Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

It's actually pretty legit advice. Everyone at cafes and restaurants is getting work through their friends who are already working there. In a lot or cases the employer prefers a recommendation from a non dud employee over a random resume that comes in.

My first three jobs, all in different sectors, were through people already working there, not through random resume drops or seek job ads.

Works like this in the web development world too, I've never gotten a job that I applied for, but I've landed all three jobs through word of mouth.

It works even as far away as Romania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
This is pretty true, I've been outright offered more jobs in the last year than I've had interviews, all through just talking to people casually. (Shame that I'm too sadbrains to go back into retail)

I really pity the people who move to places with better employment opportunities but lose all their social/support networks. :smith:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm jumping back into the workforce after a 7 year absence, not looking forward to shotgunning resumes everywhere and not hearing a thing back for months. I think I'd be okay going back to retail or hospitality, but I will shoot myself before working in an inbound call centre again.

Figure I could scrape enough cash to get an RSA/RSG cert, kick around an RSL for a bit until I can pay the grand or so for a MR licence and maybe look at courier or driving work for a bit of stability.

e: Wilcox:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 14, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

He's managing to do something like this every single day. It's quite incredible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What a boob. Are his minders really dropping the ball lately or are they just underestimating the level of hand holding he needs? Fair enough if it's the latter.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
My favourite part is where he likely thought it a typo and corrected it himself.

"Mile? Ha, is the goalkeeper's name Kilometre? Who wrote this? Send them to Manus!"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

I died

nrichprime
May 29, 2004

ewe2 posted:

By request

We need a :queensland:

I'm getting a real "Terry Lewis appointed Police Commissioner" vibe from this.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I shotgunned a lot of resumes out through seek and Gumtree, got a couple of interviews and then finally scored a job through talking to people while handing out HTV cards at the Senate re election.

Networking is the way to go.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I shotgunned resumes to get an internship, which took a long time, and I got a job offer as soon as one of our clients found out I was finishing my internship soon. The job market is weird and broken.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Yeah, you're pretty unlikely to get a job applying to SEEK ads. Better to let people you know that you're looking for work. It's privilege at work I guess.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
So far in my "career" as an engineer it's been a 50/50 split. What's interesting is that the 50% applied through the CV/Interview process have all ended up loving me over some way or another. Most of those have been in the U.S. (hostile working environments!) so YMMV.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, you're pretty unlikely to get a job applying to SEEK ads. Better to let people you know that you're looking for work. It's privilege at work I guess.

Well really it's not really a case of just do one or the other it's do everything. Let your friends know, drop resumes in, apply online, try make new friends, etc, etc.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
As someone who only just got a job after a long period of applying my advice is that everyone has One Hot Tip on how to get a job. Take the advice you're comfortable following.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My grandmother had the best advice: "I used to train women to be receptionists and the advice I gave to them was to always go into the office personally to apply because if the boss has a fat wife at home he might like a stern skinny lady in the office and if he has a skinny wife at home he might like a jolly fat woman in the office". I'm sure that advice actually worked on many occasions and probably still applies to this day for certain positions and industries but it's not strictly relevant to me and it doesn't make me comfortable. Get used to smiling and nodding when people tell you how to get a job for reals, this totally worked for me.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Just got my ASU membership pack in the mail :3: Looking forward to being protected when poo poo inevitably goes down!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kat Delacour posted:

As someone who only just got a job after a long period of applying my advice is that everyone has One Hot Tip on how to get a job. Take the advice you're comfortable following.

My one hot tip was try every tip.

Employers hate him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

nrichprime posted:

I'm getting a real "Terry Lewis appointed Police Commissioner" vibe from this.

Yep, same sinking feeling. Lewis was a thorough crook, none of which came out until after his reign of terror at the tip was brought down. It was an entire career of corruption kept quiet, and if Carmody is a similar problem that needs to come out now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Looking at house and rental prices in western Sydney and I'm starting to think I might be better off systematically killing baby boomers until the prices take a hit killing myself.

superkinetic
Jul 22, 2007

WHEN?

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

Tony Abbott been playing too many of those old unlicensed video games.

