Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to switch? Electrical engineering is a pretty good field, and probably interesting as well, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Doghouse posted:

Sorry I didn't specify - I'm doing an online 2 year masters, and have one year left. So I guess I'm panicking a bit because I don't have the luxury of having a few years to land an internship, and all the summer internship listings for this year seem to be drying up. But yeah I know i just need practice, I was just looking for specific methods that work. Thanks for all the input.

My method for getting an internship when I was in a similar situation was basically spray and pray. Send an application or email with resume and maybe a cover letter to every single company in your area even if they don't seem to be looking for interns or no longer have listings up. If you can find emails for specific engineering managers instead of recruiting types send it to them. Especially this late in the season you're totally playing a numbers game and don't have the option to be picky or worry about annoying people or get discouraged by constant rejections. You've gotta find that one group that had an intern cancel or would take an intern but hadn't been actively looking and that takes time and a wide search. I think I sent out somewhere north of 50 emails and applications and managed to get a hit that worked out.

As far as interviewing methods go, its the same as any other programming interview, read the OP, read Cracking the Coding interview, bone up on the usual coding interview algorithms and data structures, spend a massive amount of time practicing til they're second nature. If you do get a hit this late you aren't going to want to waste it.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Chin up D-Tron, the company I work for just hired an MS EE for an entry level dev position. It's definitely do-able.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Don't forget that non tech firms also hire developers and interns. Manufacturers, Banks, and Utility companies all use developers.

It is also pretty late to be looking for a summer internship, I would be looking at internships for fall at this point. Firms with a steady internship program normally have their interns lined up 1-3 months in advance.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Doghouse posted:

I'm having a hard time getting an internship. I've had three interviews but no dice. I think it has to do with the technical stuff in the interview. I've only been in school for about a year, and I've learned a lot, but I think I have gotten used to doing assignments "open book" and since it's online, I don't really talk to peers that much. As such, I can do the programming assignments well and am getting good grades. But if interviewers ask me to explain a concept or to code on the whiteboard, I sometimes flub it - I'll describe something in an unclear way or blank on basic syntax. Does anyone have any advice on how to get better at these things? Should i just find problems and try coding them on a piece of paper?
Yes: practice more. Spend some time coding without an IDE and with minimal internet usage. Also spend some time coding on a whiteboard or piece of paper. You can also ask one of the mentor goons in the OP for a practice interview.

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
I know this has been asked a lot in this (probably has anyway) but does anyone have some recent programming interview test questions they know off the top of their heads? I've got an interview Tuesday and I'm looking for insight on what to expect. It's a games company if that helps.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'd recommend asking in the Game Jobs megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

If you havent signed look into a competent employment lawyer. They may be able to get you out of the 3 month period.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could but also I'd rather be able to get a reference from them in future.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I've posted in this thread for probably years looking to get into a developer role coming from the finance industry. I accepted a job offer today for a position that's fairly simple front end web development and it pays surprisingly well. It's not ideal because the development is based on a back end built in house that looks like a terrible mess, but the important part is that I got my foot in the door for a career in software dev. I'm pretty happy and just wanted to share that there are opportunities to get started even without a CS degree or professional dev experience.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker

Doghouse posted:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to switch? Electrical engineering is a pretty good field, and probably interesting as well, no?

I agree that electrical engineering is an interesting field, I did get a Master's in it after all! More specifically I am looking to get out of Power engineering, and the two paths I am considering are an EE job more in line with what I studied (which I know how to do) or preferably a software development job (which I'm less sure how to do so looking for some goon wisdom). The whole software idea has come from talking with my friends in the field, seems like it is right up my alley and something I would really enjoy doing. If I could get a do-over I think I would get a CS degree instead. I also like the options for flexible schedules and telecommuting that are possible in the software industry (gently caress commuting in LA).

Tres Burritos posted:

Chin up D-Tron, the company I work for just hired an MS EE for an entry level dev position. It's definitely do-able.

Thanks - I do have an EE friend who took pretty much the exact same coursework as me and currently works as a web dev, so I know it can be done! His company does have a training program though and he said they hired him "to see if they could turn a random engineer into a web developer." Not betting I'll have the same luck so I reckon the best thing to do is take some classes to gain some programming knowledge. Just not sure if that will be enough or if it will be necessary to get a full-blown degree.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Hi folks. I'm in the UK and doing a computer science degree through the open university. At the moment i'm focusing on java and teaching myself a little ruby. I also spent 90 hours in the Shadowrun Returns editior but gave up when it came to lighting. I'm slightly concerned because i'm 28 now and due to finish the degree when i'm 31. Would employers consider entering into the field this late a negative?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

The Heckler posted:

Hi folks. I'm in the UK and doing a computer science degree through the open university. At the moment i'm focusing on java and teaching myself a little ruby. I also spent 90 hours in the Shadowrun Returns editior but gave up when it came to lighting. I'm slightly concerned because i'm 28 now and due to finish the degree when i'm 31. Would employers consider entering into the field this late a negative?

All they care about is whether you can program.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

hayden. posted:

I've posted in this thread for probably years looking to get into a developer role coming from the finance industry. I accepted a job offer today for a position that's fairly simple front end web development and it pays surprisingly well. It's not ideal because the development is based on a back end built in house that looks like a terrible mess, but the important part is that I got my foot in the door for a career in software dev. I'm pretty happy and just wanted to share that there are opportunities to get started even without a CS degree or professional dev experience.
Congrats! :)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bloomberg seem to be more desperate on recruiting than normal, from what I hear quite a number of their developers upped and left together to a certain unnamed competitor :lol:

Bloomberg recruiter posted:

The Trading Systems Group at Bloomberg is hosting an exclusive hiring event the week of June 23rd. They are seeking innovative Software Engineers, Team Leads and Architects with an aptitude for low latency, high frequency systems to deliver the next generation of smart trading systems.

Bloomberg’s Trading Solutions are used by 1,200 institutions across 80 countries, and is Bloomberg’s main source of non-terminal revenue. They are expanding quickly and new members can expect to work in small, dynamic teams where they can make a big impact right off the bat.

The Senior Technology Managers of Trading Systems are going to interview up to 10 invited candidates for multiple positions. This interview session is a streamlined version of their normal interview process. They will make their offer/no-offer decision based on the single interview within 24 hours.
These full time positions will be located in New York. The compensation packages for these positions have been quite amazing. On average, we've gotten candidates a 20% increase in compensation. Plus, their bonuses are guaranteed.
Meh, waiting on one more Google interview thumbs up, but some how I have to attract a team other than SRE.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 12, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

Bloomberg seem to be more desperate on recruiting than normal, from what I hear quite a number of their developers upped and left together to a certain unnamed competitor :lol:

I had a terrible recruiting experience with Bloomberg last year. I'd hate to see what they're like when they're desperate.

[edit]
Recruiter contacted me on SO Careers and said he had a senior dev/junior architect role in .NET languages for me. I said "Great!" and set up an appointment. The guy called me 30 minutes late and didn't apologize or offer an explanation. After talking to him for a few seconds, it was clear that he hadn't actually read my resume and didn't have a role in mind for me. The call ended with him sending me an email with some jobs I could apply to on their site. The email contained a bunch of links to junior and mid-level Ruby, Java, and C++ jobs. I responded and let him know that I wasn't interested in applying for any of those jobs or working for Bloomberg at all based on how the recruiting was going.

He emailed me a few days later to ask if I'd applied for those awesome jobs he sent. On the plus side, I got to send him a smug, bitchy email about professionalism.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 12, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tunga posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could but also I'd rather be able to get a reference from them in future.

What's the chance that they're still around when you need it? What's the number of leads that you have that have already left that can give you the recommendation instead?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Heckler posted:

Anecdotal, but a friend who graduated at 30 was swimming in job offers way before he graduated. I'd assume that getting a freshly graduated junior developer at 30 would be preferable to getting him at just over 20, since people in their 30s generally are way more reliable than people in their 20s.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Geisladisk posted:

Anecdotal, but a friend who graduated at 30 was swimming in job offers way before he graduated. I'd assume that getting a freshly graduated junior developer at 30 would be preferable to getting him at just over 20, since people in their 30s generally are way more reliable than people in their 20s.

As a counterpoint to that, there was a pretty strong consensus in the thread a couple of pages ago that someone's 8 month gap in employment was a big red flag.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Newf posted:

As a counterpoint to that, there was a pretty strong consensus in the thread a couple of pages ago that someone's 8 month gap in employment was a big red flag.
I don't think doing a degree counts as a gap in employment.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
Sure, but people are a lot more likely to have some unaccountable period of time at thirty than at twenty.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Newf posted:

Sure, but people are a lot more likely to have some unaccountable period of time at thirty than at twenty.

That's a mighty big assumption. And even if it's true, so what? At 30, there's over a decade of working that such a gap could fall under and would likely be several years ago and not worth much at all.

The cat's also completing a degree. This matters more.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Thanks alot for your advice. I've been consistently employed for the last ten years. I work full time as a production manager for an electronics company and do OU part time, although i actually did the first year full time on top of work which left me a hollow shell of a man. Naturally the first day i had a break from study my friend asked me to "make a website with your uni stuff"...

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I have a question regarding offer letters. If a company gets bought before you start, but you've already signed the offer letter stating that you would start on a certain date, is it still binding?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

unpurposed posted:

I have a question regarding offer letters. If a company gets bought before you start, but you've already signed the offer letter stating that you would start on a certain date, is it still binding?

In the United States? You can quit whenever you want. What aspect of it would be binding?

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
He might mean on their part.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

unpurposed posted:

Neither party has any obligation. Offer letters are usually given before stuff like background checks, drug screens, etc. They wouldn't give offer letters before these checks if it was binding in any way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At-will employment goes both ways. You can quit whenever you want, they can fire you whenever you want, they can rescind the offer if they want, and you can walk away from it if you want. There may be ill will from the other party if one of you walks away at the signed-offer stage, but nobody owes anyone anything.

That having been said, unless they tell you they're rescinding the offer, you should assume you still have a job.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 14, 2014

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I just had a phone interview where the hiring manager said it wasn't a good fit after a total of 1 technical question had been asked.

*a++ = *b++;

I said that the dereferenced values of a and b were incremented by 1 instead of the pointer addresses themselves.

Is that such an outrageous mistake that I instantly became not worth talking to? To me, it seems like a syntax quirk that I've simply never bumped into because my own coding style is different. Oh well.

This generated an amount of discussion a while back so I thought I'd share that I believe I just stumbled upon the source for the question itself.

From a 2004 Joel Spolski article (emphasis mine):

quote:

Learn C Before Graduating

Part two: C. Notice I didn't say C++. Although C is becoming increasingly rare, it is still the lingua franca of working programmers. It is the language they use to communicate with one another, and, more importantly, it is much closer to the machine than "modern" languages that you'll be taught in college like ML, Java, Python, or whatever trendy junk they teach these days. You need to spend at least a semester getting close to the machine, or you'll never be able to create efficient code in higher level languages. You'll never be able to work on compilers and operating systems, which are some of the best programming jobs around. You'll never be trusted to create architectures for large-scale projects. I don't care how much you know about continuations and closures and exception handling; if you can't explain why while(*s++ = *t++); copies a string, or if that isn't the most natural thing in the world to you, well, you're programming based on superstition, as far as I'm concerned: a medical doctor who doesn't know basic anatomy, passing out prescriptions based on what the pharma sales babe said would work.

Haha.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Newf posted:

This generated an amount of discussion a while back so I thought I'd share that I believe I just stumbled upon the source for the question itself.

From a 2004 Joel Spolski article (emphasis mine):

Haha.

Maybe. But this is just the canonical implementation of strcpy, and in general "implement x from the standard library" is a pretty common type of interview question. I'd recommend learning as much as possible about your language's core libraries, both to interview better and to be a better programmer in general. Unfortunately glibc and libstdc++ are very rough reading, but there are some more straightforward implementations out there.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Joel isn't exactly a source of gospel.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I am almost certain that that's a joke, since ML is one of the "'modern' languages" that he sneers at and it's only a year younger than C.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

Joel isn't exactly a source of gospel.

Yes but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Knowing C as a lingua Franca really shouldn't be objectionable despite what blowhard says it.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Welp, it looks like I got an offer for an internship! I'm really excited.

He sent me an email saying they were offering me the position, with a few details and wanting to know when I could start. That was late thursday afternoon. It said when they heard back from me, they would send an official offer letter. I emailed back that night in the affirmative and I haven't heard back yet.

How long should it take for them to send it? Are they going to email it to me, or send it by snail mail? Should I be doing anything else right now? This is all new to me.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Doghouse posted:

He sent me an email saying they were offering me the position, with a few details and wanting to know when I could start. That was late thursday afternoon. It said when they heard back from me, they would send an official offer letter. I emailed back that night in the affirmative and I haven't heard back yet.

How long should it take for them to send it? Are they going to email it to me, or send it by snail mail? Should I be doing anything else right now? This is all new to me.

If you haven't heard back by mid-week, just send a quick followup. Offer letters usually go through an HR/legal department and can take some time to get drafted.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 16, 2014

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Doghouse posted:

For Google, I was sent and signed my offer letter electronically, exactly nine days after I was told informally that they had been approved to extend me an offer. All I did in the meantime was chat a bit with my recruiter about the details of my compensation and so on. Congrats! You were looking for a last minute summer placement, right? How soon do you start?

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Can someone look over my resume and tell me what obvious glaring errors are on there? I'm looking to get a simple customer support job with DigitalOcean working remotely from Austin. I've removed names and numbers because my last name is really goofy and unique, but the relevant information is there.

Primarily, I'm not sure if the praise that my project received from various culture sites is worth keeping. On one hand, I'm super proud of the site, but on the other hand, it doesn't necessarily lend credibility to it. Or does it? I don't know.

I'm also unsure if my explanation for why I don't have a bachelor's degree needs more explanation or not.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

Porktrack.com: a website that, when supplied with a user’s birthdate, calculates their date of conception
This gave me a good chuckle, but I dunno if that's the kind of thing you want on a resume that might be screened by humorless HR drones.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

a slime posted:

For Google, I was sent and signed my offer letter electronically, exactly nine days after I was told informally that they had been approved to extend me an offer. All I did in the meantime was chat a bit with my recruiter about the details of my compensation and so on. Congrats! You were looking for a last minute summer placement, right? How soon do you start?

Looks like I posted prematurely again, they just sent it. Thanks! Yes, I was looking for a last minute summer placement. They want me to start next week.

As I am currently in a summer semester, I'm going to ask if I can work less than 40 hours a week; even 35 would help me. Is there a better way to do this than just saying that I'm in school full time and it would help to be able to balance both?

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Cicero posted:

This gave me a good chuckle, but I dunno if that's the kind of thing you want on a resume that might be screened by humorless HR drones.

I put the site on there because although it's purpose is ridiculous, it did involve actual use of technologies relevant to the position. I mean, I built the whole thing on the DigitalOcean platform. It's also the most major project I've been a part of, much to my chagrin. A bunch of local developers that I talked to said it shouldn't be an issue because "this is Austin, man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Cicero posted:

Maybe I'm just getting jaded and picky as I grow older but frankly I wouldn't want to work for a company that would exclude me based on something so trivial.