Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
Dumb question, I just got a new skillet and I used it to make some nice hamburgers, turned out wonderful. Rinsed it out, then wiped it down and no matter how much I wipe, the paper towel comes back with some residue on it. Is that totally ok (ala grill grates) or should I scrub it down and try harder to clean it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
as long as there aren't visible chunks of food on it leave it alone. Put a bit of oil on it and put it away.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I found a giant loving pan in the bottom of a handyman's shed. When I say that it's giant, I mean that it's 15 7/8" at the spout and 13 1/2" at the bottom. I don't know what he used it for but it smelled like oil and had rust all over the drat place. I got it out and threw it on a bonfire for a night to start the healing. Now I never take it off the hob and I make breakfast on it literally every morning.

During the week I toast six tortillas until they bubble and brown, and then I scramble six eggs in it. I turn the heat off after I crack the last egg and the residual heat will STILL overcook them if I don't watch. At 4:15, I don't always watch.

On the weekends I dice up some bacon ends (Atlanta goons better check out the Dekalb Farmer's Market) along with some jalapenos, onions, garlic, and culantro. Not cilantro. Culantro.

So yeah, egg tacos errday. I don't mind a tad.

Rationale fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 25, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have that beat, I found my iron skillet in a chicken coop completely burried in chicken poo poo. I was about 13 at the time and spent hours cleaning then reseasoning it.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I inherited one from my great aunt that my knucklehead brother then used to scoop up chickenshit samples. He eats out of that one now.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Opensourcepirate posted:

I've been thinking it's about time to buy some more cast iron, so I just ordered a new Lodge 5 Quart Dutch Oven with Skillet Cover. The cover will be nice, as I actually only have 8 inch and 15 inch cast iron skillets right now. I didn't realize how big 15 inches was until I got it, but I do love that thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Casserole-Skillet-5-Quart/dp/B000LEXR0K/

So I picked this up and tried doing scrambled eggs in it. I've read through the thread, but I suppose I took the "preseasoned" claim too seriously and totally hosed up the eggs. I'm assuming the correction to this is to scrub the burnt egg off of it with steel brush and season it myself?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bartlebee posted:

So I picked this up and tried doing scrambled eggs in it. I've read through the thread, but I suppose I took the "preseasoned" claim too seriously and totally hosed up the eggs. I'm assuming the correction to this is to scrub the burnt egg off of it with steel brush and season it myself?

Not a steel brush. Put some water about an inch up and then boild it. Then just scrub it with a plastic brush. Use a steel wool thing to clear off the preseason, but a steel brush is like using a handful of toothpicks.

Season it yourself of course.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Drifter posted:

Not a steel brush. Put some water about an inch up and then boild it. Then just scrub it with a plastic brush. Use a steel wool thing to clear off the preseason, but a steel brush is like using a handful of toothpicks.

Season it yourself of course.

Thanks, man. I read through the whole drat thread; you'd think I would've known better than to trust the preseasoning. I'll give it a go this weekend and see how it turns out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How do you season the walls of a cast iron pot effectively? The bottom is starting to develop a seasoning but the walls remain rough and sticky.

Also a (fairly shallow) wok b/c all the oil keeps pooling in the bottom.

Also also this is a cool thread and now I need a skillet.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

spankmeister posted:

How do you season the walls of a cast iron pot effectively? The bottom is starting to develop a seasoning but the walls remain rough and sticky.

Also a (fairly shallow) wok b/c all the oil keeps pooling in the bottom.

Also also this is a cool thread and now I need a skillet.

Season it in the oven instead of just on the stovetop after cooking in it. Put the pan on the rack upside down.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Some of these need to be seasoned again, my area gets very humid and I don't maintain them as well as I should.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 11, 2014

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Jesus Christ. Maybe make some kind of iron bag, put them all in it douse with flax oil and put them in a bonfire?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think that collection of cast iron, together, weighs more than all of my non-furniture, non-book possessions, put together. This includes my clothes. And my car. Maybe not my car.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 11, 2014

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Hello, my name is Biscuit Joiner and I'm an addict. I need help.

Some of these need to be seasoned again, my area gets very humid and I don't maintain them as well as I should.

I really dig that BSA dutch oven.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I love it but I've only used it a few times. Most of my camping is done while backpacking and it's a little too heavy for that.

Amazon sells it, It's not cheap though.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 11, 2014

americong
May 29, 2013

Speaking of cornbread, I'm not an advanced maker thereof (still getting used to getting the texture right), but I figured out something clever - you can dust the top with just a little brown sugar, and it looks pretty, I think next time I make a batch I'll do this, but in some sort of swirly pattern. It doesn't really affect the taste or texture, at least as long as you use only a very light sprinkling.

Presented alongside how I ended up eating it. (Fat Tire was too weak a flavor to pair with my chilitastic chili :()

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Chopped jalapenos are great mixed in the cornbread, especially with beans or chili. I've never tried brown sugar, yet.

