Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, hence the "High tech gubbins" comment... But honestly, I'd really prefer that the ISA is that stupid, because even without knowing the game, it's pretty obvious that something's going to happen to the key, or rather, what it unlocks. It wouldn't be dramatic otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

I will give Killzone this: I had a lot more fun with it than I did with Gears of War! But that's mostly because Gears is terrible.

Were you slowly being crushed in a press while you played Gears of War? Because that's the only way this statement really makes any sense at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I absolutely loathe Gears of War. Something about the gameplay and aesthetic just absolutely does not work for me. I know it's considered really good, I could just never get into it. :shrug:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Were you slowly being crushed in a press while you played Gears of War? Because that's the only way this statement really makes any sense at all.

My experience of the first Gears of War was that it was a sluggishly paced game of hugging mysteriously prevalent concrete barriers while laying entire clips into bullet sponges (on normal, mind you) with no interesting weaponry and absolutely nothing to break up the monotony. I certainly didn't play the whole thing so maybe after the first eight or nine levels it got interesting? I dunno. That's way too much boredom to ask me to power through to get to the good stuff.

That said, Gears 2 seemed to realize that the mere "innovation" of making you stick to cover and taping a chainsaw to an assault rifle was not enough to carry a game and actually broke out some pretty varied encounters, novel weapons and interesting gimmicks, so I certainly wouldn't write off the whole series. (I still didn't beat that one because at a certain point towards the very end there was a set piece with a bunch of enemies with nearly instant kill weapons that wasn't adequately checkpointed and my coop partner and I just gave up.) One of these days I'll probably get around to Gears 3.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I was really more mystified by his enjoyment of Killzone than his dislike of Gears. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paragon1 posted:

I was really more mystified by his enjoyment of Killzone than his dislike of Gears. :v:

I don't understand it either. I'm honestly not sure why I liked the game, I just remember I really enjoyed it and played it to completion. Watching these videos makes it even more bizarre, because I remember thinking the same things that are coming up in the LP while playing, like 'Goddamn why are these guns so inaccurate' and 'I feel so sluggish.'

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

paragon1 posted:

I like Killzone! Though I think it's a little bit of a nostalgia thing. When crow and I were playing through for the recordings, I was definitely being a pretty big apologist, telling him "it gets better!" Somewhere around chapter 9 or 10, I was getting so fed up with the bullet sponge enemies that most of my good-will disappeared. It hasn't aged very well, but back then there weren't a lot of PS2 games that looked this good. (I know, it looks like shite, but these graphics were drat amazing at the time). Still, the first four/five chapters are basically one extended prologue. We're just getting our squad together. It's not until the end of chapter 5 that we finally get proper motivation and a clear endgame goal for our characters. It'd be like if in Mass Effect 2 you were tasked with putting together a badass hit-squad, but weren't told you were eventually going to lead them up against the Collectors. Though I think it works here in Killzone, because with the sudden invasion everyone is simply too baffled and overwhelmed to have any true sense of what their goals should be at the moment.

W/r/t Gears of War, I think it was also a nostalgia thing. The whole brown/muddy shooter trope wasn't really a huge thing yet, and cover-based gameplay like that was a pretty new and novel experience. (Kill.switch beat Gears to it, but that game wasn't as widely played). Going back, it's as much a slog to play as Killzone. At the time, it was pretty new and exciting. Also, Gears does a similar thing to Killzone where it has a much bigger backstory that isn't really explained in game. Rather, you spend all your time with a single squad in a single fight, caught up only in the immediate now. Maybe Killzone should have been pegged as a Gears Of War killer?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
In fairness to Killzone, the first game was acceptable. Not great, but not bad for its time. Does anyone know how well the various games have performed financially? They're just so utterly middling to bad that I can't understand why they keep getting sequels.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm not entirely sure. VGChartz is pretty unreliable, right? What's a good place to source game sales?

EDIT: it looks like Shadow Fall is doing pretty well. If this is the case, then half of all PlayStation 4 owners have the game. And this was back in January.

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 14, 2014

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Blind Sally posted:

EDIT: it looks like Shadow Fall is doing pretty well. If this is the case, then half of all PlayStation 4 owners have the game. And this was back in January.

Well yeah, obviously a lot of Ps4 owners should be owning Shadow Fall, they haven't really had much else to play.

(also if I would've bought a Ps4 at launch before the Knack demo turned me away, then I totally would've bought Shadow Fall as well, it looked pretty neat and a nice break away from the usual gray areas we get in shooters from what I've seen)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The gameplay in Shadow Fall is samey shooter fare that does nothing to make up for the incredibly dumb plot. Funny story, I've owned three of the killzone titles, but I didn't buy any of them. Pretty much played through each once and never touched them again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

paragon1 posted:

The gameplay in Shadow Fall is samey shooter fare that does nothing to make up for the incredibly dumb plot.

But, no--no, it can't be! Killzone is Shakespeare! :negative:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well then maybe Shadow Fall is one of the scripts he threw out because it wasn't good enough. Every game after the first one has an incredibly dumb plot, Blind Sally knows this. He's lying to you all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

[SLANDER]

:frogout:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, whoa now, easy with the spoilers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I WILL NOT BE SILENCED

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I wonder if Rico's "assassin" line isn't just that he is a brute and that his style of operation is at the opposite end of the spectrum, but that assassination is not honorable. He took on a large number of Helghast in open combat by himself. Even though he did somewhat sneak up on them, he announced his presence by yelling. For him, combat could be the chance for individuals to show off the true extent of their might; if two men engage in fair play, the winner will be the more skillful, more competent. Combat is effectively an extension of a social system with unsaid rules that should be followed by all those wishing to engage in the system. Assassins represent the unfair, almost deconstructive, side of the combat system. With assassins on the field, combat is no longer bound by rules and conditions. I think this mindset would fit for someone who comes from a large family that would have probably been highly structured with superiority done by age. The oldest sibling would always be the oldest and therefore would have an automatic and permanent (until death) position above the others.

Also, man, that dialogue between Jan and Luger sure was awkward. Though I can't be too bothered by the awkwardness since, judging by Jan's reactions, it was intentional. However, one thing you skipped over, and one thing I never like about this kind of dialogue, is that Luger's half falls into cliché. Her being up front with "asking if I got laid" response is meant to show that she is able to engage in "guy talk" just like any other soldier. She is not limited by her gender and actually probably exceeds other male soldiers. I don't pretend to know the male to female ratio in fictional Killzone army, but I'm guessing that the majority of soldiers are male. With this in mind she has to remain strong-willed and can't show weakness. All of this is fine. What I don't like about the exchange is that it is a clichéd way of showing a strong female character. It is a paint-by-the-numbers way of establishing that the character is operating, with success, in a field that is naturally assumed to be opposing her. Luger and Jan's conversation could've come from any exchange of ex's having to work together.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Blind Sally posted:

But, no--no, it can't be! Killzone is Shakespeare! :negative:

Good news, Shakespeare was the incredibly dumb lowest common denominator poop joke entertainer of his time, really dumb plot does not disqualify something from being Shakespeare! (See Romeo and Juliet).

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
And Don Quixote has a whole chapter devoted to Sancho pooping in bed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of the Canterbury Tales ends with a monk strapped to a wheel and being spun around so he can fart on the rest of his monastic brothers. :negative:

The story of how he got there is hilarious, but still. :negative:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the Canterbury Tales ends with a monk strapped to a wheel and being spun around so he can fart on the rest of his monastic brothers. :negative:

The story of how he got there is hilarious, but still. :negative:

Let me tell you about Rabelais in general and, for example, small, newly hatched birds and their many uses in particular.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Carlioo posted:

Well yeah, obviously a lot of Ps4 owners should be owning Shadow Fall, they haven't really had much else to play.

