Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Withdrawal Plans posted:

From "The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American 80s" by Paul Slansky:

9/10/1986

Director John Landis reveals the hitherto-unguessed-at depths of his immaturity when, following the hostile testimony of a witness, he blocks her exit with his outstretched legs and makes her climb over him.

5/29/1987

(He is acquitted) "My wife and I are still in a daze," exults John Landis, two days later to USA Today. "I'm having lox and bagels by the pool."

6/25/1988

John Landis invites the jury that acquitted him of involuntary manslaughter to a private screening of his new Eddie Murphy film "Coming to America". He does not offer to fly them in by helicopter.

He's a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Honestly, this isn't even the craziest theory people have put forward. In the Death Valley Germans case, some internet people theorized that the missing family had somehow been vanished by the US Government for getting too close to a military facility. :v:

All I can figure is that a.) the ranger was lazy/negligent and really not watching the parking lot as he went past, b.) the ranger had poor eyesight, or c.) he lied about even going out to search and sat twiddling his thumbs at HQ the whole time.

Honestly, it just sounds like the dude wanted to get lost or start a new life or whatever. He could have easily just forgotten something or needed to buy something so he drove away and then back to the parking lot but in a different parking spot - this explains the different eye-witness reports on location of the car, and also the officer not seeing any car at all. He went to a different location than he told his fiance and gave her a bum phone number so he could get out of his life.

CodfishCartographer has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Jun 14, 2014

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
It would explain almost everything, except there's the troublesome business of the cellphone ping received on that Sunday morning. Apparently, according to the physics of it and what Verizon told the investigators, the phone must have been within ~10 miles of a certain cell tower in Joshua Tree National Park. It must have also been turned on at the time the ping was sent. Which raises the question of why his phone stopped pinging after he called his girlfriend on Thursday morning, and then it suddenly pings, just once, briefly, from within the park and the vicinity of the cell tower, three days after his initial disappearance.

The lack of pings in the intervening period had to be because the phone was either off or out of range of any towers. He probably turned the phone off after he called his girlfriend, but then what? Why were there no pings until that final, lone ping from within a remote part of the park?

If he staged his disappearance, he went to great lengths and did an incredible job manufacturing misleading evidence.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

It would explain almost everything, except there's the troublesome business of the cellphone ping received on that Sunday morning. Apparently, according to the physics of it and what Verizon told the investigators, the phone must have been within ~10 miles of a certain cell tower in Joshua Tree National Park. It must have also been turned on at the time the ping was sent. Which raises the question of why his phone stopped pinging after he called his girlfriend on Thursday morning, and then it suddenly pings, just once, briefly, from within the park and the vicinity of the cell tower, three days after his initial disappearance.

The lack of pings in the intervening period had to be because the phone was either off or out of range of any towers. He probably turned the phone off after he called his girlfriend, but then what? Why were there no pings until that final, lone ping from within a remote part of the park?

If he staged his disappearance, he went to great lengths and did an incredible job manufacturing misleading evidence.

I dunno, I've gotten random text messages even while my phone is in airplane mode, so maybe it was some weird fluke like that? The cell phone thing is the only bit that throws me off about it. I'm not sure how cell phone pinging works, but is it possible he accidentally turned his phone on by accident, then quickly turned it back off again? If he was hiking through Joshua Tree Natl Park to escape, it'd make sense he could have passed within range of the tower.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Y'know, I just looked at the cell tower on a map, and, well. There's a lot more than just parkland within a 10 mile radius of the tower. Your idea makes sense that way: maybe he was chilling in Yucca Valley or Twentynine Palms, enjoying his new life, when he accidentally turned his phone on and then off again.

All of the searchers assume that the ping had to be from within the park, but since the cell tower couldn't give a bearing, it could just as well have been from outside the park.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think what's most likely is that he's dead somewhere in that ten mile radius and no one has found the body yet. Confident hikers and backpackers do stupid poo poo all the time because they think they are skilled enough to get away with it. If he was injured and delirious from something like a snake bite he could have easily wandered off and gotten himself stuck. That area is punishingly hot and not a good place to get stuck in, if he was hurt he probably would have tried to find some kind of shelter even if it was just under some brush or an overhang and that would make it harder for people to find his body. As for the phone it probably ran out of battery and he tried one last ditch effort to turn it back on. One of the people in that thread makes a very good point, which is that the topo maps for the area end at a point west of the mountain and that it's possible he (using the topo maps combined with the park map) incorrectly gauged the distance of a road that lies to the west of the mountain and if/when he was injured or out of water he tried to make it to the road not realizing how far away it was.

