Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shane86
Aug 7, 2008

DropShadow posted:

That's why I don't have one. If BMW offered a manual 335i Touring, I'd be all over it.
They made the 535iT for awhile though.. those are pretty bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My buddy is just about to pick up an C5 Allroad with a fresh 2.7tt, K04 turbos, RS4 intercoolers and a coilover conversion. So jealous.

As for the Protege5, I had a 5spd one for a year or two and liked it, but it's WAY down on power and the platform doesn't really lend itself well to mods or anything. I love how it looks, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As for the Protege5, I had a 5spd one for a year or two and liked it, but it's WAY down on power and the platform doesn't really lend itself well to mods or anything. I love how it looks, though.

This has not stopped half the guys on ProtegeGarage.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Old Wagon (estate over here but hey), 1999 Audi A6 1.8T SE, northern Italy in 2009 for a family holiday. A fun drive down through France and Switzerland, back via Austria, Germany and Belgium. Despite the size of the trunk, there is still not enough room for all our junk, hence another 500L on the roof.

Current Estate, A 2009 Ford Mondeo 2.0TDSI Titanium X in the same place last summer, also includes my father-in-laws VW Passat. Stuck with the Germany / Austria route this time to save money but the traffic was horrific. The other way is a far nicer drive despite the lack of autobahn.

I can't think of buying anything else for a family car, especially if you like doing this sort of thing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DropShadow posted:

Former 2011 A4 Avant owner. ;)

B8 A4 Allroads are nice, but like my '11 Avant, underpowered. C5 allroads are the poo poo.

What do you have now? I think something with more power is out of my price range.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

What do you have now? I think something with more power is out of my price range.

2013 S4. Missed the power of my '11 S4 too much after trading it for the '11 A4 Avant. If I hadn't owned the first S4 for a little while, I probably wouldn't have had any problems owning the Avant longer.

By the way, I have no idea who I am speaking to.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Wasn't that iPD's off-road one-off? I think I remember seeing it on their website at one point. Foglight is out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DropShadow posted:

2013 S4. Missed the power of my '11 S4 too much after trading it for the '11 A4 Avant. If I hadn't owned the first S4 for a little while, I probably wouldn't have had any problems owning the Avant longer.

By the way, I have no idea who I am speaking to.

Oh, you would have no reason to know me, I just got my Audi a few months ago. It's kind of in my blood as my father has owned eight Audi's and even done the Austrian winter driving thing. He has the same vehicle as me, but a prestige.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

netwerk23 posted:

Wasn't that iPD's off-road one-off? I think I remember seeing it on their website at one point. Foglight is out.

Yes. Its a xc70 with a 400hp v70r engine and 6 speed. Everything on that car was 1 off custom that i would have not hesitated to buy when i had my wagon but was never offered for sale

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

kmcormick9 posted:

Yes. Its a xc70 with a 400hp v70r engine and 6 speed. Everything on that car was 1 off custom that i would have not hesitated to buy when i had my wagon but was never offered for sale

or the +600hp racing tuned S60Rs.... :fap:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shane86 posted:

I can confirm this, mrs mango drives an 08 e61. I didn't do a tune but even stock 300bhp 300ft-lbs is awesome.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

shane86 posted:

Yeah, but I just can't get over the E60's front end.

actionjackson posted:

Oh, you would have no reason to know me, I just got my Audi a few months ago. It's kind of in my blood as my father has owned eight Audi's and even done the Austrian winter driving thing. He has the same vehicle as me, but a prestige.

Ah, gotcha. Sounded like you knew me at first, and I couldn't place the screen name. I'm on Audi #5 personally. :D

blk
Dec 19, 2009

shane86 posted:

Is the USDM one Xdrive only?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

blk posted:

I don't think so. There's a 535iT roaming around here that is RWD. Manual too.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

netwerk23 posted:

Yep! I still had my 242 Turbo back when they were still building it. I drove down to iPd to pick up some parts and they had it driving around their lot with an open exhaust :)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/sweet-mother-of-wagons-1551258027/@matthardigree

That's a pretty great looking picture.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

blk posted:

DropShadow posted:

I don't think so. There's a 535iT roaming around here that is RWD. Manual too.

