Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

podcat posted:

I agree. HoI4 wont be going down the optional ai automatization route of hoi3. If a feature isnt interesting enough to deal with we can cut it or improve it. If a feature is too micro intensive we can redesign it. If you dont want to interact with something why would it be in the game.

This is the best news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Argh, Paradox once again SCREWING over their core FANS!

I expected this from ZYNGA but not YOU!

Guess who ELSE liked ARBITRARY limitations in his GRAND STRATEGY GAMES!? :hitler:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

podcat posted:

I agree. HoI4 wont be going down the optional ai automatization route of hoi3. If a feature isnt interesting enough to deal with we can cut it or improve it. If a feature is too micro intensive we can redesign it. If you dont want to interact with something why would it be in the game.

Why do you continue to dumb down the game for the filthy casuals? :qq:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a much better system than Hoi 3 because even if designing a Hoi 4 division takes longer than designing a Hoi 3 division, you only have to do it a couple of times in Hoi 4 compared to potentially every division ever in Hoi 3.

Hell, it's almost as if it's going back to the old Hoi 2 model of standard infantry division, tank division, motorized division whole units except with a much more granular and customizable Brigade attachment mechanic.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Please apply more Sid Meier design lessons, thanks.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/114402/Analysis_Sid_Meiers_Key_Design_Lessons.php

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a minimal number of battalions that need to be in each division or can I theoretically have a single infantry battalion that only exists to babysit their attached support unit?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

podcat posted:

Just another step on the road to being an RTS! Casuals World of Tanks Simulation!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Morholt posted:

Guess who ELSE liked ARBITRARY limitations in his GRAND STRATEGY GAMES!? :hitler:
You're saying that as if the core paradox fans see that as a bad thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

This seems like a much better system than Hoi 3 because even if designing a Hoi 4 division takes longer than designing a Hoi 3 division, you only have to do it a couple of times in Hoi 4 compared to potentially every division ever in Hoi 3.
I really really want them to add a similar feature for EU/Victoria. Victoria in particular. Not the whole experience part, the tech system seems generally fine to me, just the ability to create army templates which persist across games and which enable you to just click the "Build Selected Template Army" button and it automatically spits out whatever units you need, and then has them join up into the specific template army you chose. (No accidentally joining up with other units that ended up at the same check point.)

Speaking of improvements to that part of Victoria, it would be nice to be able to sort generals by stats instead of traits or whatever. Hell, make the stats visible without hovering your cursor on them, I'm sure room could be made for that in the UI.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

podcat posted:

Very pleased to hear this :D

I'm really surprised by the number of complaints in that dev diary thread directed at monarch points in EU4. To me those were a great way to bring together a whole ton of disparate mechanics. To others, they appear to be "like World of Warcraft".

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
My thought about the monarch points is they should be a single pool, not three.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Riso posted:

My thought about the monarch points is they should be a single pool, not three.

Then there'd be even less to tell one king from another.

You know what, it would be nice if kings had traits, a bit like advisors. So you might get "Great warrior - +10% discipline" on one king or "Mathematical genius - +10% trade income" on another.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 14, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
A lot of people seem to think of monarch points as some bizzare form of mana that has no place in a paradox game.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zeron posted:

A lot of people seem to think of monarch points as some bizzare form of mana that has no place in a paradox game.

But if there is the slightest bit of abstraction how am I going to pretend that I could have totally won the war for Hitler? :qq:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gort posted:

You know what, it would be nice if kings had traits, a bit like advisors. So you might get "Great warrior - +10% discipline" on one king or "Mathematical genius - +10% trade income" on another.

This would be good. Some sort of personality for kings - it doesn't need to be Crusader Kings level but a little bit more character wouldn't go amiss. In fact this would slot in perfectly to the game as it is.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh yes, those traits were regularily added in Eu3 mods. Makes them more interesting.

The lack of ruler personalities is one of the reasons I can't stand playing the games anymore.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zeron posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of design issues with monarch points, this just isn't one of them. It's just that the problems are pretty abstract and hard to articulate in layman's terms, so (to give these people the benefit of the doubt) they lash out at the one thing they concretely object to.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

DStecks posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of design issues with monarch points, this just isn't one of them. It's just that the problems are pretty abstract and hard to articulate in layman's terms, so (to give these people the benefit of the doubt) they lash out at the one thing they concretely object to.

They're just like World of Tanks and World of Warcraft apparently.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gort posted:

Way to completely ignore what I said, I guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

DStecks posted:

Way to completely ignore what I said, I guess.

My point with that post was that these people should not be given the benefit of the doubt, hence the bolding.

I am interested in what you think the flaws with monarch points are though.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

My point with that post was that these people should not be given the benefit of the doubt, hence the bolding.

It shifts a lot of the focus away from gameplay and onto bookkeeping

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Enjoy posted:

It shifts a lot of the focus away from gameplay and onto bookkeeping

That sounds like a statement you could make about any game element, though. Ammo count in a shooter? Bookkeeping, not gameplay!

Managing a resource is gameplay.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gort posted:

- No significant way to change your income beyond hiring advisors, which in the early game can be impossibly expensive.
- Low variety of things each pool of points can be spent on, so it's less "management" and more "wait for a bar to fill".
- Entirely decouples technological development from economic development. A potentially valid design choice, but historically it's deeply questionable.
- Creates bizarre situations where actions that should be unrelated are mutually exclusive (Just researched that Diplomacy tech? Hope you weren't planning to finish any wars soon!).
- Inhibits specialization by forcing the player to allocate resources in a rigidly defined way.

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Just for an illustration, let's compare monarch points to money: on the surface, you could say that waiting for enough money to spend is "waiting for a bar to fill", but you don't see anybody complaining about that. That's because there's a variety of ways players can increase their money, and an even greater variety of things they can spend it on. Now, monarch points aren't terrible, but they're far from perfect. While I wouldn't go so far as Riso's suggestion to make just one monarch point pool, but I think the system could be immediately improved if you could exchange one form of monarch points for another. You'd then very likely have to rebalance the cost of everything around that, but I think it would be a dramatic improvement.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

That sounds like a statement you could make about any game element, though. Ammo count in a shooter? Bookkeeping, not gameplay!

Managing a resource is gameplay.

I meant in that it's a minigame largely detached from the main game. Like suppression points and influence points were in the Victoria 2 expansions. Treating it as a resource is one thing when you can interact with it in some way in the game world, but when it's a number ticking up without any decisions on your part you can't really call that play.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

I'd sure hate it if HoI4 was a flop like WoT or WoW :ohdear:

Design vision: Like Monopoly, but with guns and Hitler.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DStecks posted:

Now, monarch points aren't terrible, but they're far from perfect. While I wouldn't go so far as Riso's suggestion to make just one monarch point pool, but I think the system could be immediately improved if you could exchange one form of monarch points for another. You'd then very likely have to rebalance the cost of everything around that, but I think it would be a dramatic improvement.
While monarch points don't represent some actual specific thing in reality, I think being able to just exchange them for other types is going to bring us way into game territory. Like, what, is Gustavus Adolphus going to draw up a bunch of battle plans, then give them to his administrative corps in exchange for plans on how to integrate his conquests?

What you could do though, would be to allow the player to modify which point they gain in the first place. This could start out pretty limited, but as you tech up you would be able to gain more freedom to delegate tasks to subordinates, which would build up over time. Basically, an organic way for the player to evolve either towards absolute rule or constitutional rule. If you're kicking rear end all over the place, and don't have a real problem getting enough monarch points, then you can just coast along and remain an absolute monarch. If you have a succession of bad kings, or things just generally aren't going your way, you might have to compromise to dig yourself out of that pit.

Obviously this would/should probably mean some sort of gameplay consequences for sharing power, but I really do think it could make sense. Never going to happen though I don't think, Paradox for some unfathomable reason seem completely opposed to the idea of internal politics and anything to do with royals besides acting as glorified diplomats, despite this period being the perfect setting for such gameplay. Like, it loving boggles my mind.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'd sure hate it if HoI4 was a flop like WoT or WoW :ohdear:

Design vision: Like Monopoly, but with guns and Hitler.

Go to France. Do not pass Belgium.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

While monarch points don't represent some actual specific thing in reality, I think being able to just exchange them for other types is going to bring us way into game territory. Like, what, is Gustavus Adolphus going to draw up a bunch of battle plans, then give them to his administrative corps in exchange for plans on how to integrate his conquests?

It's a reinterpretation of monarch points. In an exchangeable system, they'd represent monarch focus, rather than monarch skill, or anything really concrete. Your monarch can only focus on so many things at once, and the points represent their ability to manage the government. Exchange also wouldn't be 1:1, you'd either lose some in the trade, or spend some money, or both. So if you've got a naturally militarily skilled monarch, you'll get the best usage out of them by focusing on the military; you still have the option to focus on administration, but you'll be able to focus on less things than if you'd played to your strengths.

As for what you propose, honestly, there are lots of ways you could "fix" monarch points, but I like mine because it's the simplest (and pretty trivial to mod in).

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

podcat posted:

This is literally the single most reassuring thing I've read about HoI4, including the dev logs. It seems almost all of my posts in this thread are about how much I hate HoI3, even with as much time as I spend playing other Paradox games. I'm still gonna hold off on getting it launch, but I'm actually kinda looking forward to four now.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Make one pool, but have monarch attributes affect how it is spent. So if a monarch has 3 mil, then spending 1 milpoint on miltech gives you 1 point of progress. If they have 6 mil, then you get more points (2 points of progress?) if they have 0 mil, then you get less (0.5 points of progress?), etc. You could apply this to everything - monarchs/leaders with good stats in certain areas let you do actions in those areas for less.

Then we might see substantially more strategy turnover from monarch to monarch. For example, maybe Peter the Great has really good Admin, so he spends his reign throwing down admin-based buildings and researching admin tech because it's cheap; his successor may not have that high admin score, though, so those projects will stop abruptly when the monarch changes.

Gustavus Adolphus, similarly, will be able to get cheap generals, men, miltech, wardecs, and military buildings, but if he has a low admin score he will struggle to use his points for coring.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 15, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I know this gets invoked a lot, especially with regards to the black box that is the Victoria 2 economic simulation, but an AI that's having as much fun as the player is arguably a key element to what makes CK2 work so well.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know this gets invoked a lot, especially with regards to the black box that is the Victoria 2 economic simulation, but an AI that's having as much fun as the player is arguably a key element to what makes CK2 work so well.

But those really aren't the same at all. CK2 isn't an example of the computer having more fun than the player, it's just a game with like a thousand players, only one of which is human.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Make one pool, but have monarch attributes affect how it is spent. So if a monarch has 3 mil, then spending 1 milpoint on miltech gives you 1 point of progress. If they have 6 mil, then you get more points (2 points of progress?) if they have 0 mil, then you get less (0.5 points of progress?), etc. You could apply this to everything - monarchs/leaders with good stats in certain areas let you do actions in those areas for less.

Then we might see substantially more strategy turnover from monarch to monarch. For example, maybe Peter the Great has really good Admin, so he spends his reign throwing down admin-based buildings and researching admin tech because it's cheap; his successor may not have that high admin score, though, so those projects will stop abruptly when the monarch changes.

Gustavus Adolphus, similarly, will be able to get cheap generals, men, miltech, wardecs, and military buildings, but if he has a low admin score he will struggle to use his points for coring.
This idea I like. It makes sense in real life, and it avoids the issue of having to manually exchange points. It would probably also work more elegantly with the system I proposed, by simply making the delegation of powers a way to even out the cost of the various groups, which I think would be easier to understand.

Absolute Ruler Karl X Gustav:

ADM: 3 (49% cost reduction)
DIP: 1 (19% cost reduction)
MIL: 6 (84% cost reduction)

Karl X Gustav with a medium strength parliament/cabinet (shifts any stat 1 point towards 3 for cost reduction purposes):

ADM: 3(+0) (49% cost reduction)
DIP: 1(+1) (36% cost reduction)
MIL: 6(-1) (75% cost reduction)

In this example, the military genius of Karl X Gustav is strongly curtailed, but diplomatic costs see a decent reduction of costs in return. This system would basically be a way for players who get really annoyed with poo poo rulers to even out their luck, in exchange for getting less use out of god kings. I think the basic cost reduction idea sounds good on its own, just to be clear, but dealing with grievances such as the extremely random nature of monarchs by allowing the player the option of dealing with it in-game seems like a good idea too. Plus it could be added as part of a larger system of internal management.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 15, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is actually the first I've heard of HOI4 coming out. What's the release date? I am definitely interested.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Q1 2015.

I've bought every Hearts of Iron game and expansion since 2 came out and this one looks like it might be the best one yet.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think being able to just exchange them for other types is going to bring us way into game territory.

Yeah, because making tech dependent on how well your ruler personally understands the field is realistic and not an abstraction.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gort posted:

just make every game use the CK2 character system

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cock hero flux posted:

just make every game use the CK2 character system

I really don't want every game to be a family management sim. I hate that crap.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Panzeh posted:

I really don't want every game to be a family management sim. I hate that crap.

Yeah well your in the minority there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah, because making tech dependent on how well your ruler personally understands the field is realistic and not an abstraction.

It represents how good your ruler is at appointing administrators etc.

• Locked thread