Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Dear Esper class,

I tried.

We've been married for 28 levels now and this just isn't working anymore. I know my parents told me you weren't mobile, and I know that's not true! But it's not your mobility that's brought us to this point. It's how loving janky and unresponsive all of your loving abilities are.

Sorry. I overreacted. You don't deserve to be spoken to like that. Lots of classes feel janky. It's not unusual and not really your fault. You were just designed that way. If anything it's my own personal failing to accept you as the ranged assassination rogue except with cast times and no stopcast macro to facilitate dropping Psychic Bird Eviscerate.

I have to confess something to you. Something I'm ashamed of. I've been seeing other classes for a week now. I didn't want to hurt you, but I see now that hiding that any longer will only make it worse. So I've decided I should officially move on.

I still think you're a great guy, and can make people really happy. You're a good healer. And there are people out there better than me, ones that can accept how unresponsive your abilities are. I think you're going to be fine without me.

All of that said, I think we should stay together for two more levels just so we can finish the Tier 3 Farm. But I'll be staying elsewhere starting now. Keep the house. And if you want to see other players in this transition period, I won't hold it against you. I know there are some in this thread who are very passionate about you, and I think you might be a good match for them.

I wish you the best and will never forget the times we had together.

-boho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Ugh, the sheer amount of quests is making me rapidly lose the will to follow any sort of storyline. There's like three hundred of the drat things in every hub, vomiting text at me that I simply have no interest in. TESO had its problems but I at least read the quest dialogue and felt invested in the characters.

You can choose which story lines to follow. I like having a lot of story line and quest options because it makes leveling alts a lot less tedious.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Ugh, the sheer amount of quests is making me rapidly lose the will to follow any sort of storyline. There's like three hundred of the drat things in every hub, vomiting text at me that I simply have no interest in. TESO had its problems but I at least read the quest dialogue and felt invested in the characters.

Try sticking to the main story ones, and just do some of the the "tasks" when you can stomach them or they look interesting or when they're near/part of the story ones. It's not that hard and in most cases this shouldn't cause you any leveling issues. There are actually some pretty fun and clever questlines throughout the game, and they're usually ones that are denoted as Zone/Regional story.

Was this all REALLY necessary? I can't even tell what you're complaining about specifically.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How many costume slots do you get?

Six at level 50.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I literally do not know what you mean when you refer to esper skills as unresponsive. If anything, the class handles it well by letting you ability queue TkS into MB and gaining the PP for TkS after MB connects and giving multiple options to buffer out PP gains off the GCD. The summon skills are all kinda wonky sometimes but that's rarely a significant issue, and IB and CB are super-responsive, if anything.

Psychic Frenzy is sometimes another beast where you tap twice to do both swings which feels weird but it's not that bad to use either.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

cathead posted:

Was this all REALLY necessary? I can't even tell what you're complaining about specifically.

If he takes the effort to be that amusing I say he can complain about an MMO in the thread meant to discuss said MMO.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

tokyosexwale posted:

If he takes the effort to be that amusing I say he can complain about an MMO in the thread meant to discuss said MMO.

I just thought the whole thing sounded kinda dumb and was wondering what his actual problem is.

edit: As far as I can tell it's about the fact that you can't easily stop TKS to cast MB but you can just do what Zoness said and get the TKS damage, the MB damage, AND the point. I don't see why that warranted the entire spiel.

cathead fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 13, 2014

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I really like the coordinate crafting system, but only if it's a sure thing... Like, if it takes two iron screws and a gold filigree to craft a specific item every time, that's fine with me. But trying 7 times before getting the item I'm trying to craft for a guildie is a bit aggravating. Using the same combination the next time, I could miss the target.

cathead posted:

I just thought the whole thing sounded kinda dumb and was wondering what his actual problem is.

I rather liked the post, understood their complaints, and appreciated the way in which it was presented.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Aexo posted:

I rather liked the post, understood their complaints, and appreciated the way in which it was presented.

Well OK then I clearly got a different idea of it, probably because I play an Esper!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Goons,

When someone has a negative opinion about a class/game that you actually enjoy, it isn't a personal attack on you when they express it. Hope this helps alleviate the autism.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.

