Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chexoid posted:

Okay but first look at this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTE6S6x8ixA

Tell me this isn't literally Uncharted 2

This video does nothing but remind me of how much better the first two movies are than this one.

And how the second one was still a little crap, so I just ignore the series after the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Chexoid posted:

Okay but first look at this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTE6S6x8ixA

Tell me this isn't literally Uncharted 2

You can't force an enemy to shoot another while fighting them hand-to-hand in uncharted :colbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Has anyone read the Uncharted tie-in book The Fourth Labyrinth? Is it any good? Or should I avoid it like the plague? (the only tie-in novel for any kind of media I've ever read was the first Mass Effect novel, which was a bit meh)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Wheany posted:

You can't force an enemy to shoot another while fighting them hand-to-hand in uncharted :colbert:

Hey, maybe in 4.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Has anyone read the Uncharted tie-in book The Fourth Labyrinth? Is it any good? Or should I avoid it like the plague? (the only tie-in novel for any kind of media I've ever read was the first Mass Effect novel, which was a bit meh)

If I remember correctly, it was completely average. Like, 7/10 on the scale. Pretty typical tie-in novel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bruceski posted:

You're definitely missing out, but since the movies are 20-30 years old and hyped to hell and back I suggest you ratchet your expectations down a few notches. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Oh I know they're quite old, but I think they're the sort of film I'd like, I like older films a lot more than newer ones as a rule.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, it was completely average. Like, 7/10 on the scale. Pretty typical tie-in novel.

The world we live in is a bleak one indeed if 7/10 counts as average. :negative:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bruceski posted:

You're definitely missing out, but since the movies are 20-30 years old and hyped to hell and back I suggest you ratchet your expectations down a few notches. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Indiana Jones only gets better with age. :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

The world we live in is a bleak one indeed if 7/10 counts as average. :negative:
7/10 has been "average" since I was in kindergarden. It's a C-, a passing grade but you should work harder. I don't see what the problem is.

EDIT: I mean, besides the fact that it's completely arbitrary.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

bathroomrage posted:

Little known fact, movie review scores are in fact gamma-adjusted to allow a higher grade resolution at the crappy end where it is obviously most needed. To obtain the more perceptually oriented and computationally useful Linearized Appreciation Value for a published grade g one must apply the correction formula LAV(g) = 10*(g/10)2.2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

Compared to the world of Metacritic where a 60 is considered decent, I'll take 7/10 being average. Also, as has been said, 70% is pretty much the standard academic average for grading.

fe: loving metacritic makes no sense sometimes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

60 and 70 are considered mixed on metacritic. A 60 would be a D in school, which may or may not be a passing grade.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
What kind of notation do you guys use for average or sub-average grade then?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Iceclaw posted:

IGN 9.8

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
To be honest, I think it's in part because games are (for consoles in general, at least) fairly expensive, especially compared to DVDs and such. Hence, people try to limit themselves to games that have been rated decently. Eventually, it got to where it is now, where 7/10, considered a good score for a film, would be considered average for a game. At least, I reckon that's how it happened.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Iceclaw posted:

If the internet's reaction to 9/10 ratings for GTA V is anything to go by, this is true.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

smenj posted:

To be honest, I think it's in part because games are (for consoles in general, at least) fairly expensive, especially compared to DVDs and such. Hence, people try to limit themselves to games that have been rated decently. Eventually, it got to where it is now, where 7/10, considered a good score for a film, would be considered average for a game. At least, I reckon that's how it happened.
They're talking about a book, not a game.

Besides, 7/10 seems like an average score for a film to me, not a good one. Is that just me?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think the correct answer is that relying on a single number to indicate quality of largely subjective works is a bit silly.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

They're talking about a book, not a game.

Whoops, somehow managed to skim past that bit of the thread on my phone. Sorry guys!

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
And that's the end of Uncharted 3's single player! I'll be doing a few extra videos with Snarkcookie soon where we take a look at the multiplayer.

Episode 17: Proto-Buddha.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 18: Plunger Power.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just finished reading Skin Game and now we have been blessed with two videos?

Christmas is now June 14th.

Edit: Also, for Ironicus.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 14, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
How many ancient sites of unimaginable worth has Drake destroyed so far? Not only is he a mass murderer, he's probably single handedly one of the biggest banes to archaeology ever.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I've been watching your MGS LP's these last few days and just finished 4. Things you LP and old man fake out deaths seems to correspond eerily for me today.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Ah man, THAT was an action movie ending. Good LP guys.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I don't know if this has been asked previously, but on your first time through, how often did you die because you were too busy watching instead of playing? During that last escape piece I think I would've stopped every 5 feet just to look at everything around me. So pretty.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I can tell from just looking at the Uncharted games that I would hate the gameplay. But the art direction and set pieces are pretty amazing. Were it not for the LPs I'd have never seen any of that.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
That first treasure you found looked an awful lot like another statue. This one called Head of an Akkadian Ruler:

Which is from the Akkadian empire which came before Nebuchadnezzar who was Neo-Babylonian. The treasure even has a gouged out eye like the head which pretty much cements the fact that its based on the head.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, why was Talbot invincible to bullets when Charlie shot him? Wasn't the big reveal that djinns were just poison water?

