Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lawen posted:

Don't skip the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from the mid-aughts. I'm two months into a Marvel Unlimited subscription and it's the best thing I've read thus far.

Speaking of which, I've been using this reading order guide from ComicBookHerald. I've read all the pre-Avengers Dissembled stuff, Dissembled, Secret War, and am currently reading House of M. Curious if anyone has thoughts on that guide, knows of a better one, or sees any gaps that I shouldn't miss. He recently added character/team reading guides which should fill in some non-event stuff that I wasn't too sure about, so that should help.
There's one in the OP :mad:

e: Jesus don't read event tie-ins, whatever you do. Most of them are crap. If you're just reading through Avengers (which is the sort of "core" from which the events spring from), you can read those tie-ins, but as things progress they get progressively less good and more like filler (Secret Invasion, I'm looking at you). While the occasional tie-in from other books might be worth reading, as a whole I wouldn't bother too much.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some of the Avengers tie-ins during Secret Invasion are well worth reading because they set up Secret Warriors :)

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

irlZaphod posted:

There's one in the OP :mad:

e: Jesus don't read event tie-ins, whatever you do. Most of them are crap. If you're just reading through Avengers (which is the sort of "core" from which the events spring from), you can read those tie-ins, but as things progress they get progressively less good and more like filler (Secret Invasion, I'm looking at you). While the occasional tie-in from other books might be worth reading, as a whole I wouldn't bother too much.

I saw the list in the OP but frankly it didn't go back far enough and wasn't as comprehensive as I wanted. I mostly stopped reading Marvel stuff in the late 90s and decided I'd use Unlimited as a chance to go back and check out pretty much everything I'd missed. Some of it has been pretty lovely (I still can't stand the Fantastic Four), some has been surprisingly great (Dan Slott's She-Hulk, JMS' Dr Strange). But I basically want to read everything from the last 15 years that's at all good or "important", and I want to do it more-or-less chronologically.

Edit: seriously, volume of stuff to read isn't a concern. Just did the math and I've read something like 7500-8000 pages of Marvel stuff in the past 2 months. I'm really shooting for a comprehensive survey of the Marvel Universe rather than just hitting the high points. That said, I'd prefer to skip the truly terrible stuff (kinda wish I'd skipped the Gwen Stacy had Norman Osborne's babies Spider-Man story as well as Bruce Jones' racist dialogue-filled Kingpin miniseries).

Lawen fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

I still can't stand the Fantastic Four.

What have you tried?
If you've tried Jonathan Hickman's series, then I dunno what to tell ya, but if you haven't...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lawen posted:

I saw the list in the OP but frankly it didn't go back far enough and wasn't as comprehensive as I wanted. I mostly stopped reading Marvel stuff in the late 90s and decided I'd use Unlimited as a chance to go back and check out pretty much everything I'd missed. Some of it has been pretty lovely (I still can't stand the Fantastic Four), some has been surprisingly great (Dan Slott's She-Hulk, JMS' Dr Strange). But I basically want to read everything from the last 15 years that's at all good or "important", and I want to do it more-or-less chronologically.
I didn't bother going back further because typically people come in here for one of two things:
1) "I've read <X> by Writer <Y> and really enjoyed it. What else would I like by that Writer, or another writer?"
2) "I want to start reading <Z> but I'm a big babby and I'm so confused! Where do I start?"

From 2000 or so, Marvel started slowly improving, you had stuff like Morrison's X-Men, JMS' Spider-Man and Bendis' Daredevil. With regards to the Avengers they were just sort of in this pattern of being passed from one mediocre creative team to another until Bendis relaunched them and raised the book's profile. While Disassembled was fairly crap itself, it definitely had a positive result because out of it there was Ellis's Iron Man, Brubaker's Cap, Bendis' Avengers, when those books (except maybe Cap) had barely been worth reading for years. They were all pretty fresh starts, new #1's, very accessible and while they weren't reboots in any sense of the word, you could pick up Captain America #1 and figure out what the Red Skull's deal was, who Sharon Carter was, etc.

Marvel started taking a few more risks, and occasionally a bit of a "Let's throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" approach, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't (I felt that they sometimes flooded their line-up with new books and never gave any of them a chance to survive).