(also if I would've bought a Ps4 at launch before the Knack demo turned me away, then I totally would've bought Shadow Fall as well, it looked pretty neat and a nice break away from the usual gray areas we get in shooters from what I've seen)

shadow fall is alright, but its suffers from alot of stupid plot stuff,and some really dumb mission design. i'll spoil stuff if people want once the LP beats killzone 3.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I've never played any killzone apart from mercenary, due to being a PC gamer exclusively (its a money thing, not an elitist thing) - but I did buy a vita, and I thought mercenary was awesome - even the story. I guess its a departure from the rest of the series, as I understand that the main characters you play as are hither-too unseen in the series and lack allegiance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

klen dool posted:

I've never played any killzone apart from mercenary, due to being a PC gamer exclusively (its a money thing, not an elitist thing) - but I did buy a vita, and I thought mercenary was awesome - even the story. I guess its a departure from the rest of the series, as I understand that the main characters you play as are hither-too unseen in the series and lack allegiance.

yeah, Mercenaries is really good, though i kinda of wish it had been a little longer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Whew. Some drat fine analysis. I'll respond to it more in depth when I'm not on my mobile.

I do want to quickly speak to portable Killzone games. While I do like the Killzone Trilogy, I absolutely recognize its flaws and can understand why other people wouldnt enjoy them. They are far from perfect. That said, I will strongly contend that Killzone: Liberation is bar none, full stop, A Good Game that every PSP owner should play. I'd even say it's a top 10 PSP thing. So w/r/t Killzone: Mercenary, maybe Guerrilla is just better with handheld devices?

In other news, not long after I solve my technical issues, crow is now experiencing problems. Unfortunate, as he has all the important LP data. He is currently working on a fix, so hopefully we'll be good to go soon. But man, we are reaching JadeStar levels of technical issues here. : p

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Whew. Okay, tech issues are over once more. Our current tally:

• x1 dead laptop (dead HDD, broken monitor cable)
  • x2 new laptops returned (broken keyboard and usb ports for one, dying HDD for the other)
  • x1 dead power supply
  • (plus some issues with the LP backup on external HDD)

It seems the powers that be do not want us to finish this Killzone LP. Ha, ever undaunted we shall sally forth!

Mr. Highway posted:

I wonder if Rico's "assassin" line isn't just that he is a brute and that his style of operation is at the opposite end of the spectrum, but that assassination is not honorable. He took on a large number of Helghast in open combat by himself. Even though he did somewhat sneak up on them, he announced his presence by yelling. For him, combat could be the chance for individuals to show off the true extent of their might; if two men engage in fair play, the winner will be the more skillful, more competent. Combat is effectively an extension of a social system with unsaid rules that should be followed by all those wishing to engage in the system. Assassins represent the unfair, almost deconstructive, side of the combat system. With assassins on the field, combat is no longer bound by rules and conditions. I think this mindset would fit for someone who comes from a large family that would have probably been highly structured with superiority done by age. The oldest sibling would always be the oldest and therefore would have an automatic and permanent (until death) position above the others.

Yeah, good catch. I didn't think of it this way and it fits Rico's worldview. Though it makes me think of him as some sort of knight errant or samurai type character. If only he'd been born during the 100 Years War, he'd've been right at home. If this is true, look forward to his fall from grace where he starts to act against his own perceived "honourable code".

Mr. Highway posted:

Also, man, that dialogue between Jan and Luger sure was awkward. Though I can't be too bothered by the awkwardness since, judging by Jan's reactions, it was intentional. However, one thing you skipped over, and one thing I never like about this kind of dialogue, is that Luger's half falls into cliché. Her being up front with "asking if I got laid" response is meant to show that she is able to engage in "guy talk" just like any other soldier. She is not limited by her gender and actually probably exceeds other male soldiers. I don't pretend to know the male to female ratio in fictional Killzone army, but I'm guessing that the majority of soldiers are male. With this in mind she has to remain strong-willed and can't show weakness. All of this is fine. What I don't like about the exchange is that it is a clichéd way of showing a strong female character. It is a paint-by-the-numbers way of establishing that the character is operating, with success, in a field that is naturally assumed to be opposing her. Luger and Jan's conversation could've come from any exchange of ex's having to work together.

Ha, I should have caught this. It's so obvious looking back on it now. Yeah, it's clearly trope language.

Though I think Guerrilla still might be subverting expectations here. Unlike the more obvious stereotypes, like Aliens' Vasquez, Luger doesn't seem to be using "guy talk" in an earnest way. I can only infer by her poo poo-eating grin and playful tone, but I think she's just loving with Templar cause she thinks it's funny. Luger is confident enough in her own abilities, that she is able to make it as a woman in a man's world merely by being supremely competent. She never seems much bothered by the fact that there's 1000 men to every 1 woman on the battlefield. Just a thought.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

• x2 new laptops returned (broken keyboard and usb ports for one, dying HDD for the other)
  • x1 dead power supply

It seems the powers that be do not want us to finish this Killzone LP. Ha, ever undaunted we shall sally forth!

Add:

• x1 idiot wiping the thermal grease off his CPU nearly melting the thing by accident.

:sweatdrop:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm amazed you guys can post without blowing up NORAD or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Well then maybe Shadow Fall is one of the scripts he threw out because it wasn't good enough. Every game after the first one has an incredibly dumb plot, Blind Sally knows this. He's lying to you all.

So, Killzone is Titus Andronicus, and the sequels are Timon of Athens?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Killzone: Liberation is The Merry Wives Of Windsor. It's a lot of fun, but certainly isn't one of Shakespeare's most intellectual pieces.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

nine-gear crow posted:

Add:

• x1 idiot wiping the thermal grease off his CPU nearly melting the thing by accident.

:sweatdrop:

:golfclap:

"Oh my CPU is all greasy I should wipe it off ew yucky grease" *explosion*

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Blind Sally posted:

• x1 dead power supply

It's the LP curse, man! It's relentless!

Or it's Kalonzombie's Luddite radiation. Whichever.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Jadestar's JAIDS, maybe? Lots of hardware failure is a clear symptom.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I had my (brand new) GPU randomly decided its RAM was no good just as I was about to record another session of Tomb Raider last year. Thank god for backlogs, I transferred everything to my laptop and edited it there and kept the LP going while I waited for the GPU to get fixed. Maybe gaming hardware doesn't want LPs to happen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Let's Play is a crime against nature. I'm really hoping that's the end of it and we can continue untroubled, though I also think it'd be funny to get that list of tech issues to be a whole lot longer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope the list of tech issues didn't get a lot longer.

Also, Rico seems a lot like this:

"This way! There are Helghast to fight!"

"Where?" said Rico, following along.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

If you told Rico he was a Helghast, he wouldn't even hesitate to question it before shooting himself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

Rico is quite a bit like Storm Bull, yes. On one hand, he is super good at loving poo poo up. On the other hand, he fights too much, too greedily, too blindly, and too deeply, and tends to break everything because it's the only response he has to anything.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

paragon1 posted:

In fairness to Killzone, the first game was acceptable. Not great, but not bad for its time. Does anyone know how well the various games have performed financially? They're just so utterly middling to bad that I can't understand why they keep getting sequels.

I think it's more that these are FPS's that Sony owns/publishes outright. Thus the first one was ok, 2 became a "look what the PS3 can do!", 3 goes "Ooohhh Move and 3d support! Eh? EH!?" and Shadowfall is all about PS4's tech.

2 did come out in 2009 but was being developed as early as 2005. And it's release was just after the first Slim units made their appearance.

IIRC the original was touted as a Halo killer, but failed to live up to that... to the point I remember wondering why they were making a 2. And two got pretty good review scores (holding a 91/100 on metacritic), and a slew of awards, but didn't sell that fantastic (making 1 million world wide 2 months after it's release).

3 Was, like I said, mostly to support the then-recent 3d TV push and the Move support for their consoles. Metacritic gives it an 84, but I don't think it blew any customers minds.

Big other thing about the second and third installments was that their multiplayer was apparently pretty intense, to the point that if PS3 had a larger install base they'd probably have done quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Glazius posted:

• Destroyed the forums by posting an LP where Killzone is compared to Shakespeare

Nah,everything is still okay. The death and return of the forums just threw off everyone's schedule, I think. A new post will be forthcoming.

• Locked thread