Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Coredump posted:

Can I take a moment to gloat how loving terrible RideApart has become and how far its fallen from the original ideal that Wes Siler and HellForLeather were going for? And how there is no more deserving of a person than Wes Siler to have this hanging around his head? http://rideapart.com/2013/11/eight-signs-you-are-a-jaded-motorcycle-expert/

Hard to blame the current state of Rideapart on Siler, he got fired from there back in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Hahaha I doubt this. Every single piece of media I've seen in my life indicates american city roads are insanely wide, with every gigantic vehicle still having a large air gap around it in lanes, parking spots, freeway lanes and turn-offs.

This is America:

:911:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Do it. The Swedes can seem a little haughty at first, but they're generally all nice people. And the hot Swedish chicks are hot.

Yeah, that's what happens when your ancestors are Viking raiders who only brought back the prettiest girls.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deeters posted:

This is America:

Check out Mr. Fancy with his divided lanes

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ThatCguy posted:

Hard to blame the current state of Rideapart on Siler, he got fired from there back in February.

I think the downfall of ride apart was complete before February though. At the very least there hasn't been a major shift in the type of media ride apart is putting out from February till now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
RideApart's been crap for a while, but it's kind of the fate of any online motomag, at least ones dependent solely on ad revenue, to inevitably just turn into a press release aggregator with some clickbait filler. The moto industry still isn't near where it was pre-crash which really throttled down on the interesting news and new bikes handed out for review. I think Motorcycle-USA has remained, well, ok, because it's got Moto-Superstore to mostly pay the bills, and VisorDown at least remains entertaining because it's got the classifieds to hold it up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here's Siler's latest pap: http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/

Why'd he get fired? The obvious answer?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that's what happens when your ancestors are Viking raiders who only brought back the prettiest girls.

They still shagged the not-so-pretty girls, mind you.

Which is why places like Ireland, despite their nation's Celtic heritage (dark hair, brown eyes etc.) has so many fair-skinned freckled redheads. They're all viking bastard ancestors.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 14, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Geirskogul posted:

I grew up in Idaho, and if people tried to lane-split there with their carriage-width roads and Swift trucks, there would be a lot of dead motorcyclists. I'm for it, but some places just aren't built for it.

Counterpoint: Lane splitting through sections of LA where they have crammed 6 lanes into what was once 4 lanes.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Deeters posted:

This is America:

Wow you've got the Buell branded GPS :worship:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

This is America:

:lol: in NZ that road would be unmarked and 1.5 cars wide. There are occasional wide spots for cars to go past eachother but otherwise you're in the gravel trying to crawl around eachother. And then large trucks use those roads and always seem to be coming around the next blind corner.

But I'm meaning city streets. I've seen STR's dashcam footage of him driving around Texas and the roads are crazy wide. Three lanes per side and his mid-sized car has like a meter of clearance in every direction when he's in a lane. From this point forward I will only accept the opinions of Americans who have been to europe/NZ as valid :colbert:

edit: I should clarify, in NZ that road would likely not be paved at all.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 14, 2014

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm American, and have lived and visited all over the Midwest, south, and west coast. I have also been to London and Austria. The roads in America are on average much much wider than the ones I experienced overseas. In and around London were the tightest roads I've ever driven on. It was nerve wracking sometimes in the tiny compact hatchback I was driving. SUVs and trucks would be impossible to use almost anywhere near London.

Yes, there are roads here and there that are tight in the US, but this was like the roads are all made for horses. Having a few places you wouldn't want to split doesn't mean it should be banned altogether.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

:lol: in NZ that road would be unmarked and 1.5 cars wide. There are occasional wide spots for cars to go past eachother but otherwise you're in the gravel trying to crawl around eachother. And then large trucks use those roads and always seem to be coming around the next blind corner.

But I'm meaning city streets. I've seen STR's dashcam footage of him driving around Texas and the roads are crazy wide. Three lanes per side and his mid-sized car has like a meter of clearance in every direction when he's in a lane. From this point forward I will only accept the opinions of Americans who have been to europe/NZ as valid :colbert:

edit: I should clarify, in NZ that road would likely not be paved at all.

Man, America is Awesome. :fsmug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is a roundabout about a kilometer from my house that has two lanes going into it from every direction. There are pictorial signs all around it indicating that cars should use the lanes as normal, but trucks should just drive down the middle and treat it as a wide singe lane road. This is a fairly normal setup in my area. Also normal in my area is a disproportionately large number of people who have a hard-on for retarded american vehicles imported into the country at exorbitant prices. Occasionally you see a ford F250 or similar go into those roundabouts and they simply do not fit in the individual lanes and end up squeezing out whoever is next to them onto the kerb.

Despite this, this is not an area where I have difficulty splitting because at least there are two lanes. Sometimes there is only one lane and a traffic island separating the two sides of the road making splitting completely impossible unless the stars have aligned and all the cars have ended up quite far over to the left.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Day Man posted:

The roads in America are on average much much wider than the ones I experienced overseas.
It's because americans are on average much much wider than people overseas. :haw:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Collateral Damage posted:

It's because americans are on average much much wider than people overseas. :haw:

And we tend to haul our hilariously oversized asses around in unnecessarily oversized vehicles. It makes us feel dainty and petite.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Day Man posted:

I'm American, and have lived and visited all over the Midwest, south, and west coast. I have also been to London and Austria. The roads in America are on average much much wider than the ones I experienced overseas. In and around London were the tightest roads I've ever driven on. It was nerve wracking sometimes in the tiny compact hatchback I was driving. SUVs and trucks would be impossible to use almost anywhere near London.

Yes, there are roads here and there that are tight in the US, but this was like the roads are all made for horses. Having a few places you wouldn't want to split doesn't mean it should be banned altogether.

This is my opinion as well. It won't work everywhere so you, as a motorcyclist with common sense, won't split everywhere. There is no reason to ban it altogether beside "If I have to sit in traffic so does that guy out there on his bike, gently caress him."

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

High Protein posted:

Wow you've got the Buell branded GPS :worship:
And as can be seen in the photo, it works about as well as the rest of the Buell electrics!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't like the battery-in-antenna design?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And as can be seen in the photo, it works about as well as the rest of the Buell electrics!

It's confused by trees and clouds. And it's the old school kind that you have to load up separate maps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress this town. I've deliberately changed my route home from work to one that takes 15-20 minutes longer simply because it's less deadly and I'm still averaging one emergency swerve per day.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

gently caress this town. I've deliberately changed my route home from work to one that takes 15-20 minutes longer simply because it's less deadly and I'm still averaging one emergency swerve per day.

http://www.americansafetyvest.com/cart/details.php?prodId=47 ?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Slavvy posted:

you should drive a car bro they are totally safe with built in stuff and things like that :agesilaus:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Slavvy posted:

Not being snarky, but maybe look further down the road? From your post it seems like you're seeing hazards as you come upon them. Maybe proactively look for them about 2 seconds ahead of you?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MoraleHazard posted:

Not being snarky, but maybe look further down the road? From your post it seems like you're seeing hazards as you come upon them. Maybe proactively look for them about 2 seconds ahead of you?

From everything else Slavvy has posted about his town I'm pretty sure it is just that every New Zealander is exactly as lovely as you would expect from descendents of genocidal criminals who were so abhorrent that the British didn't even want them in the same hemisphere.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

From everything else Slavvy has posted about his town I'm pretty sure it is just that every New Zealander is exactly as lovely as you would expect from descendents of genocidal criminals who were so abhorrent that the British didn't even want them in the same hemisphere.

wrong former colony - Australia is where we put all the people who liked short shorts and lovely beer, New Zealand is the place people fled to because they found Chalfont St. Latimer too cosmopolitan and exciting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wrong former colony - Australia is where we put all the people who liked short shorts and lovely beer, New Zealand is the place people fled to because they found Chalfont St. Latimer too cosmopolitan and exciting.

I thought New Zealanders moved there from Australia. Whatever. Slavvy's fellow islanders are still shitheads from everything he has told us.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Hahahahahaha, oh you! You think people use indicators or look before changing lanes here? Regardless, I've managed to avoid being punted off in ~5 years of riding so I must be doing something right.

Chichevache posted:

I thought New Zealanders moved there from Australia. Whatever. Slavvy's fellow islanders are still shitheads from everything he has told us.

I was driving down the motorway in my tercel last night. It was around 6:30 and there was next to no traffic at all. I was in the slow lane on a 2 lane section doing 100km/h. A guy in a 4runner towing a trailer loaded with timber speeds up beside me, then starts indicating and changing lanes directly into my car. At this point I was simultaneously laying on the horn and the brakes and just avoided getting launched into the gravel. Keeping in mind there was no one else around and the next exit was about 2km away. I changed lanes and came up beside him and he acted as if he hadn't seen me at all.

Now try to picture what it's like on a bike. I've started counting the number of people sitting in traffic on their ipad/smartphone playing a game or on facebook or whatever. My daily high is ten so far.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
No, I think there were people flourishing there for tens of thousands of years (hobbits, if memory serves me correctly). Then the British came in and brutally murdered/raped/pillaged/generally oppressed the natives as Europeans at the time were generally fond of doing, and voila!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And now, in the finest tradition of impoverished indigenous people everywhere, the natives roll around robbing liquor stores and being unemployed. But so do a lot of the Europeans; it's all very confusing!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

No, I think there were people flourishing there for tens of thousands of years (hobbits, if memory serves me correctly). Then the British came in and brutally murdered/raped/pillaged/generally oppressed the natives as Europeans at the time were generally fond of doing, and voila!

We did very little of the actual murdering ourselves, we mostly got natives from other places to do it for us. Leaves much more time for tea and crumpets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

loving poo poo loving rain gently caress.

It was dry when I left the office. It only started pouring when I got on the stop-and-go traffic interstate. Fortunately, I had the foresight to put my phone in a waterproof pocket beforehand.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm not seeing the issue here? Is it hailing as well or something?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

visor down -> glasses fog
visor up -> glasses get wet

Perf boots turn into a loving swamp no matter what. Waterproof overpants only waterproof in the loosest of senses. GoreTex jacket actually worked okay.

e. It was raining hard enough that it stung at 30. Riding in heavy rain is a completely different dynamic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've been riding to and from work in conditions like that nearly every day for the past month or so, and have done so in previous years. I worked out that if I take my glasses off entirely, the vision impairment from not wearing them is significantly less than the impairment from fog/water on the lenses. What really sucks is having to put on soaking wet gear the next day.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
PVC rain suit

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

PVC rain suit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I got one of those. It's only waterproof for the first fifteen-odd minutes and after that it just holds the water in. But that's beside the point; my jacket has a waterproof membrane. Nothing I can do about soaking wet gloves.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I got one of those. It's only waterproof for the first fifteen-odd minutes and after that it just holds the water in. But that's beside the point; my jacket has a waterproof membrane. Nothing I can do about soaking wet gloves.

I'm so glad I live in a place that has 9 dry months and 3 months of "it might rain a little" each year. Last winter we had a grand total of 11 rainy days (5 of which were actually pretty extreme), but otherwise there was no need for any rain gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What a loving disastrous night I had.

I left yesterday afternoon at like 4 P to get to Asheville, NC and Deals Gap from central Ohio at like 3-4 AM. Stopped at a friend's house along the way north of Columbus to shoot the poo poo for a half hour or so and the next thing I know a half hour has turned to 4 hours and it's 9 PM. I hit the road, get to Columbus. I'm on 270 and that bullshit with my shifter happened. hosed around for hours thinking about what to do and lugging around in 5th-6th gear trying to find a Wal-Mart. Rigged up a lovely fix and went on my way.

Along US 23 south of Columbus I pass a truck and I see a flash in my peripheral vision. I didn't know wtf and looked around and saw this trucker flashing me with a camera or phone or something. I immediately think that he's telling me there's something wrong with my bike or luggage. I pull over and everything checks out and go on my way, but now I'm nervous as hell. I get to a gas station north of Circleville to fill up. There's just me and a cop. I ask the cop if he can get behind me and honk his horn or something if he sees anything immediately wrong. I'm sitting there with my helmet and gloves off waiting for him. He takes off without warning so I hurry up and get my poo poo on to get in front of him. He doesn't honk his horn or anything and pulls off.

45ish miles later I pull over to walk around and rest my rear end a bit. I go to reach for something in my pocket and realize my wallet isn't there. I look everywhere and dump out my bag. Nothing. I hope that I left it on the ground at the gas station and book it back. Nothing there and no one turned it in. I double back to the point I realized it was missing and slowly look at the road for 45 loving miles looking for my wallet. All of my cash is in it along with my ID. Do you know how many loving chunks of tire and other poo poo kinda looks like it may be a wallet are on the side of a road? loving hell.

At this point I'm 12 hours into the trip and exhausted from loving around with my friend, the shifter, and my wallet. I stop at a state park, take my meds, and knocked myself out on a picnic table for a good 4 hours. I would've been out longer but woke up to a guy mowing a few feet from me. I get back to the gas station thinking maybe I was absent minded and threw my wallet away in the garbage can along with my drink. They already changed the bags. At this point I have no cash, no way accessing my bank account, and my tank has had the low fuel light on for 10-15 miles. I know no one that can come down as far as I was on a weekday.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1350 I bought 4 years ago for like $180. I figure it has to be worth 20ish bucks and I need cash to get home. The only idea I had was loving approaching people trying to hock this GPS. No one bit. Here I am annoying people with what sounds like shady bullshit and hating myself for it. Started talking to another guy who was stuck there because the shifter in his Grand Am was stuck in park. After seeing me failing for 20 minutes he offered $10 to me. I can't stand taking money from a stranger, but I got his address and I'm mailing him a $20 for being awesome as soon as I get this bullshit with my ID worked out.

Now I'm home and wide awake when I should be in a king size bed with a hot girl resting for an awesome ride at Deals Gap. Instead my rear end has to get up and go the social security office and the BMV trying to fix this. gently caress this bullshit.

Oh and when I got home I was way too exhausted to pull into the garage since it's in a separate building from my apartment. I passed out and woke up to a storm so now it's out there sitting in the rain. gently caress.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 19, 2014