Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Nope, that's Sandra Bullock again, he just made the mouth a little bigger and wider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flesh Forge posted:

Nope, that's Sandra Bullock again, he just made the mouth a little bigger and wider.

So Julia Roberts?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

New Avengers #19. Quick recap: something happened and now Earths from different universes are colliding. If they touch, both universes are destroyed. If one Earth is destroyed, both universes survive. The Illuminati have managed to save Earth a number of times but it has always been either dead worlds or the other earth has been destroyed. They've never encountered a living world until now. This world has the not Justice League and they've actually been studying them (in an effort to stop the incursions). Now they're face to face with the JL and wondering how two good factions deal with the fact that one of their worlds is about to die.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The look on Namor's face in that panel before he impales not-Batman is loving gold.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The look on Namor's face in that panel before he impales not-Batman is loving gold.

It's not even the best Namor panel in the issue:

Majuju fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 13, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
THAT isn't even the best Namor panel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably not even in the top five of Reed's list of "destructive things I have made".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be honest, I like the conflicted Namor look so much because Smug Namor is a matter of course but seeing him upset that he has to play the badguy again is much rarer.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Who's the beast looking one supposed to be a JLA analog to?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hulk Smash! posted:

Who's the beast looking one supposed to be a JLA analog to?
That's "The Jovian", aka M. Manhunter.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Well, there's actually Beast there with the Illuminati and then the weird alien guy on the other group's team is The Jovian who I think is meant to be their Martian Manhunter.

edit: ah, beat to it.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I had gotten the Martian but I, uh, didn't realize that beast looked like that now...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

THAT isn't even the best Namor panel.

I like Superman Sun God's look in the second panel of "Holy poo poo, these guys are fuckin' nuts!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Reed's expression of desperation, too. Valerio Schiti is really drat good at conveying emotion.

I had a mini rant before about non-Marvel default super hero concept is always Superman/DC-in-general knockoffs, but I like Sun God and the Great Society. They (A) play an awesome role in this story arc and probably won't come up again, and (B) are so explicitly the Justice League it's amazing the Distinguished Competition hasn't had words with their lawyers.

To go along with that, they represent an All Star Superman kind of Justice League. Pure, totally noble and helping, exactly the kind I like, but also all the more contrasting against the Illuminati.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 13, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm not sure why DC would be up in arms at a pastiche of the JL being portrayed as more moral and hopeful than some of Marvel's greatest characters. What's next, DiDio suing for slander after Bendis names him the world's greatest lover?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's weird really. DC seem to be trying overly hard to be the gritty mainstream comics line, but their big two heroes are both idealists who (in almost every incarnation) don't kill people.

edit - I love Strange's "Hope. What are you, twelve?" stare in the last panel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cabbit posted:

I'm not sure why DC would be up in arms at a pastiche of the JL being portrayed as more moral and hopeful than some of Marvel's greatest characters.

The fact they're not tearing anybody's arms off might be construed as misrepresentation of the DC line.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Latest One Punch Man chapter.
Really, I could post the whole thing here.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/250211/onepunch-man_ch35.2_by_nerieru-scans/2

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gonna be sad when the Great Society gets violently murdered because they're really enjoyable characters.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gonna be sad when the Great Society gets violently murdered because they're really enjoyable characters.

Seriously. Chances are they are going to do something to save everyone and the Illuminati are just going to feel ashamed of themselves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Seriously. Chances are they are going to do something to save everyone and the Illuminati are just going to feel ashamed of themselves.

They aren't ever going to be used again, so they will probably all die, maybe to save both worlds.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Dr. Strange is going to kill them because he just sold his soul for power, hasn't really done anything other than that recently, and will never be in a movie.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Speaking of JLA analogues and badassery, Doc Savage Brass and his crew have a similar problem in Planetary #1;

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

They aren't ever going to be used again, so they will probably all die, maybe to save both worlds.

The cover to the next one paints what's going to happen. Strange didn't sell his soul to sit on the sidelines.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dammit Who? posted:

Dr. Strange is going to kill them because he just sold his soul for power, hasn't really done anything other than that recently, and will never be in a movie.

Are you sure about that last part?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Gavok posted:

Are you sure about that last part?

Aw poo poo, Gavok's got the scoops

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Benedict Cumberbatch is one of the candidates. I'm not really familiar with Tom Hardy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ManiacClown posted:

I'm not really familiar with Tom Hardy.

Unsurprising, considering nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

He was great in Bronson and Inception.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I really love how making the obvious even more obvious completely changes the tone of a few panels so much.

It goes from desperation to Superman bein' Superman.

Thanks, context!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuego Fish posted:

What are you taking about? Tom Hardy has had a ton of buzz since Bronson. I liked it when he and Joseph Gordon Levitt kept flirting in Inception.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

"No one cared who I was until I put on the mask." -Bane

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

"No one cared who I was until I put on the mask." -Bane

Oh, oops.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

As someone who isn't reading that illuminati series, is it as grim and gritty as the panels would make it seem?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fereydun posted:

I really love how making the obvious even more obvious completely changes the tone of a few panels so much.

It goes from desperation to Superman bein' Superman.

Thanks, context!

Oh man, now I want to see the entire arc re-colored so it IS the Justice League.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

As someone who isn't reading that illuminati series, is it as grim and gritty as the panels would make it seem?

Yes, but in a good way.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Tremendous Taste posted:

New Avengers is pretty much about incursions and how the only way to save two entire universes is to destroy one of the two earths that are going to collide, so yeah, pretty grim.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Not really. Things are dire, and everyone is forced to consider the hard choices, but New Avengers is not really what comes to mind when I think of the words grim and gritty. At least not yet, anyway. It doesn't go darker than something like Star Trek typically would.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Not really. Things are dire, and everyone is forced to consider the hard choices, but New Avengers is not really what comes to mind when I think of the words grim and gritty. At least not yet, anyway. It doesn't go darker than something like Star Trek typically would.

I dunno, seeing multiverse versions of characters continually get slaughtered in brutal fashion while hopelessly fighting back is pretty grim and gritty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I dunno, seeing multiverse versions of characters continually get slaughtered in brutal fashion while hopelessly fighting back is pretty grim and gritty

They're not quite at that point yet

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Illuminati have managed to save Earth a number of times but it has always been either dead worlds or the other earth has been destroyed. They've never encountered a living world until now.