Shameful.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

LLeGGo posted:

Shameful.

thanks now i'm fired

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
For Christ sake, that's like the 10th time the EU auth server has gone down today.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

For Christ sake, that's like the 10th time the EU auth server has gone down today.

Next time be on a server with more FREEDOM. Murca.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

cathead posted:

It's not you, it's him. If it helps, put this on in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Ek3b0dnhE

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Holy crap the questing in this feels tedious coming from GW2.

By they way is there an easy way to share stuff between characters, or do I just need to use the in game mail?

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Interesting bug where everyone seems to be limited to trial account stuff on Contagion.

e- I have 50g now instead of the 2 platinum i had before. Well done.

Fajita Fiesta fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 13, 2014

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

^
It's funny because some people thought that the mount vendor took their gold and left them with 50 when they repaired. So I guess this might be the issue.

I bought the raptor mount in Illium yesterday and it only took the required gold. If you're going to buy the mount skill upgrade, send all but the amount you need to an alt and then purchase it, to make sure it doesn't take 150 gold or so.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

FoolishLobster posted:

^
It's funny because some people thought that the mount vendor took their gold and left them with 50 when they repaired. So I guess this might be the issue.

I bought the raptor mount in Illium yesterday and it only took the required gold. If you're going to buy the mount skill upgrade, send all but the amount you need to an alt and then purchase it, to make sure it doesn't take 150 gold or so.

I love how the note for that was "we fixed it so it now actually gives you the next level of riding, but it may charge you multiple times"

Welp.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Sterling_Archer posted:

The real issue with this patch is that the engineer bug thread is several pages long and not a single one was addressed. But they sure had time to tweak bolt caster by 5%.

This really confused me too, here I was thinking that Electrocute was king of DPS for Engineer's with Bolt Caster only being only marginally better at single target.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

organburner posted:

The thing I like least about the questing, at least up to level 32 so far, is the lack of story. In other mmos, you meet and interact with central plot characters. You save them from danger, you team up and take on primary evils. You combat them on their rise to power. You watch them evolve, suffer, triumph, fail, mutate, commit treason, or make selfless sacrifices. You hear the story told from the voice of the character in the heat of the moment, not just in quest text. The quests slide by as you take each step through the storyline progression.

Thats not wildstar. Wildstar questing is a series of tasks clustered around static, stagnant hubs. Sometimes you can get the quest hub to catch fire or go through a cosmetic change, but the storyline never carries past a single quest or two. You never take the storyline with you to the next hub. You can't get caught up in any great adventures because they dont exist. Quest text is so bare that you can't even get context clues to help you finish the quest, much less try to immerse yourself in any lore. The biggest adventure you're going to be part of is that xp bar slogging its way to the right side of your screen. Maybe this changes at later levels. I hope it changes at later levels.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

FoolishLobster posted:

^

Its because I briefly had trial account privileges which are capped to 50g. Seems to be affecting a ton of people. Rollback time maybe.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

jubelio posted:

The thing I like least about the questing, at least up to level 32 so far, is the lack of story. In other mmos, you meet and interact with central plot characters. You save them from danger, you team up and take on primary evils. You combat them on their rise to power. You watch them evolve, suffer, triumph, fail, mutate, commit treason, or make selfless sacrifices. You hear the story told from the voice of the character in the heat of the moment, not just in quest text. The quests slide by as you take each step through the storyline progression.

Thats not wildstar. Wildstar questing is a series of tasks clustered around static, stagnant hubs. Sometimes you can get the quest hub to catch fire or go through a cosmetic change, but the storyline never carries past a single quest or two. You never take the storyline with you to the next hub. You can't get caught up in any great adventures because they dont exist. Quest text is so bare that you can't even get context clues to help you finish the quest, much less try to immerse yourself in any lore. The biggest adventure you're going to be part of is that xp bar slogging its way to the right side of your screen. Maybe this changes at later levels. I hope it changes at later levels.

Playing Exile, so the Dominion experience might be different, but you totally see the same questgivers and follow their story arcs, some of which last a single zone, and some of which continue on in later zones. It also helps that the Exile people in question are fairly colorful and have pretty unique outfits, so they kind of stand out.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

organburner posted:

Personal preference I guess. Questing in GW2 felt pointless and directionless to me.

Wildstar might be mostly generic go here kill 10 of these pick up 8 of those. But it's still more fun than wandering around aimlessly in GW2.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GW2 questing was a cool idea but I found myself really missing traditional quest text and hubs. GW2 felt very grindy to me and the kill quests way too dragged out with no substance. Then there was the main plot and its atrocious dialogue, same thing in TOR and FFXIV, and probably ESO thought I haven't tried it. I'm glad it they didn't attempt to do it, it is always embarrassingly bad. Still the questing in this game has a long way to go, but it's not bothering me as it seems to be other people. I find it a nice compromise between gw2 and WoW styles when it comes to gameplay

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Best thing to do when questing is never accept kill quests.

Just don't do it. They slow you down. Anything that involves collecting or interacting with doodads, that's fine. If a story quest requires you to grind mobs out, go ahead and do it. If a task asks you to do it? loving Decline, every time.

You'll thank me later.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Just don't do it. They slow you down. Anything that involves collecting or interacting with doodads, that's fine. If a story quest requires you to grind mobs out, go ahead and do it. If a task asks you to do it? loving Decline, every time.

You'll thank me later.

I disagree on this, really, often you stay in the area long enough to finish those tasks anyway, since you'll have to kill mobs that guard your pick up things and whatever. The trick is to do everything else before prioritizing killing them and if you still haven't killed them and it's a task then skip it.

Otherwise you're just wasting EXP~.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

cathead posted:

Well OK then I clearly got a different idea of it, probably because I play an Esper!
Its ok, I'v played an Esper too and the only thing I got out of it was something about stopcast :shrug:

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

ethanol posted:

GW2 questing was a cool idea but I found myself really missing traditional quest text and hubs. GW2 felt very grindy to me and the kill quests way too dragged out with no substance. Then there was the main plot and its atrocious dialogue, same thing in TOR and FFXIV, and probably ESO thought I haven't tried it. I'm glad it they didn't attempt to do it, it is always embarrassingly bad. Still the questing in this game has a long way to go, but it's not bothering me as it seems to be other people. I find it a nice compromise between gw2 and WoW styles when it comes to gameplay

Agreed. I'll take a TBC-style quest system where you grab a whole grip of quests, then go out into the wild to do as many as you can in a big sequence, eventually coming back to turn poo poo in, repair, or whatever. I thought ToR's Juggernaut story was alright (for the first half), but GW2 and FFXIV were each pretty bad.

Alasuojus
Jul 27, 2012

Nakar posted:

You'll thank me later.

I like killing stuff. Xp gain isn't bad if the mobs are 1 or 2 levels above you. I personally dislike searching the doodads that I need to interact with on some quests.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

wisdomHNOX posted:

Playing Exile, so the Dominion experience might be different, but you totally see the same questgivers and follow their story arcs, some of which last a single zone, and some of which continue on in later zones. It also helps that the Exile people in question are fairly colorful and have pretty unique outfits, so they kind of stand out.

Artemis Zin is a pretty big deal in the Dominion, and if you follow her you're directly involved in trying to get at the Elder Cube with her... Or rather she has you do all the dangerous stuff so she can step over your mangled corpse to glory.

If you go to the Chua/Draken starting area, or the Aurin/Mordesh area, then there's a very noticeable disconnect. Sure, you still get orders from key faction figures, but you don't seem as directly involved. The quest where you crash a pirate ship with Deadeye is pretty drat sweet.

All of GW2's plot characters, meanwhile, interact together in a bad soap opera you play a bit part in. I am immensely glad WildStar doesn't inspire a chart showing who wants to gently caress whom among faction leaders.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a gw2 vs wildstar derail.

Anyway, my question, is there an easy way to share items between characters or does that go through the mail?

I mean GW2 did really spoil me when it comes to convenience.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Nakar posted:

You'll thank me later.