By the E61 LCI in '08 (ours is an 08) I think X-Drive was the only option. I didn't check to see if special order rwd was available at the time since I was able to find the car I wanted pretty easily and didn't mind having it. Manual Tourings are truly unicorns.

I'm just mad we didn't get the real F11 wagon in the US and only got the GT F07. The F11 is really good looking.

That Volvo concept is hot, too. Doesn't someone here have the hot Volvo R60 wagon (or whatever that racy one was)?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

The new ride.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Ultimate Mango posted:

Manual Tourings are truly unicorns.

No kidding, I bought an '06 530xiT recently and at the same time there was a manual with the same miles, color and options. It sold within three days for twice what I ended up paying for my auto.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KennyLoggins posted:

The new ride.

She's purrrrrrdy.

Wait, it's not the right color to be a V is it? The CTS V Wagon is the most insane and awesome thing ever and I will be sad when it dies and doesn't come back.

Enjoy the ride and take good care of her.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ultimate Mango posted:

She's purrrrrrdy.

Wait, it's not the right color to be a V is it? The CTS V Wagon is the most insane and awesome thing ever and I will be sad when it dies and doesn't come back.

Enjoy the ride and take good care of her.

It's not a V.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Larrymer posted:

It's not a V.

Dude still gets huge props for buying one of these. If it had been available at the time I got my bmw wagon I almost certainly would have gotten the caddy instead. Shame GM isn't likely to refresh the wagon now that the CTS has a new model.

You know, I am going to go give my wagon a wash right now and show the gal some love.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

If I actually had money I'd probably be in a CTV wagon instead of a lovely subaru wagon.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Magnum, now the CTS Wagon.

gently caress you america, enjoy your lovely CUVs.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ultimate Mango posted:

Dude still gets huge props for buying one of these.

Wasn't knocking it, they're nice cars. And the V6 is a decent engine in it's own right.

I love the V but god drat is the gas mileage terrible. I've driven a couple of them and it's a freaking rocket ship but 14/19 mpg hurts. I'd probably buy the V6 wagon before the V, sadly. :(

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 15, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Finally got a station wagon!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
I wanted something more practical then my 2006 DTS. So the main contenders were a 2008+ XC70, 2011+ Jeep GC or CTS SportWagon. Having had a few first and second gen CTS's loaners they are great to drive and don't suck down fuel like a 4 speed 06+ N* does. I tried looking at XC70's but not being familiar with Volvo's I was hesitant and 2011+ Jeep GC's most were base Laredo trim. Coming from owning 2 DTS's I want some options. So I pretty much narrowed it down to the CTS SportWagon. They are hard to find I had to drive out of state to get this one and most have the 3.0L that while adequate isn't exactly a powerhouse (its probably even worse in the new gen SRX). It's the Performance trim with the adaptive headlights and AWD and a decent BLOWS™ Navigation. Keyless Access is awesome. And the handling in FE2 trim is way better then my former Magneride equipped DTS its not even funny.

Ultimate Mango posted:

She's purrrrrrdy.

Thanks. Not a V.

304 raging HP from GM's do it all 3.6L DI High Feature V6. Its a great motor and coming from my DTS it can hold its own and at the top end it has way more usable power.

Mighty Horse posted:

Magnum, now the CTS Wagon.

gently caress you america, enjoy your lovely CUVs.

I think the production of the second generation CTS SportWagon has now ceased. drat shame they aren't going to continue with the third gen.

Larrymer posted:

Wasn't knocking it, they're nice cars. And the V6 is a decent engine in it's own right.

