Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

After having an $800 car that used to stall out randomly in heavy traffic, I'd rather pay extra to not ever experience that again

Anyone here ever use CarMax before? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

I tried to sell them my car, they offered me less than $3k for it. I sold it the very next day private party for $5850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

EugeneJ posted:

After having an $800 car that used to stall out randomly in heavy traffic, I'd rather pay extra to not ever experience that again

Anyone here ever use CarMax before? Good experiences? Bad experiences?
I used CarMax last year and had a good experience buying a car. We took 2-3 weeks to find a car we liked in FL, and then paid the transfer fee. Liked the car here, and got it. Smooth transaction. They have like a 5 day return policy, I think. I didn't even bother taking it to a mechanic though. I've never had a problem, and it's since been seen by a mechanic, and it's completely fine. Except for the cracked windshield.

My brother also bought a car from CarMax 2 years ago, and never got it checked. They seem to service their vehicles pretty well.

I like not negotiating. Even if I could negotiate the price down with a regular car dealer, I didn't really want to give my business to a company that is going to rip off the next person who walks in and doesn't haggle the price down.

We didn't do trade-in though. We saw a lot of comments confirming what Nocheez said.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Yeah, walking on the side of the road in the dark is just as safe as anything else. :thumbsup:

I must be totally bizarre because I really don't care how safe anything is, yet fear of unlikely death seems to rule out a lot of poo poo for some people.

It's probably better do what you want and not to use illusions of security to make excuses. Fortune favours the bold and all that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

tuyop posted:

I must be totally bizarre because I really don't care how safe anything is, yet fear of unlikely death seems to rule out a lot of poo poo for some people.

It's probably better do what you want and not to use illusions of security to make excuses. Fortune favours the bold and all that.

Calling a little bit of bullshit here because I bet you wouldn't stop and back up on the freeway if you missed your exit.

Also "fortune favors the bold" being a cliched phrase doesn't make it true in a literal sense.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 13, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting my wisdom teeth at the end of this month, so I was thinkin, hey, the cost of the procedure will fill out the required amount on a new chase freedom, so I can grab that and bam, 200 bucks to help pay for it.

Instantly approved and I've basically doubled by available credit limit. Aw yea. :smugdog:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

tuyop posted:

I must be totally bizarre because I really don't care how safe anything is
Quite the coincidence considering how the universe seems to feel the same way about you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Quite the coincidence considering how the universe seems to feel the same way about you.

Yet I go on in joy. It's almost like bad things actually happening isn't as bad as being afraid of them all the time.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

tuyop posted:

There is unlikely death in a normal car accident on the freeway, and then there is the likely chance of a car's front suspension collapsing at 80mph because it is rusted to poo poo and really shouldn't be a load bearing structure anymore.

Like I said before $5k cars are a completely different ballgame than pulling poo poo whole sale out of a junkyard only.

Just read any restore thread in AI and check what happens to old, completely neglected cars. They are not the same thing the NHTSA blasted against a wall 20 years ago.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 14, 2014

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Juanito posted:

It is dangerous even if you don't care. It only takes one idiot not to notice you.

The software company I work for is about 12 years old, and our customer #1 was a founder's uncle.

A few years ago, it was early evening and he was walking home on one of those roads with no sidewalks, a road he'd walked down for years and years and he got swiped by a drunk driver in a hit and run. Hopefully he was killed instantly. Pretty sad. He was a veteran, and well respected member of the community. I still have his password memorized because I'd use his account for testing.

So keep in mind, even though you feel safe, and you're doing your best to say safe, don't assume the same of anybody else on the road.

ninja-edit: I completely support the walking.

This makes me kinda paranoid as a driver and a pedestrian. There's been a lot more news coverage on pedestrian fatalities in the area where there's no sidewalk or lighting. If I stay late at work my route home has a section that has people walking in the road in the dark and I often have to swerve to avoid them. I get people saying that it's ridiculous to worry about everything that could go wrong but I've been hit by a car as a pedestrian and I'm in a state that's known for pedestrian/bicyclist fatalities so I don't think it's that crazy of a worry.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

When you walk you're at the mercy of all sorts of bad drivers: drunk, inattentive, the list goes on. Heck, just the possibility of driver error should give you pause.

In contrast, when you drive you're...huh, that's funny, all those bad drivers still pose a colossal threat to you!

Hmmmm. At least when you drive you're not at risk of harming yourself through your own actions

Oh.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Spending money to not die in car crash is a good investment and stop trying to tell people that spending 500 on a beater with no modern safety features is a wise choice if they can afford a safer car. Jesus

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

gigawhite posted:

Spending money to not die in car crash is a good investment and stop trying to tell people that spending 500 on a beater with no modern safety features is a wise choice if they can afford a safer car. Jesus

If the goal is "not dying in a car crash" then reducing your personal VMT is far more effective than upgrading from a poo poo car to a nice car. Incidentally, reducing personal VMT is a great way to reduce spending.

Like I said before, I'm not opposed to buying nice vehicles (or at least avoiding crap ones). Comfort and maintenance requirements are important. But thinking that an extra $15,000 buys you a meaningful safety enhancement (as compared to the cost-saving move of driving less) is silly.

e: It's kinda like saying it's worth it to sink a ton of money into your river-adjacent house to floodproof it, when the cheaper and much more useful decision would be to not build in a floodplain.

VVVVV ghostpostin'

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 14, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I ride the bus each day. It has no seatbelts.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

If the goal is "not dying in a car crash" then reducing your personal VMT is far more effective than upgrading from a poo poo car to a nice car.
I dunno, the Model S looks practically indestructible as far as collisions go.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Holy poo poo are you guys still sperging about $500 cars in 2014?

Get the gently caress over to AI or something.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I ride my bike in the city and it's put me in the hospital twice. I should buy a car.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xie posted:

I ride my bike in the city and it's put me in the hospital twice. I should buy a car.

Nobody driving in a car has ever been hospitalized! True fact.

Folly
May 26, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I ride the bus each day. It has no seatbelts.

A city bus weights like 5-10 tons. It's only roadway enemies are semis, trains, and the Earth itself. Everything else is just gravel waiting to be crushed beneath its wheels :rock:

Guys, the car thing is simple. Here's how you manage your safety in a car, in order of importance:
1) Drive a little as possible. (Mr. Miyagi says, "Remember, best block, no be there.")
2) Drive defensively (The situation is already out of control once you're relying on the safety features of the car.)
3) Drive a safe and reliable vehicle (We;lp. This is about mass and momentum. Safety features are only effective in a narrow, but statistically common, range of accidents.)

Option 3's cost increases exponentially while it's benefit increases linearly. And it is the least effective way to secure yourself. And your new car probably costs 8-10 times more for I'm guessing something like 1.1 to 1.5 times the total safety of an equivalently rated older car. Buy a car at a minimum safety threshold. New is never worth the cost, safety wise.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm not saying people should be buying brand new cars, just that BFC has this almost idiotic obsession with being a spendthrift that makes it seem virtuous or wise to buy a piece of junk so you can tell people down at the recycling plant that you spent $250 bucks on your 1979 LeBaron and only suffered minor brain damage in that 15 mph accident you got into because you were coasting down a hill in neutral with the engine off because that's just free money, man

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

gigawhite posted:

I'm not saying people should be buying brand new cars, just that BFC has this almost idiotic obsession with being a spendthrift that makes it seem virtuous or wise to buy a piece of junk so you can tell people down at the recycling plant that you spent $250 bucks on your 1979 LeBaron and only suffered minor brain damage in that 15 mph accident you got into because you were coasting down a hill in neutral with the engine off because that's just free money, man

I think you're focusing on the more extreme end of the advice because it sticks out more by its very nature. Most people here just advise getting a used car with low miles and in good shape. The depreciation curve is so steep in the beginning, you can save so much money. It's kind of a no-brainer to do so.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

gigawhite posted:

1) Very easy to buy cars that aren't pieces of junk for under $1000. Not from used cars salesman though, that's why you have networks and craigslist and other methods to get okay cars at non extortionate rates.
1B) Just because others find cars at a decent price and you do not, does not mean they are driving around in rusted to crap pieces of junk that will likely kill them. It just means they looked around a bit more and used a method other than rolling over to the used car salesman to be bent over.
2) If you want to drop 5k on a car, that's cool. I think its the 18k+ or whatever "FOR SAFETY!" retardation that gets people going.
3) The main thing to avoid is crazy depreciation, not to find the absolute cheapest car ever. The Honda Accord I drove for a few years depreciated $300 (3500 -> 3200) over those couple of years and 40k miles and it was a fabulous car. That seems fine too. It is the idiotic "Let me buy an 18k car that will be worth 8k in a few years FOR SAFETY" that engenders criticism.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

It's amazing that anybody survives in the third world, where people drive lovely mopeds with one hand and hold babies with the other! People walk places and don't die despite poor sidewalk infrastructure and much looser traffic laws. All old thirdhand cars too, they're real poo poo here.

It's almost like you could die or not die for billions of reasons every day, so don't worry about it. Live for joy, not fear! Also poop in buckets.

But for real new cars aren't nearly the terrible financial decision they were a few years ago. The used car market is strong, cars don't depreciate like they used to. All my friends that habitually buy several sub-$1k cars are perpetually breaking down. You buy a car to have a car, it is useful and it gets you places and serves an important role in life. It's not an investment. It should be thought of as a "what can I afford for lunch," not "how much can I resell my poo poo for later."

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
4) Cars are lame ride a motorcycle and embrace the everpresent possibility of death. :black101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

4) embrace the everpresent possibility of death. :black101:

Empty quoting this.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Switchback posted:

It's amazing that anybody survives in the third world, where people drive lovely mopeds with one hand and hold babies with the other! People walk places and don't die despite poor sidewalk infrastructure and much looser traffic laws. All old thirdhand cars too, they're real poo poo here.

It's almost like you could die or not die for billions of reasons every day, so don't worry about it. Live for joy, not fear! Also poop in buckets.

But for real new cars aren't nearly the terrible financial decision they were a few years ago. The used car market is strong, cars don't depreciate like they used to. All my friends that habitually buy several sub-$1k cars are perpetually breaking down. You buy a car to have a car, it is useful and it gets you places and serves an important role in life. It's not an investment. It should be thought of as a "what can I afford for lunch," not "how much can I resell my poo poo for later."

Honestly, why would anyone live in the USA where the COL is so high? In the third world you can get an amazing dinner from a restaurant for a buck. Its a great money saver.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Honestly, why would anyone live in the USA where the COL is so high? In the third world you can get an amazing dinner from a restaurant for a buck. Its a great money saver.

Hey now, don't go publicizing my backup retirement plan. It only works if few people do it.

Actually, I have this exact opinion about NYC and most of California. So I guess it's all relative in the end. I'm still right, though. :colbert:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just realized I haven't eaten out for lunch M-F for a few weeks now. :)

edit: Anyone else having issues checking mint this morning?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 16, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: Anyone else having issues checking mint this morning?
so radium works for mint now?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What's up shitlords? Counting down my days this week before vacation. Heading to the beach with ~30 other family members, pretty excited to have a week off of work and get to meet some of my cousin's kid's I've never met before.

We saved what is hopefully all our spending money needed ahead of time, so it'll be easy on June's budget too :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

What's up shitlords? Counting down my days this week before vacation. Heading to the beach with ~30 other family members, pretty excited to have a week off of work and get to meet some of my cousin's kid's I've never met before.

We saved what is hopefully all our spending money needed ahead of time, so it'll be easy on June's budget too :)

Stared at vacation deals with the wife wrestling with the idea that we could have a week in Jamaica for $800 all-in. We opted to maybe go camping instead since we have an annual pass to the nearby national park. It's lean times here because we have two weddings to go to in August (same province, same weekend, so we're lucky that way).

Folly
May 26, 2010
Is Mint screwed up for anybody else?

Every single transaction that I've split shows up twice in the Trends section. It shows up as both the original, unsplit transaction and again as the split transaction.

Oddly enough, it does NOT show up twice in the budget section. So I don't want to the extras as duplicates. I don't know what else it will screw up.

For a second there, it looked like my spending was at about 150% of reality for the past few months. It was a real shock there for a second.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Got a new, better job!!

Yay.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Got a new, better job!!

Yay.
Yay, congrats!!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Congratulations! What's the job?

Spending news: bought a couple packs of cards for wedding invites yesterday from Michaels, $20. So far I'm at $743 for wedding venue (273), dress (450) and now invites. Going to spend more on a screen to do the screenprinting on them, then watercolor them in by hand. I'm actually really excited about the invitations because I get to make a pretty thing :) Looking around for reception places now for a lunch reception, I'm guessing that will be the main expense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Much like we do with our spending, wife and I are starting to track our car mileage, trip by trip, in the hopes of gradually reducing it and using our bikes more. More money saved, more exercise.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

moana posted:

Spending news: bought a couple packs of cards for wedding invites yesterday from Michaels, $20. So far I'm at $743 for wedding venue (273), dress (450) and now invites. Going to spend more on a screen to do the screenprinting on them, then watercolor them in by hand. I'm actually really excited about the invitations because I get to make a pretty thing :) Looking around for reception places now for a lunch reception, I'm guessing that will be the main expense.

Please keep posting this stuff! Very interested in hearing about wedding costs in a BFC mindset.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Monthly payment just dropped $23 bucks (Hey it's half a tank of gas) by switching insurance companies and combining my cars. Not bad.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 18, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

Please keep posting this stuff! Very interested in hearing about wedding costs in a BFC mindset.

Ours was 6k including 2400 for airfare.

IIRC it was like:

300 for pig roast
100 for invites and thank you notes (we splurged for einvitations and RSVP tracking), postage sucks.
200 for clothes
400 for drinks
600 for jp and licensing

And like a billion miscellaneous things like makeup and poo poo.

We got lucky with the venue and did it at the cottage, we only had 50 guests, and many gifts were people's skills. One of our friends is a baker, he made the cake, that kind of thing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

2011: $7,800 total in Massachusetts for 65 guests, including dress, tux, venue, buffet catering and reception. Paid cash, felt like royalty. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
$10k including the ring (3k), cruise tickets, actual wedding costs and the honeymoon. My wife borrowed a friend's dress and I rented a tux for my brother and I.

We just tell everyone it was a higher end cruise liner than it was because the pictures turned out great.