Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Am I too late in saying ScienceAndMusic should get a Grom if he wants a small and light bike? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'd clean the carbs and replace the intake boot O-rings. They are known to cause air leaks when they get old and shrunken.
After that sync them and you should be golden. I daily (nearly) the same bike with almost 70k on it and it's a trooper.

No idea on piston ring manufacturers. Maybe see if you can find some NOS ones on eBay?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Mmm GS's. Bikes I know about.

red19fire posted:

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

I have this '83 Suzuki GS750E that I'm getting back running after putting it up for the winter. I followed CA's advice for storage and it seems like it's relatively rust free.

So, I replaced the spark plugs, drained the gas tank and carbs, and replaced them with fresh gas and a generous helping of sea foam. It starts on choke without starting fluid, runs up to 2500 rpm or so, then gradually drops back down to 0 and stalls out after about 15 seconds. Touching the choke or throttle cuts it out immediately. I think the most likely culprit is a clogged jet; when I drained the carbs the gas looked pretty nasty even though I treated it with sta-bil. It could also be an air leak because the throttle seems to kill the engine, but that could also be because it's on choke. A longshot is that the petcock is bad, it's one of those vacuum activated ones.

Any of you guys have any ideas? I want to exhaust my options before I pull the carbs.

Your pilot circuits are plugged. You have BS30SS's IIRC. Pull your float bowls, and remove the pilot jets, throw those in carb cleaner while you address the rest of the carbs. on the top of hte carbs, there will either be screws down some holes, or metal plugs. On the engine side. Those are the pilot screws, those need to be removed, the passages cleaned (with spray carb cleaner) and reset, to 2.5 turns out.

The choke keeps the bike running ,because the choke circuit is separate, but stops flowing fuel as soon as you open the throttle plate much past idle.

ChewedFood posted:

Hey I'm working on a project 83 gs750es!

My question to CA is this: what are some good and bad suppliers of piston ring sets?

Edit: I actually need a tech manual style book that will teach me everything about combustion engines. Like detailed descriptions and functions of the parts of air cooled motorcycle engines. Is that a thing?

What makes you think you need rings? Generally speaking, go with OEM. They are usually the best engineered parts out there, and aren't all that expensive. If the bike has less than 60,000 miles on it, the rings are probably still just fine.

Engines are engines. :-) Air cooled, water cooled, oil cooled (which yours is...) it's all the same poo poo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nerobro posted:

Mmm GS's. Bikes I know about.

Your pilot circuits are plugged. You have BS30SS's IIRC. Pull your float bowls, and remove the pilot jets, throw those in carb cleaner while you address the rest of the carbs. on the top of hte carbs, there will either be screws down some holes, or metal plugs. On the engine side. Those are the pilot screws, those need to be removed, the passages cleaned (with spray carb cleaner) and reset, to 2.5 turns out.

The choke keeps the bike running ,because the choke circuit is separate, but stops flowing fuel as soon as you open the throttle plate much past idle.

Thanks, I figured as much. Can I do this without removing the carbs from the engine? I hate that :effort: What would you recommend for a 90 degree screwdriver to get the 2 and 3 bowls off?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I doubt you could get them apart with them installed.
You may be able to get the outer ones apart but not the inners.
I'd also grab a set of the little rubber plugs that go under the pilot jets (you can get them on eBay for around $10).
They disintegrate after millions of years of soaking in fuel and will make it a bitch to get them back together.
Also, I would definitely replace those intake boot o-rings. My idle got quite a bit better when I did mine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

Am I too late in saying ScienceAndMusic should get a Grom if he wants a small and light bike? :v:

I knew it to be something good when I skip town for a few days and a thread racks up 250 new posts

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Collateral Damage posted:

I unironically think the grom is rad! :colbert:

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
The dude who sold me my CBR left work right after he'd handed me the keys. Hopped on his Grom and wheelied off into the sunset. It was weird to be sitting on a brand new 600 and feel a little jealous of the guy on the 125. The Grom is extremely cool.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

red19fire posted:

Thanks, I figured as much. Can I do this without removing the carbs from the engine? I hate that :effort: What would you recommend for a 90 degree screwdriver to get the 2 and 3 bowls off?

Check your idle adjuster first. It's possible it's just backed out all the way and when you take it off choke it closes entirely.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Changing both my brake pads (and front line) this weekend for the first time. Should I change just one, ride it through the bed-in period, and then change the other? Cause the packaging is like :supaburn: REDUCED BRAKE PERFORMANCE DURING BED-IN, YOU GONNA DIE :supaburn:

p.s. I know you should only change one at a time and then test it. Bed-in is like 250 miles according to the packaging.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That seems like a lot of extra hassle. Change your pads and ride conservatively for a little bit.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sounds good, just wanted to make sure.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd play it safe and change one at a time while riding it to the full bed in procedure. You also might want to revert back to your engine break in procedure while you do it, just to be safe.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

nsaP posted:

I'd play it safe and change one at a time while riding it to the full bed in procedure. You also might want to revert back to your engine break in procedure while you do it, just to be safe.

I like to put my bike on a front stand and spin the wheel really hard and slam on the brakes just to be safe. I feel it helps with the bed in procedure. For the rear, you can just use the engine to spin the wheel while you mash the rear brake pedal which is a lotttt easier.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

M42 posted:

Changing both my brake pads (and front line) this weekend for the first time. Should I change just one, ride it through the bed-in period, and then change the other? Cause the packaging is like :supaburn: REDUCED BRAKE PERFORMANCE DURING BED-IN, YOU GONNA DIE :supaburn:

p.s. I know you should only change one at a time and then test it. Bed-in is like 250 miles according to the packaging.

Get some scotchbride pads or 400 grit sand paper and scrub your rotors using brake cleaner from your nearest Autozone equivalent. Then go do some slow, long drawn out stops and avoid any hard braking.

You need to remove the old pad and put the new grains in your rotors. What kind did you get?

edit: do all the pads at the same time.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 14, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I know a guy who replaced both pads at the same time, RIP homie.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

drat, gonna have to keep a tally of both/one at a time votes now.

xaarman posted:

What kind did you get?

Sintered HH front, organic kevlar rear. Packaging says the bed-in period is the same for both new and used/grooved rotors, so :effort: wrt sandpaper

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

With the blistering power of a Ninja 250 you can never be too careful, until you fully bed those new pads in I wouldn't go past 30 MPH, I'd carry an emergency parachute with me just to be safe though.

or just ride conservatively until you get a feel for your new pads, whatever's easier

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pretty sure the guys at the dealer told me a brake job would take four days so they could change the pads one at a time and give them a break in period between.

Something about playing some smooth jazz and giving them a candlelight bath so they're feeling relaxed and at maximum power when I got my bike back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So like if all this long time interval stuff when bedding the pads in is true, why can you take your car to the mechanic and get the brakes done in two hours and drive it home pretty much normally that day? Are motorcycle pads different? Or is it just that, like all other motorcycle work, you need to be extra careful because the consequences of failure are that much greater?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, all of this is retarded. Put the pads in your bike. Ride off up the road to like 100km/h and repeatedly just jump on the brakes until they come right. Sage the reason you can just drive home from the mechanic's is because the mechanic does that part for you.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

No, all of this is retarded. Put the pads in your bike. Ride off up the road to like 100km/h and repeatedly just jump on the brakes until they come right. Sage the reason you can just drive home from the mechanic's is because the mechanic does that part for you.

This. Car mechanics do it for you. Just do all your pads at once, go give it the beans and jump on the brakes a few times and it'll be sweet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
She's got HH pads going in too... The magic of them doesn't come alive until you're getting the brakes track hot. Lever feel changes dramatically when up to temp and they gain a shitload of grip. poo poo feels wooden on the street.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've used them on the road before. They got stronger when hot but I didn't feel that they were wooden. They were in my old 919 and they were a sight better than the ferodo sintered pads in my current 919, which I need to get rid of ASAP.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
I must be some kind of psycho because I changed my front and rear tires and brake pads all at the same time and then went on an all day ride. I've never heard of replacing pads one at a time but I guess never really researched it either.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Oglogoth posted:

I must be some kind of psycho because I changed my front and rear tires and brake pads all at the same time and then went on an all day ride. I've never heard of replacing pads one at a time but I guess never really researched it either.

This is what everyone who isn't a dealer that can get more $$ out of you does.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What does everyone like to use to clean stainless headers and pipes? I had good results today with wet sanding with 400 grit working my way up to 1500. I would have had even better results withs 2000 grit. Afterwards I used mother's mag and aluminum polish with great results. But if there's something better I'd like to know cuz the midpipe is going tno be a bitch. This took me the better part of 3 hours.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shimrod posted:

This is what everyone who isn't a dealer that can get more $$ out of you does.

Yeah, I just got new pads a while back and while the brakes did suck serious rear end at first it wasn't an issue at all. It was like stopping in a car.

Just go easy for the first 1-10mi and you won't kill yourself? Try not to treat city streets like a drag strip?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sagebrush posted:

So like if all this long time interval stuff when bedding the pads in is true, why can you take your car to the mechanic and get the brakes done in two hours and drive it home pretty much normally that day? Are motorcycle pads different? Or is it just that, like all other motorcycle work, you need to be extra careful because the consequences of failure are that much greater?