A good thing to bring up is distance in an environment like that. Even experienced hikers get tricked by clear air in hot climates, the phrase you hear is "leave for lunch, get back after dinner" because it's really easy to misjudge distances in that kind of area. Stuff often looks much much closer than it is and people in bad situations sometimes make what seem like poor decisions to armchair hikers. Mainly they leave established trails who's distance they know because it seems like a road, town or light they can see in the distance is much closer than it actually is.

Although if the thing about those people is true it seems awfully suspicious.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Although Listverse seems to be quite happy to quote stories about mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis, two I found were 10 mysterious cases involving unidentified people and 10 Mysterious Disappearances of Multiple People interesting. The best one is The Crew of the Sarah Joe.

quote:

On February 19, 1979, five men from the Hawaiian island of Maui – Benjamin Kalama, Ralph Malaiakini, Scott Moorman, Patrick Woesner, and Peter Hanchett—went on a fishing trip on a vessel called the “Sarah Joe”. The boat and its crew all vanished after a terrible storm hit the area. It would seem obvious that the five men probably got lost at sea and drowned, but things got really weird in 1988 when pieces of the “Sarah Joe” were found on an island over 2000 miles away.

An unmarked shallow grave was also found on the island where the remains of Scott Moorman were buried under a pile of rocks. However, no trace of the other four men was found, so if they were the ones who buried him, what happened to them afterward? And if they didn’t bury him, then who did? To make things even weirder, this island had apparently already been searched a couple years beforehand and no one found the pieces of the Sarah Joe or the grave at that time. The fate of the four other missing men and the mystery of how Scott Moorman was buried remains unsolved.

The story dosn't mention if it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Atmus posted:

I used to process worker's compensation claims. Machinery, Glass, and Tomfoolery were the biggest sources of claims. 'Lifted too much' and 'Tripped' were waaay off in the distance.

I've never filed a worker's comp claim, do they really have "Tomfoolery" as an option as to why the worker got hurt?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Comstar posted:

Although Listverse seems to be quite happy to quote stories about mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis, two I found were 10 mysterious cases involving unidentified people and 10 Mysterious Disappearances of Multiple People interesting. The best one is The Crew of the Sarah Joe.

The story dosn't mention if it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.

The suggested theory by several places is that they were found somewhere else by Asian fishermen and buried there. The body was buried with a stack of paper and foil which is a tradition in a lot of Asian cultures. I suspect all of them died pretty soon after drifting off and eventually the boat marooned itself on a sandbar or atol (which is why the survey didn't find the grave) where it was found by fishermen. They probably assumed by the fact that the boat was for short distances and since it was found in an area populated by Asian fishermen that the corpse was also an Asian fisherman and so they buried him in the local style next to the sea on whatever larger landmass was close and then never told any government or national body about it because they assumed he was a local. And they didn't find that much of him either, when whoever found him discovered him he might have been not much more than a few bones in the bottom of a boat.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
Countess Elizabeth Bathory was like a real-life Ramsay Snow. By the time she finally went on trial, she had tortured and killed anywhere from 80 to 650 people. It's disturbing to think of how many sadistic aristocratic fucks must have got away with kidnapping, torture and murder because they killed less people than she did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countess_Bathory

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The suggested theory by several places is that they were found somewhere else by Asian fishermen and buried there. The body was buried with a stack of paper and foil which is a tradition in a lot of Asian cultures. I suspect all of them died pretty soon after drifting off and eventually the boat marooned itself on a sandbar or atol (which is why the survey didn't find the grave) where it was found by fishermen. They probably assumed by the fact that the boat was for short distances and since it was found in an area populated by Asian fishermen that the corpse was also an Asian fisherman and so they buried him in the local style next to the sea on whatever larger landmass was close and then never told any government or national body about it because they assumed he was a local. And they didn't find that much of him either, when whoever found him discovered him he might have been not much more than a few bones in the bottom of a boat.

Ah, yes, traditional Asian burial rites.

The ocean's awfully big. Boats are small. That boat, or debris of it, could have drifted for a long loving time, and it's indeed entirely possible that whoever found the body buried it because what the heck else are you going to do with a body.

Debris moves around at sea quite a lot; there's been cases of navigation buoys carried away by ice from the St Lawrence River popping up a few years later in Ireland or what not.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FrozenVent posted:

Debris moves around at sea quite a lot; there's been cases of navigation buoys carried away by ice from the St Lawrence River popping up a few years later in Ireland or what not.

