Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm not sure if salvina minima is worse than duckweed. Salvina does stick to your arm like you would not believe though.

I did wind up with a pair of flagfish that cleared the surface of a 55 gallon of the stuff once, though, so opinions may vary.

I have a small net dedicated to removing SM. Once a month I skim the surface like a trolling net and remove as much as possible then I go back with a set of long tweezers and fish out any strays. One month later it magically reappears and I am repeating the process. gently caress salvina minima and whoever I bought plants from in the past that carried that poo poo. (it wasn't a forum member here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, in restructuring my poor tank into something else, I hit a fun snag.
So I'm switching to a classic old canister filter. I've got the hang of things now anyway as the fish were surviving in the last run. However, I had to tear it all down in fear of what all bleach was soaked into things obviously. As part of cleaning out the tank, I decided it was time to get the full 16 gallons back to work with and demolished the false wall in my nuvo 16. I posted a terrible phone pic of it a few weeks ago without the wall.

Back to the canister filter though. I went with the eheim classic 2215 since everyone adores that line specifically, and that one worked well with the size lily pipes from gla (13mm and thus 12mm tubing). I got it in from drsfoster earlier this week and got around to unboxing it last night. It seemed kind of big, but didn't think anything of it. I was skipping the hosing as I planned to do clear anyway. Then I realized I still needed the shutoff connectors. There was two, but one was bigger than the other which was odd. Then I realized the tubing was as well. That is when I finally looked and realized that oops, I have a 2217.

Half of me is exciting since it was $50 more and thus in my favor. On the other hand, half of me is thinking of asking for a replacement since I'm unsure how the effects of a tubing reducer (kind of, 13mm intake glass tube that'll hit a fitting to up the diameter to the 16mm of the filter intake) on the intake will do to the pump. And I'd rather not using the horrible green tube thing it comes with. Output was going to be reduced on the 2215 anyway, so I'm wondering if there will be any ill effects to this setup.

Edit: oh, and if you have a few thousands to spend on a all in one tank setup, ADG (aquarium design group, who used to be one of two ADA distributors in the US) has finally opened the doors on their aquavas line. For those in europe, you'll recognize it from their previous name of Natural Aquario (NA). NA started life as basically a copycat of ADA, but from what I've read had matched ADA relatively closely in quality while still offering a lower price point. The real question will be how ADG handles taking over NA.
http://www.aquavasaquarium.com/
Note that the smallest aquarium is a 30gal setup that includes tank, stand, light, and filter for 2.5k Including shipping for the US (alaska and hawaii being exempt as always).

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 14, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So now that I've built my own filter and straightened some things up, I'm looking to make a wall of plants along the back to hide air lines and the filter hose. I was thinking Cabomba, but I want to know how fast it grows and spreads before I go loading up on it.

Also thinking about building a model of the Seehund and anchoring it to the bottom so it floats at periscope depth

V I've a 30 myself and it's really simple. The hardest part is waiting for the tank to cycle. So long as I don't overload it it works fine (which is a challenge at times with Mollies). Already have lucky bamboo situated around the tank and an undergravel filter along with the other mentioned above which seems to work well

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 14, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to keep some fish because I've been really missing my cat lately (I moved into a new apartment with no pets allowed... so she stayed at the old house with my dad). I read through the first 35~ pages of this thread, and looked online, but I'm honestly lost. I need some help with a few things, but a full walkthrough would be helpful.

1. I don't know what size of aquarium I need. I want something hard to mess up at the beginning, since I'm new to the hobby. 20-25g seems to be the consensus.
2. I don't really know where to get decently priced aquariums, my LFS has 10 gallon tanks for $50+ and that seems super high.
3. I don't know exactly which fish I want to keep. I know I want some Corys, so maybe 6 of those, and a Nerite snail if they wouldn't bother each other. Also just a few tetras, and maybe one larger fish as the center piece, but nothing that gets bigger than a 20-25g tank.
4. I plan on having a planted tank, so I was going to do the fishless cycling thing, but what kind of filter would I need/where could I get one, again, LFS is insanely high priced. (first I need to find out which fish I want)

Sorry for so many questions, but my wife and I would feel horrible if we murdered some fish via neglect. I'll probably ask for brand/size recommendations of some of this stuff after I figure out what it is I need exactly.

