Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texasmed
May 27, 2004
I might have to check it out. I've got 5/6 of the tracks already run this season, and 2/6 of the ones not run yet, though. :negative:

Also I'm glad that my Trading Paints poo poo is still up, though I'm upset with myself that I deleted all the assets I used to make this for no reason in particular. :downs: Finding throwback 1980s crankshaft company logos in high-res was a bitch. Most of them ended up resized to something like 25 pixels to stick on the side, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Everyone has cool paintjobs, and I've looked at templates in Gimp once and ran away screaming :(

KingShibby posted:

I test ran 10 laps in race trim and bested a 24.827, laps are on iSpeed

I put some into iSpeed. I'm pretty loose for the first couple laps, but after that it feels pretty planted (and we'll have 4 laps for qual, so that works out well). I'll probably screw around with my setup more later in the week, but I've got to get the official series in and Laguna is promising to ruin my SR.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

I put some into iSpeed. I'm pretty loose for the first couple laps, but after that it feels pretty planted (and we'll have 4 laps for qual, so that works out well). I'll probably screw around with my setup more later in the week, but I've got to get the official series in and Laguna is promising to ruin my SR.

Yeah my setup was a little loose too until the tires warm up. I've found that the key to stability on these kinds of ovals is the camber. At Charlotte and here at The Rock I maxed out positive (left-leaning) camber on all 4 tires, which allows me to run as little (if any) wing.

I managed to get my SR up to C3.57 so I'll finally get up to Road B for next season. I don't forsee myself running any official SM races for the rest of the season, but I'm still practicing and doing RTI.

DW12 here I come :getin:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Indycar next season.

I can't check right now, but I think I'm still running negative camber on the right side. I know I'm not quite down to minimum wing settings yet, but hopefully I'll be able to drop them more still.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Hypothetical post, but how much would you pay for the Le Mans course in iRacing? I can only imagine just how resource-intensive it would be, but drat would that make for some fun races.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
I'd pay $60 for Le Mans and a Viper to go along with it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Burn the Priest posted:

I'd pay $60 for Le Mans and a Viper to go along with it.

I was thinking $50 for the track itself. I'm sure a lot of other people would pay that much for Le Mans. I mean it's almost 8.5mi long, I'm sure it would cost iRacing a lot compared to other tracks.

Also please everyone with other goons on your iRacing friend list, make sure you enable text chat so that we can collaborate and better plan events. It also helps you find spotters and observers to help you get better.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a super secret list of goon names?
Or do I need to be in irc more?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

tater_salad posted:

Is there a super secret list of goon names?
Or do I need to be in irc more?

Well if you're in GoonCar, the member roster should have SA names. The old thread had an outdated list, but that thread was in PGS

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

KingShibby posted:

Hypothetical post, but how much would you pay for the Le Mans course in iRacing? I can only imagine just how resource-intensive it would be, but drat would that make for some fun races.

14.95 exactly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think games is behind the pay wall. I'm not in gooncar because the time won't fit, I'd buy the skippy and run like 1 race

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Ran a class a open race at MIS with a DWC driver on the pole. Now I know what it felt like to be an ARCA regular trying to keep up with Kyle Larson at Pocono. The closest I got was 27 seconds behind.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

DEMAG posted:

Ran a class a open race at MIS with a DWC driver on the pole. Now I know what it felt like to be an ARCA regular trying to keep up with Kyle Larson at Pocono. The closest I got was 27 seconds behind.

I beat a DWC driver at Pocono in fixed trucks.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=6184156&custid=68324

He was wiped out lap 1, turn 1

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

DEMAG posted:

Speaking as a DWC driver myself, don't worry, it's not a lack of talent or anything. It's 90% setup.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

L_Harrison posted:

Speaking as a DWC driver myself, don't worry, it's not a lack of talent or anything. It's 90% setup.

Yeah it was his DWC setup. People asked if could share and he said it was his race setup. It did feel good that I got up to 2nd so my setup was very good just not pro good.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I've just started racing again after about 18 months out, I'm assuming they've changed the models a bit since then? I ask because I cannot get anywhere near some of my old times and comparing them to 2014 times would put me in the top 10 at some tracks (in the MX5).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

L_Harrison posted:

Big surprise L Harrison is a DWC driver, I spent so much time in Forza 4 trying to beat your times.

After a week, I finally got caught up in a big Rookie crash. Rookie 1 wrecked Rookie 2 on the backstretch of Charlotte, I saw a great gap begin to open up as they separated, so I let off the gas to make sure the gap would be wide enough. The driver behind me decided that his throttle's only setting was wide open, and pushed me right into one of the spinning cars.

Still got a positive iRating for the event, but it wasn't as good as it should have been.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

poshphil posted:

I've just started racing again after about 18 months out, I'm assuming they've changed the models a bit since then? I ask because I cannot get anywhere near some of my old times and comparing them to 2014 times would put me in the top 10 at some tracks (in the MX5).

The tyre models have changed a lot in the past 18 months and the weather now changes each week. The weather can have a huge effect on times.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

CaseFace McGee posted:

After a week, I finally got caught up in a big Rookie crash. Rookie 1 wrecked Rookie 2 on the backstretch of Charlotte, I saw a great gap begin to open up as they separated, so I let off the gas to make sure the gap would be wide enough. The driver behind me decided that his throttle's only setting was wide open, and pushed me right into one of the spinning cars.

Exactly why everyone needs to :frogout: of Rookie class ASAP.

Can't wait for Road To Indy tonight!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Clear evidence of wall hacking in iracing. :v:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Reported for cheating :byewhore:

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
I saw that in the replay of my 120 Minutes of Sebring race a few months back in the Ford GT. It's not limited to Sebring though, I've seen that happen at a few other tracks.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Well that was disappointing. I literally yawned myself into the wall. I'll have to check them out, but I suspect Richmond and Iowa will both be bricked yellow-line follow-the-leader races too. Bleh.

e: way to show up, Shibby :argh:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Well that was disappointing. I literally yawned myself into the wall. I'll have to check them out, but I suspect Richmond and Iowa will both be bricked yellow-line follow-the-leader races too. Bleh.

e: way to show up, Shibby :argh:

You have no idea how mad I was when I fell asleep last night and woke up at 10:30 when my alarm was supposed to go off at 9:30 :arghfist::bang:

At least it was a snoozer, which is what happens after sex amirite :smugspike:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Indycar is at Michigan this week. That track is one of the few in the Fixed series where you can legitimately run the outside line and pass cars.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

KingShibby posted:

I was thinking $50 for the track itself. I'm sure a lot of other people would pay that much for Le Mans. I mean it's almost 8.5mi long, I'm sure it would cost iRacing a lot compared to other tracks.

Also please everyone with other goons on your iRacing friend list, make sure you enable text chat so that we can collaborate and better plan events. It also helps you find spotters and observers to help you get better.

IRC is the most effective way to find spotting nerds. #racinggoons on irc.synIRC.net

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

With the new SM build, I can actually drive Suzuka without crashing every other lap!

KingShibby posted:

You have no idea how mad I was when I fell asleep last night and woke up at 10:30 when my alarm was supposed to go off at 9:30 :arghfist::bang:

At least it was a snoozer, which is what happens after sex amirite :smugspike:

You'll be sorry when I'm a famous pretend race car driver and you're just having sex all the time :colbert:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

You'll be sorry when I'm a famous pretend race car driver and you're just having sex all the time :colbert:

Bahaha I'm married, I don't have sex all the time :smith:

Just launching my first Suzuka session since the new build

Edit: Suzuka is so much more fun with the new build!

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 18, 2014

texasmed
May 27, 2004
It's really disheartening to see that there's basically a 90/10 split between Fixed and Open oval racing participation. I don't remember fixed series being as prevalent a year ago.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

texasmed posted:

It's really disheartening to see that there's basically a 90/10 split between Fixed and Open oval racing participation. I don't remember fixed series being as prevalent a year ago.

There's always been a massive disproportion between fixed and open. Its why several series are on life support.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

People like easy. It's why there are people voting for Daytona to be the oval for the next season of SM. I'm surprised at how much of that there is considering this is supposed to be a *hardcore simulation*, but whatever. iRacing should just set the drat schedule to be as close as possible to the real life series' schedule and be done with it.