OK, this is neither scary nor unnerving but I hope it will pass: Friendly Floatees.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The thing that bugs me most about those kind of wrecks? Often no effort is made to clean up the pavement. An intersection near my parents' house was smeared with some poor motorcyclists' dried blood for over a year after he was wiped out by some idiot running the stop sign.

When I was a kid I flipped off my bicycle and cracked my skull on the sidewalk. There was a blood stain on the cement for a long time.

Content: Charles Bonnet Syndrome. If you have vision loss, you can start hallucinating things that aren't there. Particularly people. Small, creepy people in costumes who constantly make eye contact. From the drat Interesting article:

quote:

A significant percentage of patients also describe floating, disembodied faces that squirm into their field of vision at random times. These often have wide, unblinking eyes; prominent teeth; and features reminiscent of a stone gargoyle.

Images of people are a common occurrence, though familiar faces are seldom seen. Most of the apparitions are strangers, although there are many reports of grieving people seeing their deceased loved ones during such hallucination episodes. These phantom people normally wear pleasant expressions on their faces as they loiter in eerie silence, and they make frequent eye contact with the viewer. Curiously, a great number of these imaginary characters are described as wearing hats, sometimes along with elaborate costumes.

Although these strikingly realistic images are usually non-threatening, they cannot be easily banished. Often variations of the same images appear repeatedly, but the items are seldom anything with any particular emotional meaning. In fact, they are frequently mundane items such as trucks or trees, though there are reports of dramatic scenes involving such things as funeral processions and dragons. The subjects of these visions are sometimes life-sized, but it is not uncommon for the hallucinations to appear in miniature, an effect called "lilliput hallucinations," named after the small Lilliputian people from Gulliver's Travels. Less frequently, visions will appear larger-than-life.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

benito posted:

Content: Charles Bonnet Syndrome. If you have vision loss, you can start hallucinating things that aren't there. Particularly people. Small, creepy people in costumes who constantly make eye contact. From the drat Interesting article:

quote:

A significant percentage of patients also describe floating, disembodied faces that squirm into their field of vision at random times. These often have wide, unblinking eyes; prominent teeth; and features reminiscent of a stone gargoyle.

That sounds a whole like those subtle effects they put in the newer editions of The Exorcist, the ones that are kinda like the after-images you get from flash photography.

Charles Bonnet Syndrome sounds creepy as gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All the things in this thread where your brain just stops working correctly unnerve the living hell out of me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And in a lot of cases, you'll be completely unaware that something is wrong.

Everything you know, everything you sense is handled by that squishy lump your skull. Your brain does a lot of filtering and interpolation, throwing away most of you see and hear.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Jun 14, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Charles Bonnet Syndrome has always SERIOUSLY creeped me out. I think it's because it's so specific. Like, if your brain just switched off and you fell over dead, I'd be less scared of that because it's just another thing that can kill you. But having such incredibly specific hallucinations, especially such bizarrely mundane ones, I dunno, just really gets under my skin.

Something similar is the Ganzfield effect. It's similar to sensory deprivation. If you stare long enough at a single field of colour, your brain almost goes into a "screensaver", and just...switches your eyes off. You just see black, and some people have reported hallucinations, because the brain is essentially scrambling for any other activity.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jun 14, 2014

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

a kitten posted:

All the things in this thread where your brain just stops working correctly unnerve the living hell out of me.

Actually, the scary part of Charles Bonnet Syndrome is that the part of your brain that fills in gaps in your optical processing is working overtime. Not enough data to do the normal filling in for your natural blind spots? Let's just add in some creepy little people and random teapots and stuff. Even in your day to day normal life, your brain is doing Lucas re-edits of the original Star Wars trilogy 24/7.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Shope Papilloma Virus

Generates keratinous carcinomas that pop through the rabbit's head, making the poor bastard eventually die since he can't eat. :( This led me to look for human papilloma virus, and holy poo poo, I'm so glad I have only a couple of small formations on my arm pit which are really hard to notice, because :gonk:

:nms:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you want some interesting sports weirdness, check out the story of Bison Dele, who was most likely murdered by his brother.

quote:

On 6 July 2002 Dele and his girlfriend, Serena Karlan, along with skipper Bertrand Saldo, sailed from Tahiti on Dele's catamaran, the Hukuna Matata.[3] Dele's brother, Miles Dabord (born Kevin Williams), was the only person involved in the voyage who was seen or heard from after 8 July 2002, when the last of three satellite phone calls from the voyage was made.[3] Dele and Karlan had previously kept regular contact with their banks and family members. On 20 July 2002 Miles Dabord brought the boat into Tahiti; he was alone aboard the vessel.[7]

