Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Play-Asia sells (Japanese SKU) controllers for $25. Controllers are region free. And if you're gonna order them that way, you could look into getting the extended battery for the gamepad since Nintendo's online store stopped selling them a while ago.

Was just checking that out. Still comes to about $40 with shipping.

Amazon has a couple other sellers for the Japanese version where it comes out a bit cheaper. Still going to take a while to get to you though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009AP23NI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1402756205&sr=8-4

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shyfted One posted:

Was just checking that out. Still comes to about $40 with shipping.

I assume it comes out cheaper if you're gonna get a set of them for full local multiplayer, but yeah, not much cheaper if you just want one. I don't have a Pro Controller yet so I'm just biding my time until I'm ready to buy a couple plus that battery.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mercury Crusader posted:

Play-Asia sells (Japanese SKU) controllers for $25. Controllers are region free. And if you're gonna order them that way, you could look into getting the extended battery for the gamepad since Nintendo's online store stopped selling them a while ago.

How long does this extend the battery?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That battery is still twice the cost of the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extended-Ba...=item4acef70ee5

Been using it for a few weeks, no problems at all.
Japanese battery without the official packinging, just comes in a tiny white box with a tiny tiny turquoise screwdriver.

The seller is apparently away right now though, but others on eBay might sell it at the same price point.

noirstronaut posted:

The Extended battery is straight up 2X the capacity of the default/stock/small battery.

So roughly 1.5-2x the playtime..

e: OH!
That battery they link is only 2550 MAH
( The play-asia one )
The one I have is 3000.

So less than 2x, since the small one is 1500.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 14, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

About doubles it, I'd say. It made the gamepad's battery life go from "way too short, have to keep it plugged in all the time for serious play sessions" to "I don't usually run out of battery life on my controller anymore" for me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SubNat posted:

The Extended battery is straight up 2X the capacity of the default/stock/small battery.

So roughly 1.5-2x the playtime..

Which works out to about 6-7 hours all told.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Wii U use the same power supply as Wii? I'm taking my system to a friend's house for some MK8 later, and I'd rather not deal with the rats nest behind my TV if I don't have to. I know he has a Wii and a spare HDMI cable, so hopefully I'll only have to bring the system & gamepad over.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Wii U use the same power supply as Wii? .

No, it does not.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just started using Wii mode on the game pad and really enjoy it. Does anyone know why you need your tv on to activate this mode?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Kilroy posted:

You could try being less butthurt when people say human being.

Remember when you were a mod for D&D?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kilroy posted:

You could try being less butthurt when people say human being.

Listen pal, I've been in the forumss industry at SA for seven years. I think I know what people want.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacebump posted:

I just started using Wii mode on the game pad and really enjoy it. Does anyone know why you need your tv on to activate this mode?

You don't. When it prompts you to point the Wiimote at the tv, just move it around until the haptic feedback shows you where the buttons are, select the one on the right, hit A and it'll start.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 14, 2014

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm sorry if this gets asked a lot, but I'm going to buy a Wii U a little later but want to grab Wind Waker HD while it's 30% off.
Supposedly Nintendo was supposed to add PC shopping last year, but when I click "eshop download" on the game's listing it doesn't actually give me any purchasing options. Am I doing something wrong?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm sorry if this gets asked a lot, but I'm going to buy a Wii U a little later but want to grab Wind Waker HD while it's 30% off.
Supposedly Nintendo was supposed to add PC shopping last year, but when I click "eshop download" on the game's listing it doesn't actually give me any purchasing options. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't believe they have that set up yet.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't believe they have that set up yet.

Okay thanks!
E: Hm I guess this means I should pick it up soon if I wanna save the 30%...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh good grief, what do I pick? I have four games to choose from--Pikmin 3 was my first thought but somebody said the controls suck? Wind Waker HD and NSMB:U are also full price, so it's like...three good options (and one whatever) and that's too many good options!

EDIT: Took the plunge, Pikmin it is.

Oh hey Wind Waker is on sale oh why my wallet it's

it's opening itself by itself what is this

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 14, 2014

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pegnose Pete posted:

You might want to just get the Wii U/Windwaker bundle.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pikmin has like three control schemes, all good. Though touch and gamepad are both better suited to gamepad only play and wiimote is better for TV.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does Metroid Prime Trilogy have a button that quickly centers the Wiimote like Skyward Sword?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spacebump posted:

Does Metroid Prime Trilogy have a button that quickly centers the Wiimote like Skyward Sword?

I think that the game will auto-center itself if you turn the wiimote away from the sensor for long enough.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You might want to just get the Wii U/Windwaker bundle.

I'm looking to buy a refurbished Wii U from EB Games. It's 229.99 currently so getting that plus Wind Waker at 34.99 works out cheaper by about 40 dollars.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hee hee, Shy Guy makes such doofy sounds. "Heee hooo!"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm looking to buy a refurbished Wii U from EB Games. It's 229.99 currently so getting that plus Wind Waker at 34.99 works out cheaper by about 40 dollars.

If you want to get the cheapest Wind Waker possible, try buying a Mario Kart 8 Club Nintendo code. You can redeem it to get Wind Waker and if you get a Deluxe console you get $5 eShop credit as well.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Cloks posted:

If you want to get the cheapest Wind Waker possible, try buying a Mario Kart 8 Club Nintendo code. You can redeem it to get Wind Waker and if you get a Deluxe console you get $5 eShop credit as well.

I was thinking of using the Club Nintendo code towards New Super Mario Bros U or Pikmin 3 since they are retailing for more money currently.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

the reason skyward sword had that is because it used the accelerometer for aiming instead of the sensor bar so I doubt metroid prime trilogy would have it, unless the controls work differently than they did in prime 3

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Which WiiU bundle is the better deal? The Zelda one or the SMB one? I also plan on getting Mariokart 8 and taking advantage of the free game promotion.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Which WiiU bundle is the better deal? The Zelda one or the SMB one? I also plan on getting Mariokart 8 and taking advantage of the free game promotion.
The Mario Kart bundle is probably the best value right now, especially if you need another wiimote. You can get Zelda or NSMB for petty cheap (or free if you find someone friendly enough) while Mario Kart is still gonna cost you $45-50. The Zelda bundle does have that sickass paintjob on the gamepad though, and that is priceless.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lelandjs posted:

You don't. When it prompts you to point the Wiimote at the tv, just move it around until the haptic feedback shows you where the buttons are, select the one on the right, hit A and it'll start.

Except when you do this, it yells at you for not having the TV on when you select the button.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pegnose Pete posted:

I was thinking of using the Club Nintendo code towards New Super Mario Bros U or Pikmin 3 since they are retailing for more money currently.

You could buy another one, make a dummy Club Nintendo account and redeem the code you get on your Wii U. That's what I did, and I got Wind Waker and another five bucks from the deluxe promo for 22 bucks.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

lelandjs posted:

It's easiest if you just go to the Wii Menu from the quickstart menu. There should also be a trick where you hold down the B button while the "Wii U" logo is displayed on the screen during startup?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cloks posted:

You could buy another one, make a dummy Club Nintendo account and redeem the code you get on your Wii U. That's what I did, and I got Wind Waker and another five bucks from the deluxe promo for 22 bucks.

I wouldn't do this. I did this and Nintendo locked out both the Club Nintendo accounts I had and they deleted the game I got from the second account from my Wii U. Next time you log into the eShop, expect your free game to disappear. Calling them restored my main account, at least.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't do this. I did this and Nintendo locked out both the Club Nintendo accounts I had and they deleted the game I got from the second account from my Wii U. Next time you log into the eShop, expect your free game to disappear. Calling them restored my main account, at least.
This is on the Club Nintendo end though, so if someone gives you a code for a specific game you should be fine. So long as the person that gives you the code isn't abusing CN themselves.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Mario Kart 8 owns. I'm discovering that it seems the one Kart I skipped, MK3DS, has some of the best tracks in the classic department, so I'm sorta annoyed there. And no Daisy's Cruise Liner either, how sad!

But now I'm firing up Pikmin 3, which will be the first Pikmin game I've owned and the first I've played outside of a two minute sample at some Best Buy somewhere.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I bought Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze today from the Best Buy event for $30 and loving it. Not only is the gameplay really fun, but man I love the soundtrack in it a lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Mario Kart 8 owns. I'm discovering that it seems the one Kart I skipped, MK3DS, has some of the best tracks in the classic department, so I'm sorta annoyed there. And no Daisy's Cruise Liner either, how sad!

But now I'm firing up Pikmin 3, which will be the first Pikmin game I've owned and the first I've played outside of a two minute sample at some Best Buy somewhere.

Make sure you play with the wiimote and nunchuck if possible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm enjoying doing it Gamepad only, but I do have a nunchuck ready. How do I change control modes?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm enjoying doing it Gamepad only, but I do have a nunchuck ready. How do I change control modes?

I think it's in the pause menu, that or it might be a "just turn the wii-mote on and it takes over"

Wiimote play lets you attack while retreating, pull off super fast pinpoint tosses, and is generally considered the best option.

vvvv I forgot about that. I didn't get a chance to try it out so wouldn't know personally!

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The new gamepad control scheme they patched in like a week ago is really great, probably better than the wiimote.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I couldn't get used to the stylus control, I used mostly the wiimote mode, and a little bit of the classic comtrols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

vvvv I forgot about that. I didn't get a chance to try it out so wouldn't know personally!
Its essentially the same thing as the wiimote controls, you're just using a stylus instead. Kinda like that Pikmin minigame in Nintendoland. Makes the tablet stuff a little more convenient to use too.

• Locked thread