Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

david_a posted:

Have they ever explained why they decided to base it off Prophet if it's 99% new anyway? Is it just an in-joke of turning a (presumably) terrible Liefeld franchise into something completely different?

I'm pretty sure Rob Liefeld came to Graham and asked him to do a thing and then stayed the gently caress away or something. So Liefeld has good taste and sounds like a pretty good boss.
He did something similar with Glory, which a lot of folks liked and it was neat, but not my thing, but that ended up ending after ~20 issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Yeah, I'm letting both Prophet and MIND MGMT stack up so that I read about 10+ issues at a time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm pretty sure Rob Liefeld came to Graham and asked him to do a thing and then stayed the gently caress away or something. So Liefeld has good taste and sounds like a pretty good boss.
He did something similar with Glory, which a lot of folks liked and it was neat, but not my thing, but that ended up ending after ~20 issues.

Yeah Image went up to a bunch of creators and said "here are some books do whatever you want" and on top of that Graham is a pretty big Liefeld fan.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I actually remembered to remove the Abe Sapien series from my pull list due to having a small haul this week. I don't know about you guys, but I find it both bafflingly slow-paced and plodding AND somehow hard to follow at the same time. The transitions between scenes and issues in the same arc are just so inelegant that it struggles to form a cohesive narrative.

It's a shame because the rest of the Hellboy/BPRD franchise is still going strong. I think BPRD in particular has been lately experiencing a second wind after making strides in fleshing out the rest of the BPRD as an organization. For a long stretch of time it was just Abe, Roger, Liz, and Sherman as the mainstays with a multitude of faceless, anonymous footsoldiers as background dressing, but now other field agents have been given the limelight. I have some reservations about how they've let the genie out of the bottle in other aspects of the story, but I've been enjoying the last couple of minis more than others of the recent past.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rat Queens is going animated

quote:

Image Comics' Rat Queens -- which earned IGN's Best Comic of the Month back in January, by the way -- is getting the animated series treatment, thanks to Weta Workshop's Pukeko Pictures and Heavy Metal.
For those out of loop (which you shouldn't be, because Rat Queens is awesome!), Kurtis J. Weibe and Roc Upchurch created the dark fantasy-comedy comic, which follows four miscreant maidens -- Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief -- who are hired to kill monsters and other such evils.
The studios plan on developing the books into a half-hour cartoon before pitching it to TV networks, Variety reports. Pukeko's Martin Baynton and Adam Fratto will produce the show, along with Heavy Metal's Jeff Krelitz. HM's David Boxenbaum and Rob Prior will executive produce.
"Rat Queens is a standout in the marketplace as a diving rod for fangirls, a market as yet untouched by most comics publishers," Krelitz said of the announcement. "It is not only perfect for the TV space, but much needed."
In addition to Rat Queens, Heavy Metal is also producing Peter Panzerfaust, another of Weibe's comics, in partnership with BBC Worldwide.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

moot the hopple posted:

I actually remembered to remove the Abe Sapien series from my pull list due to having a small haul this week. I don't know about you guys, but I find it both bafflingly slow-paced and plodding AND somehow hard to follow at the same time. The transitions between scenes and issues in the same arc are just so inelegant that it struggles to form a cohesive narrative.

It's a shame because the rest of the Hellboy/BPRD franchise is still going strong. I think BPRD in particular has been lately experiencing a second wind after making strides in fleshing out the rest of the BPRD as an organization. For a long stretch of time it was just Abe, Roger, Liz, and Sherman as the mainstays with a multitude of faceless, anonymous footsoldiers as background dressing, but now other field agents have been given the limelight. I have some reservations about how they've let the genie out of the bottle in other aspects of the story, but I've been enjoying the last couple of minis more than others of the recent past.

I hear you. I have the whole Mignola line on my pull list, and I'm thinking of dropping Abe. It's been slow and uninteresting, and the last issue was poorly done as well. I liked Scott Allie's vampire stories, which were also poorly received, but this last issue just lost me.

You're right. BPRD is really making gold out of some things I did not think would work, like Varvara and Iosef. I kind of wish the end was in sight, but it has been consistently good and evolving, so maybe that's fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, good on them!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Well that owns. I wonder how it'll translate. To be honest, for me it always felt like the most similar series to it is the tv show broad city so I could definitely see it workong out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

StumblyWumbly posted:

You're right. BPRD is really making gold out of some things I did not think would work, like Varvara and Iosef. I kind of wish the end was in sight, but it has been consistently good and evolving, so maybe that's fine.

This is my biggest concern. Not that I'm so eager to see the end or I want them to stop making comics, it's just hard to predict if they can sustain their story at this level given recent developments in BPRD. Mignola has intimated that Hellboy might be stuck in Hell for quite a while, which could work out because there's plenty of stories to mine from the setting. But I think BPRD going into a similar holding pattern would be kind of weird because the world has already been pushed past the precipice. It already feels like the full stakes is on the line and we've reached the endgame at this point. I'm hoping they use the current premise to build towards something, not just idling in place in a tenuous status quo.

There's already been some signs of Mignola/Arcudi and co. spinning their wheels with the resurrection of Leopold, Karl, and now von Klempt in the latest issue. The refreshing lack of meaningless comic book death and resurrections has been a distinguishing mark for Hellboy and this series, so it's kind of worrisome to see it being used now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys are reminding me that I bought the first two (of 6) Hellboy library editions and I still haven't read any Hellboy ever. Love the movies though. I need to get into it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

You guys are reminding me that I bought the first two (of 6) Hellboy library editions and I still haven't read any Hellboy ever. Love the movies though. I need to get into it.

I think I've read like the first 4 trades, it's really good!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a huge Gillen/McKelvie fan, I've always thought their books were solid, but unremarkable. The Wicked + The Divine is easily their best work so far. Just a really awesome concept, and the characters are already super fun. Also the only time McKelvie stock faces haven't bothered me at all. This book has a ton of potential.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a huge Gillen/McKelvie fan, I've always thought their books were solid, but unremarkable. The Wicked + The Divine is easily their best work so far. Just a really awesome concept, and the characters are already super fun. Also the only time McKelvie stock faces haven't bothered me at all. This book has a ton of potential.

Okay, this is what I needed to hear. I *am* a Gillen/McKelvie fan, but the hype for this one had seemed so ridiculous I was worried. Now I'm happy and excited to pick this up.

edit: it was great! and great in a way that shows a ton of potential. this series is going to be a blast to follow.

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 19, 2014

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

onefish posted:

Okay, this is what I needed to hear. I *am* a Gillen/McKelvie fan, but the hype for this one had seemed so ridiculous I was worried. Now I'm happy and excited to pick this up.

How many unsubtle musical references does it make? I say this as a fan of their work, and in the knowledge that it was the actual premise of Phonogram, but gently caress me was some of Marvel Boy's music adoration in Young Avengers jarring.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

onefish posted:

Remember to do a ska-walk.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

CaptainApathyUK posted:

How many unsubtle musical references does it make? I say this as a fan of their work, and in the knowledge that it was the actual premise of Phonogram, but gently caress me was some of Marvel Boy's music adoration in Young Avengers jarring.

Almost none, Bowie gets name dropped and I think that's it.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Starsnostars posted:

Almost none, Bowie gets name dropped and I think that's it.

At the very least, there's a delightfully terrible Rolling Stones lyricdrop as well.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Also there are references to the Beatles. But they are subtle.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

A question I've had about Wicked and the Divine that I haven't been able to find anyone talking about anywhere (spoilers for the end of issue #1):

That was totally Laura who blew up the judge's head, right? Or am I misjudging it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nobby posted:

A question I've had about Wicked and the Divine that I haven't been able to find anyone talking about anywhere (spoilers for the end of issue #1):

That was totally Laura who blew up the judge's head, right? Or am I misjudging it?
Nobody knows. Judging from Lucifer being able to blow up the snipers heads by looking at them from afar, it was probably someone who was able to see the judge and see the moment Lucifer snapped their fingers.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'd say this is their most mature work yet. I also felt Phonogram was a little too dear with itself at times, but W&D's debut was quite strong.

It's been really cool seeing Gillen grow from video game reviewer to solid comics writer. I think his work at Marvel has been given short shrift, so it's nice that he and McKelvie can create something of this caliber for themselves.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
So The Goon came back this week after another long gap and it was pretty disappointing. Powell has said he's moving onto an intermittent schedule like some other Dark Horse books, only his offerings don't feel as substantive as, say, Hellboy is when it actually comes out. It feels like he's all but abandoned the promising new storyline he introduced almost two years ago. This latest issue was filled with a bunch of his tired standbys that never really cohered into anything interesting; I don't mind when Powell indulges in barfights and old timey characters, but that was literally all this issue was about. The last couple of issues have felt very much like old hat now when there was a time when this series was one of my favorites for its unexpected creativity.

In other continuing series news, Stray Bullets is still kicking loads of rear end. The only niggle I have is that Lapham's art skills seem to have deteriorated a bit. His lines aren't as crisp and his inkwork has become less elaborate compared to early issues, but I'll take any Stray Bullets I can get at this point. Lapham's writing is still superb (miles better than his work for hire stuff, if that's your only exposure to him) and he packs a lot of story into one issue. Granted, his issues are like one-third longer than the industry standard, but each one has this nice done-in-one trimness that's feeling more and more rare with ongoing comics.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

moot the hopple posted:

In other continuing series news, Stray Bullets is still kicking loads of rear end. The only niggle I have is that Lapham's art skills seem to have deteriorated a bit. His lines aren't as crisp and his inkwork has become less elaborate compared to early issues, but I'll take any Stray Bullets I can get at this point. Lapham's writing is still superb (miles better than his work for hire stuff, if that's your only exposure to him) and he packs a lot of story into one issue. Granted, his issues are like one-third longer than the industry standard, but each one has this nice done-in-one trimness that's feeling more and more rare with ongoing comics.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one bothered by the art; if it's a case of Lapham rushing to get the issues out on time, I think I speak for the majority of fans in that I'd prefer an issue every 6 weeks (or whatever), instead of four.

Having said that, every issue in the new run has been batshit crazy, and there's simply nothing on the market like it these days.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
East of West

I've been reading East of West since it's been released. I love that book, but now that it's semi-gone to shipping every 2 months I occasionally forget whats been going on. I decided to re-read the entire series. Holy. poo poo. I can't wait for the next issue because the way #13 ended...holy gently caress. It's a really great book that I highly recommend.

Sex Criminals

I found issue 6 to be really depressing compared to the rest of the issues. I know the first story arc is over and all but I didn't like depressed John.

Southern Bastards
Being from Kansas City we love us some Jason Aaron. Southern Bastards I'm kind of torn on, while I really like it, I don't really see where it's going after this story arc is over. I love Walking Tall and this comic book is Walking Tall with a comic book flair to it. Really good book.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SalTheBard posted:

Sex Criminals

I found issue 6 to be really depressing compared to the rest of the issues. I know the first story arc is over and all but I didn't like depressed John.
I think it makes sense honestly. Just because they escaped the sex police doesn't mean there aren't negative repercussions for what they were doing. John is realizing that now, but it's interesting how this seems to be going down a road of negative development for him.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sex Criminals is just amazingly real for a comic that was advertised as two of the biggest smart-asses in comics writing about people who rob banks while loving.

East of West is pretty much all style, but it's good style, so that's good. The plot is pretty much just Steve Shoots-a-lot looks for a MacGuffin, while awesome villains monologue against him and the human condition.

Caliban 3 came out, and it is still a creepy space mystery instead of a bucket of gore, so good on them. It's like Alien with different characters and this issue hinted at a backstory next issue.

I also picked up the Velvet TPB. Read the first issue, can't wait to get into it.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

lotus circle posted:

I think it makes sense honestly. Just because they escaped the sex police doesn't mean there aren't negative repercussions for what they were doing. John is realizing that now, but it's interesting how this seems to be going down a road of negative development for him.

It's incredibly of the moment. Suzie is exactly what we ask of female protagonists in our most popular entertainment right now, and Jon is exactly what we ask of male "protagonists" (with men, we're into nascent anti-heroes right now). Watching them bounce off of each other is so much fun.

EDIT: By which I mean to say, it's like it's two comics, one female-led and current and complete, the other male-led and current and complete, coming together and making one comic that feels like sex.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 4, 2014

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Anyone read Mail Order Bride? They've got a used copy at Hastings and I was thinking of grabbing it, just because I had never seen it before.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So I watched that Image documentary last night and it was pretty good! They definitely glossed over some things and sugar coated a lot, but it's a nice history lesson. I still think Rob Liefeld is an irredeemable talentless d-bag, but his Todd McFarlane impressions was the best part of the movie. The same guys that made it made docs about Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis which are both really good. I saw the Morrison one when they toured around showing it.