My issue with kill quests is that the time required fluctuates enormously while the rewards don't even correlate. I was running around Wilderrun popping off quick kill quests alongside story missions and all of a sudden an optional quest requires me to kill pumera trainers for 1% per mob, all for a lovely green implant. No thanks.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zoness posted:

I disagree on this, really, often you stay in the area long enough to finish those tasks anyway, since you'll have to kill mobs that guard your pick up things and whatever. The trick is to do everything else before prioritizing killing them and if you still haven't killed them and it's a task then skip it.

Otherwise you're just wasting EXP~.

Alasuojus posted:

I like killing stuff. Xp gain isn't bad if the mobs are 1 or 2 levels above you. I personally dislike searching the doodads that I need to interact with on some quests.
It's faster to minimize the number of things you actually fight. I would say provably but really all I have is anecdotal evidence, but since I stopped doing almost all Task quests leveling got dramatically faster and less intolerable for me. The doodad quests are faster and you can usually just avoid anything that would aggro you to get to them because the aggro radius in Wildstar is so small. Doing this I blow through levels really quickly and I never have enough kills to fill out those kill quests.

Especially the ones that give you the option to fight larger, tougher enemies for reasonable amounts of kill credit. Those just aren't worth the trouble.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Rollback time maybe.

gently caress that I've made good progress today.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Nakar posted:

Especially the ones that give you the option to fight larger, tougher enemies for reasonable amounts of kill credit. Those just aren't worth the trouble.

I always correlated the percentage of how much you complete kill quests with the amount of HP you've done to the type of mob. I did this because when people I was not grouped with would wail on a mob I was attacking, I wouldn't get the same increment in quest completion percentage. Anyway... I'm in my early 30s and I finally got to quest at the same time with a guildie last night. We took on the red hued mobs, which have significantly more HP, and took four or more times longer to kill than a non-hued mob (granted my guildie didn't interrupt, so there were no MoO's on this mob), but I doubt if I got even 75% more percentage quest completed added. It was pretty frustrating for me, and turned me off to the idea of trying to kill them to finish faster.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
The Dominion plot started to shine in Wilderrun. You meet up with Toric again, you see some familiar faces from Levian Bay of all places [not Artemis] and the quests feel very "holy poo poo the dominion has a lot of plot"

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

wisdomHNOX posted:

Playing exile, I understand that certain quests link to further quests and NPC's might show up in more than 1 hub. I wouldnt really call that a story arc though.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Nakar posted:

Yeah, the developers kinda dropped the ball on that one. Kill quests need to be about learning. There's a decent one near the start for Exile characters: kill five boulderbacks. You're exploring the area a bit and you've probably seen these critters, but you've perhaps avoided them because they look big and scary. The quest nudges you towards them, implicitly telling you "this is an appropriate challenge for your character." You fight a few of them, maybe botching the first fight and being forced to retreat. By the end of the quest, you've learned the enemy's windup animations and its telegraph zones. Great! You're done; here's an explicit reward (gold and exp) to accompany the implicit rewards of "trying something new" and "learning about your character's capabilities."

It falls apart when you break the connection between learning and reward:
  • the enemy in question is just a reskin of something that the character has already faced, without any new abilities. Acceptable if there's some new wrinkle (e.g. it's a ranged critter, but it's now accompanied by melee allies and requires a different approach OR the critter has a knockback ability and you're now fighting it near perilous ledges and bottomless pits).
  • the character has already learned to fight the critter before starting the quest. Acceptable if the task auto-starts when the character scores the first kill (which would be a great use of Wildstar's commlink feature).
  • the character cannot conceivably reach the quest-giver NPC without fighting their way through a few of the critters. Acceptable if the character is now given some new resource (e.g. NPC allies, or Soldier SWAT gear) for the duration of the quest. Borderline acceptable if the developers expect that players will have skipped the earlier fights via mounted travel, stealth, etc...
  • the kill quota is so high that the player will have stopped learning long before it is complete; the remainder is just repetition of a familiar pattern (or, god forbid, standing around and waiting for enemies to respawn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Ok, quick selling question from a newb. I've got two collection tradeskills to raise some quick cash. If the mats I'm collecting sell for less on the commodities market than just vendoring... I should just vendor them, right?

• Locked thread