I'd steer clear of "important" stories because that word applies very loosely, something which seems important today can suddenly be irrelevant in 6 months time. Again, I stopped reading Bendis' Avengers around Siege because it just stopped being enjoyable. I literally do not know what happened between Siege and the end of Fear Itself, and I don't really care because I'm reading Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and loving the poo poo out of it, and hardly any of it references Bendis' stuff aside from the Illuminati and maybe a couple of other things. Bendis' run was great at first, but he just kept changing the status quo every 6 months and it eventually just became "Brian Bendis builds up to the next Summer crossover event, featuring the New Avengers".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

quote:

With regards to the Avengers they were just sort of in this pattern of being passed from one mediocre creative team

You really think that Kurt Busiek and George Perez is a mediocre creative team?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I wasn't knocking the OP, it just wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I'm definitely cross-referencing it though to make sure I'm not missing anything notable.

That said, I keep hearing about how Dissembled started the modern Marvel era of frequent, huge events and got the impression that they're all pretty much required reading. Good to know that if I'm hating something I won't be shooting myself in the dick if I just skip it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

You really think that Kurt Busiek and George Perez is a mediocre creative team?
After the Busiek/Perez relaunch, I mean.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

After the Busiek/Perez relaunch, I mean.

It was really just a quick Geoff Johns run that is most famous for Antman spelunking and then followed by Chuck Austen's poo poo run. However, the truth was Avengers were in a stagnant place and Bendis really injected new life in the franchise. I also agree that the end of New Avengers volume 1 was the end of his good avengers run. The relaunched New Avengers and Avengers were just rehashes of things he already did, and he just seemed bored on the titles.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Teenage Fansub posted:

What have you tried?
If you've tried Jonathan Hickman's series, then I dunno what to tell ya, but if you haven't...

Actually, I mostly liked the 4 run where they got kicked out of the Baxter Building and had to get day jobs. I've hated pretty much everything else I've read but I'm only caught up to 2005. I really like Hickman's Image stuff though so you've given me hope.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I pick up any release whose cover catches me or the owners of my LCS recommend. Lately my favorites have been:

Jupiter's Legacy, about the broken children of the world's first superheroes. There's daddy issues and substance abuse and spectacular fight scenes There's very few issues so far but I look forward to it any time it shows up at my lcs.

Deadly Class, written by Rick Remender is about a homeless youth who is inducted into a school for assassins. It's set in the late 1980s, and the antihero's motivation is to kill Reagan.

Southern Bastards, a crime noir about the aging son of a sherriff who is thrust into his father's shoes. There's football, barbecue and the hillbilly mafia. It's only on the second issue, but I'm taken in by the fact that the writing is excellent and the protagonist is not some strapping vigilante like Frank Castle.

Pretty Deadly, whose first five issues are available by tpb. It's a fantasy western about the daughter of the grim reaper and her destiny. There's a great cast of characters and the art is fantastic.

Lastly, I bought the first issue of Nailbiter based on how gruesome the cover was. A military policeman in pursuit of his conspiracy-theorist friend trails the man to Buckaroo, Oregon, a town which has birthed sixteen serial killers. His search puts him in the path of the titular Nailbiter, an erudite psychopath very much in the same vein as Hannibal Lecter.

Edit: forgive me if I've failed any conventions for the thread and I'll correct them

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

Actually, I mostly liked the 4 run where they got kicked out of the Baxter Building and had to get day jobs. I've hated pretty much everything else I've read but I'm only caught up to 2005. I really like Hickman's Image stuff though so you've given me hope.

When you're up to the Dark Reign stuff, hop on Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, which is where Hickman starts.
The general consensus seems to be to skip right over Mark Millar's run which preceeds Hickman's. I did, so I can't actually speak to it.
I know there were overhanging concepts of Millar's that Hickman wrapped up, but I don't remember minding it too much.

After Hickman, Matt Fraction got Fantastic Four and FF. Fantastic Four did nothing for me, but 'FF', featuring a reserve team while the F4 were in space was amazing, and you can just skip right over the main series.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Hickman's FF was tough for me. I reread it but a lot of the sciency stuff went over my head. I did enjoy it overall but are having a similar problem with the Avengers now.

I'm just about to finish off the Fraction runs of F4 and FF and FF is pretty good but F4 hot really poor after a good start.

But my favourite of them all is James Robinson's current run.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
I want to get more into Marvel, but I don't know where to start. I've read plenty of Ultimate comics, but not much of the 616 universe, so I would appreciate it if you guys could recommend some good arcs/collections that are fairly recent, but don't rely too much on knowing the whole history of the Marvel universe. I'm specifically interested in Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers, but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MantisToboggan posted:

I want to get more into Marvel, but I don't know where to start. I've read plenty of Ultimate comics, but not much of the 616 universe, so I would appreciate it if you guys could recommend some good arcs/collections that are fairly recent, but don't rely too much on knowing the whole history of the Marvel universe. I'm specifically interested in Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers, but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

Hawkeye, Captain America by Bru, Thor by Aaron, Wolverine and X-men by Aaron, New X-men by Morrison,Venom by Rick Remender, Avengers and New Avengers by Hickman, by New Avengers by Bendis you may like. Journey into Mystery by Kieron Gillen. Fantastic Four by Waid, fantastic Four by Hickman, FF by Fraction. Iron Man by Fraction is also pretty good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

MantisToboggan posted:

The OP (well, Second Post) has all this info, but basically Spider-Man just relaunched with a new #1 so you can read that, the current Avengers & New Avengers series are fantastic, all of those you can read without knowing much. X-Men is maybe a little more complicated.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MantisToboggan posted:

Most of the series relaunched two years ago with new reader friendly volumes, so you can pretty much pick any character or team of interest and start on their last #1 without worrying about continuity.

That was called "Marvel NOW!" and just recently they've done a second round called "All-New Marvel NOW!'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Now

Getting a subscription here: https://marvel.com/unlimited/ is a great, cheap way to try them out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Opopanax posted:

You'll probably like Astro City too, or really any of Busiek's stuff. His wheelhouse is humanizing the whole superhero experience.

Gotham Central, too

Astro City is really really cool. Thanks for the recommendation. I've made it through the first couple of issues and both stories were really strong.

The whole Superhero who dreams of flying thing kind of resonated with me.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I just finished Remender's Uncanny X-Force and really liked it, and now I'm looking for a team series where they have a good mix of serious and humour? They don't have to be in equal proportions. Would prefer a more recent series. Other series I've like in a similar sense is Fraction's FF, Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Thor, God of Thunder and the new Deadpool stuff. I do have Unlimited but I don't mind buying issues.

Is Original Sin worth following? Civil War was my first event that I read, and then I read Fear Itself which turned me off events forever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Geektox posted:

I just finished Remender's Uncanny X-Force and really liked it, and now I'm looking for a team series where they have a good mix of serious and humour?

Peter David's X-Factor Investigations. The first 30 issues or so are really amazing. After that it fluctuates and continues to decline, but it's still one of my favourite modern runs. All of it's on Unlimited too, as I recall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do you know about Uncanny Avengers?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do you know about Uncanny Avengers?

Reading it now, and it's not exactly what I'm looking for, although it does seem pretty good so I'll follow it. It's really depressing so far.

I should add that Uncanny X-Force doesn't fit my criteria for "funny and serious", I asked for that because I need a bit of a palette cleanser

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Geektox posted:

Reading it now, and it's not exactly what I'm looking for, although it does seem pretty good so I'll follow it. It's really depressing so far.

I should add that Uncanny X-Force doesn't fit my criteria for "funny and serious", I asked for that because I need a bit of a palette cleanser

I just mentioned it because it's the extension of UXF, if you wanted any more of that. It gets more tied-in, but yeah. There's not much of a focus on humor without Deadpool on the team.
Try Nextwave: Agents of HATE, Superior Foes of Spiderman and current Ms. Marvel.

As for events, Infinity was pretty great. You'll need to read all of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers up to that point, but I thought it was really successful.

e: How about DC's Dial H? It's about a fat schlub who chances on a telephone dial that transforms him into random bizarre superheroes.
It's really odd, creepy and heady, and has great stuff like the main character being trapped in a racist caricature

and a hero named Open Window Man who is given a pretty touching issue helping a child from a planet of living chalk drawings.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 12, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Dial H is really good. They touched on some really cool stuff like how the dials actually work which could have had big impacts in other books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is an extremely broad question but:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.

I know it isn't indie but Uncanny X-Force by Remender. Animal Man by Grant Morrison. Out of the Onmis I have that are complete series those are my favorite.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

There's a Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus coming out soon you should definitely look into.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

There are two Madman omnibus's and they are loving awesome. Allred is one of the best writers and artists in comics today. If you like his work then I also suggest X-Statix

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

There's an Invisibles omni out there, which is good and bad.
Good because the Invisibles is fantastic and should be read by everyone. Bad because the fucker is massive. It's the largest omni I believe put out by either of the big two.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I know it isn't indie but Uncanny X-Force by Remender. Animal Man by Grant Morrison. Out of the Onmis I have that are complete series those are my favorite.

I should've mentioned that I have an Unlimited sub, so I've read (or can read) more or less everything mainstream Marvel. I love the X-force stuff going back to the Kyle/Yost/Crain run. I've read that Animal Man run as well, but it would be a good series to own.

redbackground posted:

There's a Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus coming out soon you should definitely look into.

Yeah I've heard great things about that run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Hellboy and BPRD are both collected in hardcovers, though the early Hellboy ones may be going out of print.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

Hellboy and BPRD are both collected in hardcovers, though the early Hellboy ones may be going out of print.

Why would you say they are going out of print? They seem pretty readily available at the usual places. They are beautiful books and can be had pretty cheep. I wish the next BPRD HC would come out already. I burn through those things so fast.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What should I read if I want to know more about Corsair? I've got Cyclops #1 and #2 (which I still need to read ...), and I read the All-New X-Men/GotG crossover event, and I want to know more about this crazy space dad. Any important runs/issues I should be looking at?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sporklift posted:

Why would you say they are going out of print? They seem pretty readily available at the usual places. They are beautiful books and can be had pretty cheep. I wish the next BPRD HC would come out already. I burn through those things so fast.

Hm, seems you're right. For some reason, I thought that was a thing that was happening.

So yeah, grab those Hellboy Library Editions! $30 or for good comics!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What should I read if I want to know more about Corsair? I've got Cyclops #1 and #2 (which I still need to read ...), and I read the All-New X-Men/GotG crossover event, and I want to know more about this crazy space dad. Any important runs/issues I should be looking at?

The Starjammers were in Ed Brubaker's run on Uncanny X-Men, but it wasn't very good.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Uncanny X-Men #104 is the first appearance, with the "Cyclop's father" reveal in #154. X-Men in space has always been weird to me, especially as wikipedia seems to suggest that it only happened cause Marvel kept putting off publishing Cockrum's team of space pirates and he talked Claremont into writing them in with the connection to Cyclops.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

Hm, seems you're right. For some reason, I thought that was a thing that was happening.

So yeah, grab those Hellboy Library Editions! $30 or for good comics!

The Usagi books are going out of print to make room for the new omnibus format. Maybe you were thinkin' of those.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sporklift posted:

The Usagi books are going out of print to make room for the new omnibus format. Maybe you were thinkin' of those.

Are Dark Horse producing omnibus editions of the Usagi books they've published? I think Fantagraphics have done so for the stuff they've got the right to (but I'm not sure), but I've been put off going further than the end of the Fantagraphics run because so many of the DH trades seem to be pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Metal Loaf posted:

Are Dark Horse producing omnibus editions of the Usagi books they've published? I think Fantagraphics have done so for the stuff they've got the right to (but I'm not sure), but I've been put off going further than the end of the Fantagraphics run because so many of the DH trades seem to be pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

Books 1-7 are Fantagraphics who did put out a limited edition hardcover slipcase. It is awesome but they have said they have no plans to reprint it. The soft covers are still readily available. The Dark Horse run is being collected in the smaller omnibus size which I think sucks (like the Aliens books). Each book will probable collect 3 or so of the trades.

I have never understood Dark Horse's book sizing.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

A Tin Of Beans posted:

He and the Starjammers feature in the Phoenix Saga and Dark Phoenix saga. As mentioned, he was introduced there early in Claremont's run.

There's also Uncanny X-Men #391, which is a Cyclops/Corsair bonding issue.