Oh, also, what's the price range for all of this minus the fish?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GreyPowerVan posted:

Okay, I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to keep some fish because I've been really missing my cat lately (I moved into a new apartment with no pets allowed... so she stayed at the old house with my dad). I read through the first 35~ pages of this thread, and looked online, but I'm honestly lost. I need some help with a few things, but a full walkthrough would be helpful.

1. I don't know what size of aquarium I need. I want something hard to mess up at the beginning, since I'm new to the hobby. 20-25g seems to be the consensus.
2. I don't really know where to get decently priced aquariums, my LFS has 10 gallon tanks for $50+ and that seems super high.
3. I don't know exactly which fish I want to keep. I know I want some Corys, so maybe 6 of those, and a Nerite snail if they wouldn't bother each other. Also just a few tetras, and maybe one larger fish as the center piece, but nothing that gets bigger than a 20-25g tank.
4. I plan on having a planted tank, so I was going to do the fishless cycling thing, but what kind of filter would I need/where could I get one, again, LFS is insanely high priced. (first I need to find out which fish I want)

Sorry for so many questions, but my wife and I would feel horrible if we murdered some fish via neglect. I'll probably ask for brand/size recommendations of some of this stuff after I figure out what it is I need exactly.

Oh, also, what's the price range for all of this minus the fish?

Depends... Do you live in the Bay Area,CA?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends... Do you live in the Bay Area,CA?

Nope, sorry. Southeastern US, Alabama specifically.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
As far as fish go, look around. Even ebay works. I've had great success through there. Heck, an hour after they showed up one of the mollies gave birth to about 20 fry. It'll expand your options a bit and might be less expensive since pet shops seem to price based on the "coolness" of a fish

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

As far as fish go, look around. Even ebay works. I've had great success through there. Heck, an hour after they showed up one of the mollies gave birth to about 20 fry. It'll expand your options a bit and might be less expensive since pet shops seem to price based on the "coolness" of a fish

Yeah, my LFS is absurdly priced, so I'll just look around online.

Ordering fish doesn't result in many dead fish?

EDIT: Is there a site kind of like the load calculator where I can post my tank size, current planned fish, and get other fish recommended that work in the same water parameters/generally get along with them?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

GreyPowerVan posted:

EDIT: Is there a site kind of like the load calculator where I can post my tank size, current planned fish, and get other fish recommended that work in the same water parameters/generally get along with them?

The fish are frozen so they are shipped in a "suspended animation." Just drop into your tank to thaw.

If you have predator fish though, it's recommended that you thaw in a bowl of water.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

omnibobb posted:

The fish are frozen so they are shipped in a "suspended animation." Just drop into your tank to thaw.

If you have predator fish though, it's recommended that you thaw in a bowl of water.

Oh cool, can I get freeze dried varieties like astronaut food? Just put some water on them and then poof, fish.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh cool, can I get freeze dried varieties like astronaut food? Just put some water on them and then poof, fish.

No. That's ridiculous.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

omnibobb posted:

No. That's ridiculous.

:unsmith: I knew it was too good to be true.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GreyPowerVan posted:

I haven't had any, fish or shrimp. Mine came out of Florida, you're much closer.

And no, they weren't frozen, they came in breather bags packed with a small heating pad to keep them warm.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

I haven't had any, fish or shrimp. Mine came out of Florida, you're much closer.

And no, they weren't frozen, they came in breather bags packed with a small heating pad to keep them warm.

Cool, I'll definitely look into ordering the fish to save money. Thanks.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Welcome to the thread! You may want to look at craigslist for used setups -- generally 3 to 5 dollars per gallon is a good bargain for heater, filter, light, tank, decor. Buying new won't come cheaply, and you can easily get up to 10 bux a gallon for the whole setup. how far away a drive is Atlanta for you, by the way?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fusillade posted:

Welcome to the thread! You may want to look at craigslist for used setups -- generally 3 to 5 dollars per gallon is a good bargain for heater, filter, light, tank, decor. Buying new won't come cheaply, and you can easily get up to 10 bux a gallon for the whole setup. how far away a drive is Atlanta for you, by the way?

A drive to Atlanta is doable if I need to pick up equipment there. So 3-5 dollars per gallon includes everything I need except the water supplies and fish when buying used?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GreyPowerVan posted:

A drive to Atlanta is doable if I need to pick up equipment there. So 3-5 dollars per gallon includes everything I need except the water supplies and fish when buying used?
I am sure it depends on location, but around here (Chicago), you can do a lot better than 3-5 per gallon used on cl. I just saw a 55 gallon full setup with stand for 75 and that's not a super unusual price.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Slugworth posted:

I am sure it depends on location, but around here (Chicago), you can do a lot better than 3-5 per gallon used on cl. I just saw a 55 gallon full setup with stand for 75 and that's not a super unusual price.

Yeah, I was looking on craigslist earlier, and the best prices I could find was 55 gallons with stand/everything but a filter for 150. I wish I lived nearer to a main city.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My three little keyhole cichlids settled into their new home instantly, not even a short hiding phase. They all come to the front of the tank to beg for food whenever someone walks by. Such an underrated cichlid. Also their fins totally healed within 4 days of getting away from the jewel cichlids at the store.
Tldr; keyhole cichlids own

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

aqadvisor.com is what you're looking for. Recently it's been giving me trouble with all kinds of bullshit redirections to sketchy sites, but that's just on one PC. I can access it fine from work.

Question for others in the thread: does anybody here have any experience with true Red Terrors? I'm really interested in setting up a tank for a lone female, but most of the info I find online seems tailored for keeping males or pairs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I work in a day care and I'm thinking about getting a fish tank for the class. And after reading the OP I have a few questions.

For filtration can I get a cheap mechanical one to start and then switch to a biological? If so how hard is that to do?

What is the hardiest fish that would survive a room with kids age 5-12? I have to imagine I'll end up having to say "Don't poke the glass" quite a few times and they will probably end up overfed.

My tank will just be a little 10 gallon one because that's what I have sitting in storage.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I work in a day care and I'm thinking about getting a fish tank for the class. And after reading the OP I have a few questions.

For filtration can I get a cheap mechanical one to start and then switch to a biological? If so how hard is that to do?

What is the hardiest fish that would survive a room with kids age 5-12? I have to imagine I'll end up having to say "Don't poke the glass" quite a few times and they will probably end up overfed.

My tank will just be a little 10 gallon one because that's what I have sitting in storage.

What kind of filter were you thinking about that has mechanical and not biological? Those are both the main ones, the optional one is chemical filtration. The bio part is what actually takes care of your fish's waste, so it's pretty important and not something to leave out.

As far as fish that are bullet proof and in that size range? Zebra danios are pretty much bullet proof, as are white clouds. Could go guppies too, but just make sure you only get males because they will breed and then you're stuck explaining where babies come from to a four year old.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shakenbaker posted:

What kind of filter were you thinking about that has mechanical and not biological? Those are both the main ones, the optional one is chemical filtration. The bio part is what actually takes care of your fish's waste, so it's pretty important and not something to leave out.

As far as fish that are bullet proof and in that size range? Zebra danios are pretty much bullet proof, as are white clouds. Could go guppies too, but just make sure you only get males because they will breed and then you're stuck explaining where babies come from to a four year old.

The OP says there's two main types of filtration. The biological that uses bio balls and mechanical that uses sponges and filters. When I was scoping out prices the ones with balls are a bit more money than I have at the moment but I can get a filter one pretty cheap. Just not sure if it's an easy change to make or if I should wait until I have the money on hand to just start with the fancier one.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Len posted:

The OP says there's two main types of filtration. The biological that uses bio balls and mechanical that uses sponges and filters. When I was scoping out prices the ones with balls are a bit more money than I have at the moment but I can get a filter one pretty cheap. Just not sure if it's an easy change to make or if I should wait until I have the money on hand to just start with the fancier one.

Mechanical filtration is something like a sponge, or a physical barrier, to mechanically strain large debris. The biological filter is bacteria which sets up on surfaces inside your filter, and aquarium, to convert ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate, completing the nitrogen cycle. You'll end up having both one way or another.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Ahh, I see and I also think I know where you're confused. Basically mechanical filtration is to remove the particulate matter from the water, basically like a strainer. The biological filter is there to actually clean the water and is the part that keeps your fish from dying. You'll for sure want both.

The balls are one just one sort of bio media, and there are lots of things you can use. You want something for bacteria to grow on so that they have a place to live where the water runs over them. Open cell sponges work, or even something like nylon pot scrubbies do the job. Just needs to be porous and not treated with any kind of agent that kills bacteria or anything.

I'm guessing you'll be using a hang on back filter? Put something to strain the chunky bits out first, and then toss in some pot scrubbies. Easy as pie.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a good tip on how to more effectively remove excess nitrates? I have a continual problem with high levels of nitrates in my 55. It is moderate to heavily planted so I have plenty of that, I run dual canisters and take each one out of rotation monthly for maintenance. I could do more frequent water changes but I am looking for a better long term solution. I was reading up and may have to use nitro-zorb in one or both of my filters, that or Purigen which can help. I also saw a neat trick where a guy made a DIY algae farm with the purpose of sucking up excess nitrates and thought that might work too. I am open to suggestions or advice though.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Anyone have a good tip on how to more effectively remove excess nitrates? I have a continual problem with high levels of nitrates in my 55. It is moderate to heavily planted so I have plenty of that, I run dual canisters and take each one out of rotation monthly for maintenance. I could do more frequent water changes but I am looking for a better long term solution. I was reading up and may have to use nitro-zorb in one or both of my filters, that or Purigen which can help. I also saw a neat trick where a guy made a DIY algae farm with the purpose of sucking up excess nitrates and thought that might work too. I am open to suggestions or advice though.
I'd check your tank for a hidden decomposing fish/snail/etc, my tank is a moderately planted 110g and I have 0 nitrates.

I even had a dead and decomposing bulb in there for about 3 months, which was contributing heavily to ammonia (and thus nitrates). High nitrates in a planted tank is not normal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shakenbaker posted:

Ahh, I see and I also think I know where you're confused. Basically mechanical filtration is to remove the particulate matter from the water, basically like a strainer. The biological filter is there to actually clean the water and is the part that keeps your fish from dying. You'll for sure want both.

The balls are one just one sort of bio media, and there are lots of things you can use. You want something for bacteria to grow on so that they have a place to live where the water runs over them. Open cell sponges work, or even something like nylon pot scrubbies do the job. Just needs to be porous and not treated with any kind of agent that kills bacteria or anything.

I'm guessing you'll be using a hang on back filter? Put something to strain the chunky bits out first, and then toss in some pot scrubbies. Easy as pie.

I'm not sure what kind of filter I'll be using. I know where my old tank is but not where the filter is. I think it was an over the back thing? If I don't find it before my next pay day I'll probably just get a new one. But I don't know what kind I'll get. Looking it up there's all sorts ranging in price from cheap to expensive. With internal/external and all sorts of options when it comes to hoe they actually filter. What would be ideal for a tiny little tank with live pants and the fish you suggested?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Egan Yardley posted:

I'd check your tank for a hidden decomposing fish/snail/etc, my tank is a moderately planted 110g and I have 0 nitrates.

I even had a dead and decomposing bulb in there for about 3 months, which was contributing heavily to ammonia (and thus nitrates). High nitrates in a planted tank is not normal.

