Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Any good guides to pulling the head on a DRZ? Preferably pictures and text, not a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was asking about short, stock looking levers for the DRZ a while ago, and ended up finding these: http://www.drcproducts.com/control/d40-01/

Just put them on today. They're basically the stock levers but about half an inch shorter. And they're just $8 a lever from Wheeling Cycle.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Soooo... I bought a 1986 Yamaha XT 600. On a scale of 1-just buy one of our 690SMCs, how expensive/difficult will it be for me to make it into a :krad: vintage hooligan tool?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sportsman tires, an oversized front brake, and you'll have a good chunk of the fun.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So should I bother looking into fork swaps from later motocross bikes, or just leave it be? Also, how exact do I have to be if I want to track down a spare set of wheels to mount the sportsman tires onto? Same rim diameter/width and close enough sprocket, or keep searching until I find someone parting out another XT 600?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
There's this guy who just used 17 inch Warp 9 wheels.

http://www.sr500forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1050&start=0

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

So should I bother looking into fork swaps from later motocross bikes, or just leave it be? Also, how exact do I have to be if I want to track down a spare set of wheels to mount the sportsman tires onto? Same rim diameter/width and close enough sprocket, or keep searching until I find someone parting out another XT 600?

Meh just spring it right and call it good.

If you're going to have 2 sets of rims, buy a set of xt hubs and lace 17s to them. Or pick up a set of warp 9s, if you can get them. Just depends on what you want to spend.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

henne posted:

Any good guides to pulling the head on a DRZ? Preferably pictures and text, not a video.

Here's a thing that I forgot to post http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-laziest-possible-way-to-install-a-big-bore-kit-in-a-1187131608

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

That is hands down the best big bore how-to I have ever seen.

How many people here rock a 2 stroke sumo?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Man, I wish I hadn't just had to pay a fuckoff expensive bill, someone has put up a set of 17" excel rims laced to what l looks like talon hubs with a bunch of extras including the relocation bracket, sprocket and callipers for $1200 au. Every other offer I've seen locally has been using stock s hubs with excel rims and nothing else for at least $300 more.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So the EBC MXS pads still feel weak on the DRZ. I've bled the front and rear brake like 5 times each and it seems like the lever effort is fine but the initial bite is just bad. Are MX pads designed to not bite super hard initially to prevent instant wheel lock up on dirt or am I just an idiot that can't set up a brake system correctly? Maybe both.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I found a local supermoto group of like 100 dudes who ride a lot together... problem is they are so very different from CA. They don't do track days or anything like that because it's mostly college kids and the only gear anyone wears is a helmet pretty much. All the videos they post are of them doing wheelies or riding power line trails. It looks awesome and fun, but I do not think I should ever ride with them. I still need to just take it easy for a while, but I was wondering what you guy's thoughts are on riding with dudes who don't share your safety... philosophy?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

So the EBC MXS pads still feel weak on the DRZ. I've bled the front and rear brake like 5 times each and it seems like the lever effort is fine but the initial bite is just bad. Are MX pads designed to not bite super hard initially to prevent instant wheel lock up on dirt or am I just an idiot that can't set up a brake system correctly? Maybe both.

Refresh my memory, do you have a stock master? Stock line or braided line?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Razzled posted:

So I found a local supermoto group of like 100 dudes who ride a lot together... problem is they are so very different from CA. They don't do track days or anything like that because it's mostly college kids and the only gear anyone wears is a helmet pretty much. All the videos they post are of them doing wheelies or riding power line trails. It looks awesome and fun, but I do not think I should ever ride with them. I still need to just take it easy for a while, but I was wondering what you guy's thoughts are on riding with dudes who don't share your safety... philosophy?

If you're cool with someone losing most of their skin at least once a year, go for it duder.

Riding groups are dumb as poo poo and should mostly be avoided.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely go out and meet up with them, at the very least make some new friends. However, it might not be the best idea to go on a hooligan group ride given the amount of experience you have. A lot of stupid stuff happens on group rides due to distraction or trying to keep up. Just feel things out, if they are idiots then just don't meet up with them a second time.

edit: CA is kind of against group rides in general and I can't blame anyone who is, really stupid things happen during them sometimes. I'm pro (small) group riding though, just because I've met so many fun people through meetups.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 20, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

hot sauce posted:

I'd definitely go out and meet up with them, at the very least make some new friends. However, it might not be the best idea to go on a hooligan group ride given the amount of experience you have. A lot of stupid stuff happens on group rides due to distraction or trying to keep up. Just feel things out, if they are idiots then just don't meet up with them a second time.

Sounds about right. They're planning a huge group ride for Labor Day weekend, I figure that's a good time to go see what everyone's about. It'll give me some more time to practice too.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Sounds about right. They're planning a huge group ride for Labor Day weekend, I figure that's a good time to go see what everyone's about. It'll give me some more time to practice too.

It's probably better if you stayed away from anything more than a few in the group. The more people present, the more groupthink takes over. Also, you'll be even more pressured to keep up with a giant group like that so I'd suggest skipping that Labor Day ride.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Refresh my memory, do you have a stock master? Stock line or braided line?

Stock masters, braided front line. I don't know how much of a difference it makes but the MXS directions said to run them without the OEM backing plates so I did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you using a mityvac or the pump-crack-the-bleeder-close-the-bleeder-pump-repeat method? I had a hell of a time getting my brakes to bleed without the mityvac. I think it's made worse on bikes like the drz because you have that loop of brake line above the level of the master cylinder where bubbles collect.

You can get the bubbles to move, but by the time you close the bleeder, re-prime the master and open the bleeder, they've mostly floated back up to the top of the hoop. That's to say nothing if when you have to take the time to refill the tiny master reservoir.

The drz is hard to bleed in my experience, but it can be done.

As for the mxs pads themselves, taking into account that I have a brembo master as opposed to the stock master, only a moderate amount of force is required to stop, a big squeeze will either lock the tire up or put you into an endo. As we discussed earlier though the initial bite is less.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe it's just time to bust out the mityvac for the fifth time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh you've been using one already?

poo poo, I don't know then, the mityvac always does the trick for me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
By the way, is there any reason I shouldn't throw a kickstarter kit on my DRZ? I want to have my service guy do it when I come in for first service

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Other than the battery, there isn't anything to worry about with the drz starting system. If you want to throw $200 at something go nuts

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Other than the battery, there isn't anything to worry about with the drz starting system. If you want to throw $200 at something go nuts

Yeah, as much as I -want- one I don't do enough offroading to justify it. I imagine it's hard to bump start a DRZ on a dirt road.

Speaking of bump starting a DRZ.
I've run into a new thing. The engine just up and dies if I'm running down the highway at about 80, pull the clutch in, and drop the throttle (I was checking to see if I had my wallet).
All I had to do was carefully let the clutch back out and it came right back alive, but that still sucked and probably indicates I hosed something up with my carb.

Idle too low? Too lean/rich?

e: To clarify things a bit the engine was warm, I had a fullish tank of gas, it starts fine without any choke, and I have no running problems that I'm aware of.

e2: Also, it's not an instant thing. The revs just kind of drop off until the engine quits. I'm thinking it's the idle, but I'm sitting here at work where I can't play with it.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 21, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Mine did that when it was super loving rich on the pilot. Like fuel screw does nothing to the idle levels of rich.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

edit

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 22, 2014

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Leaned the fuel/air mix out a tiny bit and turned the idle up slightly. Everything worked out alright.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

First trip out. 160 mi.

I was quite surprised to find out It'll do 90.

My friends claim it smells like cooking bacon. :3:

Now to do fork seals, gently caress with the carb some more, and put a better rectifier on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

First trip out. 160 mi.

Now to do fork seals, gently caress with the carb some more, and put a better rectifier on it.

:stonklol:

That's amazing

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

First trip out. 160 mi.

This makes me so happy.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

First trip out. 160 mi.

Awesome!

I wish California would allow me to make my KDX 220 street legal. :( I would totally consider getting SuMo wheels for it if I could.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
CA is so drat weird. If I move back I can keep the 250 tagged, but the 04 yz450f isn't allowed a tag there.

NV? Yeah don't care, give us money.

Best part? I can swap wheels between the two bikes. two sumos for the price of one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kernel posted:

Awesome!

I wish California would allow me to make my KDX 220 street legal. :( I would totally consider getting SuMo wheels for it if I could.

There's a KDX220 for sale on BARF.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

It's a good thing I'm poor right now

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy these two and mount them on my DRZ? I kind of want a tach and having a speedometer that's supposedly accurate would be nice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Marxalot posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy these two and mount them on my DRZ? I kind of want a tach and having a speedometer that's supposedly accurate would be nice.

I think the only thing is they're kind of cheap feeling/looking right? Also, the backlit display doesn't turn off until like 20 minutes after you've turned the bike off so at night it can kind of act like a beacon if you're parking on the street or something.

I'm not sure if there was a way to make it turn off instantly or not, but other than that it's the go-to for people when the OEM speedo breaks.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Marxalot posted:

I don't think there's any need for a tach to be honest. The DRZ has such short gearing that it's probably going to just add a little flashy light to tell you to shift when you're already grabbing for another gear anyhow.

It also sets off red flags for the next guy if you remove your stock speedo/odo and replace it. It's fine on offroad dirt bikes / converted sumos and stuff but when I see that on bikes that should have a real OEM piece I get nervous that something happened.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012

Z3n posted:

There's a KDX220 for sale on BARF.

I don't see any CA plated ones that haven't been sold already.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kernel posted:

I don't see any CA plated ones that haven't been sold already.

Aww, that one I saw did end up selling. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

I think the only thing is they're kind of cheap feeling/looking right? Also, the backlit display doesn't turn off until like 20 minutes after you've turned the bike off so at night it can kind of act like a beacon if you're parking on the street or something.

I'm not sure if there was a way to make it turn off instantly or not, but other than that it's the go-to for people when the OEM speedo breaks.

They're only that way if you're running it off the bike's battery. It would be fairly easy to install an on/off battery switch on the side of it.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I don't think there's any need for a tach to be honest. The DRZ has such short gearing that it's probably going to just add a little flashy light to tell you to shift when you're already grabbing for another gear anyhow.

It also sets off red flags for the next guy if you remove your stock speedo/odo and replace it. It's fine on offroad dirt bikes / converted sumos and stuff but when I see that on bikes that should have a real OEM piece I get nervous that something happened.

Trying to resell it with an aftermarket odometer is about the only reason I haven't just up and bought one already. Having a tach/temp gauge/better speedo is neat and all, but I'm not sure it'll be worth the BS. You can set the odometer to your previous mileage, but it's not like you can easily prove what your earlier mileage was anyways.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread