Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

This last Final Jeopardy came to me rather quickly for some reason, even if it did stymie all of the contestants. Malta used to be a British colony/naval port that they used to maintain their naval superiority over the Mediterranean, along with Gibraltar, Crete, and Cyprus, right?

And after the British pulled out of the latter, fighting between the Greek and Turkish parts of that island to this day have never really subsided, so it would makes sense that those two languages would be the ones that would be official languages there. Gibraltar is still a British territory, so that's out, and Crete's been a part of Greece for a while now, so process of elimination makes the answer Malta.

Or am I just over-complicating a relatively simple Final Jeopardy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You did better than me. I just wild-guessed Malta and got lucky.

Before and After is the best category by a mile.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I had Malta as a guess but the wording on the clue didn't make it fully clear that it had to be an island so I thought they might speak English in Israel.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Me and my parents had Malta immediately; they're both from Europe and I love geography, so that made it easy.

And yeah, the wording was a bit ambiguous that it had to be an island.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I had Malta as a guess but the wording on the clue didn't make it fully clear that it had to be an island so I thought they might speak English in Israel.

Israel was my first guess until I realized the island part, then I knew it was Malta.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Molly is not the strongest player in the world, as evidenced by missing tonight's cupcake FJ, but she had some pretty laughable competition tonight. Jason seemed to be buzzing in with complete wild guesses. It's like he'd never watched the show. Did he not realize he was losing money?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zakharov posted:

Molly is not the strongest player in the world, as evidenced by missing tonight's cupcake FJ, but she had some pretty laughable competition tonight. Jason seemed to be buzzing in with complete wild guesses. It's like he'd never watched the show. Did he not realize he was losing money?

If he'd negged just once more, Molly would have been only the third player and first woman to play Final Jeopardy by herself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
She just needs to win one more game for the privilege of getting embarrassed in the Tournament of Champions

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

zakharov posted:

I love how eager he was to buzz in with Boyz II Men (as anyone would have been)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I missed more than half the show, including all of DJ, due to local news cutting in with stupid weather alerts and repeating themselves 3 times in the same alert. :saddowns:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, I came up with that Final Jeopardy really quickly, mostly because I'm a huge geography guy and hit instantly on which two countries the clue was referring to, and then easily came up with their capitals. About the only problem I would've had with that clue is spelling Canberra correctly... Everyone always gets tripped up with the capital of Turkey too, since most people think it it Istanbul like Sari did. And then there are the people who think the capital of Australia is Sydney instead of Canberra...

Police officer takes it with a smart bet too, even if he missed Final Jeopardy with the rest of them..

In other news, my official Jeopardy photo with Trebek came in last night, 2 weeks before my episode is to air. I personally think I look terrible in it, but it's not going to keep me from posting it after the episode airs.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 12, 2014

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was pretty pleased with myself for getting it, but I had to work forward from Ankara cause if you'd asked me an hour ago what the capital of Australia was I would've said Sydney.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I got Canberra right off but then had to think about if any countries in the Caucasus might be considered intercontinental.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She just needs to win one more game for the privilege of getting embarrassed in the Tournament of Champions

I was really looking forward to this :(

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
In fairness all three did well in the first two rounds, off the top of my head I can't remember any they got wrong

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Real simple Final again this episode, but Joe's answer had me cracking up. "Basically a soap opera" indeed.

Darren bet too low despite being in the lead, so he doesn't get to play the next game. Wonder why he decided on that bet amount...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I would watch the poo poo out of The Bachelor if it were directed by Romero.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I am dead. Darren's bet from first place has killed me and I am now Ghost Posting.

BET TO WIN

also "The Bachelor" lmao

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Huh. My DVR just recorded the episode you guys talked about yesterday, today. I guess my local affiliate skipped a day?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What was the deal where Alex was presenting some dude a certificate or something before FJ? Just caught a glimpse with no sound.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What was the deal where Alex was presenting some dude a certificate or something before FJ? Just caught a glimpse with no sound.

Alex was receiving the Guinness world record for most game show episodes hosted by one person.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Dude thinks Nostradamus was in the bible

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Dude thinks Nostradamus was in the bible

His name was literally Winner. He was tempting fate by coming on the show at all.