16 Minutes - GOOOOOAAAALLLL! Dayne Mooney connects to a Brack Hiilshere cross and leaves John-Louie Buffo stranded! ENGLAND 1-0 ITALY

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Thanks Village Idiot.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

What a boob. Are his minders really dropping the ball lately or are they just underestimating the level of hand holding he needs? Fair enough if it's the latter.

Funny, I was thinking at this point the minders were just saying ":shrug: gently caress it, let him say whatever. It'll be good for a laugh. :shrug:"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The minders have died of shame.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Chris Kenny photoshop pls TIA.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I've only just seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

'Your George W Bush' – Tony Abbott makes a splash in the United States

The prime minister's gaffes, faux pas and missteps are a big hit with US comedians. For many Americans, they're the only thing they know about Australia's political life

Ed Coper
theguardian.com, Friday 13 June 2014 10.07 AEST
Jump to comments (240)

You won’t find much news of Tony Abbott’s US visit on mainstream outlets here in the US, but that’s no comment on Abbott's relative place in the world. It’s more a reflection of the American audience's lack of interest in world affairs. The only coverage any foreign leader’s visit has garnered recently was the state dinner held for French president François Hollande, and that had more to do with affairs of the heart than affairs of state: the media had a field day speculating on how the White House would respond to the challenge of working out a new table plan in the wake of “France’s horndog president” dumping his first lady shortly before the visit.

Yet many people you speak to here will not only have heard of Tony Abbott, they’ll even be able to point to a few of his recent indiscretions. How is that possible? While American audiences in general have little appetite for the nuances of foreign policy, they have a keen eye for biting political satire. For US comedians, our prime minister has proved a world-class subject.

Most politically aware Americans can tell you two things about Australian politics: there used to be this great guy who got rid of guns (John Howard), and now there’s another guy, referred to as “your George W Bush”.

Both perceptions we owe largely to the stable of comedians that have come out of The Daily Show – Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and now John Oliver. In their efforts to speak truth to US power, they've found inspiration in our policies – like health care and gun safety, where the US lags so visibly behind. They also take solace in our pain when we see our leader lampooned on the world stage. They lived through it during Bush junior's presidency.

Oliver's recent compilation of Abbott gaffes, faux pas and missteps – drenched in schadenfreude and universally accessible – was a real hit. For Americans, who aren't acclimatised to the sideshow that Australian politics presents to a domestic audience nightly, it was a laugh riot. Most that I’ve spoken to remember Abbott's now-notorious adult sexline wink best.

Part of the appeal to an American audience is cultural. They delight in the fact we refer to our political leaders by their first name, and the casual candour of our political conversation – including its rough edges and blunders. In the Bush years we had our fun, and now it's their turn.

All this mockery masks a deeper disquiet. Trust in politicians is at an all-time low in the US, with just 19% of Americans saying they trust the government in Washington to do what is right. That translates into a golden age for political satirists, as much as it does into fertile ground for fringe fanatics like the Tea party.

What should we read into American lampooning of our leaders? Perceptions matter. As Abbott heads to Washington this week, his treatment by comedians certainly doesn’t auger well for the reception he can expect at the White House. Increasingly isolated by his world view, and unwittingly thrust onto the world stage by his foreign policy-minded predecessor’s predilection for placing Australia at the centre of international forums, our prime minister's discussion with Obama seemed far from comfortable.

US president Barack Obama is trying to drag his country out of its slumber on climate change and into a much more constructive role. In Abbott, Obama faces one of the last remaining climate obstructionists. On domestic matters, Abbott's first budget categorically declared an intention to model Australia on the America Obama has spent all of his political capital trying to undo during his two terms: from a user-pays health care system to fee hikes for universities. At least Abbott's reception wasn't quite as awkward as a French president who turns up with a new date.

tldr: John Howard is a hero in America.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

kingcom posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I've only just seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

It needs to be posted repeatedly regardless.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

tldr: John Howard is a hero in America.

To be more specific: John Howard is a hero of the left in the US

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I laugh every single time someone from the NRA refers to John Howard as a radical leftie.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
The only good thing Howard ever did is the thing that the US will never do, now that's hosed.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Anidav posted:

Dear friends, with exams almost over my job seeking will come full force. I need advice of what I can do besides:
A. Handing out my resume in person (Only about 30% of stores seem to take it)
B. Waiting on SEEK (The most I can seem to get out of SEEK so far is an interview)

What else can I do to make myself have a guaranteed job with a legal wage? I don't want to waste a whole free months feeding resumes into some website like a loving Pokie Machine.

Hire Pinoys to apply everywhere for you and enjoy your newstart while it lasts

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Pred1ct posted:

The only good thing Howard ever did is the thing that the US will never do, now that's hosed.

TBF it's significantly harder in the US and would probably take decades to have impact.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
gently caress imagine being compared to George W. Bush right as Iraq is literally falling apart.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Flaky posted:

gently caress imagine being compared to George W. Bush right as Iraq is literally falling apart.

Comparing Abbott to Bush is an insult to Bush. At least he was smarter than he pretended to be.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

quote:

City of Melbourne aims to become carbon neutral leader

It's long so just some excerpts

"..Melbourne City Council has set perhaps the most ambitious climate change goal in Australia – to produce zero net emissions from the CBD and surrounding suburbs under its oversight by 2020."

"Council research on the impact of January's record-breaking heatwave – which scientists project will occur more frequently as climate change worsens – found city retailers lost $37 million over four days as shoppers stayed out of the 40-plus degree heat. Last year flood modelling, based on end of century sea-level rise of 0.8 metres, found average annual inundation bills in Southbank could alone rise from $3 million in 2011 to $20 million by 2100 if prevention is not taken."

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/city-of-melbourne-aims-to-become-carbon-neutral-leader-20140613-zs5xy.html#ixzz34bNhWvFc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Meanwhile in Texas:

Herald Sun posted:

TONY Abbott has visited the energy capital of the USA to insist he does not want the battle against climate change to limit the use of any type of fuel.

Promoting his plan to scrap the carbon tax in front of an audience of energy executives in Houston, Texas, Mr Abbott said he wanted Australia to become a centre of cheap energy.

While he said Australia should look towards new energy sources, he said we should also focus on cheap and reliable energy.

“Affordable, reliable energy fuels enterprise and drives employment,” Mr Abbott said.

“It is the engine of economic development and wealth creation.”

“Australia should be an affordable energy superpower, using nature’s gifts to the benefit of our own people and the wider world.”

Abbott talks security with US

The PM defended Australia’s existing energy exports and said we have a long term future exporting black coal, LNG and uranium.

“It is prudent to do what we reasonably can to reduce carbon emissions,” he said.

“But we don’t believe in ostracising any particular fuel [except renewables, obviously] and we don’t believe in harming “economic growth.”

“For many decades at least coal will continue to fuel human progress as an affordable, dependable energy source for wealthy and developing countries alike.”

Texas Tony ... The PM talked up Australia’s export market in fossil fuels during a speech in Houston. Picture: Jake Nowakowski Source: News Corp Australia
The speech came after Mr Abbott met US President Barack Obama and agreed to disagree on the best way to tackle climate change.

Mr Obama wants a global carbon price while Mr Abbott wants to replace Australia’s carbon tax with a $2.5 billion “direct action” plan that includes paying companies to cut emissions.

Declaring he wanted closer ties with the largest city in Texas, Mr Abbott announced he would appoint an Australian consulate-general to the boom town.

After receiving a gift of Stetson cowboy hat, Mr Abbott let the audience know he felt like an honorary Texan, saying “yee ha”.

Houston is home to more than 100 Australian companies, including BHP Billiton, Woodside, Santos, WorleyParsons, Macquarie Group, Pryme Oil and Gas, Lend Lease and Brambles.

Houston is the largest city in Texas, which has an economy the size of the 13th largest country in the world.

Mr Abbott said the consulate-general Houston would allow Australia to “maximise the two-way trade and investment opportunities of the US energy revolution”.

Mr Abbott will today meet with a business delegations before visiting the Texas Medical Centre — the largest of its kind in the world — to promote his plan for a $20 billion Medical Research Future Fund.

Yee Haw!

• Locked thread