Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
While it's not bad to have certs it does stand out to have a CCNP with zero experience (not in good way). Can you give an example of what types of jobs you are applying for? If I had to guess, you might be shooting too high for something entry level, experience speaks for alot in this industry and hiring can be warry of somebody with a cert like a CCNA without anything live to back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm not having any luck in getting interviews with a CCNA so far. I'm probably going to get at least one in the next few months, but how bad does it look if I study for a CCNP with no experience? (I'm by far most interested in the actual routing and switching part of networking, I'm self-studying for the CCNA Security, and it's such a bore, while I absolutely love reading the ROUTE guide, which some have called the most boring book ever made).

what the hell is your email address?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm not having any luck in getting interviews with a CCNA so far. I'm probably going to get at least one in the next few months, but how bad does it look if I study for a CCNP with no experience? (I'm by far most interested in the actual routing and switching part of networking, I'm self-studying for the CCNA Security, and it's such a bore, while I absolutely love reading the ROUTE guide, which some have called the most boring book ever made).

I have a hunch it probably has less to do with your lack of a CCNP, and more to do with something else, such as your resume, the positions you're applying to, the area you live in (this is a big one), or the way you're presenting yourself in email correspondence.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was ridiculously late to an exam today.

Appointment Time: 13:00:00
Appointment Duration (HH:MM): 2:30

Ok, test's at two thirty, I'll try to get there around 2, maybe a little early and I'll review my notes in my car.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Bombed the exam - 256 out of 500. Need 300 to pass. I got hammered on the networking and storage portions. Not one single loving question about theoretical stuff like what licensing would you need to get if you want this particular feature. No minimums or maximums. 40 questions about practical knowledge and troubleshooting of storage and networking. The study guides I used were all a loving joke. I really need to sit down and re-evaluate my current setup so I can do a nested ESXi layout and maybe grab a NAS device to serve as a poor man's SAN, because my lab in Workstation just did not cut it.

And not that it's an excuse, but when I rescheduled the exam a month or so ago I managed to change the testing site, so I arrived 20 minutes early at the wrong site, find out the correct one is on the other side of town, hit every red light on the way, and show up 15 minutes late pissed as hell and completely unsettled. I knew everything was going to pot the moment the girl at the wrong site told me "I'm sorry, but you're not on our list today."

Well, at least I know that I suck at storage - that's got to be worth at least 60 points right there.

DAF - you mentioned you might be able to hook me up with a discount voucher. Any chance of that still?

PM me where you live the have 50mi radius from my zip

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

psydude posted:

I have a hunch it probably has less to do with your lack of a CCNP, and more to do with something else, such as your resume, the positions you're applying to, the area you live in (this is a big one), or the way you're presenting yourself in email correspondence.

I'd hope my resume isn't bad considering I spent money on it, but that might be possible. The problem I've been finding is that real junior networking positions seem to be somewhat rare, and IT position terminology is at the point where I'm not really sure where I should be looking (network administrator/network technician/NOC technician/NOC support/etc show up in my search history, and it still seems like I'm missing something). A lot of the positions seem to be looking for some jack-of-all-trades support guy who can effortlessly transition from working on network issues to doing SysAdmin stuff (the amount of CCNA/MCSA Required positions I've seen is surprising). I have no interest in Sysadminning.

I'm in VA, which has a lot of IT, and a lot of government contractors. I have an inactive Secret, which is better than nothing, I guess. With six years of development experience, I'd like to skip helpdesk if possible, but I've grown discouraged in the last month since getting the CCNA.

FWIW, this is the type of position I've been applying for, but I've started sending out resumes to non-salaried helpdesk positions that seem to have an emphasis on networking.

https://careers-chesbank.icims.com/jobs/1012/network-administrator/job

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
can you please send me your email @ corvetefish3r@gmail.com

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Anyone have any experience with GIAC Certified Forensics Examiner? I'm taking the test here in the next few weeks. I took SANS FOR408, seemed pretty straight forward. The test is open book, multiple choice, 115 questions and only 71% to pass. I can't imagine it's a hugely difficult test.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Welp, I'm glad that I passed the CCNP ROUTE exam, but not happy with the score. It doesn't coincide with the percentages that I received, and doesnt accurately represent the amount of time that I spent in studying. I kept track of the questions that I got wrong/didn't know the answer to, and also the ones that I was 100% for sure, final answer, bet my life on, correct.

