$330.00 - Wii U console (new) - 32 GB
$35.00 - Super Mario 3D world (Target deal)
$20.00 - Wonderful 101
$20.00 - Rayman Legends
Free - Mario Kart 8
Free - Wind Waker HD
= $416.00

Difference:
The $334.00 bundle is for a refurbished console and it doesn't come with a Wiimote Plus or Club Nintendo points, but it does include Nintendo Land.

Is the quality on the refurbished consoles generally high? If so, all I'm really losing by saving about $80 is a Wiimote Plus (I think I'd rather just get a pro controller anyway). I'm also getting Nintendo Land as a bonus, which is fun but not necessarily something I would have spent money on otherwise. I kinda sorta want to get back up to platinum on Club Nintendo, but all I got for doing that was a soundtrack last year anyway, so I'm probably just being retarded. I'll get to gold anyway through the game purchases, so whatever.

It blows my mind that I can get a Wii U with seven games and a pro controller for the price of a basic PS4. The Wii U value right now is insane.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

surf rock posted:

Is the quality on the refurbished consoles generally high? If so, all I'm really losing by saving about $80 is a Wiimote Plus (I think I'd rather just get a pro controller anyway). I'm also getting Nintendo Land as a bonus, which is fun but not necessarily something I would have spent money on otherwise. I kinda sorta want to get back up to platinum on Club Nintendo, but all I got for doing that was a soundtrack last year anyway, so I'm probably just being retarded. I'll get to gold anyway through the game purchases, so whatever.

It blows my mind that I can get a Wii U with seven games and a pro controller for the price of a basic PS4. The Wii U value right now is insane.

If I've learned one thing from this thread it's that the refurbs were refurbed between the thighs of virgins.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's an easy choice IMO, save the $80. Can't you get refurbed controllers on the US store for like $20 or something too? I wish there was an easy way of getting controllers over here, I tried my FaceBook page when I first got my Wii U to try find people who had Wiis and didn't want all their pads, no such luck though. Got one through Wii Party U and a non MP one from a electronics pawn shop place, but neither have nunchucks etc. I could easily poo poo out £100 just on pads it seems.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Maybe you already know this, but, if you try the Smash demo at Best Buy you can claim a coupon that'll let you get a discount on 3D World and/or hardware, accessories, etc.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

surf rock posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about getting a Wii U. Between the let's play of SM3DW, the release of MK8 and that great E3 (Smash Bros! Splatoon! Zelda!), it's just too good of a value right now with the MK8 promotion.

$200.00 - Wii U console (refurb) - 32 GB
$33.00 - Mario Kart 8 (Target price match of Amazon + $15 off for pre-ordering Smash)
$50.00 - Super Mario 3D World
$20.00 - Wonderful 101
$20.00 - Rayman Legends
Free - Nintendo Land
Free - Wind Waker HD
= $334.00

OR

$330.00 - Wii U console (new) - 32 GB
$35.00 - Super Mario 3D world (Target deal)
$20.00 - Wonderful 101
$20.00 - Rayman Legends
Free - Mario Kart 8
Free - Wind Waker HD
= $416.00

Difference:
The $334.00 bundle is for a refurbished console and it doesn't come with a Wiimote Plus or Club Nintendo points, but it does include Nintendo Land.

The first option is more bang for your buck and you could get more out of it by pre-ordering Smash for 3ds(or another game) and applying the additional $15 off to SMB3DW. You could use that additional amount you save to buy a wiimote/nunchuk refurb combo from Nintendo($20) if you wanted. Refurbs come with a 1 year warranty and it gets extended beyond that when you link it to your Club Nintendo account if I remember correctly.

It's a good idea to have a wiimote so you can access Wii mode, have more people play Nintendoland/other multiplayer games and have it as an alternate control scheme(Pikmin 3 is easier to control for some people with one vs gamepad/pro controller).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reggie has stated in an interview that the Amiibos will be 'comparably priced' to the Skylanders/Inifinity figures, for those who care.

I was out all last night and didn't see any of the treehouse stuff, did I miss anything (I watched a good chunk of the first 2 days so I'm presuming there was nothing but more detail of things I've seen before?)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Von Linus posted:

If I've learned one thing from this thread it's that the refurbs were refurbed between the thighs of virgins.

I'm going to assume this means, "the refurbs are pretty good."

Maybe you already know this, but, if you try the Smash demo at Best Buy you can claim a coupon that'll let you get a discount on 3D World and/or hardware, accessories, etc.

Huh, I didn't know about this. According to this, though, it looks like my local Best Buy isn't participating in Smash and I've have to drive more than an hour each way to get to a participating one. Those are nice coupons, but in reality Best Buy has SM3DW at full price whereas Amazon already has it $10 off, so all I'd save there would be $10. The other coupon would save me $5 on a Pro controller, but is $15 worth two hours of driving plus gas costs plus probably an hour or two of waiting in line? Nope, although it'd be nice to play the Smash demo. It'd be an easy choice if I could do it at my local Best Buy, though.

deafmute posted:

The first option is more bang for your buck and you could get more out of it by pre-ordering Smash for 3ds(or another game) and applying the additional $15 off to SMB3DW. You could use that additional amount you save to buy a wiimote/nunchuk refurb combo from Nintendo($20) if you wanted. Refurbs come with a 1 year warranty and it gets extended beyond that when you link it to your Club Nintendo account if I remember correctly.

It's a good idea to have a wiimote so you can access Wii mode, have more people play Nintendoland/other multiplayer games and have it as an alternate control scheme (Pikmin 3 is easier to control for some people with one vs gamepad/pro controller).

For your first point: You're saying that someone can do the Target promotion multiple times? So, they could preorder two games and then apply $15 discounts to two separate games?

Also, I have a few Wiimotes and nunchuks left over from my Wii, couldn't I just use those? They don't have the MotionPlus stuff, but is that really necessary?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

They're supposedly giving out the coupons again for the second smash event on Saturday, you can use them again if you used them Wednesday and get 20 bucks off another game. Just ask for another copy of the coupons. You don't need to try the demo to get them. Also bestbuy has the 60 dollar Nintendo games down to 55, so you would be paying around 35-40 depending on tax.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

surf rock posted:

For your first point: You're saying that someone can do the Target promotion multiple times? So, they could preorder two games and then apply $15 discounts to two separate games?

Also, I have a few Wiimotes and nunchuks left over from my Wii, couldn't I just use those? They don't have the MotionPlus stuff, but is that really necessary?
Correct, from the wording of the promotion it doesn't say that there is a limit on how many pre-orders you can make but each $15 would have to be applied to a different game(no buying 4 pre-orders and trying to apply them all to one $60 game). If you still have wiimotes/nunchuks from Wii using those will work perfectly fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was out all last night and didn't see any of the treehouse stuff, did I miss anything (I watched a good chunk of the first 2 days so I'm presuming there was nothing but more detail of things I've seen before?)

I think the new Wii U games on the last day were Bayonetta 1/2 and Devil's Third.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cheers, I might skim through the video over the weekend then as I don't know much about those games, the only detailed video I saw was the B1 costume stuff which looked really neat. Also reminds me I didn't see the section on X so I should watch that too.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So I'm moving to Japan in a couple weeks, and I think I've decided I want a Wii U. I won't have much time for gaming at first but I plan on staying abroad for at least a few years and it would be way too much of a pain to import a Wii U as opposed to just buying it early and packing it in my suitcase.

Does anyone know of any hurdles I will have to jump to get it working and continue to use a North American e-shop account? How about accessories like a Wii Remote+Chuck, Pro controller etc. Can I buy the Japanese versions of the accessories and expect them to work on my North American Wii U?

Thanks if anybody has tried this and can give me some info.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

quote:

So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.

Quote from head of Special Projects. So I guess hold onto hope, Metroid fans.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Pegnose Pete posted:

So I'm moving to Japan in a couple weeks, and I think I've decided I want a Wii U. I won't have much time for gaming at first but I plan on staying abroad for at least a few years and it would be way too much of a pain to import a Wii U as opposed to just buying it early and packing it in my suitcase.

Does anyone know of any hurdles I will have to jump to get it working and continue to use a North American e-shop account? How about accessories like a Wii Remote+Chuck, Pro controller etc. Can I buy the Japanese versions of the accessories and expect them to work on my North American Wii U?

I'm pretty sure all accessories are region-free, at the very least I know that my US and EU Wiimotes worked on US Wii, EU Wii, and EU WiiU. eShop is entirely hardware-region bound without any IP locking, so your US WiiU will still work just fine on the US eShop in Japan.

Physical game discs are region-locked and Japanese discs thus won't work, nor will you be able to connect to the Japanese eShop.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

How about accessories like a Wii Remote+Chuck, Pro controller etc. Can I buy the Japanese versions of the accessories and expect them to work on my North American Wii U?

Controllers aren't region locked and are much cheaper in Japan than NA($20-25 for pro controllers vs $50). You can also get extended gamepad batteries there still :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

PrBacterio posted:

Is anyone else as excited as I am for that Captain Toad game? It looked much more amazing that I could have ever imagined on the treehouse stream :ohdear:

Absolutely. I think it looks great, really almost all the games they've shown have me excited but drat treasure hunting puzzle excitement in that beautiful world? Yes plz.

• Locked thread