Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ProfessorProf posted:

Chemist can carry you through literally every boss fight, too, but it takes a little effort.

Yeah, if you don't already know this is not an exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, if you don't already know this is not an exaggeration.

Also note that this is sub-optimally done because Succubus's Kiss is way better at murdering Omega after a few Turtle Soups than Dark Matter is. :eng101:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I ran with a Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Samurai combo last year, and I think that's probably the best party if you don't want to spend any time grinding. You have some damage output issues in the part of the game from Moore Forest through the Pyramid, but other than that you can steamroll over almost everything.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I've got a serious FFV itch to scratch. Can't wait for Monday. :allears:

Is RK doing the thing again where the Fiesta opens early if the two streaming dudes finish early, or is it just straight-up midnight June 16?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

dis astranagant posted:

Chemist, Blue Mage, Summoner, probably Black Mage. Maybe Mystic Knight and Archer.

Yeaaaah, my first ever FJF run was Black Mage/Summoner/Archer/Chemist...

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice
Just added 5 more berserkers. I'm doing random so maybe I've just screwed myself into getting 3, who knows!

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
So I'm too excited about this and I want to charge through my unfinished second run from last year. I'm at Barrier Tower with Knight/White Mage/Bard/Summoner. It seems like nothing's gonna really stop me, but I'm wondering what I can do with this team to speed up. Nothing can really kill me, but it's taking forever to fight randoms. Should I just start running? I sure don't care about the brave blade at this point, I just want to try to finish this run before the next one starts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

So I'm too excited about this and I want to charge through my unfinished second run from last year. I'm at Barrier Tower with Knight/White Mage/Bard/Summoner. It seems like nothing's gonna really stop me, but I'm wondering what I can do with this team to speed up. Nothing can really kill me, but it's taking forever to fight randoms. Should I just start running? I sure don't care about the brave blade at this point, I just want to try to finish this run before the next one starts.

You have !Summon. Put Air Lancets on people, lean on your Syldra button, and brutalize literally anything that looks at you funny.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
No Slydra yet, if he's at the barrier tower. I think Titan is still pretty good there, especially if you wear some Gaia Gear. Have your Knight two-hand if they're not already; who cares about damage, you have White Mage. Have your Bard confusing or stopping everything so they don't waste your time by hitting your party.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

No Slydra yet, if he's at the barrier tower.

:downs:

In my defense I misread that as Fork Tower.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

No Slydra yet, if he's at the barrier tower. I think Titan is still pretty good there, especially if you wear some Gaia Gear. Have your Knight two-hand if they're not already; who cares about damage, you have White Mage. Have your Bard confusing or stopping everything so they don't waste your time by hitting your party.

Oh my god does gaia gear boost earth? Fuckin rad. I did forget about doublehand, especially against atomos I certainly don't need physical evade. I get that white mage makes me functionally invincible but I'm trying to figure out tricks to speed through otherwise really slow parts of the game for me, parts like the entirety of world 2

Kyrosiris posted:

You have !Summon. Put Air Lancets on people, lean on your Syldra button, and brutalize literally anything that looks at you funny.

I am looking forward to hitting this particular slope and just coasting to the end though. Just have to crawl a little ways more.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Oh my god does gaia gear boost earth? Fuckin rad.

Sure does. Gaia Gear Titan is the second gear of the !Summon motorcycle, whereas Bolt Rod Ramuh is first gear and Air Lancet Syldra is third gear. (Elemental Power Leviathan is the rare fourth gear that few people get the RPM to use) :iiaca:

Also sorry for misreading your post.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 13, 2014

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
That is a fantastic analogy, sir.:tipshat:

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Sure does. Gaia Gear Titan is the second gear of the !Summon motorcycle, whereas Bolt Rod Ramuh is first gear and Air Lancer Syldra is third gear. (Elemental Power Leviathan is the rare fourth gear that few people get the RPM to use) :iiaca:

Also sorry for misreading your post.

Naw, I didn't even know Syldra was wind until last year's fiesta, that's Protip One for Summoners. Also it took me two party wipes to remember what to do with Atomos so all bets are off :downs:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Last year I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Chemist for my second run. I can't think of a better team, except maybe a Summoner in place of the MK. My completion time was about 10 hours faster than my first run of Black Mage, MK, Ranger, Dancer.

Last year I got Blue Mage, Summoner, Ranger, Chemist and I'd take the Ranger over Ninja any day, that run was completely disgusting. I honestly can't imagine one that can break the game any more than I did.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Twin lance + chicken knife ninja with !summon is the best of all worlds. Summoner with !throw is pretty amazing, as well. Thrown scrolls are stronger than Titan, boostable earlier and give you 3 more elements to play with.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 14, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Twin lance + chicken knife ninja with !summon is the best of all worlds. Summoner with !throw is pretty amazing, as well. Thrown scrolls are stronger than Titan, boostable earlier and give you 3 more elements to play with.

