Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I definitely don't want really powerful bass, but listening to a lot of acoustic and fingerstyle guitar, one of the things I feel I'm missing with the AT's is a thicker, thumpier bass, and some guitar & bass detail. I love the thumpy rhythm of a double bass or fingerstyle guitarist.
I'm a little worried that if I go with something too bass-heavy, it'll start washing out details when I'm gaming, which is something I don't want to happen.
Its probably a toss-up between the K701's, Philips Fidelio X1, or ATH-AD900X at this point, but I have no idea which might work best for me.
I'd like something a little less "hollow" sounding than my current ATH-AD300, but without losing too much detail, or without being fatiguing, if that makes sense.

How are the Fiio DAC/AMPs? Are there even any other options in the $100-150 range?

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Horizontal Tree posted:

The Philips Fidelio X1 look nice too. Anyone have input on them?

They are really good and have a sound signature you would like.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
My cat ate the cord on my latest pair of headphones, time for some new ones. Could anyone offer advice?

Budget - $300-$400.
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Some, I can need to focus while working some days, I have always liked NC, but the OP says it is dumb? I was honestly looking at Bose QC until I saw this thread.
Preferred Type of Headphone - circumaural.
Past Headphones - Harmon Kardon NC and Bose In-Ear buds
Preferred Music - Electronic music, hip hop, podcasts.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 10, 2014

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

They are really good and have a sound signature you would like.

Will keep them in mind. Do you feel they need an amp? I'd love to find a DAC/amp in the $100-150 range, since I'll be listening from a PC

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Horizontal Tree posted:

Will keep them in mind. Do you feel they need an amp? I'd love to find a DAC/amp in the $100-150 range, since I'll be listening from a PC

They've only got 30 ohms of impedance so there's no need for an amp.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Dirk Pitt posted:

My cat ate the cord on my latest pair of headphones, time for some new ones. Could anyone offer advice?

Budget - $300-$400.
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - None, I have always liked NC, but the OP says it is dumb? I was honestly looking at Bose QC until I saw this thread.
Preferred Type of Headphone - circumaural.
Past Headphones - Harmon Kardon NC and Bose In-Ear buds
Preferred Music - Electronic music, hip hop, podcasts.

Why do you want NC if you don't need isolation?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm in the market for some new buds for work (I work overnights stocking shelves at a supermarket and listening to muzak all night every night is taking its toll on my sanity).

Budget - Under $50, preferably around $25
Source - Motorola Moto X
Isolation Requirements - Don't care
Preferred Type - IEMs or Earbuds
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX200
Preferred Music - Electronic, metal, things of that nature

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If I have low/mid tier headphones (sony MDR-v600, is there any reason not to buy super cheap replacement ear-cups, like these? What's better about the official $45 ones?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Midorka posted:

Why do you want NC if you don't need isolation?

I should revise to say isolation would be nice, if only to allow me to focus while working. Sometimes the office or where ever I am working can be quite noisy.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I should revise to say isolation would be nice, if only to allow me to focus while working. Sometimes the office or where ever I am working can be quite noisy.

Well NC does nothing to cover up the noises of typing or talking. It would reduce the humming of the computers but any decent closed headphone will provide ample isolation so that with music playing you're not going to hear the sounds.

As for what you should/could buy, the Mad Dogs are great, but may not have enough bass for you. The Beyerdynamic DT770 are another option, they are bassy. There's also the Sennheiser Momentums.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Grado just dropped the "i" designation from their entire line and replaced it with an "e" (as in SR60e).

Still waiting to find out what that actually means besides, "more refined and just better."

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Midorka posted:

Well NC does nothing to cover up the noises of typing or talking. It would reduce the humming of the computers but any decent closed headphone will provide ample isolation so that with music playing you're not going to hear the sounds.

As for what you should/could buy, the Mad Dogs are great, but may not have enough bass for you. The Beyerdynamic DT770 are another option, they are bassy. There's also the Sennheiser Momentums.

Thanks. Will they be ok on an airplane as well?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

Thanks. Will they be ok on an airplane as well?

I don't see why not, as long as you don't listen at very loud levels, though for public use I prefer IEMs.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the last page - you all were totally helpful in making a decision.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

hotsauce posted:

http://r.ebay.com/VDeJic

Best Bluetooth noise canceling headphones I've found. Logitech doesn't sell them any more they were over $400 when they sold them. They work very well on flights and have a little button on the left can that allows you to hear when the noise cancellation is active (to talk to the flight attendant, etc). You never have to take them off.

