Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yeah, if you think about it pot is just like guns in this sense. If it is dangerous* then you want it to be legal so it can be regulated, otherwise it's all in the hands of people who don't really care about complying with laws and regulations in the first place.

*I don't believe pot to be harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Are there any companies in CO that sell THC e-cig juice? I know there are various pen vapes and the like that work with pinches of raw herb, but something that is interchangeable with nicotine cartridges in the same device would be a boon to harm reduction.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Colorado’s poster boy for ‘stoned driving’ was drunk off his gourd

Kilbey had a blood-alcohol concentration of .268, more than three times the legal limit. The current legal limit is .08. People with Kilbey’s BAC typically experience severely impaired motor function, loss of consciousness and memory blackout.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/06/06/colorados-poster-boy-for-stoned-driving-was-drunk-off-his-gourd/

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Elotana posted:

Are there any companies in CO that sell THC e-cig juice? I know there are various pen vapes and the like that work with pinches of raw herb, but something that is interchangeable with nicotine cartridges in the same device would be a boon to harm reduction.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pot-boom-e-cigs-sales-set-soar-colo-article-1.1567304

NY Daily News posted:

“I hit it all day, every day, and one cartridge lasts me for a couple of weeks,” said an employee of the Evergreen Apothecary, who gave only his first name, Connor. “I tried going back to regular pot and it tasted terrible, like a cigarette.”

It's weird that all of the articles seem to mention cartridges, since I thought that style of ecig was relatively passee outside of the gas station market. I suppose bottles of juice aren't far behind though.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also the guy who wanted to "Fly off his balcony he was so high, like that comic from spider man" actually tripped and fell to his death.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Nonsense posted:

Also the guy who wanted to "Fly off his balcony he was so high, like that comic from spider man" actually tripped and fell to his death.

It's bizarre how often this is presented as a justification for cannabis prohibition given the number of boozed up nitwits who jump off a roof into a swimming pool and break their spine.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

KingEup posted:

It's bizarre how often this is presented as a justification for cannabis prohibition given the number of boozed up nitwits who jump off a roof into a swimming pool and break their spine.

Or drive. While our DUI laws are pretty stupid, if they've stopped a single person from getting behind the wheel sloshed then I can't complain much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elotana posted:

When I was in Denver two weeks ago they absolutely were selling e-cigs with replaceable chambers with 3 different strains available for sale. Smooth and clean taste and portable, clean and easy to use. They were priced at $36-$40 per cartridge $5 for the battery/heating element at the places I went to and were supposedly good for around 150 hits per cartridge not that I can verify that claim. Assuming they don't give you mega cancer I can't fathom a reason other than ultra-specfic strain preference to not use those in lieu of other inhalation methods.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Elotana posted:

There are also rechargeable pen vaporizers, and heads for regular e-cigs that can both be used for vaping hash. Not only is it [supposedly] less harmful, it's more pleasant than smoking because it doesn't irritate your throat or smell very much.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
If you think you can fly, try taking off from the ground.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

The modern liberal prerogative is to ban things unless you can justify not banning them especially when emotional strings like "the children" are involved. The irony would be humorous if not for the ideological bankruptcy behind it.

What the gently caress are you talking about too? Liberal perogative? Banning marriage comes straight to mind but what about literally the thread we're in? How long has this one specific drug been banned? Why? We know the answers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I should hope that Powercrazy means liberal in the sense that Tony Blair and George Bush are both liberals. In that case there is some merit to it. Otherwise no.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Elotana posted:

You bet. This isn't the only one out there, either. The battery is a standard 510 unit.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...isrc=burger_bar

Right now, legalization prospects look good. Alaska may or may not go recreational in November; in 2016, California almost certainly will.

Oddly enough, I think Alaska might be a bigger selling point than California. When a dyed-red state votes to legalize pot, it may bring some conservatives on board the green train. :2bong:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AYC posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...isrc=burger_bar

Right now, legalization prospects look good. Alaska may or may not go recreational in November; in 2016, California almost certainly will.