Oglogoth posted:

Slavvy posted:

LOL

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah apparently this wasn't blindingly obvious but everyone saying to change 1 pad at a time was messing around. Change all your pads at the same time then ride conservatively until you've been able to do some hard braking from 60 or so.

Cripes.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

astrollinthepork posted:

What does everyone like to use to clean stainless headers and pipes? I had good results today with wet sanding with 400 grit working my way up to 1500. I would have had even better results withs 2000 grit. Afterwards I used mother's mag and aluminum polish with great results. But if there's something better I'd like to know cuz the midpipe is going tno be a bitch. This took me the better part of 3 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNuecgpQOAk

http://www.amazon.com/YOSHIMURA-Abrasive-stainless-Muffler-Cleaner/dp/B003SBW448

Thank me later.

** Oh whoops didn't realize this wasn't available domestically anymore, that $67 price tag is nuts. This is a cheaper alternative http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-F...+keepers+friend

HNasty fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 14, 2014

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Nerobro posted:

What makes you think you need rings? Generally speaking, go with OEM. They are usually the best engineered parts out there, and aren't all that expensive. If the bike has less than 60,000 miles on it, the rings are probably still just fine.

Engines are engines. :-) Air cooled, water cooled, oil cooled (which yours is...) it's all the same poo poo.

Well i disassembled everything to check for rust because the oil was very emulsified and sitting for ten years like that. So obviously i removed the cylinder and according to every mechanic ever if you take the piston out of the cylinder you better be putting new stuff back in.

The book would be very helpful to me. I learned my job in the navy (nuclear machinist) by reading obsessively detailed books that describe the purpose of every little piece of every little component and the mechanics behind how it accomplishes its purpose. So any Navy guys out there: know of a reactor-plant-manual-specific book about combustion engines?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Pretty sure your best bet is going to be getting a workshop manual for your bike.

Also being a "Nuclear Machinist" sounds loving ballin'

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ChewedFood posted:

nuclear machinist

Whoa! That would be an interesting ask/tell thread, although I'm sure it's mostly hush hush.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Is pulling in the cluch and coasting while at highway speeds going to damage anything? I do it from time to time to rest my throttle hand, just wondering.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Is pulling in the cluch and coasting while at highway speeds going to damage anything? I do it from time to time to rest my throttle hand, just wondering.

Won't cause any mechanical problems but it's pretty bad form.

TBH you're probably better off looking at why your throttle hand needs a rest - you're almost certainly gripping too hard and/or have your controls set up wrong. Basically if you're going along normally just the weight of your hand on top of the throttle should be more than enough to stop it closing (try it out with the bike standing still and turned off).

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Did 150 miles over 3-4 hours, lot of it was twisties and scenic sweepers through the mountains. I've been concentrating on my posture and making sure my arms and grip are loose but I was still starting to feel it near the end. It's the downhill parts where I catch myself putting too much weight on my wrists, especially under braking.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Pretty sure your best bet is going to be getting a workshop manual for your bike.

Also being a "Nuclear Machinist" sounds loving ballin'

I was thinking an ASE course book maybe.
I've learned a lot just reading various machinist literature on the internet so far.
like did you know that cylinders will have to be honed to a different finish (using the Ra scale which is something we use at work) based on the material of the top ring (chrome, molybdenum, nitride)?

Ola posted:

Whoa! That would be an interesting ask/tell thread, although I'm sure it's mostly hush hush.

Goons in platoons has a Navy nuclear propulsion thread that is basically that

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 14, 2014

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

I might be a bit screwed here.

The mechanic has had my bike for 12 days, and I feel like I've placed myself in a weak position. I didn't get a quote from him and I don't know exactly what he is doing on the bike. All he has told me is that he needed to rebuild the carburetors because they were nasty and that the tank is full of rust.

I'm afraid that he is going to charge me out the rear end for whatever he feels like doing to the bike, and is going to take his sweet motherfucking time to do so. What can I do? The guy working on the bike has been "with a customer" or "unable to talk" the last 4 times I've called, and won't call me back. The mechanic is 45 minutes away from where I live, so visiting in person just to talk to him again is a bit out of the question.

I'm seriously considering trying to figure out how to get the bike to a different mechanic.

mainks fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
I would be down there asking him for a detailed write up (with estimates of the cost) of what he is doing (as far as the carb rebuild and cleaning the tank), as well as leaving instructions that he is to call you and get authorization, before performing any additional work. You should never give a shop a "blank check", unless you have very deep pockets.