Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Snapchat A Titty posted:

nine times out of ten i reflexively close the tab if theres an ad on the youtube. the one time i dont my eyes are glued to the countdown to skip button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the culmination of google engineering is an aperture science-like enrichment center

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
better advertising through science

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
please don't insult aperture science like that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol "the click is a lie!" get it?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Boxturret posted:

why does youtube have that red loading bar at the top now?

because it isn't loading a new page, its just replacing the center content and updating the UI while pushing a new URL onto the stack using the DOM history API

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

this is one of my favorite parts of being on klout, i actually liked a few of the samples i was sent enought to start using the products.

:stare:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

the google experience is everyone being in their own private A/B testing hell, all the time

which shade of red should satan be as he's stabbing ur balls! a or b

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

marissa red

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
does anyone here actually work at google lol

google have suddenly stopped dkim signing my outgoing mail on google apps for no apparent reason

its been working fine for 2-3 years but now the dkim sig header is missing on every email i send so they all get rejected by the recipients (because my dmarc policy says i dkim sign all mail)

i've tried turning signing off and on in the google apps control panel but it hasn't changed anything

has google changed something? how do i fix this? hjalp

interestingly google's own internal x-google-dkim-signature header is still intact. but nobody checks that, not even google

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

perhaps you can consider posting in the product support forums where the only response will be "maybe you need to reinstall outlook, you know how MS products are!!"

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

does advertising actually like... work on anyone whose mouth isn't perpetually hanging open

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

does advertising actually like... work on anyone whose mouth isn't perpetually hanging open

why are you asking us

oh rite

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

google have suddenly stopped dkim signing my outgoing mail on google apps for no apparent reason

its been working fine for 2-3 years but now the dkim sig header is missing on every email i send so they all get rejected by the recipients (because my dmarc policy says i dkim sign all mail)

i've tried turning signing off and on in the google apps control panel but it hasn't changed anything

interestingly google's own internal x-google-dkim-signature header is still intact. but nobody checks that, not even google

lol scroogled again

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rufus Ping posted:

how do i fix this? hjalp

have you tried humiliating google publicly on reddit? that usually works

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like how some blizzard decided to put up a 9 minute ad before videos.

nine minutes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

yes.

it induces familiarity with a brand

the very first time you buy a type of product, you're more likely to choose a brand you're familiar with than one you aren't

once you've bought a brand a single time, you're more likely to buy that same brand again when you next refill

this is why pregnant women are a goldmine to advertisers -- they're about to start buying a shitload of products they've never bought before, and they'll keep buying some or all of them for the next 18 years

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Rufus Ping posted:

i would just call google support at

at

hmmmm

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

poty posted:

i would just call google support at

at

hmmmm

no no, just use emai-- oh

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
the youtube just suddenly asked me if i still want to keep using my profile or perhaps some other profile instead?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
like holy poo poo, i caved in on the loving nagging about using a google+ profile, and you still keep nagging?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wheany posted:

like holy poo poo, i caved in on the loving nagging about using a google+ profile, and you still keep nagging?

dont stop im almost there

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

dont use google products

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pseudorandom name posted:

yes.

it induces familiarity with a brand

the very first time you buy a type of product, you're more likely to choose a brand you're familiar with than one you aren't

once you've bought a brand a single time, you're more likely to buy that same brand again when you next refill

this is why pregnant women are a goldmine to advertisers -- they're about to start buying a shitload of products they've never bought before, and they'll keep buying some or all of them for the next 18 years

also why every single car company sells their entry-level (sub)compacts with razor thin margin. they hope someone will buy them as their first car and then buy a new Honda/Toyota/Ford/Chevy every 3-5 years for the rest of their lives, eventually moving up to the expensive luxury marques.

that must be a hell of an annoying job because it sure seems like 80% of the time they roll out some hip new youth-oriented model then all the olds buy it and make it incredibly unappealing to early 20s people.

the "pregnant women worth tons of money" thing leads to much creepier results tho, like Target knowing you are pregnant via data mining before your family does.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shifty Pony posted:

also why every single car company sells their entry-level (sub)compacts with razor thin margin. they hope someone will buy them as their first car and then buy a new Honda/Toyota/Ford/Chevy every 3-5 years for the rest of their lives, eventually moving up to the expensive luxury marques.

also true on the lux badges, low margins on the entry level 3 series and their ilk

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Management posted:

the culmination of google engineering is an aperture science-like enrichment center

except the elevator doesn't work so you're stuck in a random room until you starve

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the enrichment also doesnt work

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

your leg stilts break your legs off at the shins

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

the japanese firms go a step further than that.

the toyota corolla is roughly double the size/weight/luxury it was twenty years ago because it's the same individual people buying it that were twenty years ago. they bought a cheap, small car in their 30s, a slightly larger and more expensive one in their 40s, and now they're 50 and buying something still larger and more expensive. all those cars were named "corolla".

the individual model's brand moves with you as you age. then they introduce a new model at the bottom end with minimum price and size to replace the previous model. c.f. yaris, fit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
radio stations do this too. each station targets a specific demographic, and the mix/format changes as the members of the target demo age.

your dad listens to the same radio station now that he did 20 years ago, but the format has changed quite a lot to reflect his cohort's changing taste

edit: and he probably does his listening in the same model of car he did 20 years ago. maybe a corolla.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

japanese cars and radio stations in this the google thread

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im starting 2 get hype for google i/o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
it'll be nice to see what crapple is preparing to "innovate" for iOS 9

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

whens this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
june 25/26 it says online idk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

smythe are u going to hitchhike to mountain view next week to be there?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

theadder posted:

japanese cars and radio stations in this the google thread

google used to dev broadcast radio software, but they spun it off

also my hometown has suddenly sprouted two more top 40 stations and a third country station, each one playing the exact same songs as their competitors

meanwhile, the college station (which plays literal polka on sundays) has half its playlist comprising limp bizkit and other lovely alt rock

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

smythe are u going to hitchhike to mountain view next week to be there?

well, i dont have an invite. but i have a car and went to sonoma state uni so i think i could make the drive. if i got an invite, well, i prolly cant go, b/c work. but i would like to. my dad is there this wk 4 some raeson idk y

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

well, i dont have an invite. but i have a car and went to sonoma state uni so i think i could make the drive. if i got an invite, well, i prolly cant go, b/c work. but i would like to. my dad is there this wk 4 some raeson idk y
sonoma state is a pro school, good on ya smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thnx. my high school grades were super fail lol

• Locked thread