Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I have a Fuji X-E1 that I got for stupid cheap. I love it but the one thing that pisses me right off is how poor the focus assist is and how that makes shooting in the dark impossible. I use the camera as a shitshooter for parties so this is a bit of an issue.

I'm wondering, and this may not be the place to ask. If I could rig a IR light to the hotshoe would this assist focusing? I know the sensor has an IR cut filter but if I could just blow more non visible light into the scene would the drat thing focus quicker? The blue LED on the front is awful and is easy to cover while shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I've read that it's common in the XE-1 (and other contrast detect focus cameras) that the AF-illuminator actually often hinders the AF. Most people disable it immediately.

Also, have you tried making the AF point larger?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I was shooting a show last night in very low light (the 1/40, f/1.8 ISO12800 kind of low) and man, that A7s can't come out fast enough. It's a tribute to the 5N sensor and DxO 9 that I even got usable photos out of it. The alleged improved low light AF of the A7s alone will be worth it as the 5N could barely focus for poo poo and I ended up manual focusing a lot of shots.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Welp, it's time to sell off that Fuji X-T1 before the prices crash. It looks like an incremental upgrade is on the way.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That would be really mean Fuji :catstare:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Maybe it's a misunderstanding and they're actually releasing the X-Pro 2.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can you imagine getting the 2 Zeiss lens and an used XT1 for about 1.5k total. Thats a hell of deal for an APSC system camera! That's what a paid Fuji blogger would say. :3

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Eh, I paid less for my X-T1 than I did for my refurbished 7D, and I'm way happier with the X-T1. I doubt they will bring out an X-T1.1, but it won't magically make my X-T1 obsolete.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Kind of weird for them to upgrade the viewfinder since people have been gushing over it already.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I don't give a poo poo if they release XT-2 next month. X-T1 is finally the camera body I will use for years without wanting to upgrade. It literally has everything I desired in a camera body. I can't think of a thing I would improve on it other than minor cosmetic stuff.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

keyframe posted:

I don't give a poo poo if they release XT-2 next month. X-T1 is finally the camera body I will use for years without wanting to upgrade. It literally has everything I desired in a camera body. I can't think of a thing I would improve on it other than minor cosmetic stuff.

Same, other than irrelevant cosmetic stuff (relativly cheap plastic sd card cover door for example)... everything else is great.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
If true, then waiting for dat price drop.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Am I sick for wanting to sell my 5D3 + lenses to get hooked up with dat xt-1 + zeiss lens deal?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like you need to lift a weight.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

Am I sick for wanting to sell my 5D3 + lenses to get hooked up with dat xt-1 + zeiss lens deal?

Unless you're regularly using that crazy autofocus or the super high ISO, not really.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mightaswell posted:

I sold my 5d3 plus lenses to go with Fuji, and it has been an enjoyable, beautiful ride. My favorite parts are how much smaller my kit is and how much better files look straight from the camera. I don't even bother doing post work anymore because the EVF lets you nail exposure and color, and because the files are beautiful and contrasty straight out of camera.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Mightaswell posted:

Am I sick for wanting to sell my 5D3 + lenses

I'll give you a case of beer for it

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I went from a T3i to an X-T1 kit and don't regret it for a moment

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

I went from a T3i to an X-T1 kit and don't regret it for a moment

Not really the same going to a XT1 from a Fullframe camera that weighs a ton more than a 31 year old sensor that is the T3i.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Musket posted:

Not really the same going to a XT1 from a Fullframe camera that weighs a ton more than a 31 year old sensor that is the T3i.

Drunk post?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Typo, probably, but his point is sound. The 5D3 and T3i aren't comparable cameras at all.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

xenilk posted:

Same, other than irrelevant cosmetic stuff (relativly cheap plastic sd card cover door for example)... everything else is great.

I continually smile whenever I hold/look at/use mine, it is very much a joy to use. It is everything I have ever wanted in a mirrorless camera since their introduction (well, save for FF which I don't miss because fuji's glass kicks rear end). It is a great camera in the same way my mamiya 6 is, just so drat fun.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Y'all need to stop trying to make me spend money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Crop-lens lineups have always been kinda "meh" to me because they're clearly second-class citizens. They always seem carefully calculated to suck enough that you buy a full-frame body but not so much that you actually leave the system.

Most lineups basically consist of some kind of normal lens, a kit lens, and then whatever full-frame superwides could be pressed into reasonable service. Even when manufacturers actually produce a full lineup of crop lenses (eg Pentax) they tend to be a bit on the slow and crappy side of things (f/2.4 normal lens).

Fuji basically removes that complaint totally so far as I can see. They're not Sigma Art-level performance but they're all very reasonable optically, they're small, they're fast, and they hit all the classic focal lengths. They push out new bodies when justified by hardware advances, and otherwise just push out firmware updates that beef up their older bodies. Generally they actually seem to be paying attention to making a good tool for making photographs instead of just making a buck.

I'm really impressed and when money's a little less tight I'm thinking I'll give the X-system a try.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 12, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Crop-lens lineups have always been kinda "meh" to me because they're clearly second-class citizens. They always seem carefully calculated to suck enough that you buy a full-frame body but not so much that you actually leave the system.

Yeah this was deffo Nikon's evil tactic for the years when literally every camera they made, including pro series ones, had crop sensors.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Pardon the shameless cross-post, but I'm still trying to sell my last Fuji X-E1 over in the buy/sell thread. At $333, it's a super cheap way to pick up a backup body, easily adapt/use old lenses, or just find out what the big deal is about Fuji. Check it out!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rumor: XT-1+ will double down on the EVF? I don't know how I feel about this rumor news. Somebody feel free to tell me.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

whatever7 posted:

rumor: XT-1+ will double down on the EVF? I don't know how I feel about this rumor news. Somebody feel free to tell me.

Depends on if the extra resolution re-introduces lag, right?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I can't read through this whole drat thread, but I'm thinking about getting one of the Canon EOS M's with the 22mm lens as a travel camera.

Any strong reason not to?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

psylent posted:

I can't read through this whole drat thread, but I'm thinking about getting one of the Canon EOS M's with the 22mm lens as a travel camera.

AF speed sucks, no lenses, ergonomics are bad, user interface is awful.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

psylent posted:

Canon intentionally gimps their mirrorless cameras so they don't eat into their dSLR sales. Same for Nikon.

Get a micro 4/3rds, Fuji or NEX instead.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

This a6000 is the tits. It's so small. gently caress that giant d800.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
how does the a6000 compare to the x-e2 in terms of size? I was also wondering what lens is the best competitor to the 35m 1.4 in the e mount range. The only e mout lens I've use is the standard kit on and honestly I thought it was awful.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

psylent posted:

At basement bargain price, its basically a great bar-trash-travel camera. Dont let the lovely ergonomics scare you from having a camera you can toss with no fucks given.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

psylent posted:

Just about any other mirrorless camera on the market right now would be a better choice.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nondescript Van posted:

how does the a6000 compare to the x-e2 in terms of size? I was also wondering what lens is the best competitor to the 35m 1.4 in the e mount range. The only e mout lens I've use is the standard kit on and honestly I thought it was awful.
The a6000 looks like it's pretty similar to the NEX-6 in terms of size, which I used to own. Compared to my X-E2, the a6000 should be a bit smaller, but both are small enough to fit in a coat pocket or small bag with a pancake lens attached. The main difference will be heft, as the X-E2 feels much more substantial in your hand, whereas the a6000 should feel comparatively light. If you're looking at a a6000, consider the NEX-6 as well; though Sony can be a little hit-and-miss with its gear, the NEX-6 was definitely a hit. Since the a6000 is it's replacement, you might be able to find some NEX-6 bodies on clearance.

For 35ish-mm lenses on the e-mount, popular choices include the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (sharp and cheap, but with a slower aperture), the Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 (very sharp, but expensive and with a slightly slower aperture), and the Konica 40mm f/1.8 pancake (small even with the adapter and cheap, but manual focus only).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

the Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 (very sharp, but expensive and with a slightly slower aperture)
I didn't know this existed. gently caress you so much for making me think about sony again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I didn't know this existed. gently caress you so much for making me think about sony again.

The Sony 35mm f/1.8 is almost as nice optically, has IS, and is a lot cheaper.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I thought it was alpha mount though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought it was alpha mount though?

Nope!