Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Action Tortoise posted:

Do NPC phantoms heal if I use Estus? I know players heal but can I keep an NPC alive for a little longer for some fights?

I believe I tried to heal Solaire a couple of times and it did not work, but I might be mistaken (fights were somewhat hectic).

vThe better answer.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

NPC phantoms do not heal from player Estus use. I'm unsure when it comes to area healing spells in dark souls 1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm pretty sure NPC phantoms have either a poo poo ton of defense or HP compared to human phantoms, so you shouldn't really have to worry about keeping them alive as long as you're keeping a good pace for the fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In Dark Souls 2 they do, but in Dark Souls not so much. They have more than you but not much and can very easily die, especially in fights like the Gargoyles or the Gaping Dragon where you have a tail to cut off.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Manatee Cannon posted:

In Dark Souls 2 they do, but in Dark Souls not so much. They have more than you but not much and can very easily die, especially in fights like the Gargoyles or the Gaping Dragon where you have a tail to cut off.

From what I've seen Solaire can hold his own with the gargoyles and the first part of O & S. Tarkus was made for the golem fight and Beatrice is alright with taking shots at MB. Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, and Manus are way too much for the phantoms and then you have to deal with their inflated health.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58bNVJ8mFY

Slowbeef does a little bit of NG+ lore catch-up in his final Dark Souls video after people pointed out he missed a lot of stuff regarding Quelaag's sister and accidentally killing Eingyi during his first run.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think that if I get the chance to write in wet sidewalk cement, I'm going to put "Praise the sun." Optionally, "Illusory Wall" if applicable or "Try Rolling"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

From what I've seen Solaire can hold his own with the gargoyles and the first part of O & S. Tarkus was made for the golem fight and Beatrice is alright with taking shots at MB. Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, and Manus are way too much for the phantoms and then you have to deal with their inflated health.

Solaire will die most of the time against the Gargoyles if you're gunning for the tails. Tarkus has the advantage of having incredible physical defense from his armor but the Iron Golem can easily knock/throw him out of the arena. I've actually never summoned Beatrice but considering how pathetic the Moonlight Butterfly is it's not surprising she's good at it.

Would Manus get extra health? His summon is during the fight, not before it so the game wouldn't have the chance to account for it right?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Beatrice slaughters that poor butterfly. On top of it being inherently squishy, she does crazy high damage to it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Everything does crazy high damage to it, when I killed it last week I was doing damage in the low 30s with an unupgraded bow at 14 DEX and it was taking about as much damage off the lifebar as I was doing to Artorias with a +5 Lightning Zweihander. It just doesn't have any health.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cyberventurer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58bNVJ8mFY

Slowbeef does a little bit of NG+ lore catch-up in his final Dark Souls video after people pointed out he missed a lot of stuff regarding Quelaag's sister and accidentally killing Eingyi during his first run.

I'll admit it, it was hard work, but seeing her story always makes me tear up a little bit and I am super glad slowbeef got to see it and save Solaire.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Would Manus get extra health? His summon is during the fight, not before it so the game wouldn't have the chance to account for it right?

I'm not sure about Manus. He's probably the same amount of health but his attack pattern gets more unpredictable when he's splitting his attention between you and Sif. Same for Quelaag.

I think it's a nice touch that the second time you can team up with Beatrice is during the Four Kings fight.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why can't I put down white soapstone in Demon Ruins?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KoRMaK posted:

Why can't I put down white soapstone in Demon Ruins?

Where are you trying to put it down?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Where are you trying to put it down?
Near the first bonfire in that area.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Near the first bonfire in that area.

The only valid co-op areas in Demon Ruins are the bridge right outside Ceaseless's gate, and the entire area between the first Capra Demon and the Firesage. The hill with the chaos servants and the lava fields are disabled.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When should I use the shortcut to Lost Izalith from the Chaos Servant covenant so that Solaire survives?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're trying to save Solaire from the sunlight maggots then use it and kill all the bugs before entering Lost Izalith. They have to all be dead before you've done the area transition, the last one will drop the hat. There's like nine of them I think? If you don't care about saving him then it doesn't actually matter and you never even need to go that way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You can go without using the shortcut, but doing so means you have to get through the entirety of Lost Izalith without resting at a single bonfire or dying, as Solaire's flag will be triggered at the loading screen.

But yes, do it as soon as possible, just don't fight any bosses down there after Ceaseless Discharge.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're trying to save Solaire from the sunlight maggots then use it and kill all the bugs before entering Lost Izalith. They have to all be dead before you've done the area transition, the last one will drop the hat. There's like nine of them I think? If you don't care about saving him then it doesn't actually matter and you never even need to go that way.

You only need to kill the red-eyed one.

I saved him ng+ but I couldn't save Rhea (again) and I dunno what the hell happened to Siegmeyer this time.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Siegmeyer is a dunderhead, and I can never keep track of his stupid triggers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I finished Seigmeyer and Solaire's quests but forgot all about Rhea after the Tomb of Giants in this run.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Outside Sen's -> Sen's near boulder trap -> Anor Londo, outside the room with three or so Silver Knights -> Firelink -> Lost Izalith -> Ash Lake, if I'm not mistaken.

And Rhea is just purposefully obtuse.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bogart posted:

Outside Sen's -> Sen's near boulder trap -> Anor Londo, outside the room with three or so Silver Knights -> Firelink -> Lost Izalith -> Ash Lake, if I'm not mistaken.

And Rhea is just purposefully obtuse.

There's some things you have to do to be sure he survives, like in Lost Izalith you have to answer his question correctly and then make sure he survives his fight in the poison pit with at least 50% health. If not he gives you a ring and the quest ends, or else he dies and again the quest ends. I think you need to save Seiglinde in the Duke's Archives as well and talk to her at the proper times in Firelink, or else she won't show up in Ashe Lake to give you your slab.

I don't think you ever have to talk to him in Sen's near the boulder trap. I don't remember him even showing up there, but I could be mistaken.

edit: and in Lost Izalith you can't just kill all the monsters before talking to him or else you gently caress it all up. You can kill all but one and it'll be fine though.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 13, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
You don't have to talk to Seigmeyer inside Sen's Fortress, just outside. You also left out the part between Firelink and Lost Izalith where you have to go down into Blighttown and give him purple moss.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Siegmeyer is a dunderhead, and I can never keep track of his stupid triggers.

Siegmeyer is adorable! He's basically my mascot and easily my favourite character to run into.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are the moonlight butterflies in the Crystal Caves worth fighting? They're non-aggro and I hate that place anyway, so I've never bothered provoking them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Siegmeyer is adorable! He's basically my mascot and easily my favourite character to run into.

man certainly knows how to sell that helmet

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

sector_corrector posted:

Are the moonlight butterflies in the Crystal Caves worth fighting? They're non-aggro and I hate that place anyway, so I've never bothered provoking them.

An emphatic no. AFAIK they don't even drop anything, and if you're pure melee it is impossible to kill them unless you can 1-2 shot them because they never ever land once aggroed.

Which makes it really funny when clueless streamers get freaked out by them and repeatedly get themselves killed fighting them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ :v: Alright! Admittedly, I haven't actually done it myself in a while. I just like smacking bad things with my sword more than storylines. Yeah, you'd need to free Sieglinde, talk to her in Firelink, and get Siegmieyer his moss.

sector_corrector posted:

Not really! They drop 400 souls and Blue Titanite Chunks and Slabs, so unless you really want to modify your weapons with Magic or Enchant, you can just skip em.

vv: I'd say getting the Occult Club in Havel's hidden cache is a good time to do the Combs. Demodify it down into a Divine Club, and skeletons won't get back up.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 13, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

When is the time to go into the Catacombs? I'm currently in Anor Lando, that lady and her knights disappeared (presumably on their quest) and one of them, the guy that's already there when the game starts, returned with some unfortunate tales to tell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Whenever you want, you can complete the Catacombs at any point. You just can't complete the area afterward (Tomb of Giants) until you get the lordvessel for completing Anor Londo.

A weapon that deals faith damage or some miracles help out there but aren't required.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double nine posted:

When is the time to go into the Catacombs? I'm currently in Anor Lando, that lady and her knights disappeared (presumably on their quest) and one of them, the guy that's already there when the game starts, returned with some unfortunate tales to tell.

I find that a +7 or +8 weapon really helps with the enemies in that part. The boss is sort of a chump though, and you could probably beat him with a starter weapon and a little finesse if you wanted. Otherwise, you can tackle that at any point you'd like. A good litmus test is to take on the Skeletons in Firelink and see how quickly you can put them down. If it's within 2 or 3 hits, I'd say go for it. The reward is very, very worthwhile.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

double nine posted:

My first playthrough I did it right after Anor Londo, but I'd say any time after Blighttown is reasonable.

Having a divine weapon helps (IIRC the silver knight weapons from Anor Londo count) but it's really not required as long as you can take down the normal-sized skeletons fast enough that you don't get swarmed.

There's only one area with enemies more threatening than the skeletons in the Firelink graveyard, and the boss is a joke.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

When is the time to go into the Catacombs?

As soon as you start the game. :v:

In all honesty, the only real time you need to do it would be right after Anor Londo or after you've gotten a divine weapon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Eldred posted:

My first playthrough I did it right after Anor Londo, but I'd say any time after Blighttown is reasonable.

Having a divine weapon helps (IIRC the silver knight weapons from Anor Londo count) but it's really not required as long as you can take down the normal-sized skeletons fast enough that you don't get swarmed.

There's only one area with enemies more threatening than the skeletons in the Firelink graveyard, and the boss is a joke.

I think the silver knight spears can deal divine damage, but not the swords.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Astora's Straight Sword does. A mimic in Anor Londo will drop an Occult Club, which is the strongest thing you'll find at base strength if you're not looking to waste titanite on a faith weapon.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
This tripped me up for a while but you also have to turn the boulder trap at least once in Sen's Fortress or Siegmeyer will never advance to Anor Londo. After the first couple of times, I would bypass that part by tricking the serpent man into breaking the wall holding Logan, then lightening my equip weight and just dashing up the tunnel to the trap and ignoring it. Siegmeyer would still be stuck at the fortress until I actually went back and changed the boulder trap's direction at least once, since he tells you he's too fat to make it up there on his own.

It makes sense in hindsight but if you're skipping that bit, it's easy to get confused why he won't progress.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I just got to demon ruins. Should I go tithe fortress thing that gets opened when you ring the bell before continuing in the ruins? Also, those fuckig Taurus demons are really hard, the ones that get revealed when you defeat ceaseless discharge. Ceaseless was also a very easy fight, I got him to jump at me near the white fog gate and mashed his hand twice and he fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

I just got to demon ruins. Should I go tithe fortress thing that gets opened when you ring the bell before continuing in the ruins? Also, those fuckig Taurus demons are really hard, the ones that get revealed when you defeat ceaseless discharge. Ceaseless was also a very easy fight, I got him to jump at me near the white fog gate and mashed his hand twice and he fell.

Go back to the fortress. You can continue a bit further into the ruins but you have to go through the fortress and the area following it to finish the game and complete the path the ruins take you.

• Locked thread