What concerns me is that 8 questions in, I started getting Adobe Flash scrpiting errors. The exam had to be closed out and resumed. Even though I was able to resume the exam right where it left off, one of the questions that I got further down in the exam was a repeat question. In another testing environment, in another city, I experienced issues with loading up a Cisco exam, and earlier than that, a fellow co-worker/friend and I went and took our CCNA at the same time. He had to wait a good 30 minutes because the exam failed to start, and a phone call had to be placed with Pearson Vue in order to correct the problem.

Why can't Pearson Vue get their poo poo together and provide a seamless testing experience? On another note, does Cisco believe in a resolution bigger than 800x600?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you spent as much time studying and learning the material as you say, then your score is irrelevant. You still passed the test and you still know the material.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

If you spent as much time studying and learning the material as you say, then your score is irrelevant. You still passed the test and you still know the material.

Yeah, this is true. I'm just the type of person that wants a accurate physical representation of how well I did, and I didn't get it on this exam. The overall result, passing, is what I wanted though, so I can take a break from almost 4 years of educational courses and self studying for certs and poo poo.

Case in point: While transitioning between versions of Blackboard for my college, I lost one of the final scores of my class. I had to call different departments and talk to several people as they tried to recover it. Sure, I passed the class, but I wanted that silly little number in order to make myself proud; a number that grows more and more insignificant.

And, psydude, aside from the lab, I only got 1 other question about route maps. :) But, I know them inside and out, so thanks for helping me to recap pages and pages back.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, dumbass question: What's the difference between a training guide and an exam reference?

edit: never mind, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/10/24/where-s-my-training-kit-for-windows.aspx

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 12, 2014

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Hi goons I could use some certification/career advice.

My background is I have an Associates Degree in IT. I tried and failed to get my CCNA in 2009 and had some motivation/depression issues after that. I picked up my A+ in 2010 and basically did 3 years of technical support for a couple lovely software companies. This year I turned 31 and decided to get serious about IT. I took a contract job where I'm doing desktop support at a large company for the past 5 months. I'm also preparing to take my Net+ which I think I can get done in the next few weeks. My contract will most likely be ending soon and I've decided to move to the RTP area because I think there is a better job market there and I have a friend there I can be room-mates with.

I like the idea of being a Linux Systems Administrator but I'm unsure of how to get there. I have a very basic understanding of Linux; I run Ubuntu on my home desktop and I know a little BASH but that's it. At my level would it be worthwhile for me to work on the Linux+ or does it make more sense to go right for the RHCSA? Should I bother getting something like the CCNA or any Microsoft cert? Is moving somewhere to find work with only a A+, Net+, AA degree, and some experience a really horrible idea assuming I have enough savings to last 6 months or so? I'm hoping I can land a helpdesk/desktop support job while I work on my goals.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
So to interrupt my S+ training my new manager is asking me to take the 70-413 exam. Anyone know of some good training material? I have never taken a Microsoft exam before either.

edit:
http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/496.413-designing-and-implementing-a-server-infrastructure.aspx

Found this in my search, yays nays?

Parlett316 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
70-413 is not an exam to take as your first Microsoft exam. Your boss is trying to get you killed.

The R2 books for 70-413 and 70-414 are not even out yet, and even when they do come out, based on page count alone they won't be nearly enough to pass the exam. I think you need to go to the official exam website and look at objectives, then memorize Technet re: those topics.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 13, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, why wouldn't he start you in 70-410?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
loving great. I have no idea, is there a learning track I can push back and say hey, I should probably do this and this?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Tell him that 70-413 is an expert level exam which builds on the knowledge gained in 70-410, 70-411 and 70-412 and that you and the company would be better served by working through the track in the intended order.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Tell him that 70-413 is an expert level exam which builds on the knowledge gained in 70-410, 70-411 and 70-412 and that you and the company would be better served by working through the track in the intended order.