On 5 September 2002 police used a sting operation organized by Dele's family and friends to detain Dabord in Phoenix, Arizona. Dabord had forged his brother's signature in order to buy US$152,000 worth of gold under his brother's name. He had used Dele's passport as identification.[8] Mexican police later found that Dabord had been staying at a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico. Two days before the Hukuna Matata, which had been registered in Tahiti under another name, was found off the coast of Tahiti with its name plate removed and some possible bullet holes patched. About the same time, Dabord phoned his and Dele's mother, Patricia Phillips, telling her that he would never hurt his brother and that he could not survive in prison.[9]

The FBI became involved in the investigation along with the French authorities and concluded that Dele, Karlan and Saldo were probably killed and then thrown overboard, or forced to walk off the boat into the ocean, by Dabord. Given that the bodies were likely dumped in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it would be highly unlikely that the three would ever be found.[2][8]

Dabord, the only first-person source of information regarding the case, intentionally overdosed on insulin and slipped into a coma. On 27 September 2002 Dabord died in a California hospital. In his account of events, Dabord said he and his brother had fought, that Karlan had been accidentally hit and died when her head struck part of the boat. The captain Saldo had wanted to report her death and a panicked Dele had killed him; Dabord then shot his brother in self-defense, threw the bodies overboard and subsequently fled back to the U.S.[3] After Dabord's suicide, officials did not expect to find much more regarding the case. A memorial service was then held for both Dabord and Dele.

Dabord and Dele were frequently at odds with each other. After Dabord's death, his lawyer and lifelong best friend, Paul White, was questioned regarding his client but gave little information about what happened. Dabord had said that he knew for sure that Dele and Karlan were in French Polynesia, but not much more other than that he was trying to help Dele.[8]

SI did a very compelling and detailed longform piece that can be found here.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The ranger's reports are trickier to explain. Apparently he was part of the search and had details about the missing hiker's car at the time he was driving through the park; that is, he knew to look out for a white sedan belonging to the missing person. The Juniper Flats parking lot is highly visible from the road, so it's baffling that the ranger never noticed the car on any of the 4 passes of the lot that happened between Friday PM and Saturday AM. All I can figure is that a.) the ranger was lazy/negligent and really not watching the parking lot as he went past, b.) the ranger had poor eyesight, or c.) he lied about even going out to search and sat twiddling his thumbs at HQ the whole time.

According to my extensive experience with TV police procedurals, this means the ranger killed and ate him.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Genetic diseases are all kinds of terrible, unnerving and usually depressing due to their tendency to affect and kill people that are still very young (ie children). Here's one that's pretty high on that chain. This entire article is probably :nms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrodysplasia_ossificans_progressiva

quote:

The effects of Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva, a disease which causes damaged soft tissue to regrow as bone. Sufferers are slowly imprisoned by their own skeletons.

One of the most tragic parts of this disease is that when a surgeon goes in to remove some of the extra-skeletal bone, the body will often re-grow more bone in the area (as if to spite any attempts to remove it). The picture on that article is from a man named Harry Eastlack, who died less than a week before his 40th birthday (how he lived to be almost 40 with this condition is probably worth a few :stare: on it's own).

quote:

At the time of his death his body had completely ossified; even his jaw locked up, leaving him able to move only his lips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Raymond_Eastlack

Thankfully this is a very rare disease, only occurring in 1 out of every 2 million births.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras%27s_syndrome

quote:

The Capgras delusion (or Capgras syndrome) (/kæpˈɡrɑː/, US dict: kăpgrâ′) [1] is a disorder in which a person holds a delusion that a friend,spouse,parent,or other close family member has been replaced by an identical-looking impostor. The Capgras delusion is classified as a delusional misidentification syndrome,a class of delusional beliefs that involves the misidentification of people,places,or objects (usually not in conjunction). [2] It can occur in acute,transient,or chronic forms. Cases in which patients hold the belief that time has been "warped" or "substituted" have also been reported.

Although it was never officailly diagnosed, but I think my brother might have had this. Once his schitzophrenia began to manfifest he became convince I was actually a nanobot colony, and that our mom was a series of clones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you want some interesting sports weirdness, check out the story of Bison Dele, who was most likely murdered by his brother.

SI did a very compelling and detailed longform piece that can be found here.
Someone literally brought this up at random at a party to me. Was it you? The mom comes off extremely bad in this.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Azran posted:

Shope Papilloma Virus

Generates keratinous carcinomas that pop through the rabbit's head, making the poor bastard eventually die since he can't eat. :( This led me to look for human papilloma virus, and holy poo poo, I'm so glad I have only a couple of small formations on my arm pit which are really hard to notice, because :gonk:

Is this how the Jackalope legend formed?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Someone literally brought this up at random at a party to me. Was it you? The mom comes off extremely bad in this.

