Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I'm excited at the possibility of a 3v3 - I don't think I can remember a well-coordinated multi-person fight in shounen since Mosquito in Soul Eater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I know this thread is titled Fairy Tail Manga but can we talk about the anime in here too? I just don't see any other FT thread so....

I was just curious if anyone watches the English dub? I just don't hear much talk about it online so I'm inquiring around to see how many people follow it.

I honestly consider it on par with anything else Funimation has ever done. That includes FMA '03, Brotherhood, Yu Yu Hakusho....anything. So many perfect casting choices, like Robert McCollum(Sensui) as Jellal, Patric Seitz as Laxus and a few others I don't know the name of. Rustyrose was excellent for example. (just finished the Tenrou Island Arc which is as far as the dub is right now)

I've thought about actually reading the FT manga but...well, can you blame me that I just can't imagine the series without that godly OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXT6VKGSSc

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 11, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Fairy Tail 388

Wendy cuts her hair because reasons!

Minerva isn't a bad person after all, because no one can't be redeemed in Fairy Tail!

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
not these guys again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simoom posted:

not these guys again.

You can't possibly be surprised. Dragonslayers just can't stay away from Fairy Tail.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Fairy Tail never particularly enthralling, but man it is nearly impossible to care about any of this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Harry posted:

Fairy Tail never particularly enthralling, but man it is nearly impossible to care about any of this.

Christ, this. I really don't care about these two, and Minerva is a level beyond them on the apathy spectrum. Why can't she just be evil? She did some really terrible poo poo. I mean, I think she did, I can't remember any of it because Fairy Tail.

EDIT: A google has told me that Minerva's dad tried to blow up Sting's cat but she teleported it away instead and held it hostage to make him try harder in the games. So... yeah.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 14, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think she...beat up some good guys? Didn't she kill her dad? That's probably a net positive though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sindai posted:

I think she...beat up some good guys? Didn't she kill her dad? That's probably a net positive though.

Pretty sure that was Sting.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, Sting thought Minerva's dad nuked his cat, so he freaked out and shot a laser through his stomach.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't even remember why she joined that dark guild in the first place. She tried to beat up Erza, but that was during the tournament? I don't think she committed any crimes aside from saving one of the crappy cats (those two are awful). Also, during the one arc she was with a dark guild she didn't really do anything besides trying to beat up Erza again. She didn't freeze the village, and she wasn't even the only person after the treasure.

It is kind of weird how they convert people into demons without bothering to alter their minds, though. Also, if demons use curses rather than magic, why was Minerva using the same magic she always had?

Mashima just can't do a coherent narrative, not that this is news to anyone.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think the only reason she joined the dark guild was because she was pissed off at Erza and Sabertooth were now best buds with Fairy Tail or something.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT: A google has told me that Minerva's dad tried to blow up Sting's cat but she teleported it away instead and held it hostage to make him try harder in the games. So... yeah.

That is pretty evil. I mean those cats are loving horrible, and she went and ensured one would just keep popping up like herpes.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I like Frosch.

I just looked up these characters and they're all funky colors. In my imagination all the cats are pretty much white. :(

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Christ, this. I really don't care about these two, and Minerva is a level beyond them on the apathy spectrum. Why can't she just be evil? She did some really terrible poo poo. I mean, I think she did, I can't remember any of it because Fairy Tail.

On the anime episode this week(or last 2 weeks) she captured Milliana(?), forced Erza and Kagura to fight and she would release Milli after the fight was done. When the fight was over she was released only to reveal she was tortured by Minerva since she was bored waiting for the fight to end.

But she did it for Sabertooth so Erza can forgive it because nakama. v:v:v

e: Oh yeah, this was after Minerva stabbed Kagura from behind so Sabertooth could get the points for the battle. Nakama!

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 15, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did the anime get picked back up? I know there was talk of it coming back, but I thought it was still in dead in the middle of the arc land.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Gyges posted:

Did the anime get picked back up? I know there was talk of it coming back, but I thought it was still in dead in the middle of the arc land.

It started up again in Spring and began where it left off. Don't think its ending anytime soon. Probably at the end of the Eclipse/Grand Magic Games arc since there has been trouble keeping the anime around.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

Mashima just can't do a coherent narrative, not that this is news to anyone.
My favorite part of Fairy Tail is this is true, but somehow it is also impossible to remember what happened so you can't manage to really work up any care.

