Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't be the only one who finds it a little disturbing that MTGO's admins are posting about how many foil Lotuses, Time Walk, etc. have been opened and who opened them. That means they know how many Boulderfall I've drafted in THS block drafts. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't be the only one who finds it a little disturbing that MTGO's admins are posting about how many foil Lotuses, Time Walk, etc. have been opened and who opened them. That means they know how many Boulderfall I've drafted in THS block drafts. :tinfoil:

Where are they posting about this?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nemico posted:

I need you guys to post all of the lovely combos that people have tried from the last few years of standard. It's for a project DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS

Infinite mana Wall Combo with the Axebane Guardian and the untapper soulbond guy
2 Myr Galvanizers + mana myrs infinite mana combo, or with Splinter Twin because why not
Archaeomancer + Cackling Counterpart + Druids' Deliverance lockout combo
Heartless Summoning + Havengul Lich + Perilous Myr (though that one was more just a nice synergy in a deck trying to get value out of Heartless Summoning, rather than a single combo the whole deck was built around) It also had the 2xHeartless Summoning + Rune-Scarred Demon fetching Phyrexian Metamorph combo.

Dr. Stab posted:

Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm

Doesn't that lock *both* players out of being able to cast spells? :raise:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sanguine bond + exquisite blood.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Where are they posting about this?

https://twitter.com/MagicOnline

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't even get it. Who cares about foils in non-redeemable online sets?

Entropic posted:

Yes. Whoever has the best resources on the board wins. The only thing you can do is draw down to Mutavaults.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

It does, I heard some guys theorycrafting it last FNM, basically the goal is to "win the Mutavault war" pre-going off w/ Eidolon. Whether this means run Demolish or not is up to you.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everblight posted:

It does, I heard some guys theorycrafting it last FNM, basically the goal is to "win the Mutavault war" pre-going off w/ Eidolon. Whether this means run Demolish or not is up to you.

Clearly a reason to run Rogue's Passage then. Or better yet, the flying blue sliver. Jank Patriot Combo, the best kind of combo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The jankiest combo decks I can remember in a long time were those Seance decks, and also I guess any deck trying to win off the singleton Mirror Mad Phantasm / Lab Maniac.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
The both-sides spell lock can also be taken advantage of with non-card-casting options like Bloodrush, Cipher, Maze's End, etc.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Nemico posted:

I need you guys to post all of the lovely combos that people have tried from the last few years of standard. It's for a project DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS

Young Pyromancer + Hidden Strings + Molten Birth + Battle Hymn + Past in Flames + Burn at the Stake

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

rabidsquid posted:

The jankiest combo decks I can remember in a long time were those Seance decks, and also I guess any deck trying to win off the singleton Mirror Mad Phantasm / Lab Maniac.

Seance was loving brutal in my pre-AVR pod deck. Seance tokens have their correct CMC, so I can get two Blade Splicers and two lands off of one Virdian Emissary.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Open the Vaults + Cyclers + Esper Charm + Filigree Angel (+ Sanguine Bond)
Brilliant Ultimatum + Liliana Vess + Emrakul

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sage of Hours + Ajani + Kalonian Hydra

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Aurelia + Stolen Identity + Cipher Stolen Identity on another creature.

And one of my own brewing:
Aurelia's Fury + multiple Battlefield Thaumaturges.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone watching the SCG stream?

:siren: Modern alongside Legacy on Sundays at future SCG opens :siren:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

One step away from legacy going the way of vintage.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Starting when?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Angry Grimace posted:

It's possible they just know numbers without being able to ID who drafted what.
With that being said what the hell are you doing

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Starting when?

I'm not sure, a coworker who was watching the stream blurted it out and he doesn't know. I'm sure we'll have more info by end of day.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OK it starts at SCG Baltimore which is apparently the week after GP Portland.

They're 5k instead of 10k and they start at 11:00. Coverage likely to still be legacy.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Soooo, time for another Zen fetch price spike?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

First game, opponent is on the play and plays Library of Alexandria. My turn - Dark Ritual, Choking Sands, target Library of Alexandria. :allears:

I don't get it, he still got a 2-for-1.
Obviously it's not as good for him as if Library just stayed in play, but it still seems like a net gain for the other guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Obviously it's not as good for him as if Library just stayed in play, but it still seems like a net gain for the other guy.

Its only a 2-for-1 in a total vacuum, because he would have used Library of Alexandria to draw a card the next turn. Library is repeatable, free, uncounterable card advantage. There's no reason to ever let it stay in play if you actually have a way to remove it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 13, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

One step away from legacy going the way of vintage.
They said they'd still be covering legacy on sundays. I doubt they'd be so quick to abandon legacy because they make a lot of their money selling cards for the format.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Elyv posted:

Honest question: have you ever played with or against Library in limited? It's loving insane. You usually draw 4-5 cards off of it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dude could have kept a sketchy hand because of the Library. It is seriously among the top limited cards ever, up there with Sol Ring and Umezawa's Jitte.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Nemico posted:

This is maybe the worst I have ever seen

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

Honest question: have you ever played with or against Library in limited? It's loving insane. You usually draw 4-5 cards off of it.

I know; my wording was poor, but I was trying to say Library still got his opponent an advantage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

goferchan posted:

That is unfortunately not a Standard combo but it is impressively terrible. Using Bazaar Trader to give yourself temporarily stolen cards is a lot of fun though, he's a great engine for really stupid and bad combos all by himself.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

OK it starts at SCG Baltimore which is apparently the week after GP Portland.

They're 5k instead of 10k and they start at 11:00. Coverage likely to still be legacy.

As someone going to SCG Portland I say booooooo.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

goferchan posted:

You broke tables, and that was never legal in Standard.

Efb

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

goferchan posted:

That doesn't even work, you need to make it so that only Master of Cruelties attacks if able. By my reading of 508.1d, if they have any other creatures out then attacking with those other creatures would satisfy at least as many requirements as attacking with MoC.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I know; my wording was poor, but I was trying to say Library still got his opponent an advantage.

He also lost a mana producing land and doesn't have Library of Alexandria in play any more. I'm not sure how that's actually an advantage.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The March Hare posted:

I will be opening foil power on stream in ~15 minutes.

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

3-0, no foil power.

In another q right now with first pick sylvan library.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

goferchan posted:

Fantastic, so now you're tapped out at 1 life and you have to survive their Turn 6. If they've casted at least a 1/1 on any of their first six turns, you're boned.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Yeah but you have a creature and hopefully they have none.

e: Also maybe you're casting spells off off nightveil spectre or daxos or something.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 13, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The March Hare posted:

3-0, no foil power.

In another q right now with first pick sylvan library.

Any advice? I'm pretty bad, I think I'm overcommitting to cute archetypes instead of taking the strongest cards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Any advice? I'm pretty bad, I think I'm overcommitting to cute archetypes instead of taking the strongest cards.

Play some Swiss drafts to get a feel for the archetypes in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Yeah I'm just playing swiss to figure poo poo out. Played bog standard U/W skies to 3-0 and now I have an insane madness deck in U/G that I'm about to test out.

• Locked thread