Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The March Hare posted:

Yeah I'm just playing swiss to figure poo poo out. Played bog standard U/W skies to 3-0 and now I have an insane madness deck in U/G that I'm about to test out.

Your deck looked like my first VMA draft after 2 packs, then you got more good cards in your 3rd pack. I'm currently 1-1 in swiss with black/red aggro. I think I might have committed to Madness a little too soon in the first draft I did, the packs just weren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its a pretty slow, not terribly powerful format...most of the time:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a pretty slow, not terribly powerful format...most of the time:

Reminds me of the time I saw a guy power out Ironroot Treefolk on T1 when I phantom drafted Unlimited.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Anyone watching the SCG stream?

:siren: Modern alongside Legacy on Sundays at future SCG opens :siren:

These are just IQs, not a full-fledged SCG Open.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So a properly elevated and rotated Chaos Orb lands on a Progenitus, is Progenitus destroyed?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bugsy posted:

So a properly elevated and rotated Chaos Orb lands on a Progenitus, is Progenitus destroyed?

Yes. Touching isn't targeting.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

FordCQC posted:

Can you explain to the more retarded of us what the difference is? I'm really excited by this, I might be able to sneak in a few more larger modern events in a year with these.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

How many weeks until the Modern event is bigger than the Legacy?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
2-1 with U/G madness, diving in for a third draft now.

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Can you explain to the more retarded of us what the difference is? I'm really excited by this, I might be able to sneak in a few more larger modern events in a year with these.

An Open has a $10K prize pool, gets broadcast coverage and gives SCG Invitational invites to the top 8. An IQ is an Invitational Qualifier: lower prize pool, probably won't get as much coverage (at first?) and only the winner gets the invite.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The events at SCG Opens will be Premiere IQs, which have $5k in prizes and offer four spots in the Invitational.

Good way for SCG to start to pivot into Modern.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

FordCQC posted:

A quadruple IQ. Or a half Open.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The March Hare posted:

2-1 with U/G madness, diving in for a third draft now.

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

I pretty much tried to force U/G madness after opening a Trop in the first pack, but perhaps that wasn't a great idea because the picks never really materialized.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AnacondaHL posted:

SCG Ajar

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Yeah, I guess a half-Open is a good way of thinking of it. I thought of Classics as half-Opens, but they're way less relevant.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I pretty much tried to force U/G madness after opening a Trop in the first pack, but perhaps that wasn't a great idea because the picks never really materialized.

I opened a Counterspell and a Deep Analysis and tried forcing U/G madness, but the cards weren't there for it. I decided to stop forcing archetypes and just take the best removal and biggest creatures, which seems to be working OK. I also grabbed some sweet synergy with Animate Dead and cycling creatures, though.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Update on those 15 sample deck only cards:

quote:

Magic: The Gathering @wizards_magic
(Trick) A clarification on cards in #MTGM15 Sample Decks & not in boosters, they are also in the Deck Builder's Toolkits

Makes a bit more sense. The Toolkits are pretty good for beginning players.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I opened a Counterspell and a Deep Analysis and tried forcing U/G madness, but the cards weren't there for it. I decided to stop forcing archetypes and just take the best removal and biggest creatures, which seems to be working OK. I also grabbed some sweet synergy with Animate Dead and cycling creatures, though.

I'm just as bad at drafting VMA as I am in every other format. Financially speaking, drafting MTGO is equivalent to burning money for me because everyone on MTGO is better than I am at drafting. Its kind of fun to do every once in a while, but I guess I just don't "get" it.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
pack one pick one foil null rod, pick two Sulfuric Vortex.

vintage masters and i are going to be really good friends

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 13, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm just confused why thought it was that important to give the new players these specific cards that aren't really in M15. They couldn't design a starter deck without resorting to pulling out simpler cards on special order? Is M15 really that complicated a set?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Entropic posted:

I'm just confused why thought it was that important to give the new players these specific cards that aren't really in M15. They couldn't design a starter deck without resorting to pulling out simpler cards on special order? Is M15 really that complicated a set?

I'd like to think it's more to do with the limited environment. They wanted these cards in standard, but not actually in the boosters, either because they mess up limited play, or because it's like the millionth reprint. (I know some of the cards were specifically in M14, so I know I won't end up with more of them if I crack packs of M15.)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Maybe they wanted to make a limited environment that didn't involve Serra Angel et al.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Today's Travis Woo draft video on CFB is an all-time legendary limited deck.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Boco_T posted:

I can't stand his stupid voice. Maybe I'll see if YouTube has those automatic subtitles.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Finkle is about to draft VM if people want to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/jonnymagic00

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Boco_T posted:

I can attest to this. Also Owen's draft vid on CFB posted yesterday is equally nutty and highly recommended.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vomax posted:

I can't stand his stupid voice. Maybe I'll see if YouTube has those automatic subtitles.

You don't admire his undying devotion to Jeff Spicoli?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't think Vintage Masters is even that great of a value given its cost vs. regular packs simply because there's so many rares in the set, you're very unlikely to actually draft anything terribly good, which also makes drafting super variable because you might draft Yawgmoth's Will but you might draft a foil Fungusaur.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes. Whoever has the best resources on the board wins. The only thing you can do is draw down to Mutavaults.
You could possibly trigger heroic a bunch.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't think Vintage Masters is even that great of a value given its cost vs. regular packs simply because there's so many rares in the set, you're very unlikely to actually draft anything terribly good, which also makes drafting super variable because you might draft Yawgmoth's Will but you might draft a foil Fungusaur.

Yawgmoth's Will is on the lower end of value in Vintage Masters, it's more like the lottery chance of pulling a foil Black Lotus against that Yawgmoth's Will. In any case I find it a shitload of fun, it's honestly the best Limited I've played since 3X INN and that's including Modern Masters. There are so many unfamiliar cards and it's hard to wrap my head around the format, and the process of discovery is huge fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yawgmoth's Will is on the lower end of value in Vintage Masters, it's more like the lottery chance of pulling a foil Black Lotus against that Yawgmoth's Will. In any case I find it a shitload of fun, it's honestly the best Limited I've played since 3X INN and that's including Modern Masters. There are so many unfamiliar cards and it's hard to wrap my head around the format, and the process of discovery is huge fun.

I don't mean financial value, I mean being any good. Its not like there aren't plenty of jank rares in the set. If anything, playable rares are much harder to come by because with 140 cards in rare or higher tiers, you're highly unlikely to encounter any particular card.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Sharzak posted:

It's possible they just know numbers without being able to ID who drafted what.
With that being said what the hell are you doing

If you sign up for the Magic Online newsletter, you get personal factoids like your most drafted uncommons in Theros block, so they do have access to statistics on a per player basis.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Well I rolled into a Vintage Masters draft to play the Lotus Lottery, but I failed to get any value whatsoever. Let's hope my middling UG Madness can do something and get a pack or two...

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Entropic posted:

Who cares?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Well I rolled into a Vintage Masters draft to play the Lotus Lottery, but I failed to get any value whatsoever. Let's hope my middling UG Madness can do something and get a pack or two...

The problem with UG Madness is that everyone is trying to do it so you can't find Arrogant Wurms or Basking Rootwallas.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with UG Madness is that everyone is trying to do it so you can't find Arrogant Wurms or Basking Rootwallas.

I ended up with 1 Circular Logic, a Bouncer, 2 Rootwallas, a Wurm and 2 of that draw spell. Fingers crossed I can ride it to valuetown!

edit: Round 1 opponent has lost connection, looking good for a round 1 victory!

edit edit: I WIN! :dance:

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 14, 2014

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Any advice? I'm pretty bad, I think I'm overcommitting to cute archetypes instead of taking the strongest cards.

Listen to the Limited Resources podcast about the format. It won't give you everything you need, but it'll give you some good tools and criteria to work from for making card judgments.

edit: Here: http://lrcast.com/limited-resources-237-vintage-masters-primer-show/

mcnealys baby fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 14, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I just entered a Vintage Masters sealed and my opponent just cast a foil Mox Ruby, followed by Dack Fayden, followed by Demonic Tutor :wtc:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcnealys baby posted:

Listen to the Limited Resources podcast about the format. It won't give you everything you need, but it'll give you some good tools and criteria to work from for making card judgments.

edit: Here: http://lrcast.com/limited-resources-237-vintage-masters-primer-show/

Yeah, I did. I felt like I was trying too hard to force archetypes though, I do better just figuring out what are the strongest cards and going from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I just entered a Vintage Masters sealed and my opponent just cast a foil Mox Ruby, followed by Dack Fayden, followed by Demonic Tutor :wtc:

Kick his rear end anyway.

• Locked thread