As opposed to Naruto where every horrible moment in the last couple years just comes rushing back.

I sort of vaguely thought the reforming dark guild of characters I can't remember and the snake guy were going to show up, but nah, here's some other random characters instead. Whatever. Fairy Tail gonna thrash around as it does.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The key to Fairy Tail is to enjoy bad guys getting punched and try not to think too hard because Mashima apparently doesn't either.

To be fair, Mashima is pretty drat good at creating satisfying face punching scenes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'll give credit to fairy tail for keeping a good pace, unlike say, naruto, which almost nothing has happened for over a year.

Although this whole thing with minerva got resolved much faster than I thought it would.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Shugojin posted:

The key to Fairy Tail is to enjoy bad guys getting punched and try not to think too hard because Mashima apparently doesn't either.

To be fair, Mashima is pretty drat good at creating satisfying face punching scenes.

I'll agree Mashima can get some good moments, but most of the time he seems to just throw in scenes and events without regard to proper character arcs or thematic build-up. He thinks that by telling us something is sad, we'll believe him. Most of his "character development" is cheap copying of better works with the fanservice turned way up and oh my god I just realized...

Mashima is a troper.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mashima is a successful professional mangaka. If he simply posted on the internet about the manga he was planning to make someday he would be a troper.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just finished watching the anime episodes on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. Great pacing for anything based of a manga. It reminded me of One Piece but a lot faster and bit less beautiful absurdity. That said the owl-man with a jet pack was pretty great.

My only question is where is this going? Is there any end game in sight or is this story just trying to keep going until it gets cancelled? I like the show but no matter how good an anime is I'll probably tune out after 100 episodes of dragging rear end with out any progress.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My only question is where is this going? Is there any end game in sight or is this story just trying to keep going until it gets cancelled? I like the show but no matter how good an anime is I'll probably tune out after 100 episodes of dragging rear end with out any progress.

It takes a really long while but eventually a clearer picture of the main plot emerges.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The main goal is "What the gently caress happened to Igneel and co."

Who the gently caress knows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just finished watching the anime episodes on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. Great pacing for anything based of a manga. It reminded me of One Piece but a lot faster and bit less beautiful absurdity. That said the owl-man with a jet pack was pretty great.

The main plot becomes fairly clear once you learn more about Zeref.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm fairly sexy.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fairy Tail Manga Thread 3: Eventually a clearer picture of the main plot emerges

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 389:

NEXT WEEK: The answer to the question everybody already figured out. :allears:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm glad those two idiots can't do anything.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can we please go back to Lucy and Erza being awesome rather than the rest of these boring idiots?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Chapter 389:

NEXT WEEK: The answer to the question everybody already figured out. :allears:

Hey, to be fair, we weren't sure if it is really Gray's dad or a demon wearing his face.

But seriously, the rest of the chapter was boring. The sooner we cut to Gajeel's fight, the better.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I can't believe he just spent pages on the antiheroes from last arc who spent the entire arc getting owned fighting a secondary villain from this arc who has no importance.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm enjoying it.

Frosch is the best.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Chapter and the reveal about Silver.

I did not see it coming.

I had guessed that Silver was a Demon that was wearing Gray's father's corpse as a suit. But that the Demon wearing him being Deliora I did expect.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, that was actually pretty surprising and even a decent twist. I'm more interested though in the news that Fairy Tail is getting a spin off manga. I wonder who's writing it, who it'll be about and if it'll be as good a spin-off as Springtime of Youth.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Crossing my fingers for Gajeel's House of Blues.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well one thing we saw coming mile away and a pretty good twist that I did not see coming and actually sort of makes me care about the fight.

Also, really surprised that FT is this popular. it's a fun dumb manga, but didnt' think it get a spinoff.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 27, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Monaghan posted:

Also, really surprised that FT is this popular. it's a fun dumb manga, but didnt' think it get a spinoff.

Fairy Tail's one of Kodansha's most popular titles, second only to Attack on Titan.

tsob posted:

Yea, that was actually pretty surprising and even a decent twist. I'm more interested though in the news that Fairy Tail is getting a spin off manga. I wonder who's writing it, who it'll be about and if it'll be as good a spin-off as Springtime of Youth.

Only thing definite is that Mashima is doing an origin story for Fairy Tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I kind of though the name reveal was obvious already. Still good though!

• Locked thread