On a whim after watching the doc I started reading Spawn for the first time ever. Spawn is a lame, dumb character, but I always heard the first 50 issues were pretty good. I'm 4 in and it's a fun, super cheesy, super 90's comic. I'm surprised by how often he breaks down and cries on the floor like a little bitch. I also watched a bit of the movie and boy is that still complete garbage. Even as a 7 year old I knew it sucked, but MAN does it stink.

I'm gonna keep reading Spawn. I wanna at least read the first 50 people always go on about.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't know about the first 50, but the first ten or so (outside number 1) were by huge talents.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

East of West

I've been reading East of West since it's been released. I love that book, but now that it's semi-gone to shipping every 2 months I occasionally forget whats been going on. I decided to re-read the entire series. Holy. poo poo. I can't wait for the next issue because the way #13 ended...holy gently caress. It's a really great book that I highly recommend.

Outside of Avengers/New Avengers, I only read Hickman stuff in trades. I'll also usually reread all the trades when a new one comes out, it's the only way I can really keep everything straight.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Outside of Avengers/New Avengers, I only read Hickman stuff in trades. I'll also usually reread all the trades when a new one comes out, it's the only way I can really keep everything straight.

Hickman's continuity is easy to follow if you just read the recaps!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just picked up the newest volume of Manhattan Projects and it seems like they've really lost any central thread. A lot of moving the pieces around and they killed one of the more interesting characters ... for what? Unless I'm mistaken, there's an encroaching alien invasion that's barely mentioned.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been reading through the works of the cartoonist Jason (aka John Arne Sæterøy) lately. He's always been on my peripheral but I finally bought a couple of his books off Amazon because I had some leftover credit. I'm now completely hooked, these are some seriously charming funnybooks. It's kind of hard to nail down their exact tone because everything is so understated and low-key. They're definitely funny, but not in like a knee-slapping, joke and punchline kind of way. They're also surprisingly emotionally complex, with the absurdist premise and the fact that the characters are anthropomorphic animals becoming minor, backseat details to the more interesting relationships explored in each book. Some books are funnier or more poignant than others, but every one I've read so far has struck a chord with me in the end.

I breezed through Hey, Wait..., I Killed Adolf Hitler, Lost Cat, Werewolves of Montpellier, and The Left Bank Gang and now have the rest of his work via Fantagraphics on order. I'd probably recommend either I Killed Adolf Hitler or Werewolves of Montpellier as a decent intro to anyone is interested.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cloks posted:

I just picked up the newest volume of Manhattan Projects and it seems like they've really lost any central thread. A lot of moving the pieces around and they killed one of the more interesting characters ... for what? Unless I'm mistaken, there's an encroaching alien invasion that's barely mentioned.

I'm kinda sad that every volume of Manhattan Projects seems to trim the cast by one, which is a shame since the cast is so interesting that I wish they would do something interesting with them (besides Infinite Oppenheimer, that owned). I thought the whole separate projects thing would be a good thread, but no they seem to drop that almost immediately. Is this series set to end soon because it doesn't seem to be heading anywhere in particular and I'm afraid that it'll get more meandering than it already is.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Unmature posted:

On a whim after watching the doc I started reading Spawn for the first time ever. Spawn is a lame, dumb character, but I always heard the first 50 issues were pretty good. I'm 4 in and it's a fun, super cheesy, super 90's comic. I'm surprised by how often he breaks down and cries on the floor like a little bitch. I also watched a bit of the movie and boy is that still complete garbage. Even as a 7 year old I knew it sucked, but MAN does it stink.

I'm gonna keep reading Spawn. I wanna at least read the first 50 people always go on about.

I really, really want Garth Ennis to write a Spawn series at some point, simply because Spawn is almost literally "Punisher... WITH SUPERPOWERS."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I really, really want Garth Ennis to write a Spawn series at some point, simply because Spawn is almost literally "Punisher... WITH SUPERPOWERS."

Yeah he's Punisher + Ghost Rider + Venom + Batman

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Man, I don't know how to feel about the direction The Massive is going. I hope that it can pull itself together, because I really enjoyed the first few arcs, but it seems to be headed somewhere deeply weird.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Did you not like the Sahara arc? I thought that poo poo was epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Did you not like the Sahara arc? I thought that poo poo was epic.

I liked the arc itself a lot - it's the supernatural stuff that is weirding me out a bit. This is the first longer Brian Wood that I've read as it comes out, so I'm sure I'd feel similarly like DMZ was meandering at times. I suppose I'm just impatient and want to know what the deal is here with Mary!