I leave the pan in the oven while it's preheating so the pan is nice and hot when I put the batter in. This helps keep it from sticking to the pan and gives it get a nice crusty bottom. I prefer this over the softer cake type texture. It's one reason I use that pan so often, lots of edges.

americong
May 29, 2013

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Chopped jalapenos are great mixed in the cornbread, especially with beans or chili. I've never tried brown sugar, yet.

I leave the pan in the oven while it's preheating so the pan is nice and hot when I put the batter in. This helps keep it from sticking to the pan and gives it get a nice crusty bottom. I prefer this over the softer cake type texture. It's one reason I use that pan so often, lots of edges.

I'll try the preheating idea! Normally I just grease the everloving gently caress out of the pan.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Americong, where do you find Fat Tire in cans? Here in Ohio it only comes in bottles.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can buy it in the grocery store in cans or bottles in VA.

americong
May 29, 2013

Captain Trips posted:

Americong, where do you find Fat Tire in cans? Here in Ohio it only comes in bottles.

Just a convenience store, actually. I'm in Austin, Texas.

That was a twelve pack for about $18.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yuriki posted:

Dumb question, I just got a new skillet and I used it to make some nice hamburgers, turned out wonderful. Rinsed it out, then wiped it down and no matter how much I wipe, the paper towel comes back with some residue on it. Is that totally ok (ala grill grates) or should I scrub it down and try harder to clean it?

Once in a while if my skillet is gross I'll wash it with soap, then oil it down again. Soap every now and then is totally fine as long as it's quick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use soap frequently. It really won't hurt it as long as you're not soaking your pan.

I don't get how people tout cast iron as an indestructible option, and then act like a single drop of soap will destroy it. A properly seasoned pan can handle a little scrubbing with soap.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use soap frequently. It really won't hurt it as long as you're not soaking your pan.

I don't get how people tout cast iron as an indestructible option, and then act like a single drop of soap will destroy it. A properly seasoned pan can handle a little scrubbing with soap.

Yeah, we have to do a rough clean on it about once a week. If we're just frying bacon or whatever, it's fine to just wipe out, but after making something like fish in it, I want it a little cleaner so my eggs the next day don't taste all fishy. It's not a big thing, just don't soak it or put it in the dishwasher. Or even do if you want, you'll just have to reseason it.

We reseason ours about once a year anyway.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I read on reddit /r/askculinary that the notion "Never use soap on cast iron!" was from the time when soap contained lye. Modern soap, no worries.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

d3rt posted:

I read on reddit /r/askculinary that the notion "Never use soap on cast iron!" was from the time when soap contained lye. Modern soap, no worries.

Oh thank god. Man, cast iron is the modern idol worship. I mean that in a loving, joking fashion by the way - I love my cast iron even if my new all-clad pans are awesome enough on their own.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

d3rt posted:

That makes sense. The only thing I've ever done that has removed seasoning of my pans is aggressive, abrasive scrubbing (with or without soap).

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Has anyone tried the chainmail scrubbers to clean their cast iron? I've been thinking about trying one.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ringer-Cleaner-Stainless-Chainmail/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Has anyone tried the chainmail scrubbers to clean their cast iron? I've been thinking about trying one.

I use a chainmail glove instead. Works wonders.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I own one cast iron from the 30's that my father gave to me. I cooked tonight at my parent's place with another one of his cast iron pans - one with higher walls. He had cooked a roast in it earlier, and I used it to cook some rice and beans. I left most of the grease form the roast in the pan and just threw some veggies in to saute. End product was awesome.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I bought one, but I don't use it. Took longer than just using a plastic brush.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don't get the no soap ever thing. In many cases these are very old pots. One would have been boiling water in the largest pot with soap in it to wash all the other dishes in. I suppose the habit I was taught was to wipe it down with a fat while it was very hot every single time after every single use and subsequent cleaning.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you scrub with soap often enough it will eventually remove the seasoning but occasional washing does no harm.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Can someone recommend a cast iron cornbread recipe? We prefer it on the sweet side rather than savory.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I usually start with a boxed mix (Martha White) and add in whatever I happen to have on hand. Chopped jalapenos, tomatoes, sour cream, green peppers, chili, etc. I prefer mine savory over sweet so I can't hep much there but honey and fruit come to mind. Blueberries sound good.

AllRecipes has a pretty good selection of cornbread recipes.

Also, I am a sick person and need professional help, I bought another pan. Here it is on top of my Lodge cornbread pan.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I bought a cast iron grill pan for $23 at the flea market.

First, is this clean enough? Should I be worried about these spots? If so, what kind of cleaning process do I need to take? The lady suggested wet sandpaper.

Also, was grill pan the best way to go, or do I want a skillet? My main goal here is to cook hamburgers, but I'll also want to do steaks and hot dogs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Flat is better.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
$23 for a used cast iron? Sounds like you got got on that deal.

And yeah flat is way better by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mr Hands Colon posted:

$23 for a used cast iron? Sounds like you got got on that deal.

And yeah flat is way better by far.

Ah well, it was birthday money. Easy come, easy go.

Perhaps I should go get a flat Lodge at Target and learn how to season it?

• Locked thread