Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I hate to be a negative oval office but I'm not really liking the descriptions on the new ork big guns. To me they imply hilarious (for my opponent) random whacky charts and blowing myself up. I always take grot kannons, as they are a reliable and flexible weapon (now soon to be defunct). I don't use zap cannons as they have random strength determined after target selection and kill a crew member on a 10+. As for the Shokk Attack Gun I really hate the whacky effects that kick me in the balls most of the time and it's one good effect often scatters onto nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The weapons are all either just a random S, a random S/AP, or not random at all. We've not seen any 'whacky' tables at all.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cataphract posted:

Not even the same industry... The same product line; Mek gunz VS Killa Kanz!!

Worry not, Kanz will be nerfed or increased in price to bring them into line. it's both

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm sorry but if you don't like randomness and a weapon that shoots it's firer , I dunno why you play Orks?

edit:

Can't tell if I really super like these Tyranids or dislike

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-24442-15076_Hive%20Tyrant%2C%20Swarmlord%2C%20Tyrant%20Guard.html

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 14, 2014

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
http://grotorderly.blogspot.com/2014/06/white-dwarf-19-wycieki-leaks.html

I'm pretty OK with d6+4S for 30 pts; that said, this here WD says that kannons and lobbas are still in the game, so pick yer poison, as it were. And the SAG is underwhelming on the Big Mek, sure, but it's awesome on the Big Mek Junka; if you teleport with it, it counts as having tank shocked its target with its Deff Rolla :getin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Morkanaut and the Gorkanaut kind of seem underwhelming to me. Aren't they suppose to be the Imperial Knight equivalent but with dudes in em?

I'm really hoping that the Orks get the psychic power Foot of G/Mork, or the equivalent. I remember in Dark Millennium it had a actual footprint to laydown. Also, hope its ST : D. Man you can not forget the space between ST and D, cause it changes like everything.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 14, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hollismason posted:

The Morkanaut and the Gorkanaut kind of seem underwhelming to me. Aren't they suppose to be the Imperial Knight equivalent but with dudes in em?

I'm really hoping that the Orks get the psychic power Foot of G/Mork, or the equivalent. I remember in Dark Millennium it had a actual footprint to laydown. Also, hope its STD.

You'd think so, but they cost less money, so they aren't as good :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Of course, I think the thing that appeals most to me about Orks is the conversion possibilities and building thrown together stuff from all sorts of armies. I just never got into them, they've always been a favorite of mine. Just never played them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

http://grotorderly.blogspot.com/2014/06/white-dwarf-19-wycieki-leaks.html

I'm pretty OK with d6+4S for 30 pts; that said, this here WD says that kannons and lobbas are still in the game, so pick yer poison, as it were. And the SAG is underwhelming on the Big Mek, sure, but it's awesome on the Big Mek Junka; if you teleport with it, it counts as having tank shocked its target with its Deff Rolla :getin:

Do we know if the new SAG changed or not?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

krursk posted:

As for the Shokk Attack Gun I really hate the whacky effects that kick me in the balls most of the time and it's one good effect often scatters onto nothing.

I don't think you "get" orks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kaysette posted:

I don't think you "get" orks.

Sounds like he's got it down pretty well actually.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bahahaha get the gently caress out of here GW

vvv AU

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 14, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

adamantium|wang posted:

Those are Canadian prices, right?

Not that the US prices aren't similarly nutty.

(Seriously though maybe we should move pricechat over to the death pool thread)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Welp, I seriously talked with a buddy about getting into 40k this week and playing Orks. One look at the prices for the new stuff and I don't have to worry about that :tipshat:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Welp, I seriously talked with a buddy about getting into 40k this week and playing Orks. One look at the prices for the new stuff and I don't have to worry about that :tipshat:

Ebay. Seriously. Prices will probably be higher than usual on used orks because of the imminent release, but I'd be astonished if you couldn't still find some boyz to start playing with. Or buy Mantic or Kromlech or something (Kromlech may not save you much money but you're at least supporting the little guy). 40k aesthetics are still great and the rules are at least a wash, so don't let the lovely company ruin all your fun.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Worry not, Kanz will be nerfed or increased in price to bring them into line. it's both

That's a relief.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
At this point Kromlech and Forgeworld are cheaper more baller options

What a world we live in

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

vvv AU

And you need to buy the box twice to make them worth anything really.

If nerds weren't so dumb GW would have tanked ages ago.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

At this point Kromlech and Forgeworld are cheaper more baller options

What a world we live in

At this point I just want Kromlech or Spellcrow to start making complete notmarine lines like Anvil does (I enjoy Kromlech's aesthetics a little better). Spellcrow does make a complete plague marine, I think, but aside from that it seems like 90% of the poo poo is legs and shoulder pads for some reason.*

*I know the reason, it's because it's supposed to fit with GW/FW upgrade kits that are mainly torsos, but still.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Von Humboldt posted:

Hencoe (who should really post more) has two Heirodules, and I keep telling him to build up and out with the bases, and just run them as Knights. I think they are more effective for their cost, and it means he doesn't have to go "well, uh, can I bring 1200 points of Lords of War?"

That's because the heirophant is awesome :colbert:
Frankly they are already huge, I doubt it would be a big deal to run them as is, as a knight.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
They had the old kannon/lobba/Zzap guns in the codex entry pictures that leaked so they're still in the game. Here's hoping they don't gently caress up the SAG but we'll likely have to wait till the new codex releases to find out.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Oh, man, I just saw the box itself. I just fell for GW's product page--should've been on the lookout for that since they sell the 2 Orkanauts "separately." :downs:

PROCEEDING AS PLANNED. That said, using these would give me poo poo-tons of stands for the Gunz since I don't have the spare vehicle bits lying around to convert Mek Gunz properly.

There's also this variant to consider since it comes with an extra gun and a turret stand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

See that's not something I am super familiar with is Non-GW "GW" lines of miniatures that are good. I'd love to get some different guys for my Chaos army to serve as cultists and some Space Marines that look Chaosy.

edit:

Woah, Kromlech has some bad rear end Orks , I mean Orcs.

Oh wow these are great!

http://www.spellcrow.com/freebooters-orcs-heads-p-105.html

Sexy...? :stare:
http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10_44&products_id=46

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 14, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

See that's not something I am super familiar with is Non-GW "GW" lines of miniatures that are good. I'd love to get some different guys for my Chaos army to serve as cultists and some Space Marines that look Chaosy.

edit:

Woah, Kromlech has some bad rear end Orks , I mean Orcs.

There are a lot of different ranges out there but the problem, at least for marines, is that a) most of them aren't complete figures (or don't make enough parts to assemble a complete figure, rather) and b) a lot of them are off-model in some noticeable way. In particular, I still have yet to find a third party backpack that doesn't break my sense of immersion, though for the specific case of plague marines, Spellcrow's come drat close. Anvil has the problem with backpacks and the backs of the legs also look completely wrong, but everything else of theirs is great. All Kromlech's stuff is passable but their (marine) line still doesn't include torsos, arms, bolters, or non-niche heads/backpacks. Puppetswar makes some okay shoulderpads and heads but pretty much all their "marine" bodies are just completely off-model as any sort of Astartes power armor, though you could possibly use them for other things.

For guards and cultists, there are some better options. Anvil has at least two lines that could make awesome cultists, the House Crowmantia and Tox Trooper lines. The only problem might be that I think they're a bit skinnier than GW humans, more of a realistic scale than the heroic scale Imperial Guard standard. That might not be a problem for some folks though, or it could even be a feature rather than a bug. And of course Victoria does figures that are pretty much spot-on for Imperial Guard variants and could become Cultists too very easily (I bought a set of her Beastman guardsmen to make into cultists and they are awesome).

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 14, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hrmm there seems to be quiet a large demand for large breasted Imperial Guard figures that GW isn't recognizing.

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only DD.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm there seems to be quiet a large demand for large breasted Imperial Guard figures that GW isn't recognizing.

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only DD.