I finally got a Word Origins final right!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did goons actually like Colby or was it ironic? I just got through the tournament and thought he tired way too hard and acted like he thought he was as cool as The Rock. I don't look to Jeopardy to see the US's Coolest and Most Well-Adjusted people, but he really rubbed me the wrong way every time I saw him over the last few years.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

Did goons actually like Colby or was it ironic? I just got through the tournament and thought he tired way too hard and acted like he thought he was as cool as The Rock. I don't look to Jeopardy to see the US's Coolest and Most Well-Adjusted people, but he really rubbed me the wrong way every time I saw him over the last few years.

Most of liked Colby a lot. By all accounts he wasn't trying to put anything on (it's hard to adopt a new personality under the Jeopardy format), that's just how he came across on camera.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Most Jeopardy champions seem to be pretty cool in context. Jennings is probably the best example; he's quick-witted, but knows that there's more to that than merely being sardonic. Colby is :smuggo: incarnate but still a person.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

For reals. :dealwithit:

edit: Wow, that's the easiest final I've ever heard.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 18, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

For reals. :dealwithit:

edit: Wow, that's the easiest final I've ever heard.

Yeah, I was like "Hmm, I like the 19th Century, but I suck when it comes to literature...." And then we got a $200 question.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

What did the guy who won write his answer in, cuneiform? I stepped out directly after seeing the World's Easiest FJ and missed his explanation.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

He didn't win - there weren't any actual words there. Paige the JAG won.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
The guy in the black rimmed glasses, beard, and sweater refuses to leave the Bukowski category. Despite clearly knowing nothing about the man's work. Hipsterism in action.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Man, I know they tape these things months in advance (because I'm on next week and my episode was filmed in March), but the sheer incongruity of seeing a clue about Maya Angelou tonight weeks after she passed really hit me. And of course there was no comment by Alex about that after the clue was answered because when the episode was taped, she hadn't yet...

Also, that looked to be the perfect clue during Final Jeopardy for a JAG, even if the category didn't immediately point that way. Too bad she was too far behind. And using an alternate name for the Marine Corps Band, even if it was accepted, showing off her military background there, I guess. Alex basically said as much with the SEAL Team 6 answer; I guess the writers were prepared to just accept plain old Navy SEALs for that one.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 19, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Oh, Troy you saucy Adam-Scott esque boy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

Oh, Troy you saucy Adam-Scott esque boy.

He does a podcast with John Yoo so gently caress that guy, glad he's gone.

Angie may have lost, but at least it wasn't because she forgot to say "What is" on her Daily Double. That would have been The Worst.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Angie may have lost, but at least it wasn't because she forgot to say "What is" on her Daily Double. That would have been The Worst.

Yeah, that would've been terrible. At least she corrected herself before time ran out. And with that being a True Daily Double, she would've been pretty boned. The other Daily Double in Double Jeopardy was missed and in that attempt they didn't even bother attempting to answer in the form of a question.

Found it funny when Angie looked like she wanted so badly to buzz in and get that Seattle question about Pike Place Market in the Neon category in Double Jeopardy when Troy got to it first.

When it came down to Final, I guessed it rather quickly, but I could see where Angie and Troy could've gotten their own answers from, as all of those companies came into trouble at about the same time. Too bad that the two of them were so close in money that they had to bet big and both missed it.

Eventual winner spent a bunch of time in the negative, especially near the end of regular Jeopardy, but he wound up getting a decent amount then capitalized when he got Final right and the two leaders got it wrong and bet what they did.

Anyway, there'll be one face I've met in person on tomorrow's show when the Champion of the first episode they taped when I was there makes their appearance and wins their game. Won't say much more about them until the episode airs tomorrow so as not to give anything away about who it is that won, but I will say that I struck up a conversation with them on the shuttle ride over to the Sony Studios without ever knowing that they were the returning champion until the head contestant coordinator mentioned it in the contestant green room and did an introduction for them to the rest of us there.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 20, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lots of sassy Trebek in today's episode.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Trebek is such an rear end in a top hat :swoon:

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
GhostStalker, you really forgot to stay CLAM

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was wondering if today was GhostStalker's episode but the forums were still down. It was pretty nerve-wracking watching those hard swings! Sorry you didn't win. :(

I only knew one of the "Internet Slang" answers. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Was ghost stalker the asian guy? Yeah you hosed up.