Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the coursera princeton algos course starts today if you're like me and forget everything youve ever learned yearly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Share Bear posted:

the coursera princeton algos course starts today if you're like me and forget everything youve ever learned yearly

i've probably forgotten (if i ever knew) anything that would be a prerequisite :downs:

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

oh lord but he's arguing with zaphod42, the worst poster on the forums

close Games

my coworker's irc nick is zaphod42... goon found

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MeramJert posted:

the real sacrifice is the part where he actually reads a thread

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Share Bear posted:

thx for mentioning this it looks good

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Maggot Monster posted:

my coworker's irc nick is zaphod42... goon found

it might not be the same guy, they could just be the two least creative people in the world

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

42 :iamafag:

I'm a really hoopy frood you guys :iamafag:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
someone please briefly explain CDNs and syncing data between 18 active servers

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

someone please briefly explain CDNs and syncing data between 18 active servers

black magic

pay someone to do it for you and don't worry about it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

black magic

pay someone to do it for you and don't worry about it

i dont need to know how to do it but my work does it and i feel like i need to know how to do it or they will make fun of me and then fire me

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

i dont need to know how to do it but my work does it and i feel like i need to know how to do it or they will make fun of me and then fire me

it's legit black magic

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well knowing that's how everyone else feels makes me feel a little better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
CDNs are so expensive to operate that no one does

there's no standard off-the-shelf way to do it because it's prohibitively expensive for any individual firm.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
right but i'm not talking about operating one i'm just talking about hooking your poo poo up to one

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

just upload and link yo poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
but what about running like 18 dbs??

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

that's not cdn that's high availability replication

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

that's not cdn that's high availability replication

oh yeah there was an & in there that i wasnt clear about

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oh ya

so db replication works as a master/slave situation. the master is usually on more powerful hardware and handles writes then propagates down to the slaves which handle reads

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so what if your user does stuff on one node and then teleports to another node that has a different db??

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

that happens alot. dunno if you remember when facebook had serious issues with write propagation where you'd post something and it wouldn't show up until all the db servers synched.

basically there are all sorts of ways to tune and optimize replication but it's really loving hard to do and if you're at the point where you have enough demand on your db that you need to tune it up to that degree go hire a company that does it for a living 'cause it's really goddamn complicated

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ok cool.

so my knowledge about it needs to be

if i need to read from the nwtwork, read from a slave

otherwise don't worry about it

you know it's funny because i understood all of this cuz it makes sense but you just assume it's more complicated

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
can someone please explain, very briefly because i dumb, what exactly asm.js is?

*pitches*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bizarre distributed architectures are for idiots who can't get authorization to buy bigger servers

you can buy servers with tens of terabytes of ram. what the gently caress database do you have that doesn't fit in memory, but can also survive being sharded, and also requires high online load?

those databases exist but they are much less common than dweebs trying to build bizarre, pointless distributed systems out of nickel VMs on amazon

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

can someone please explain, very briefly because i dumb, what exactly asm.js is?

*pitches*

it's a library to help you write js that can be auto-optimized by v8 and others. get close to the metal, frontend bro

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

*pitches*

i'm very drunk and also a bad programmer but it looks like it just overriedes normal javascript methods and then uses some weird vodoo http://asmjs.org/spec/latest/#introduction to somehow make it compile faster than normal javascript

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bizarre distributed architectures are for idiots who can't get authorization to buy bigger servers

you can buy servers with tens of terabytes of ram. what the gently caress database do you have that doesn't fit in memory, but can also survive being sharded, and also requires high online load?

those databases exist but they are much less common than dweebs trying to build bizarre, pointless distributed systems out of nickel VMs on amazon

work has one of those databases but they also have secondaries for every shard. afaict special snowflake dbs come in when you want to save money on hardware by switching from relational to something barely suitable for your specific needs. that way you can increase hardware utilization without sacrificing HA (ofc reinventing this wheel is v. painful which is why only engineering groups run by 23-year-olds do it)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Valeyard posted:

*pitches*

it's poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Valeyard posted:

*pitches*

it's a restricted subset of JavaScript that's limited enough that Firefox can pretend that it isn't JavaScript and optimize it almost like a real language while being backwards compatible with normal JavaScript interpreters

nobody else supports it directly so Firefox will outperform them on asm.js, but they still perform better than normal JavaScript

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a library to help you write js that can be auto-optimized by v8 and others. get close to the metal, frontend bro

pseudorandom name posted:

it's a restricted subset of JavaScript that's limited enough that Firefox can pretend that it isn't JavaScript and optimize it almost like a real language while being backwards compatible with normal JavaScript interpreters

nobody else supports it directly so Firefox will outperform them on asm.js, but they still perform better than normal JavaScript

i'm very drunk and also a bad programmer but it looks like it just overriedes normal javascript methods and then uses some weird vodoo http://asmjs.org/spec/latest/#introduction to somehow make it compile faster than normal javascript

right, so i gather from this that is not something im ever going to touch...hopefully. i just stumbled across it and was curious

thank you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Valeyard posted:

right, so i gather from this that is not something im ever going to touch...hopefully. i just stumbled across it and was curious

yeah, it's something a compiler targets, not humans

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

does anyone have tips for finding poo poo on github to improve on.

like i want to get some github points easily basically. i browsed thourhg like 20 pages of php poo poo and didn't care or feat intimidated by the activity of the project.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Valeyard posted:

*pitches*

the future

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

my homie dhall fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 14, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

PleasureKevin posted:

does anyone have tips for finding poo poo on github to improve on.

like i want to get some github points easily basically. i browsed thourhg like 20 pages of php poo poo and didn't care or feat intimidated by the activity of the project.
the easiest way is to work on your own/your work's projects which makes use of a github-hosted library which then turns out to be a heap of poo poo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Share Bear posted:

I'll try to watch every lecture and do the exercises of this but dunno if I'll have much time to do the project assignments.

I already learned a new word: Linearithmic

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lmaooooooo

get the gently caress out of here bsd

what happens when ur special pet db just dies due to a hw failure? or the datacenter goes down? or _______? or it's been a few years and u now need a 1000TB DB and poo poo that's crazy expensive to buy and to run

or what if u hit the cpu limit on intel systems? or some other single system h/w limit?

if your app can't scale horizontally its a bad app. vertical scaling is for chumps

and to properly scale horizontally u need HA so enter distributed systems

s

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ok cool.

so my knowledge about it needs to be

if i need to read from the nwtwork, read from a slave

otherwise don't worry about it

you know it's funny because i understood all of this cuz it makes sense but you just assume it's more complicated

u should not need to know the architecture of how ur db's clustering is set up

someone's missing a proxy that handles this logic for the cluster

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
horizontal scaling is easy so long as you try and keep stuff dumb

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

also let ops handle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

coffeetable posted:

the easiest way is to work on your own/your work's projects which makes use of a github-hosted library which then turns out to be a heap of poo poo.

but you see, all my ideas are total gold and i can't give them out for free.

• Locked thread