Oddly enough, I think Alaska might be a bigger selling point than California. When a dyed-red state votes to legalize pot, it may bring some conservatives on board the green train. :2bong:

If Alaska was going to be a selling point it probably already would have been so long ago. Marijuana possession for personal use up to 4 oz has been state-legal there since 1975 due to ACTIVIST JUDGES :bahgawd:, it's just the industry that's up for legalization.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I should hope that Powercrazy means liberal in the sense that Tony Blair and George Bush are both liberals. In that case there is some merit to it. Otherwise no.

I mean "liberal" in the perverted absolutist, america-centric, "team politics" way. "Liberals" want to ban (wrong)speech and guns and who cares what else, conservatives want to ban (wrong)marriage, abortion and whatever else, and they both want to keep (most)drugs banned.

I'm not a fan of prohibiting harmless hobbies, legislating "right" think or regulating private, or public activities with goal of eliminating dissent just because they differ from what I believe in or prefer to do, so I don't really fit into those teams, and I look down on those that identify with either of them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Maybe "authoritarian" is the word you're looking for.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Woof. I couldn't make it through the training period as a trimmer with LivWell. It's like a factory more than anything else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Trimming gets boring as gently caress. I heard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SedanChair posted:

Trimming gets boring as gently caress. I heard.

Not when you're trying to do ten plants a day.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Welcome to the wide world of manufacturing!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jago posted:

Pretty much. I think the closest I've ever had to a job in manufacturing is in food service, and that's probably not even in the same solar system.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Jago posted:

Yeah, but given that this is manufacturing, it's only a matter of time before automated systems are developed and widely-adopted, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Yeah, but given that this is manufacturing, it's only a matter of time before automated systems are developed and widely-adopted, right?

I asked about that too and they already have mechanical tumblers that will trim and scruff the plants.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Agriculture has undergone a lot of mechanization, but picking and trimming are still almost always done manually.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Realizing this is more the "abstract discussion" thread and less the "play-by-play" advocacy thread, a little good news:

- Oregon has collected over 100k signatures for their IP 53, of 83,000 valid needed. Full recreational for 21+, sales administered by Liquor Control Board, taxes $35/oz, polling Tuesday running 51% for, 41% against.
- DC looking cautiously optimistic for Initiative 71, racing to hit the 23k signature quota by 7 July. Reminder that January polling in DC showed adults (not necessarily voters) 63% for, 34% against.
- Alaska turned in their 45k sigs (30k valid required) and got certified in February, so Ballot Measure 2 locked in for November 2014. Serious cash influx from Marijuana Policy Project, way more than the trickle of funding going to the anti- group "Big Marijuana Big Mistake". BMBM has some... interesting angle on their website. As of February, Alaska voters are running 55% for, 39% against.

Just a broad update. I'm keeping all the nitty-gritty about campaigning in the A/T thread, since the TCC legal thread is pretty quiet.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 16, 2014

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Remember back when Maureen Dowd ate too much of her edible and tripped balls for 8 hours? Turns out she omitted some important details about her experience that indicates she's either a complete dunce or went out of her way to negatively portray legalized cannabis.

http://www.denverpost.com/carroll/ci_25937294/maureen-dowds-big-adventure-edibles

quote:

Maureen Dowd asks us to believe that a highly intelligent, well-traveled writer for one of the world's leading newspapers casually overdosed on a THC-infused candy bar in her Denver hotel room because she had no idea how much a novice should eat.

The experience was so bad, The New York Times columnist wrote earlier this month, that she "lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours," convinced that "I had died and no one was telling me."

This is a most peculiar tale. Does Dowd know how to divide by 10?

You wouldn't know it from her column, but Colorado law requires edible marijuana products manufactured for retail sale to feature the total amount of THC in milligrams. Meanwhile, the labels also contain this advisement: "The standardized serving size for this product includes no more than 10 mg of Active THC."

These rules have been in place since the first day of retail sales in January, according to a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Revenue, which oversees marijuana regulation. So a novice interested in avoiding an overdose would divide the total milligrams by 10 and consume an amount somewhat smaller than the "standardized serving size" — and perhaps significantly smaller if she were prudent.

Dowd gives no hint that such information was available. She says she "nibbled off the end," as if making a blind stab at the right amount, "and then, when nothing happened, nibbled some more. ... What could go wrong with a bite or two?"

Did she wait "two or more hours" for the intoxicating effects to kick in before nibbling again? Retail edibles packages offer that warning, too, as mandated by state law.

What is still more curious about Dowd's account is that before she returned to her hotel, she had been given a dispensary tour by My 420 Tours co-founder Matt Brown, who warned her how to use edibles. You won't find that in her column, either. The Cannabist's Ricardo Baca ran down this fact, and Dowd confirmed it when Baca inquired.

"What could go wrong with a bite or two?" Dowd wondered. How could anyone who had taken Brown's tour and read the packaging not have some idea?

I'm no apologist for the edibles industry. After buying an infused ginger snap cookie in April, I described it as an "accident waiting to happen" because of its daunting TCH content (100 mg) and its uncanny resemblance to a normal ginger snap.

I argued that stand-alone cookies (and, by extension, most other baked goods and candies) should only contain 10 mgs of THC to eliminate the tendency of consumers to break them up in rough approximation of what they desire. At the very least, portions should be demarcated on the product.

I also put in a good word for a bill, since passed, that requires marijuana edibles to be "shaped, stamped, colored, or otherwise marked with a standard symbol."

But my concern was primarily for children and for adults who encountered edibles, with no intermediary information, at parties, for example, or unpackaged at a friend's home. I wasn't thinking of those who ignore advice, discount labels or succumb to impatience.

It's not only that columns like Dowd's mislead out-of-staters. They also mislead Coloradans. Just this week, the dean of the school of medicine at the University of Colorado, Richard Krugman, sent an e-mail to colleagues in which he cited Dowd's column before claiming the "failure to require labels [on edibles] with potency information or warnings ... is a significant public health issue" in Colorado.

The edibles industry has some work to do, as its representatives will freely tell you. But if it's going to be denounced for its shortcomings, let them at least be real.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

You wouldn't know it from her column, but Colorado law requires edible marijuana products manufactured for retail sale to feature the total amount of THC in milligrams. Meanwhile, the labels also contain this advisement: "The standardized serving size for this product includes no more than 10 mg of Active THC."

I think that's been shown to be wildly inaccurate before, but yes she's definitely an idiot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It's almost exclusively been wrong in the other direction though (companies including almost nothing).

Frankly, I'm strongly suspecting she just made it up at this point. She clearly either has an axe to grind or aimed at empty sensationalism.

Also, can I count on you pro-pot guys, once you've gotten your poo poo locked down, to back us up on legalizing the other harmless (but significantly more socially valuable) drugs like LSD and Mescaline?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, can I count on you pro-pot guys, once you've gotten your poo poo locked down, to back us up on legalizing the other harmless (but significantly more socially valuable) drugs like LSD and Mescaline?
One step at a time, man. LSD doesn't have the same widespread existing usage, so I doubt they'll be anything more than a decriminalization effort underway.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm not actually convinced that LSD exists anymore at least not nearly in the quantities claimed. There are plenty of chemicals you can get that are sold as "LSD" but usually they turn out to be some of the dozens of other research compounds that claim to have similar effects.

Now if you just want any of those other chemicals fully legalized, well now you've opened a whole can of worms and I can't see that being a thing in our lifetime.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Powercrazy posted:

I'm not actually convinced that LSD exists anymore at least not nearly in the quantities claimed. There are plenty of chemicals you can get that are sold as "LSD" but usually they turn out to be some of the dozens of other research compounds that claim to have similar effects.

Now if you just want any of those other chemicals fully legalized, well now you've opened a whole can of worms and I can't see that being a thing in our lifetime.

There is still tons of it out there. Just need to go to festivals or know the right people. And use a test kit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GlyphGryph posted:

It's almost exclusively been wrong in the other direction though (companies including almost nothing).

Frankly, I'm strongly suspecting she just made it up at this point. She clearly either has an axe to grind or aimed at empty sensationalism.

I don't see any reason to think she made it up. Her description is an accurate description of getting way too high on an edible. She probably smoked in college and thought she was up to the challenge.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

AYC posted:

One step at a time, man. LSD doesn't have the same widespread existing usage, so I doubt they'll be anything more than a decriminalization effort underway.

Well, before LSD would come mushrooms I imagine. Buying a few grams at a store baked into chocolate wouldn't be too far off from the current weed edibles.

If it became socially acceptable to trip as opposed to just getting high, I would think other psychedelics would be on the table eventually?

Though I'm not sure the business model for LSD, since you need so little of it; when it was more widely available, how was it packaged? I could see people having acid parties and stuff, but it's the opposite of a casual drug. No one gets home from work and pops a few tabs. Plus, I think it has more of a stigma for some reason.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

when it was more widely available, how was it packaged? I could see people having acid parties and stuff, but it's the opposite of a casual drug. No one gets home from work and pops a few tabs. Plus, I think it has more of a stigma for some reason.

As a liquid, usually in a Visine bottle. I think each bottle was $100, and you'd make $500 if you split the doses and sold them individually. (also, when you're walking around with a dropper full of the stuff it definitely does kind of become a casual drug)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Strange Aeon posted:

Well, before LSD would come mushrooms I imagine. Buying a few grams at a store baked into chocolate wouldn't be too far off from the current weed edibles.

If it became socially acceptable to trip as opposed to just getting high, I would think other psychedelics would be on the table eventually?

Though I'm not sure the business model for LSD, since you need so little of it; when it was more widely available, how was it packaged? I could see people having acid parties and stuff, but it's the opposite of a casual drug. No one gets home from work and pops a few tabs. Plus, I think it has more of a stigma for some reason.
Yeah, I'd imagine mushrooms would be the next thing, since a lot of the arguments for legal weed can be flipped over to mushrooms with not too much trouble. There's also the "nature" argument, IE it grows naturally, so what's wrong with growing a few mushrooms for yourself? (Nothing.)

The hardest legalization hurdles will be anything that's mainly taken via injection; the "junkie" stigma is unfortunately alive and well, and sadly even basic health things like needle exchange programs are controversial.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Powercrazy posted:

Convince yourself otherwise. It's very available for those who look persistently, no need to settle for RCs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Remember that until fairly recently (~2005 I think?) mushrooms were legal to buy in the UK - unprepared only and 'not for consumption' but it wasn't at all unusual to just be able to walk into a headshop or visit a festival stall and pick up an afternoon's entertainment. I wonder if the demand is large enough to support a legalisation push though; even when they were available it was (or seemed to be) a fairly niche market :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd love to read a Maureen Dowd piece about when she ate mushroom chocolates containing the equivalent of two pounds of the stuff in a hotel room by herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It's a good point though - there's a lot less stigma associated with mushrooms (and maybe peyote?) than a purely artificial substance like LSD thanks to the whole naturalistic fallacy that's been popular lately, and if mushrooms and peyote were both legalized. Plus they aren't nearly as tightly coupled with the counter-culture anymore - LSD-likes brings up images of hippies, MDMA-likes make people worry about are children.

Since Peyote is actually semi-legal, and it's banning has faces numerous religious challenges, maybe that would be an even better 'next target' than shrooms?

AYC posted:

We're winning the pot war, after long, hard effort, and slowly - but pot is the easiest war to win, thanks to enduring popularity. I'd like to see us continue making progress on sensible drug policy, and it will be important for the "next target" to be lined up, to carry forward momentum and organization, if we're really going to try and overturn this prohibition paradigm - otherwise pot will be the next alcohol, and its successes, though significant, will end up simply representing another exception instead of the re-conceptualization of actual policy that we badly need. If we do lose the momentum, I'm not sure there's another drug left that would let us regain it, and official policy will become and remain "ban anything that's not popular enough".

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread