Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Splatoon looks like a really fun game that I won't ever buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Nintendo has successfully destroyed all new and innovative things in the video games industry forever. It's all downhill from here, folks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Suspicious Dish posted:

You just described every non-handheld Nintendo release of the last ten years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I don't know the specifics of what constitutes a new IP, but I don't really consider Captain Toad a new IP because it's a spinoff from the Mario series. To me a new IP is unrelated to what came before it.
That doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, yes, characters are intellectual property, but if Captain Toad 2 comes out I won't think "I wonder if this plays like Mario".

Like, do we consider Mighty No 9 to be a novel, new idea simply because the names of Megaman and Roll were changed? Maybe Nintendo should call the game Captain Boad. There now it's a new IP!!

There are not many franchises in all of gaming where each game is completely different (Kirby is the only one I can think of), so I think it's fair to tie game design into IP in this discussion. I don't consider Wario Land 4 a Mario spinoff, for example, I consider it the 4th game in the Wario Land series. To me that's an IP.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 13, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

That doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, yes, characters are intellectual property, but if Captain Toad 2 comes out I won't think "I wonder if this plays like Mario".

Like, do we consider Mighty No 9 to be a novel, new idea simply because the names of Megaman and Roll were changed? Maybe Nintendo should call the game Captain Boad. There now it's a new IP!!

Was Smash Bros not a new IP because it had existing characters? Was Quake Wars not since it was something of a spinoff? Or TIE Fighter?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why? Do you not have a Wii U? Are you stupid?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

There are not many franchises in all of gaming where each game is completely different (Kirby is the only one I can think of),
Final Fantasy's games are as different as Kirby's are.

Would you consider Final Fantasy 11 a new IP?

On a side note, Amiibo (that skylanders thing) probably counts as a new IP.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think he's saying since it's expanded off a mini level in an already existing game. It would be like an entire game of blooper racing, which I would like. I'm not sure of its new or not, but it looks great.

E: all you ducks buy splatoon so I have people to play it with online

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Was Smash Bros not a new IP because it had existing characters? Was Quake Wars not since it was something of a spinoff? Or TIE Fighter?

Tie Fighter was a Sequel to X-Wing.

Also I think it would be nice if they came up with an IP that did not involve previous Nintendo properties. Captain toad is still a Mario thing and the majority of their releases are still based on previous series.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also I think it would be nice if they came up with an IP that did not involve previous Nintendo properties. Captain toad is still a Mario thing and the majority of their releases are still based on previous series.

They're doing exactly that, pay attention

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
After Steel Diver: Sub Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon ends up some form of free-to-play.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

There are not many franchises in all of gaming where each game is completely different (Kirby is the only one I can think of), so I think it's fair to tie game design into IP in this discussion. I don't consider Wario Land 4 a Mario spinoff, for example, I consider it the 4th game in the Wario Land series. To me that's an IP.

Yeah okay, I change my mind. This makes a lot more sense to me when you lay it out this way. But I think the biggest complaint from people is the constant recycling of Nintendo's properties, even when they're retooled into different forms like Captain Toad.

Not me though. I don't care. I'll play Mario and Zelda games until I die.

Carbolic Smokeball fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 13, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

elf help book posted:

After Steel Diver: Sub Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon ends up some form of free-to-play.

Nintendo's E3 website claims that Splatoon pre-orders are coming soon, so I doubt it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I have a dream that one day, my new IP will be judged not by its characters, but by the content of its gameplay.

I think I already used this joke.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Why are you dumb fucks having an IP debate when all these games look amazing? Buy a Wii U if you haven't already.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Splatoon is the most interesting 3rd person shooter I've seen in years, I'm really glad to be excited for something that isn't smash, zelda, etc.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zas posted:

They're doing exactly that, pay attention

Seems to be just Splatoon.

I do not consider Wii-Fit a game and that's scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's like Microsoft BOB being put into a game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Why are you dumb fucks having an IP debate when all these games look amazing? Buy a Wii U if you haven't already.

'I preferred the FYAD invasion to the regular discussion' - words I never thought I would say

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm still waiting for my Non Specific Action Figure game :colbert:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'I preferred the FYAD invasion to the regular discussion' - words I never thought I would say

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tnega posted:

On a side note, Amiibo (that skylanders thing) probably counts as a new IP.

How? It brings even less new content to the table than Skylanders did, and thats just considered a Spyro game. Every single one of the figurines is based off an existing character, thats the point. They also do not do a single thing for any game that isn't part of a long established franchise.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Who gives a poo poo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fulchrum posted:

How? It brings even less new content to the table than Skylanders did, and thats just considered a Spyro game. Every single one of the figurines is based off an existing character, thats the point. They also do not do a single thing for any game that isn't part of a long established franchise.

Skylanders is nothing more than paid DLC in figurine form to swap characters.

It would be like if we got Super Mario 3D World, but if we wanted to play as Luigi, Toad, Peach or Rosalina we have to buy a $10 toy.

Their current use is not exactly a bad thing, but I'm sure a full game is coming. They just announced the things and barely touched on how it is used in one game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't like that the figurines are using the clear plastic pole to support some of them.

Looks like that could easily crack, Disney Infinity and Skylanders have aerial positions held up by more than just a single plastic pole they usually have much thicker pieces of plastic molded as energy blasts or chains to keep the figure in place.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Their current use is a memory card. In the year 2014.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So how long until they run out of guys and try to make 2014 versions of Candy Kong, Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong and other characters who have not appeared in a game in over a decade?

Also the one thing that bothered me about the Tropical Freeze is that they have voice actors but all they're speaking is gibberish when it's entirely possible to have characters like funky kong move their lips to form words. Like he's well animated and all but he sounds like a Japanese Edo Period Re-Enactor having a stroke. It just looks weird at this point because he's speaking in full english text in the speech bubble. I mean they spent money to hire VA's already why not just have them say full on words since they're writing those words out into a text bubble anyways.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 13, 2014

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Amiibos are frustrating because it feels like they're adding an extra level of inconvenience to DLC/Cloud Saves. I look at those figures and I just see them taking up space and taking time to get from a store when I could just be downloading the same functionality.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I'm still waiting for my Non Specific Action Figure game :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84GPzleSsI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tnega posted:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. I'm saying that characters alone don't define a "new IP", and Final Fantasy proves that. No one says "Wait a minute, Cloud?! What happened to Locke? This must be a new IP."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

abagofcheetos posted:

That's all Skylander figures do...

Atomicated posted:

Amiibos are frustrating because it feels like they're adding an extra level of inconvenience to DLC/Cloud Saves. I look at those figures and I just see them taking up space and taking time to get from a store when I could just be downloading the same functionality.

Nobody would ever pay $10-$15 per character to customize them as DLC, but to buy a figurine that takes up space? People have no idea what they do and the reaction is pretty positive

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

Skylanders is nothing more than paid DLC in figurine form to swap characters.
And these Amiibo things are nothing more than overpriced memory cards in DLC form. Their purpose is to remember character progress across games in a portable form, right? Thats a memory card.

Edit:

abagofcheetos posted:

See? This guy gets it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how long until they run out of guys and try to make 2014 versions of Candy Kong, Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong and other characters who have not appeared in a game in over a decade?

Also the one thing that bothered me about the Tropical Freeze is that they have voice actors but all they're speaking is gibberish when it's entirely possible to have characters like funky kong move their lips to form words. Like he's well animated and all but he sounds like a Japanese Edo Period Re-Enactor having a stroke. It just looks weird at this point because he's speaking in full english text in the speech bubble. I mean they spent money to hire VA's already why not just have them say full on words since they're writing those words out into a text bubble anyways.

Youre a retard

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mario Sunshine had full voice acting and it was A Bad Decision.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fulchrum posted:

And these Amiibo things are nothing more than overpriced memory cards in DLC form. Their purpose is to remember character progress across games in a portable form, right? Thats a memory card.

Edit:

See? This guy gets it.

I get it. Did you expect them to somehow be more than this?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

I get it. Did you expect them to somehow be more than this?

No, I expect people to not think its a big deal when its no more than this.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mario Sunshine had full voice acting and it was A Bad Decision.

Yet jak and Daxer 1-3 had full voice acting and it was a good one.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The Taint Reaper posted:

elf help book posted:

Youre a retard

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

You're a dumb poor retard

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
With Mario games at least, there is that "Donald Duck problem" of that giving such a character a full speaking role just turns out weird. It's why in Duck Tales they had the conceit of sending Donald away to the Navy and have Scrooge take in the nephews. That's why Mario games should stick with minimal story and basically no voice acting, exactly like they did with 3D World. On the other hand, Nintendo seem to have taken away from that the lesson that NONE of their games in their major franchises should be fully voice acted, which is some stupid bullshit. There's no reason, basically, why a Zelda game, for example, shouldn't be fully voice acted in this day and age.

• Locked thread