Yeah, basically do this first: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks, I appreciate the work days where my skull doesn't get bashed in.

edit:

Wow, that was easy, soooo anyone have any good study material for 70-410.

Parlett316 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 13, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'd hope my resume isn't bad considering I spent money on it, but that might be possible. The problem I've been finding is that real junior networking positions seem to be somewhat rare, and IT position terminology is at the point where I'm not really sure where I should be looking (network administrator/network technician/NOC technician/NOC support/etc show up in my search history, and it still seems like I'm missing something). A lot of the positions seem to be looking for some jack-of-all-trades support guy who can effortlessly transition from working on network issues to doing SysAdmin stuff (the amount of CCNA/MCSA Required positions I've seen is surprising). I have no interest in Sysadminning.

I'm in VA, which has a lot of IT, and a lot of government contractors. I have an inactive Secret, which is better than nothing, I guess. With six years of development experience, I'd like to skip helpdesk if possible, but I've grown discouraged in the last month since getting the CCNA.

FWIW, this is the type of position I've been applying for, but I've started sending out resumes to non-salaried helpdesk positions that seem to have an emphasis on networking.

https://careers-chesbank.icims.com/jobs/1012/network-administrator/job

There's an obscene amount of CCNA level work being done at Quantico. They just started a major Navy-wide overhaul and are picking up every IT person they can. Check HP and AT&T.

Recruiter exclusives just ended last week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e:^^^ No poo poo, within 10 seconds of me reading that post, an email came in from a recruiter regarding a bunch of IT openings at Quantico.

During a conversation today, a recruiter asked me, "So I see you have your CCNP. What's your timeline for getting your CCIE?" I was totally caught off-guard and answered "Oh, probably about two years." So, uh, yeah. CCIE by 27 or something. Not toxxing that poo poo, though.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 13, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

70-413 is not an exam to take as your first Microsoft exam. Your boss is trying to get you killed.

The R2 books for 70-413 and 70-414 are not even out yet, and even when they do come out, based on page count alone they won't be nearly enough to pass the exam. I think you need to go to the official exam website and look at objectives, then memorize Technet re: those topics.

Agreed. Holy poo poo. I've been managing Windows based networks for almost a decade and have a 2003 MCSE and MCITP:EA on 2008, and the 70-413 would still take me the better part of 3 months to cram and study for.

I suggest starting with the Windows 7/8 client exam, then building from there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Parlett316 posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the work days where my skull doesn't get bashed in.

edit:

I just took 70-410 and it kicked my rear end. You really need to know how it works, I'm probably going to do fine on attempt #2 but drat, it was disappointing to see the test and realize I was screwed.

The good news is they do a score breakdown by each of the objectives so you know what to study.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Parlett316 posted:

I think we're still waiting on books for the 2012 R2 stuff? Amazon says ships 2-4 weeks.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just took 70-410 and it kicked my rear end. You really need to know how it works, I'm probably going to do fine on attempt #2 but drat, it was disappointing to see the test and realize I was screwed.

Can you give some more info on your background and what tripped you up, mostly? I am wanting to take this relatively soon, and it doesn't SEEM too bad to me, but I worry I might be underrating it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AlternateAccount posted:

Can you give some more info on your background and what tripped you up, mostly? I am wanting to take this relatively soon, and it doesn't SEEM too bad to me, but I worry I might be underrating it.

I'm helpdesk. I've been doing this for about a year.

I read the relevant chapters in the Panek book and watched all the Pluralsight videos for 70-410. I've got a lab at home and at work and have installed servers quite a few times.

Hyper-V is 20% of the test. I did awful on that.
I did poorly on IPv6
Know how to do everything via console commands in addition to through the gui. There are a LOT of powershell/console questions.

A lot of the time, especially in a lab environment you're going to be using one or two domain controllers that do everything. On the test they're going to want to know stuff like when you'd want to troubleshoot the schema master and stuff.

Another thing to note, I was a little stressed out during the test:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was ridiculously late to an exam today.

Appointment Time: 13:00:00
Appointment Duration (HH:MM): 2:30

Ok, test's at two thirty, I'll try to get there around 2, maybe a little early and I'll review my notes in my car.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ha ok. Hm, that was the vibe I got from SOME practice tests, that Hyper-V and Powershell were perhaps overemphasized. I'll probably go for my first attempt within the next month, we'll see...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Ha ok. Hm, that was the vibe I got from SOME practice tests, that Hyper-V and Powershell were perhaps overemphasized. I'll probably go for my first attempt within the next month, we'll see...

They're emphasized on the test, but not so much in the prep material. Some Powershell is covered but I don't recall the questions I got on my exams being covered explicitly by my books. I wasn't using Panek, though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It is pretty obnoxious how they insist you know exact powershell commands off the top of your head, when autocomplete and a little OOPS, NO, IT'S THE OTHER THING will get you through in the real world. That kind of bullshit memorization is really obnoxious and has plagued MS tests for as long as I can remember.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

bullshit memorization is really obnoxious and has plagued MS tests for as long as I can remember.

Fixed.

Seriously, the amount of paranoid over-cramming I did for the MS exams and the questions I got led me into what are probably the most half-assed guesses I've had to make based upon ruling out the obviously wrong and coin-tossing between "best answers" makes me wish MS brought back the simulation questions from 2k3 and made them the entirety of the exam.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, after all my complaining I got an interview for a 45k/yr entry-level NOC position.

A face-to-face interview three hours away, but poo poo, I'll take it :toot:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

AlternateAccount posted:

It is pretty obnoxious how they insist you know exact powershell commands off the top of your head, when autocomplete and a little OOPS, NO, IT'S THE OTHER THING will get you through in the real world. That kind of bullshit memorization is really obnoxious and has plagued MS tests for as long as I can remember.

I ended up taking the 70-410 twice before I passed and both times thought the questions were very fair. Obviously you need to know the material, but none of the powershell stuff (which I did struggle with mightily the first time around) tried to trip you up on technicalities. What helped me the most was realizing that the powershell questions were often just a reading comprehension test where you need to understand what you're trying to accomplish and check that against the verbage (install-blahblah for installing a new thing versus set-blahblah for modifying an existing thing).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Was just sent to an ITIL 3-day class w/ cert test, pretty boring although interesting at the same time since my company utilized ITIL to form the basis for our helpdesk and projects that we handle for clients, so it was nice to kind of connect the dots and see the methodology behind it. Also it was free, my company paid for it all up front. Got my score back today and I passed, which is a relief, I was slightly nervous because of some of the odd questions and the fact that if I didn't pass I would have felt like a dumbass. It's my first cert and I actually forgot what a satisfying feeling it is to pass a test/class, this has ignited a fire in me to finish studying for the CCNA.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 14, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ITIL is one of he best current resume padders apparently. My coworker spent an afternoon reading up on it and passed with ease. HR and recruiters seem to get a hard-on for it.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Just curious what kind of jobs are looking for ITIL?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Paperwork obsessed ones.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Beginning my NCIE studying now that the NCDA is done. How many of you guys have any of these storage certs?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My school offered the 98-349 exam and 98-367 exam for free.

Today I took the 349 and passed. My 1st step into getting Microsoft certified. It was pretty easy. But I don't think I can easily pass 367, are there any tips or material online(free) to help me study? I have the PDF security fundamentals.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Well, after all my complaining I got an interview for a 45k/yr entry-level NOC position.

A face-to-face interview three hours away, but poo poo, I'll take it :toot:

Talk about virtualization and then get even basic virt certs. The Navy is big on that right now.

Do you have your security+ cert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Talk about virtualization and then get even basic virt certs. The Navy is big on that right now.

Do you have your security+ cert?

I'm testing for CCNA Security which is DOD-8570-approved next week.