Hm, good point. I was mostly using Xfight with the chicken knife and otherwise manipulating levels for instant kills (which is possible with any combination of Blue/Chemist/X/X)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fenrir posted:

I honestly can't imagine one that can break the game any more than I did.

Sub the Ranger for Bard. :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So Bahamut is the legendary 5th gear that most automatics can only dream that one day they may possess?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Gologle posted:

So Bahamut is the legendary 5th gear that most automatics can only dream that one day they may possess?

Bahamut would be the automatic in this analogy, being easy to use without dealing with the clutch (elemental boosting gear) but ultimately not as good. :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

Nah Bahamut is an automatic. It can't good very fast because you can't boost, it but it works for most cases. And it is a lot more expensive. If you got the funds bahamut is lets you cruise at 80 mph very easily without having to use any mechanical information.

Edit: fucken beaten :argh:

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 14, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

blakelmenakle posted:

Bahamut would be the automatic in this analogy, being easy to use without dealing with the clutch (elemental boosting gear) but ultimately not as good. :v:

:golfclap:

This analogy went better than I ever could've dreamed.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I just want this damned thing to start. I'm waiting at the wind crystal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, starting these things on Monday never made much sense to me. I just want to play, not watch some neckbeards play.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, starting these things on Monday never made much sense to me. I just want to play, not watch some neckbeards play.

I think the point of the neck beards is that they raise money for the berserker risk. Some people prefer watching someone power run through the game rather than play themselves.

Also I got Monday off :smug:

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Shwqa posted:

I think the point of the neck beards is that they raise money for the berserker risk. Some people prefer watching someone power run through the game rather than play themselves.

Also I got Monday off :smug:

I will never understand the appeal of watching people play over actually playing.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The Flying Milton posted:

I will never understand the appeal of watching people play over actually playing.

I have good news for you, there is plenty of time for both.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Fenrir posted:

Last year I got Blue Mage, Summoner, Ranger, Chemist and I'd take the Ranger over Ninja any day, that run was completely disgusting. I honestly can't imagine one that can break the game any more than I did.

Yeah, after that team I thought Berserker Risk was the way to go this year

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sooo.... 580 berserkers for 480 players, myself included.

What have I gotten myself into?

Oh yes, I got myself into :black101:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

The Flying Milton posted:

When those people are willing to put in hundreds/thousands of hours to learn a game and run it as fast as humanly possible, it's actually pretty sweet.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
What happens if there's $30 or more in donations for every person with Berserker Risk when the fiesta begins?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hedera Helix posted:

What happens if there's $30 or more in donations for every person with Berserker Risk when the fiesta begins?

Then they get lots of berserkers.

This almost certainly will not happen.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Assuming that there are no more pre-registrations for the risk, you'd need $13,470 for the 449 players. Additionally, not all of these are eligible for multiple berserkers, so a ton would straight up be wasted. On the bright side, that's quickly approaching double the stated goal.

So no, it almost certainly will not happen. It would gently caress up a lot of players though, all non-normal non-natural Berserker Risk players would get three berserkers.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
As unlikely as it is to happen I can still hope we have us a bumper crop of berserkers for the tree this year.

Since that seems to be indicative of "people donating a lot of money" and all. Or rather if not indicative then encouraging.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

KataraniSword posted:

Dancer has game-worst Vitality/HP

I asked this last year I think, and I know it was talked about in Mega64's LP of FFV, but for the life of me it just escapes me so you'll have to forgive me if I ask again, but here goes.

Vitality pretty much means nothing in FFV, right? I know it determines how much HP Regen gives you, and I know it's used to determine HP. I also know Vitality boosts from equipment don't affect HP (equipping a Ribbon won't raise a character's HP), but what I'm fuzzy on is if I master Monk (which has the highest Vitality), does that mean my Freelancer's HP goes up or not?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vitality from class raises hp. A monk (or freelancer with mastered monk) has a bit over 3/4 more hp than a dancer.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 14, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I think stamina is the useless stat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

dis astranagant posted:

Vitality from class raises hp. A monk (or freelancer with mastered monk) has a bit over 3/4 more hp than a dancer.

Okay, that's the one I wasn't sure on, thanks.

Shwqa posted:

I think stamina is the useless stat.

Stamina and Vitality are the same, Stamina is what they used in the PS1 translation and Vitality is what they used in the GBA.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Tomorrow I'm going to go park at the Wind Crystal. I'm itching to get started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

RK usually started it immediately after his stream beat the final boss the last two years, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens this year.

• Locked thread