And there's Victoria, which makes me happy :unsmith:

...I still haven't made good on my resolution to buy more from her because I need to find room in the monetary and painting budgets :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

These are only 10 pounds each and really only need a dip into the bitz box for spikes and banners to move them close enough to GW orks in style. A lot more affordable. Between them and Kromlech you should easily get enough high quality orks on the field for a whole lot less money.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
There is no need to move pricechat anywhere because the prices aren't just consistently worse but are getting worse and worse over time. People are bringing it up because their already low expectations continue to be broken. This is news and it's a central part of the game that should not be sidelined.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AgentF posted:

There is no need to move pricechat anywhere because the prices aren't just consistently worse but are getting worse and worse over time. People are bringing it up because their already low expectations continue to be broken. This is news and it's a central part of the game that should not be sidelined.

I wouldn't argue that it should be sidelined just because the GW diehards don't like being reminded of it, but I think there's a legitimate argument to be made that industry/business drama (of any sort) can derail discussion from strategy, models, etc. Since there's explicitly already a thread that is more or less dedicated to GW as a corporation swirling around the toilet, moving it there could be a good solution.

I personally wouldn't care if it stayed here, of course, but every time someone dares to bring it up here there's always folks complaining about the discussion in turn, so I'd just as soon just duck that whole process.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

These are only 10 pounds each and really only need a dip into the bitz box for spikes and banners to move them close enough to GW orks in style. A lot more affordable. Between them and Kromlech you should easily get enough high quality orks on the field for a whole lot less money.

I really dislike the look of Mantic's Ork knock-offs.

You've also managed to point out one of the few instances where GW is actually cheaper than Mantic too, the Troops Booster.

Tenner for 5 guys from Mantic, or £18 for 11 guys from GW (you need a spare base for the 11th guy)

Alternately £6 for 4 really basic chumps (still better than Mantic's sculpts)

Not excusing GW prices, just a note that Mantic aren't always the best value.

On the other hand Kromlech just released these guys and I'm finding it hard to resist picking them up, especially after my current Tankbuster squad did well in my last game (blew up 4 tanks and turned defeat into draw by getting linebreaker on turn 7).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A cool way to deal with price chat if you don't like reading it or talking about it, is to not read it and scroll past it.

But I dunno maybe some peoples scroll wheels are broken and they have a compulsion to respond to every point they don't like???

I dunno I'm not gonna judge. WAAAAAAAGH!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Not sure why NTRabbit linked to the Deadzone (skirmish game, for those who don't know) orcs rather than Warpath, but if you go to Warpath it's a whopping 20 orcs for 15 GBP (or 10 for 12.50 but why would you ever do that?).

Not gonna contest the observation that Mantic's orcs are noticeably different in model than GW's. It'll be a matter of individual sensibilities whether that's tolerable or desirable.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I just had a peep through the bitbox, and i made a 500 point DE list with the stuff in there. It's Gary Mauley in all his glory :allears:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Someone said you could make 15 Freebooterz with the bits from one set and the bodies from somewhere else. As I've got 15 black reach nobz and a nobz boxed set, does anyone have any good links to somewhere showing how it all goes together (I imagine the right arms are the clincher)?

I'd have put together a nobz mob, but we still don't have the codex.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Not price chat but who has good stand in Daemon Models instead of GW , cause I really don't like the Daemonettes of Slaanesh models.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No one likes them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The older ones are ok.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
So this picture of a "Slaaneshi" Wraithknight appeared a couple days ago on the GW:Bondi (a suburb in Sydney's East) Facebook page.

this kinda poo poo is bad enough when it's being made by internet denizens... but when its being made by a flipping GW store manager and then posted on one of the company's FB pages?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why would a robot have boobs

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Not sure why NTRabbit linked to the Deadzone (skirmish game, for those who don't know) orcs rather than Warpath

I figured the Deadzone ones were a little closer in size and look than the Warpath ones, but yeah the Warpath ones are far and away the cheapest way to make a horde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

why would a robot have boobs

And if you were going to be a hard-headed creep about the whole "it's Slaneeshi" duh, why would it have two boobs?

• Locked thread