On another note, I think the true message of the game is that Sully will outlive Drake, and no amount of yammering can ever change that fact.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And More posted:

So, why was Talbot invincible to bullets when Charlie shot him? Wasn't the big reveal that djinns were just poison water?

On another note, I think the true message of the game is that Sully will outlive Drake, and no amount of yammering can ever change that fact.

The game never says but it's safe to assume he was wearing a bulletproof vest. The game has some plotholes and doesn't address some things but that one isn't that big a deal.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

And More posted:

Not sure why you're using spoiler tags, but I guess I will too. I don't remember the scene you're talking about, but Iram fell because a giant jug of a hallucinogenic substance was cast into the water source and began to leak. This caused the residents to see many terrifying things, including djinn.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The only things I heard about this game before this LP was that it had no real supernatural elements, which sadly seems to be the case. One thing that bugs me about the latest update is that if Djinn are smokeless fire, then why do the ones you fight leave a cloud of black smoke when they die?

Anyway, good job Chip & Ironicus Thanks for the effort you put into this LP,
Looking forward to Wonderful 101, another LP thread were I can complain about Platinums fixation with Space Harrier.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Ariong posted:

Not sure why you're using spoiler tags, but I guess I will too. I don't remember the scene you're talking about, but Iram fell because a giant jug of a hallucinogenic substance was cast into the water source and began to leak. This caused the residents to see many terrifying things, including djinn.

I just thought it would be better to refrain from talking about everything that happens in the update immediately after the update without some spoiler tags. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon's explanation is satisfying enough, I guess. Maybe I was just hoping for something more magical.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They end walking onto a plane joking about how many parachutes it has, and the first scene of the credits is a plane crashed in the desert? Dark.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Hel posted:

The only things I heard about this game before this LP was that it had no real supernatural elements, which sadly seems to be the case. One thing that bugs me about the latest update is that if Djinn are smokeless fire, then why do the ones you fight leave a cloud of black smoke when they die?

It's all in Drake's head, remember. It's not exactly a surprise that his brain would prefer something flashy over something accurate.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

And More posted:

I just thought it would be better to refrain from talking about everything that happens in the update immediately after the update without some spoiler tags. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon's explanation is satisfying enough, I guess. Maybe I was just hoping for something more magical.

One of the problems with the game having a somewhat rushed production, along with problems like Cutter's actor leaving halfway through to do Hobbit movies, is that a few plot threads that probably would've been resolved in a much more satisfying way either get rushed to a conclusion, or just dropped. Like Cutter himself not getting a proper story arc - just breaking his leg and disappearing - or, like you said, everything surrounding Talbot. Given they have some bits earlier in the game - him using the psychotropic darts, getting shot and being fine, running around the corner and disappearing - where he does something weird and everybody talks about it, Talbot was probably intended to be one of the game's underlying mysteries. As it is, they never really went in to any of it and we never see any explanation, so we just have to suppose there was one.

Another part where this happened that really disappointed me personally was the scene where Marlowe accuses Drake of changing his name, perhaps not being a Drake at all. Would've been a great direction to go in, and would've fit the game's subtitle much better. Alas, nothing much came of it in the end. Maybe in Uncharted 4...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And More posted:

Considering how helpful NPCs tend to be you could think of it like everyone but Nate is firing blanks 9/10 times, too!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I am personally looking forward to Talbot's inevitable return in UC 4.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Broenheim posted:

That first treasure you found looked an awful lot like another statue. This one called Head of an Akkadian Ruler:

Which is from the Akkadian empire which came before Nebuchadnezzar who was Neo-Babylonian. The treasure even has a gouged out eye like the head which pretty much cements the fact that its based on the head.

Nebuchadnezzar was just a really old fashioned guy. He loved the classics.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.

Doesn't appear to have Shark Rider in there, so as a bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The game never says but it's safe to assume he was wearing a bulletproof vest. The game has some plotholes and doesn't address some things but that one isn't that big a deal.

The spiders is really the one thing that kind of bugged me. Massive swarms of giant poisonous spiders just show up and its just kind of a thing that happened. They weren't setup as big of a deal as Uncharted's zombies or 2's immortal blue man group but I was still expecting something. I was also super happy they made Talbot a melee fight because the first two games' actually were pretty bad, though I felt 2 was worse than 1. Running in a circle away from the big bad is not very fun.

Still a good game and a good LP.

• Locked thread