I love the V but god drat is the gas mileage terrible. I've driven a couple of them and it's a freaking rocket ship but 14/19 mpg hurts. I'd probably buy the V6 wagon before the V, sadly. :(

Coming back home hauling rear end I got 24.4 MPG. A number my Performance sedan DTS could never achieve (3.71 axle ratio). I've been averaging in the 20s driving like a mad man on a commute I routinely got 17 MPG before :smith:

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2014

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

KennyLoggins posted:

The new ride.

I've been looking for the right one of these myself. Nearly pulled the trigger on an '11 Performance RWD with 29k miles - but I really want the moonroof. Glad to hear that in goony hands the fuel economy is actually not bad.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Some people have reported that the huge moon roof can be a source of noises and be a bear to diagnose. I have it and don't experience any noises but I don't like the fabric shade I prefer the solid moon roof shades. Funny enough when I ran the RPO codes it said the car had Moon Roof Delete.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So a guy wanted to sell his Volvo. Thing is, he had a camera and a sense of humor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0nkStZnWo

Volvo noticed. So they let him borrow a new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2298iagVro

Still haven't caught my breath.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-Hornet-Sportabout-1972-amc-hornet-sportabout-wagon-rare-gucci-pkg-american-motors-classic-/161352568945

Someone needs to buy this, although he wants way too much for it.

But look at the interior!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

:stare: Ye gods.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The true nature of the wife's wagon was revealed today after a wash and quickwax. :ohdear:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 13, 2014

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

Did I post this yet?

New toy, fits loadsa poo poo in it, has the ability to go sideways, and has lovely "Linglong" brand tyres.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Help me, wagon thread. I'm ready to buy a car and due to bikes and dog and their general superiority I want a wagon. I also want a manual transmission because automatics make me feel dead inside. I'm looking to stay around 20k give or take and the only alternatives I'm seeing with a manual that wouldn't have a gazillion miles are Subaru Outbacks and VW Jettas. I did drive an Acura TSX wagon and absolutely loved it until I go to shift gears and there's a sad little gear selector in D that won't let me. I would buy that car tomorrow if it had a manual but here we are.

So, wagon thread, what cars (if any) am I missing? The long-term reliability and parts cost of the Jetta worry me and the Outback feels like a much bigger car than it is. And I mean that negatively. Is there anything else out there? Or should I just buy the TSX and enjoy all the features and comfort and looks and oh god I like that car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What mileage/year are you trying to stay under?

Passat wagon
Volvo V50/70 but it'd be older.
You could find a 3 or 5 series wagon in that price point too.
Some hatchbacks might fit the bill. The first gen Mazda3 is pretty much the same size as the JSW.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Bovril Delight posted:

What mileage/year are you trying to stay under?

Passat wagon
Volvo V50/70 but it'd be older.
You could find a 3 or 5 series wagon in that price point too.
Some hatchbacks might fit the bill. The first gen Mazda3 is pretty much the same size as the JSW.

My wife's car is a Scion xA so we don't want a second car that's so close in size. After going camping in the Scion with two bikes on the roof, our car camping gear and weekend biking stuff in the back and our greyhound in the back seat we really want something a little bigger. We drove an Impreza but it didn't fit my wife quite right and I wasn't too impressed with the interior.

I'd like to stay 2009 and newer with under or around 50k on it. I don't drive that much but I want to keep whatever I get for a long time.

/edit - re: Ze Germans. My last car (I can't believe it's been 5 years since I had a car) was an E46 330i Performance Package which I still dream about at night. I bought it CPO with the extended warranty. Unfortunately I can't find a wagon in the CPO program that's low-priced enough, I don't want to spend as much money this time around since I won't be driving it every day. If I could find something with a longer warranty I'd be into it though.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I have an '08 a4 avant with a 6 speed in it and it's definitely worth less than 20k, though they're hard to find and german to maintain.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My wagon doin' wagon stuffs in Key Largo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Sup unibody 4 door liftback people

• Locked thread