$209 shipped for these is a great deal. I love mine. Yes they are authentic. We have two sets and both were brand new.

The sound is really incredible as well.

Thanks so much for the recommendation, these look like what I'm after - gonna go ahead and order. Appreciate it!!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

Thanks so much for the recommendation, these look like what I'm after - gonna go ahead and order. Appreciate it!!

Cool. I love mine. FWIW they are heavy and after your first use you will feel it but you get used to it. After 2 weeks I don't even notice. The seller accepts returns if you decide to bail on them. I'm betting you will really like them though. Also the micro USB port is pretty tight.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Budget 200$ pref less
Source desktop work computer (lync)/HTC droid dna
Isolation: doesn't matter
Preferred: circumaural, supra, open or closed
Past: grados, life chat headset, IEM
Music: lync convos, folk, 70s punk, blues

Looking at jabra revo BT. Is wireless a terrible idea? Also want to use these as work headset for phone calls so a mic would be nice but not mandatory

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

Budget 200$ pref less
Source desktop work computer (lync)/HTC droid dna
Isolation: doesn't matter
Preferred: circumaural, supra, open or closed
Past: grados, life chat headset, IEM
Music: lync convos, folk, 70s punk, blues

Looking at jabra revo BT. Is wireless a terrible idea? Also want to use these as work headset for phone calls so a mic would be nice but not mandatory

See two posts above. I know it sounds like I'm hawking these Logitechs but they are really great.

They are Bluetooth or wired have a mic for conversations and noise canceling. The N/C is optional on wired but always on with Bluetooth. The wired option can be used without a battery (with for noise canceling).

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Midorka posted:

I don't see why not, as long as you don't listen at very loud levels, though for public use I prefer IEMs.

Thanks, I am leaning towards the Sennheiser Momentums. Are they a good choice in your estimation?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If money is no object:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331227747866

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

Thanks, I am leaning towards the Sennheiser Momentums. Are they a good choice in your estimation?

They isolate nicely and have a crisp sound in my demos.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm in the market for some new buds for work (I work overnights stocking shelves at a supermarket and listening to muzak all night every night is taking its toll on my sanity).

Budget - Under $50, preferably around $25
Source - Motorola Moto X
Isolation Requirements - Don't care
Preferred Type - IEMs or Earbuds
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX200
Preferred Music - Electronic, metal, things of that nature

I haven't heard these, but they've been getting good reviews all over.
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiao...xiaomi+piston+2

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Someone just reviewed them on Reddit and said they were great. They spray the cable winder with a chocolate aroma though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The Pistons are supposed to be very good but there are a ton of fakes floating around.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Any within the IEM know tried the Jaybird Bluebuds X? I love my Sennheiser MM550s because no cables, but I'm not going to hit up a new brand I've never heard of just for the Bluetooth when I already got a pair of Shure SE215s.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I tried the Jaybirds for a while, I really wanted to like them but there were just so many design flaws. Here's an abbreviated list:
  • Random issues with range, like sometimes it was fine, sometimes it'd start dropping out literally three feet from my phone. I used it with my iPhone and MacBook and it had the same problem with both. I don't know if it was an issue with the firmware or something but that's about where I gave up on them.
  • The cable is intended to wrap around behind your head and the length is managed by two plastic clips that slip off really easily, especially if there's no tension. The ear tips come off really easy too, there's absolutely nothing holding them to the headphones. I learned really quickly not to put them in my pocket or bag without a case.
  • Audio quality sounded alright, but I'm not an audiophile. It uses the SBC codec, which is the lovely one... you'd expect apt-X at that price point.
  • I bought a pair for me and my sister, I eventually managed to find the right fit (and eventually got used to the feel of the ear cushions) but she complained that none of the sizes/adjustments worked and couldn't really use them. It's really critical that the ear cushions fit snug so they don't fall out so if the sizes provided don't work for you, you're screwed.
  • Another thing about the cable behind your head - it actually has some friction to it so it has a tendency to tug at the earbuds and pull them out. REALLY bad design.
  • Battery life is as advertised at least. And they didn't skip out on the bass or something to achieve that.

Now I have a pair of Beats Studio Wireless for home, which are awesome, and a pair of wired Sennheiser CX890s for the gym.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

The Pistons are supposed to be very good but there are a ton of fakes floating around.

There are fakes of an unknown company's $25 headphones? I'm not calling you out, I'm just perplexed that someone would bother copying a headphone that maybe 500 people will buy.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Midorka posted:

There are fakes of an unknown company's $25 headphones? I'm not calling you out, I'm just perplexed that someone would bother copying a headphone that maybe 500 people will buy.

There are fakes of everything that has ever had a cad file or tool cross the floor of a factory. Bootleg plastic bottles. Hula hoops. Shoelaces. If there is any demand for it at all it will be bootlegged. Especially crap like small consumer electronics and headphones.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If anyone is thinking about picking up the Jays a-Jays Five for iOS in black, I've got 2 brand new pairs unopened and looking to get rid of them.

Thinking $60 shipped or so. If you are interested I'll make a thread in SA Mart so everything is kosher.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Midorka posted:

Try looking for the Pistons on eBay, you'll see price points starting at like $8 with only stock photos on the auction. I perused the Piston thread on Head-fi, there's a lot of complaints about fakes there as well.

PS: Xiaomi's not unknown, they just passed the iPhone in terms of phone sales in China

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got Superlux HD-668 B's today and they are sweet. I use them with Tubemagic D1+ which could be a bit overkill for 56 ohms but whatever.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Sennheiser Momentums came in today. After a few hours of listening, I am a huge fan. Much better sound than any of the more expensive noise canceling headphones I have bought in the past. Thank you so much

I am a bit concerned they might be too small for my ears, I will figure that out over the next few days. Is this a terribly nerdy way to carry them?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Considering the people I see walking through the airport wearing huge cans, no.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I impulse bought some Pistons on Amazon from "Boat2014." $25 and they will be here on Sat. The reviews seem to suggest the seller is legit and sending authentic headphones.

We shall see.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

Try looking for the Pistons on eBay, you'll see price points starting at like $8 with only stock photos on the auction. I perused the Piston thread on Head-fi, there's a lot of complaints about fakes there as well.

PS: Xiaomi's not unknown, they just passed the iPhone in terms of phone sales in China

Well I stand corrected then.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Hey, I need a new pair of headphones for working out and just walking around. I have had two Sennheiser CX685s (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Ad...nnheiser+sports), and they have both worked great until the cord would break at some point about a year in. I liked that they hooked into my ears in a way that was both firm and gentle. Also, they were otherwise generally durable. I have had a couple other IEMs that broke in under 6 months (usually the cord). Should I just expect that any headphones under repeated stress are going to break eventually (and just buy the cx685s again), or is there another option out there?

Budget - Under $75, Preferably around $50
Source - Samsung Galaxy S3
Isolation Requirements - Moderate
Preferred Type - IEMs
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX685, Sennheiser HD448, Thinksound Rain 9mm High Definition, Platinum ev-Series IHX-PLAT-EV, Logitech Ultimate Ears 350 Noise-Isolating Earphones
Preferred Music - Rap, Classical, Funk

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Type - Headset with microphone
Budget - $50-$70, obviously cheaper is better
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Nothing really, use them in a living room
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear preferably
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'll be using them for gaming chat, clear vocals are most important for me
Past Headphones - a long line of whatever over-ear headsets showed up at best buy or whatever for ~$20-$30. I do like microphones that have a flexible cable rather than hard plastic. Inline volume controls are cool. I did not, however, enjoy when the pads wear down into a tattered mess. Comfort is also big, I'd enjoy one with a padded headband.
Preferred Music - won't use them much for music

My cheap gaming headset broke and I need a new one. I prefer a over-ear headset with a built-in mic. I know I could buy something cheap for around $30, but I'm tired of my headsets breaking all the time. So that's the main reason I'm willing to put some extra money into it; if I spend two or three times as much money but it lasts two or three times as long then everything works out. (and it doesn't hurt that it'll be a nicer model)

Alternatively, a great warranty would work just as well as a great build quality. I know Koss has some lifetime warranties on some of their stuff.

Sound quality isn't the most important thing to me. Partially just because I'm not into super hifi audio, but also because I have partial hearing loss in my right ear so I'm not sure I'd even benefit from things like virtual surround sound. Then again, maybe if the headphones have separate volume controls for each ear and I can crank it up a little on the right side, that might be really helpful.

Mic quality is also fairly important, I don't want to inconvenience/annoy people I'm talking to with a mic that sounds like garbage.

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Amplif...=gaming+headset This turtle beach thing looks fairly decent. Any other suggestions?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
The headphones I bought today came with this thing, what the heck is it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Adapter for in-flight audio on old passenger planes.

You'll typically only see them on planes old enough to have ash trays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

terre packet posted:

The headphones I bought today came with this thing, what the heck is it?

How old are these cans?