Haha, no, I don't think I've ever talked about Bison Dele at a party. I'm from the Detroit area and he played for the Pistons so it's a pretty well-known story.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Probably.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Seems like that, yes. There is a picture of it in the wiki article too.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

There are a lot of Germanic names for taxidermy jackalopes, with Wolpertinger probably the most common and like the jackalope, inspired by the horrid fungus. A variant name is Poontinger, which I learned when I had the following wine for the first time:

Dr. Peter Poontinger Medium Dry Riesling. It presents something of a marketing challenge in the US.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras%27s_syndrome

Although it was never officailly diagnosed, but I think my brother might have had this. Once his schitzophrenia began to manfifest he became convince I was actually a nanobot colony, and that our mom was a series of clones.

More please! You cant just leave that there and walk out.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The Dahab Blue Hole.

The article is a little creepy, but mostly dry. The Dahab Blue Hole is a large sinkhole in the Red Sea that is a hotspot for scuba divers. There is a certain portion of the sinkhole called the arch, that is extremely dangerous - at least forty divers have died in there, and some locals estimate twice as many.

Still not very creepy though, right? It's just a hole that some people have died in, like an inverted underwater Everest. That's before you watch :nms:Yuri Lipski's helmet camera video:nms:. Diving experts dissect the events as he becomes disoriented, wanders deeper and deeper into an underground cave and eventually collapses and dies a hundred meters below the surface. At one point, he makes a noise that sounds very much like 'help.'

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've never filed a worker's comp claim, do they really have "Tomfoolery" as an option as to why the worker got hurt?

I think 'Mishap' was the actual selection, but Tomfoolery was in the description of a guy that lost an eye at a meat packing plant because he and his coworkers decided to have a snowball fight, but with ground beef instead.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Wild T posted:

Still not very creepy though, right? It's just a hole that some people have died in, like an inverted underwater Everest. That's before you watch :nms:Yuri Lipski's helmet camera video:nms:. Diving experts dissect the events as he becomes disoriented, wanders deeper and deeper into an underground cave and eventually collapses and dies a hundred meters below the surface. At one point, he makes a noise that sounds very much like 'help.'

This is pretty much exactly when you get trained to qualify as a scuba diver, every instructor, every book, and every course will continually repeat "Always dive with a buddy, always dive with a buddy, ALWAYS DIVE WITH A BUDDY JESUS."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

1stGear posted:

This is pretty much exactly when you get trained to qualify as a scuba diver, every instructor, every book, and every course will continually repeat "Always dive with a buddy, always dive with a buddy, ALWAYS DIVE WITH A BUDDY JESUS."

There's a diving course now for "self-reliant divers" offered by PADI :eng101:

http://www.redhookdivecenter.com/?q=padi-selfreliant

Not that I would do it, I'm perfectly capable of drowning even with people around :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Atmus posted:

I think 'Mishap' was the actual selection, but Tomfoolery was in the description of a guy that lost an eye at a meat packing plant because he and his coworkers decided to have a snowball fight, but with ground beef instead.

We had "Human Error", which we interpreted to mean "loving idiocy." There was something like "Inadequate training" for legitimate gently caress ups.

Stuff like the guy filling a water bottle with bleach and chugging it? Human error. Dude pushes the wrong button on some machine and crushes his foot? Inadequate training.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

FrozenVent posted:

Stuff like the guy filling a water bottle with bleach and chugging it?

gently caress! Did this actually happen? What happened to the guy?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe he dropped his phone at some point, while it was turned off to preserve the battery, and someone later found it and turned it on?

tviolet
May 20, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marybeth_Tinning

"Marybeth Tinning (née Roe, born September 11, 1942) is an American prisoner currently serving a sentence of 20 years to life after being convicted of the murder of one of her children, while her other eight died under suspicious circumstances."

The list of her children's death is just loving horrifying. It's just one after another, almost every years. However, it was never proved that she killed all of them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tea Bone posted:

gently caress! Did this actually happen? What happened to the guy?

It's the classic workplace/lab safety example. Dude uses improper chemical storage and labeling and ends up drinking it. I'm positive it's happened before and will happen again. Depends how much he drank but it'd be unpleasant at the very least.

So label your poo poo you assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could manage to swallow bleach before realizing what it was(not). I guess if you are real thirsty and just went to slam some water it could happen. Jesus that would suck :pwn: