Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

We filed a complaint about the baby, nothing happened for 5 weeks.This kid seriously cries day and night. So we had loud sex in the bathroom and a cop knocked on our door 20 minutes later.

A friend of mine and his wife were told by their neighbors (who were moving out) was due to their loud sex. Their kid was on the other side of the wall hearing all of it :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Babies cry dude, some more than others, not much anyone can do about it especially the cops.

Filing a complaint about a crying baby is like filing a complaint that the sky is blue.

I was concerned the kid was being neglected.

meatpimp posted:

Rhyno must live in the shittiest part of the most ghetto Fort Wayne. I lived there for my high school years and it was nothing buy upper-middle-class+ suburbia. There's not much in Fort Wayne other than the GM plant and some insurance companies' headquarters, so its demographic is more monied than most parts of the central midwest.

Rhyno, move out of the ghetto and get new friends. Your life will be better, but your stories will be worse.

Dude how long ago was that? The entire south side of the city sank into poverty. Downtown may be all gussied up but three blocks away from the main intersections you have crack houses. We live just on the cusp of the "rich" part of the southwest side of town out near Aboite. The vandalism was before I lived over here.

Edit: Did you see the number of homicides in this town last year? Hell there was a shooting inside the bar I used to work at just a few months ago. FW is turning into Gary. It's okay though, there's a possibility that if the lady's career soars we'll end up in NC in a few more years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

I would love to hear some examples of trying to explain engineering to dumb people.

Most of the recent ones have been telecom product related. I took several tries to explain how a proposed VoIP app could not possibly know where a user was by turning on a nonexistent GPS ("but my phone can do that!" "But the ones this is designed for can't." "Why don't we just program the feature in?" "A GPS has a hardware component. We can't upload physical things to people's phones over the internet." "What about that contract programming fir we used last year" "No, I'm pretty sure they don't know how to install hardware over the internet either.")

Things get even stupider when we have to start talking about reporting and databases and what data exists and what doesn't even though "it really seem like we have that." Oh, it SEEMS like it? From your view as a salesperson it seems like it? I'm LOOKING AT THE loving TABLES. It is NOT THERE and there is no way to capture it for transactions that occurred in the past.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mounting a anti static gun on my automated production machine because I am SICK OF GETTING HIT WITH SHOCKS SO BAD MY ARMS GET PULLED AGAINST MY CHEST INVOLUNTATILY.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

If you're feeling like BBQ, I suggest a lunch stop when you pass Des Moines. Smokey D's BBQ off the 2nd Street exit from I35 North is pretty great.

Edit : Nevermind, forgot which side of MN IF is on. You're probably going up though Wisconsin.

A man that knows good place to eat right here ^^^^

We may need to do an Iowa/Midwest AI meet up one of these days. There's 4 or 5 of us.... With in 5 hours apart of each other.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Things get even stupider when we have to start talking about reporting and databases and what data exists and what doesn't even though "it really seem like we have that." Oh, it SEEMS like it? From your view as a salesperson it seems like it? I'm LOOKING AT THE loving TABLES. It is NOT THERE and there is no way to capture it for transactions that occurred in the past.

"Why can't we display that field on the screen?"
"Because it's not in the file, so we can't load it into the database, so we didn't create a column for it in the table, so we can't load that column into the entity to display it on the screen."
"Why don't you just add the field to the screen and have it do nothing, because adding a field takes a long time and I don't want to do this again next release?"
"Adding a field takes a long time because of the stuff I just mentioned, not because of adding a field to the screen..."
(repeat until meeting ends)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
While I've been in that meeting, I feel its 100 times worse when the other folks are engineers that really should know better. I can usually shut down the non-engineers pretty easily, but other engineers will try to argue until the heat death of the universe. Case in point, someone thought it would be a good idea to turn off the hardware watchdog 80% of the time because it saves power. Ok, that works until some hardware design glitch results in a race condition which locks up part of the device. While the hardware watchdog could have fixed the issue, the problem occurs when its off, and we can't turn it back on because it'll burn a bit of power. Guess what folks, our poo poo had to work first before we can start optimizing power. Also, no, we can't optimize the power for the software solution we are designing (massive pile of poo poo and the wrong solution because politics) because over optimizing the power usage is what got us into this problem in the first place.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holy gently caress I hate summer tourists. I never knew basic things like signalling and the ability to safely change lanes were so loving rare until today. Goddamn.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Ozmiander posted:

Mounting a anti static gun on my automated production machine because I am SICK OF GETTING HIT WITH SHOCKS SO BAD MY ARMS GET PULLED AGAINST MY CHEST INVOLUNTATILY.

I need to do this on my sandblast cabinet. My moobs get shocked every 20 seconds while Im leaning over look through the window.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

thegasman2000 posted:

Sorry bit I am on this like white on rice. I also don't know what that means...

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Jesus, or at least spring for nonconductive boots, you guys.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have been in that meeting many times.

Fortunately not at this company. Even the management team here mostly has engineering degrees as well as business/management experience.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Haha, GM is recalling half a million Camaros because they can mysteriously shut off while driving.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

Devyl posted:

Haha, GM is recalling half a million Camaros because they can mysteriously shut off while driving.

..and here I thought date rape and GM vehicles had only a loose correlation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was concerned the kid was being neglected.

Some babies cry non stop and it's not because of neglect, it could be a case of colic. Don't assume someone is neglecting their child just because it's crying, if you actually SEE something going on or hear the child getting beaten for instance it's a different story.

Babies cry. A lot.

Motronic posted:

"No, I'm pretty sure they don't know how to install hardware over the internet either."

That's pretty loving funny. I can only imagine your frustration when after you explain it to them, they still think you're full of poo poo and are just being lazy or something.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's pretty much the reason why I quit IT work when I was done with college.

The stupid to money ratio wasn't worth it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sign at the tip community recycling centre: Limit of 6x25kg bags of soil/rubble in a six-month period. I'm at about 2 tons this week :iamafag:.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Sign at the tip community recycling centre: Limit of 6x25kg bags of soil/rubble in a six-month period. I'm at about 2 tons this week :iamafag:.

My favorite dump story is when I got pooped on by a pigeon while throwing out toilets, and then did a clutch-pop one-wheel-peel burnout in a pile of damp trash to bury it and its friends.

I might even get to buy the Ranger I did it in soon.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

InitialDave posted:

Well that's certainly better than what David McCallum came up with. Bet he feels a bit of a twat now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgzxKepsjM

New Roadkill's up. Just what I needed to make this week suck less.

Oh my god, I forgot they were gonna do it Gasser style. :fap:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

they still think you're full of poo poo and are just being lazy or something.

That's the part that eats away at your sanity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knobjockey posted:

Well that's certainly better than what David McCallum came up with. Bet he feels a bit of a twat now.
I'd need some kind of MC Hammer outfit to make that work!

Motronic posted:

No, you don't understand, they worked in engineering, they know what can and can't be done, and how things should be organised. :jerkbag:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

One of our directors started out in my job and thus cannot be bullshitted, but on the plus side I've been in meetings where he takes someone apart to the molecular level for asking us for something stupid :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

One of our directors started out in my job and thus cannot be bullshitted, but on the plus side I've been in meetings where he takes someone apart to the molecular level for asking us for something stupid :3:
Now imagine someone who thinks this is what they are...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

I thought the part that eats at you is when they can imply you're stupid, but you can't tell them that they are.

Because god forbid you hurt someone's feelings.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A manager of a department in my organization asked for a solution to a problem. I wrote a brief with not 1, not 2, but 6 solutions. These are all of the possible and actionable solutions to the problem. She rejected all of them l. I'm trying to think of a diplomatic and professional way to tell her that I hope she enjoys living with the problem.

My wife has also been complaining to me the past few days because her mother in law has been overbearing in emails about a memorial service we're putting together. I said "OK, let me talk to her and I'll fix it." She said "No, I'm just venting, don't talk to her." I finally got tired of the venting reruns and didn't think my mother should get away with it anyways, so I sent her an email telling her to cut it out. She realized the error of her ways and sent a nice and sincere apology to my wife; who is now flaming pissed at me for fixing the problem because now I've "damaged the relationship" by making everything better. My wife also slammed the door on the Miata in anger and now there's a new and very troubling rattle whose source I can't quite determine.

gently caress everyone who is attached to their problems and just wants to bitch about them instead of solving them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

gently caress everyone who is attached to their problems and just wants to bitch about them instead of solving them.

There's a strong correlation between that behavior and having two X chromosomes. Understanding there is nothing I can do to change that I've learned to deal with it without getting all balled up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

There's a strong correlation between that behavior and having two X chromosomes. Understanding there is nothing I can do to change that I've learned to deal with it without getting all balled up.

Earplugs?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

ONE OF US ONE OF US

I actually have a car buying and tinkering problem....

The Lancia nearly killed me and I made money in it going only as far as unseizing the motor.

Camper van one was an ambulance with a 3 liter petrol v6. Sold it the week before the hg went :)

Camper 2 was a Vw t25. Ended up loosing some money after local housing agency threatened to evict me. Cunts.

Have owned a mk1 golf convertible. Left hand drive obviously! Owned a couple of volvo, land rover and a jeep grand Cherokee. Now I have a 306 estate. Hdi version. A long wheelbase transit that simon camper conversion. Runs sweet! And now a mini.... One of us indeed.

I am 28 with a mrs and one child with another on the way. My problem is not hampered by my responsibilities.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

goatse guy posted:

Why are you going to International Falls? I've been there before to visit family and can't see why anyone would visit.

My son goes to summer camp outside International Falls. He'll be there for a month. After that month, I'll be driving back up and we'll go out on a canoe trip for a week.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

trouser chili posted:

My son goes to summer camp outside International Falls. He'll be there for a month. After that month, I'll be driving back up and we'll go out on a canoe trip for a week.

I wish my dad had done that with me when I was a kid. Our interests were always divergent; I tried to follow along on stuff he liked to do but he usually didn't reciprocate. I try to talk cars with him since he bought a Corvette a few years ago, but he's only interested in Vettes.

Anyways, that sounds fun, good on you. Maybe I can get my dad into a canoe.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

Earplugs?

Women like to vent, you just nod your head and say yes dear, sorry to hear that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was feeling pretty good about getting the right hand CV joint, pads and rotors, shock, and the persistent exhaust leak fixed on my 2000 Passat wagon, I noticed the front brake flex lines had the outer sheath cracked, so I made a mental note to order those. I was cruising down the highway at ~45 (40 limit), reveling in the quietness and bump-absorbingness of my car, when the light ~300 feet in front of me turned yellow, so I applied the brakes, juduciously, and I began to stop, all was right in the world :). Then the pedal went to the floor, the rear brakes locked up, and I slid to a screaming halt, in middle of the intersection. I looked at the truck to my right, shifted into first, and slowly accelerated away.

loving front brake line blew the gently caress up, as in 75% of the circumfrance had ruptured, I guess moving the caliper around had been the last straw for the old, brittle rubber. Fortunately it was a standard, so I could get like 40% braking performance by modulating the clutch and E-brake, not a fun 30 minutes while I ran around and collected parts to fix the old bitch though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Women like to vent, you just nod your head and say yes dear, sorry to hear that.

I've learned over the years just to tune it out, listen for key points (in case that dreaded "what have I been talking about?") And just let the rant be over with. Pick and chose which battles you fight. Unless there's physical harm, I just let it be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

thegasman2000 posted:

I actually have a car buying and tinkering problem....

The Lancia nearly killed me and I made money in it going only as far as unseizing the motor.

Oooooooh I remember that Lunchbox. That was a deathtrap if I recall, yes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

That's the one.

By all means do NOT make suggestions to fix poo poo during this venting. That is NOT what they want and will turn from venting about someone/something else to being pissed at you.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I remember reading an article about how venting helps women release stress, yet venting causes men to stress, especially if work related.

I don't know how factual it was but my anecdotal evidence supports it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mafoose posted:

I remember reading an article about how venting helps women release stress, yet venting causes men to stress, especially if work related.

I don't know how factual it was but my anecdotal evidence supports it.

Similarly, I don't know if it was a study or just someone saying it, but I remember reading that when venting, women tend to be looking for emotional support and sympathy, whereas men are inclined to want and/or offer logical solutions. Mismatched signals and desires, leads to misunderstandings and hurt feelings.

Disclaimer that not all people fit their gender stereotype, etc.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Girlfriend and I found an apartment in the city I've been working in. All set to move in August. :hellyeah:

Won't say I will miss the hour commute (although it's fairly easy since it's all interstate) but work has been more than accommodating essentially paying me to commute. In a company car.

I went all of May without putting any gas in the Miata. :v: Sure beats the ~1500 miles/week I was doing previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Guys, I have a problem.

I love my new Volvo. Help.

• Locked thread