Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Countblanc posted:

Haha, I never noticed the little red guy mocking Max.

Even the little dude's freaked out by Lefty's tendons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ha Ha holy poo poo Max you suck at this

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Well I guess that plot-line was just derailed. Maybe now we can get back on track.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One day, people will remember to link the new page.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

sirtommygunn posted:

Well I guess that plot-line was just derailed. Maybe now we can get back on track.

I had something to say but these terrible puns made me lose my train of thought.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So scrapdragon: is annoyed at Max, but apparently did save him from being splattered against the tracks. Thanks, scrappy!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
God max you suck at this.

And I don't think any of this indicates scrappy is unintelligent, how articulate would you be if someone barged in and cracked you on the nose with a bat?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Look at the shadow changing

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

flatluigi posted:

Look at the shadow changing

Huh. So does the spectral stuff gripping him cast a shadow or is it something else? Also, Max fell ahead of the train. Dude gonna get runned over.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Fried Chicken posted:

And I don't think any of this indicates scrappy is unintelligent, how articulate would you be if someone barged in and cracked you on the nose with a bat?

Dunno, but I'd probably say a word or two instead of roaring unintelligibly.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Fried Chicken posted:

Huh. So does the spectral stuff gripping him cast a shadow or is it something else? Also, Max fell ahead of the train. Dude gonna get runned over.

This was my thought too, he better roll to the side fast.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Dolash posted:

This was my thought too, he better roll to the side fast.

The spirit train will just distort him though. Unless there is a real train, too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

The spirit train will just distort him though. Unless there is a real train, too.

Not necessarily, since Max can stand on the train it is a physical being to him. Perhaps it doesn't distort spectrals

VVVV Don't remember spender gettting distorted (you mean when he was talking to the scientist at the beginning of the chapter?)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 13, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not necessarily, since Max can stand on the train it is a physical being to him. Perhaps it doesn't distort spectrals

It distorted Spender. It seems to distort things in front of it/that it would run into, hence its ability to go through the barrier (and any other obstacle in its way). Getting on top of it or going through a door or window is different from that.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Assuming its position in scrapworld indicates its real world trajectory it's going to dive underground again well before it gets near Max.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Wonderslug posted:

Assuming its position in scrapworld indicates its real world trajectory it's going to dive underground again well before it gets near Max.

That's what I was thinking too, which means that Max and Isabel are about to get separated. Well, more than they already were.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fried Chicken posted:

There's also the issue of this: Does Scrapdragon have a vested interest in Max believing he's intelligent? Here, he seems to get his desired result without speaking a cogent word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The train is going to disappear underground then Johnny and co. are going to show up and find Max laying on the railroad tracks like some kinda weird nerd.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Man, I'm not even going to bother speculating on what will happen. It's all just so :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you have forgotten Spender being distorted you should feel shame because you have forgotten the single best panel in all of Paranatural.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
...Holy crap, I just realized something. In the last panel, the scrapworld has disappeared, but Max's eyes are still glowing. As unlikely as I originally thought it was, it looks like Max really does have two spirits.

Also, on a less important note, those train tracks appear in the human world, not just in scrappyvision. I hope a real train isn't coming along any time soon.

e: /\ /\ /\ Counterpoint: Forecast Octopus. :colbert:

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 13, 2014

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
Alt text for this one's great. I guess Zach's been reading some of the theories people have been posting on forums.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

youcallthatatwist posted:

...Holy crap, I just realized something. In the last panel, the scrapworld has disappeared, but Max's eyes are still glowing. As unlikely as I originally thought it was, it looks like Max really does have two spirits.

I'm pretty sure his eyes are still glowing because he is still in scrapworld, and we are just seeing him from the outside as Scrappy (or some other spirit,) catches him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, while the possibility of a second spirit is looking increasingly likely, the white eyes are not proof of it in and of themselves. I was contemplating the same thing earlier before realizing that they'd be that way anyway because, yeah, Spirit Time nonsense.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Imagine how fast Max went flying in realtime. From an outside viewer he quickly stood up on the back of the spirit train, swung around his bat a bit, and then zoomed off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

And now Max is stranded on the wrong side of the barrier. Maybe he can meet up with Spender and Forge, who are no doubt friends now that they talked out their differences

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
were there actual train tracks in the real world?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, at this point I'm a little stumped. Only thing I can see in this page is that in the last panel most of the spectral energy and glow is centered around Max's backpack. Plus, it looks like he's being lifted by the backpack. So maybe that's a second unknown tool. I'd have thought the Activity Club would have noticed that, but we don't know yet how they identify tools that wish to conceal themselves.

But this is more baseless speculation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure that what happens is that Max comes flying off, is about to splat on the ground, and then his eyes glow as scrapdragon grabs intervenes and grabs him by the metal in his backpack for a second and gives him a boost upwards to arrest his fall so he doesn't die. (Remember backpack's full of metal? That's why it's surrounded by glow. Magnetic manipulation).

The question is can the spirits in tools use their powers by themselves when in ~*~*~spirit fusion~*~*~? If so I reckon that's all that's happening. Otherwise... guess it's possession.

On a different note, his bat's in his right hand when he flies off the train and in his left hand in the last panels, but I think that might be an art error. (Not sure which way he's facing in the shadows, actually, so can't tell which is holding it there)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 13, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
It looks to me based on the shadow that Max sprouts wings. It even fits with the last panel. Glowy eyes is gliding, the jump up is a beat of the wings to break momentum, and then drop. Definitely looking like I'm not the crazy one after all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure that what happens is that Max comes flying out of scrapworld, is about to splat on the ground, and then his eyes glow as scrapdragon grabs intervenes and grabs him by the metal in his backpack for a second to arrest his fall so he doesn't die. (Remember backpack's full of metal? That's why it's surrounded by glow. Magnetic manipulation)

We already know that Spectral eyes glow in the real world when they're interacting with their spirits, but from the perspective of those in Spirit Time they aren't glowing. See Isaac's conversation with the storm god for proof of this.

Max's eyes did not start glowing there, that was just the first time we were looking at him from the perspective of the real world rather than his vision.

That said, good catch about the backpack and its metal contents. That definitely would fit his poses there.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is all being set up for Johnny's posse to show up and beat the crap out of Max some more.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Reading back, I finally got why possessed Max had two little tails for his speech bubbles. Scrapdragon has two mouths.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hypocrisy posted:

Reading back, I finally got why possessed Max had two little tails for his speech bubbles. Scrapdragon has two mouths.

Or it was because Scrapdragon was speaking through max's mouth. A sort of double tongue, if you will.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hypocrisy posted:

Scrapdragon has as many mouths as he needs, actually?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I like how whatever it was that caught Max just tossed him face first on the tracks right after.

At this point I'm just waiting to see Isabel's reaction when she finds out Max didn't die a horribly painful death a mile underground.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hypocrisy posted:

Or it's because Scrapdragon has two personalities! The possibilities are endless*!

*may not actually be endless

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

This is the third time Max broke a fall with a smaller fall.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Yeah, what she's actually eating is the WORDS on the paper. And the paper itself is just leftover wast that she magically controls. So presumably she could slurp the words off of other things.

Such a shame Eightfold is (probably) dead... I want now to see them graffiti shakespeare all over a building, have eightfold eat it and become a giant scorpion building golem thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I imagined that the two tails on the speech bubble was because Scrapdragon was using his own voice and Max's voice at the same time.

I read a lot of crappy (and one or two good) manga and have been a Game of Thrones fan for years, so believe me when I say that Max also being possessed by a hitherto unknown and unseen second gunman spirit is one of the dumbest theories I've ever heard.