Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Decrepus posted:

Megan I miss you please read my comic and come back to me.

Well they're married, sooooooooo

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

DINKs have been around far longer than lovely webcomics

Yep, since around our childhoods.

VERY expensive

Tykoe Corp
Apr 26, 2005

spunkshui posted:

The girl is working too.

Dual income, no kids.

Dual Income No Kids?
Mr. and Mrs. Dink.

efb

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

I still don't understand the collective goonhate on XKCD. I think it's generally fairly entertaining and the what-if thing is awesome.

There are a lot of earlier comics, and many interviews with the creator, that are this weird smug/twee/creepy mix that's ripe for parody. I'll agree that xkcd is mostly innocuous at worst and frequently pretty good.

Now The Oatmeal, gently caress that poo poo.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
SMBC and xkcd are insufferable nerd comics for insufferable nerds.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

karl fungus posted:

xkcd is alright but SMBC is kinda... eh.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

AtomD posted:

XKCD revels in being nerdy and/or geeky which is pretty much the opposite of what goons do.

Goons revel in nothing but self-loathing. We basically have contests to see who can hate goons the most.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

Goons revel in nothing but self-loathing. We basically have contests to see who can hate goons the most.

The winners are immediately mocked by the losers.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

karl fungus posted:

SMBC was at least funny back in the day when it was just a single panel gag strip. When I gave up on it, it was nothing but 4 page long dissertations on physics or philosophy that ends in an unsatisfying dick joke.

xkcd was never good.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please don't kinkshame

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Fuckin tryhards imo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Snack time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Decrepus posted:

This comes up all the time but he's stated in an interview before that Megan isn't a real person and it's just a random name he chose to use for the (apparently) only female stick figure in the comic.

Not sure if that's more or less creepy. But he isn't talking about a real person.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

cobalt impurity posted:

SMBC was at least funny back in the day when it was just a single panel gag strip. When I gave up on it, it was nothing but 4 page long dissertations on physics or philosophy that ends in an unsatisfying dick joke.

RIP in piece old SMBC, you were purged in the name of syndicability and then forgotten on the path to nerdvana.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Edminster posted:

RIP in piece old SMBC, you were purged in the name of syndicability and then forgotten on the path to nerdvana.

This doesn't make any sense. There's a brain golem across the table from him. Why the gently caress would steve get eaten by zombies? They'd go eat the golem and he'd run to safety!

Is the brain golem named steve? How would you assume that when usually humans have names like steve and brain golems are referred to as "hey you there" telepathically by illithids.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Somebody found Morally Inept's car

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Cacafuego posted:

Somebody found Morally Inept's car

Ugh and I had completely forgotten about that dog fucker.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I admire their restraint to not use the black guy for the Chocolate Chex.

But there's a missing person...a yellow-sleeved left arm at the end of the Cinnamon Chex, but it's a green-sleeved shirt on the left of the Rice Chex.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrBouvenstein posted:

But there's a missing person...a yellow-sleeved left arm at the end of the Cinnamon Chex, but it's a green-sleeved shirt on the left of the Rice Chex.

Except the black guy is offering that chick a bowl of chocolate Chex.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Most stores don't stock the Potato Chex.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Say Nothing posted:

Snack time.

Anne Frank?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo. I just got it.

I thought the joke was that all of the Chex got a big box except poor little glutenful Wheat Chex.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Tykoe Corp posted:

Dual Income No Kids?
Mr. and Mrs. Dink.

efb

That would explain why Mr. Dink always had the cash for his weird inventions.

quote:

Anne Frank?

More like a young Andie MacDowell.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Well they're married, sooooooooo

He's married to someone else, and Megan was the name of a girl he met at some party that he fell head over heels for and never really stopped loving, even though he never told her how he felt.

Randall is a really sort of pitiable guy for that and a few other reasons, and xkcd fans tend to be humorless idiots, but he makes an enjoyable comic occasionally.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

cobalt impurity posted:

What's wrong with jokes about your dick

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Gamma Nerd posted:

He's married to someone else, and Megan was the name of a girl he met at some party that he fell head over heels for and never really stopped loving, even though he never told her how he felt.

Randall is a really sort of pitiable guy for that and a few other reasons, and xkcd fans tend to be humorless idiots, but he makes an enjoyable comic occasionally.

If you ever get the hankering to read something funny by someone who is (fictionally) hung up on a girl named Megan, please follow carrot facts on twitter: https://twitter.com/RealCarrotFacts

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Is there any webcomic that I like that goons can't take a huge steaming poo poo on?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Boneitis posted:

Is there any webcomic that I like that goons can't take a huge steaming poo poo on?
Most goons think Sluggy Freelance is really good.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Really Pants posted:

Isn't that what I said :confused: that was a stretch

Olanphonia has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jun 14, 2014

Sgt Showtime
Jun 21, 2011

The Santa Clause of Satire;
The man with a hat on, from Manhattan,
(John Oliver)

syscall girl posted:

Fuckin tryhards imo.

gently caress americans

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Boneitis posted:

I like Oglaf and Whomp. And Achewood.

e: and goons not realizing that Kelly comics are satire never fails to be funny.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sgt Showtime posted:

gently caress americans

Come on some of those people are way too thin to be american.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Decrepus posted:

XKCD is bad, but I still think this is a dumb critique because I'm pretty sure it's a recurring joke.

Edminster posted:

I am glad that somebody else understands how good old SMBC was and how awful awful awful it becomes with each passing day as the author gets his head further up his own backside. Going back to college for a science degree was the worst thing that ever happened to Zach.

edit:

davebo posted:

If you ever get the hankering to read something funny by someone who is (fictionally) hung up on a girl named Megan, please follow carrot facts on twitter: https://twitter.com/RealCarrotFacts

How long has this person been doing this?

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Jun 14, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Boneitis posted:

Whomp, because the entire comic is about a nerd who hates himself.

e: Really the best thing to do is read what you want* and just not give a gently caress.

*Unless it's CAD or Dominic Deegan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

theflyingorc posted:

I am glad that somebody else understands how good old SMBC was and how awful awful awful it becomes with each passing day as the author gets his head further up his own backside. Going back to college for a science degree was the worst thing that ever happened to Zach.

SMBC is caught in a feedback loop, where the nerdier he gets the more his louder fans love him.

I actually really like SMBC, but I'll admit that his strongest jokes are the less scientific ones (exception: graph jokes. If there is such a thing as a funny graph joke, it's probably in SMBC). There was a really good recent one about Green Eggs and Ham, and there was a recent spate of time travel jokes that were pretty consistent hits (speaking as someone that thinks time travel jokes are funny, though). It's something I'm happy to see keep going, and Zach's enthusiasm for what he does comes through really well.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

theflyingorc posted:

I don't know how early you started following SMBC but here have a collection of most his stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ffa6x5cg...03-28-09%29.zip

It's about five years out of date (gently caress I've been adminning that forum for so long) but it has all of the comics Zach purged from the site back when he was trying to get it syndicated with some group or another.

Cleretic posted:

SMBC is caught in a feedback loop, where the nerdier he gets the more his louder fans love him.

I actually really like SMBC, but I'll admit that his strongest jokes are the less scientific ones (exception: graph jokes. If there is such a thing as a funny graph joke, it's probably in SMBC). There was a really good recent one about Green Eggs and Ham, and there was a recent spate of time travel jokes that were pretty consistent hits (speaking as someone that thinks time travel jokes are funny, though). It's something I'm happy to see keep going, and Zach's enthusiasm for what he does comes through really well.

It's clearly working for him; I mean he gets eight grand a month from Patreon alone and a further couple grand from his PW ads so good on him I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

President Ark posted:

Whomp, because the entire comic is about a nerd who hates himself.

e: Really the best thing to do is read what you want* and just not give a gently caress.

*Unless it's CAD or Dominic Deegan.

This post is all true. Read Whomp, because it's a fat guy who is fat and eats chicken nuggets and loves anime and it's great, and not in that awkward self-loathing way.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Nedroid is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Most goons think Sluggy Freelance is really good.

Holy poo poo, I forgot all about sluggy...back in high school I wrote the author a big fuckin' email begging him to read my lovely high school webcomic. To his credit he did, and wrote me back some nice advice (mostly being "your art sucks, practice). Cool guy, but I imagine I'd find all the soap opera crap in his strip insufferable now.

Goons love Gunshow.

• Locked thread