Suzuka's been great this week; I won my first two races and was trying to pass for the lead into the chicane on the last lap when we touched really slightly and ended up in the gravel trap so I had to settle for 2nd. Amazing how planted the car feels though, I'm trying to decide if it's because I've got a few seasons experience now, or NTMv5 really agrees with my driving style, or because some of the fastest guys keep sharing setups every week. It's hard to figure right now with everyone being on different numbers of weeks, but I think I've got an outside shot at top 10 overall which would be all woo-hoo and poo poo.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I made another paintjob and I want to brag about it. I spent more time in Photoshop and on Google than I did playing iRacing this week :downs:.

Could use more filling in decals on the fenders but I'm ready to quit for now. I tried to just get it "general 1987" because finding source images that match decals seems impossible. I think the team that built the cars just put the decals in random places for every race.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 22, 2014

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nice paint!

Last night, thanks to Simble, who wrecked 2nd/3rd and himself ( :hfive: ), along with two drivers more concerned with racing each other than working together, I won my second ever race. Michigan International Speedway is great fun with the Indycar and everyone should try a race there before the week ends.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

KingShibby posted:

The big problem with LeMans I imagine is how much of it is public road. You'd have to work round the few events that close it in order to scan them and I'm not sure there's enough of those in a year which means several trips and even more monnies.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bentai posted:

Nice paint!

Last night, thanks to Simble, who wrecked 2nd/3rd and himself ( :hfive: ), along with two drivers more concerned with racing each other than working together, I won my second ever race. Michigan International Speedway is great fun with the Indycar and everyone should try a race there before the week ends.

Gotta race with non retards who give room and let you draft.
1&2 the cars will push up about a lane gotta give room so you don't get hit especially early on giving a position.

I had a good race the other day but the guy 2 cars ahead was pissing me off. He'd drop low for 1 lap so I could get just by the guy in front then he'd run up top.. If he would have picked a lane we could have caught up with the main pack instead I was stuck, if I drafted the guy in front of me I had to shoot low and then I'd have to let up for the guy 2 spots ahead because there wasn't room.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Would there be any interest in an old bastards test tonight at barber? I would probably set it up around 8 central (so a half hour before the league server usually goes up).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just turned off auto renew. I like iRacing but with summer here I just can't be arsed to dedicate that much time to it. Right now I can barely put in the practice needed to keep myself from being a major liability on the track, let alone compete. I'll most likely renew when it gets cold enough that you can die just from being outside and I actually want to be indoors putting effort in to it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

2014 iRacing.com Indy 500 #2

The rescheduled iRacing Indy 500 will have two time slots – Friday at 8pm Eastern / (00:00 GMT Saturday) and Saturday 2pm Eastern / (18:00 GMT Saturday).

Event Date and Time: Friday July 18th 8PM ET US (00:00 GMT Saturday) AND Saturday July 19th 2PM ET US (18:00 GMT Saturday)
Pro - C Oval license holders and D – Rookie Oval license holders will share the same start time on Friday and Saturday

Special Note: While we are confident we have addressed the issue that caused our web problems during the initial running of the 2014 Indy 500 we will still be using this event as a test. All participants – anyone who registers for any of the races – will receive the iTested award. The award is a manual process so it will not show up in your account until sometime during the following week. If we encounter significant issues during the Friday night races we will cancel Saturday’s races and not reschedule until issues are resolved.
Free cheevos!

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Whoa I forgot what the forums looked like.

So I was doing a SM race at Sonoma today. I hadn't qualified yet, so I started 5th of 11, picked the first two off pretty quickly and then got caught behind 2nd. The leader was slowly pulling away from us...when the 4th and 5th place cars crashed at the start of the drag strip, flipped up the hill and over the wall, and took out the leader in the esses. I should've saved the replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Lord Crapulus posted:

Whoa I forgot what the forums looked like.

So I was doing a SM race at Sonoma today. I hadn't qualified yet, so I started 5th of 11, picked the first two off pretty quickly and then got caught behind 2nd. The leader was slowly pulling away from us...when the 4th and 5th place cars crashed at the start of the drag strip, flipped up the hill and over the wall, and took out the leader in the esses. I should've saved the replay.

Holy poo poo.

I'm out of Rookies now :toot: One win so far, quite a few 2nd place finishes and a couple poles.

I'm starting to get the hang of the iRacing physics, but it seems like there should be more time available to gain. For kicks, here's my fastest time trial of the current Rookie Miata track. Any obvious things I could be doing better?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6Mktdzaac

• Locked thread