All the fish are accounted for.. but the snails, oh the snails. I have one of those runaway snail infestations and the loach feasts on them. The bottom of my tank looks like the opening scenes of Terminator when they are crushing the skulls & bones in the future scene, only with snail shells. Would decomposing plant matter also cause this as well?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Len posted:

I'm not sure what kind of filter I'll be using. I know where my old tank is but not where the filter is. I think it was an over the back thing? If I don't find it before my next pay day I'll probably just get a new one. But I don't know what kind I'll get. Looking it up there's all sorts ranging in price from cheap to expensive. With internal/external and all sorts of options when it comes to hoe they actually filter. What would be ideal for a tiny little tank with live pants and the fish you suggested?

Just a hanger for 10-20 gallons is all you really need. The most important part to all of this is letting it cycle to get those colonies growing before dropping the fish in.
All the filters with bells and whistles like bio-wheels and such do basically the same thing a basic filter with a few of those scrunchies inside do. They're trying to increase the amount of space for bacteria to exist by making more surface area. In my 30 gal I just put in a small pump that sends water up to a small 5x4 small parts box that hangs on the edge with a piece of screen drawn over the open end to keep the scrunchies in the filter. My experience is basically the more complex and feature laden the filter system is, the easier it is to gently caress up something with it.
The only feature I could see being needed is to have a flow control system to control the amount of water that gets pumped

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anymore I'm a huge fan of sponge filters. As close to zero maintenance and cost as you can get in this hobby, and they work fantastically. If you have a local fish store you might even be able to buy one already cycled from one of their tanks. My local shop does this.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

demonR6 posted:

Would decomposing plant matter also cause this as well?

Yeah, if what's been happening with my tank the last few months is any indication. I noticed a lot of mulm building up in my filter that wasn't there before, and after testing the water found that nitrates were really high. This is a tank that's moderately-heavily planted and was overstocked but wasn't having issues until the water sprite in the tank took off and grew like crazy. It would break apart everywhere and all the plant matter would get sucked into the filter or the old stems would die off and rot under the gravel. I couldn't keep up with removing the broken/dead stuff, there was just so much of it.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to deal with it effectively before my fish started dying, and the past month or two I've been battling columnaris/aeromonas/some mystery bacteria (all the fish have different symptoms except for septicemia which they all get before they die) that's wiped out half my fish and seems to be resistant to the antibiotics recommended for those types of bacteria, so I'm trying salt dips and other stuff on fish that can tolerate it as a last resort before nuking the tank entirely. Fun times! I did end up tearing out all the water sprite and the filter has been significantly less gunky and is running better, so if nothing else, there's that. But yeah, decaying plant matter will gently caress a tank up if not taken care of.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Not Your Senorita posted:

Yeah, if what's been happening with my tank the last few months is any indication. I noticed a lot of mulm building up in my filter that wasn't there before, and after testing the water found that nitrates were really high. This is a tank that's moderately-heavily planted and was overstocked but wasn't having issues until the water sprite in the tank took off and grew like crazy. It would break apart everywhere and all the plant matter would get sucked into the filter or the old stems would die off and rot under the gravel. I couldn't keep up with removing the broken/dead stuff, there was just so much of it.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to deal with it effectively before my fish started dying, and the past month or two I've been battling columnaris/aeromonas/some mystery bacteria (all the fish have different symptoms except for septicemia which they all get before they die) that's wiped out half my fish and seems to be resistant to the antibiotics recommended for those types of bacteria, so I'm trying salt dips and other stuff on fish that can tolerate it as a last resort before nuking the tank entirely. Fun times! I did end up tearing out all the water sprite and the filter has been significantly less gunky and is running better, so if nothing else, there's that. But yeah, decaying plant matter will gently caress a tank up if not taken care of.

Similar situation where it is not easy for me to get into most of the hard to reach places to vacuum out the mulm. To further complicate things some red cherry shrimp from my 20L hitched a ride on some plants. Now I have a thriving colony of those in there as well with multiple females having babies and there are tiny shrimplets all over in the nooks and crannies so yeah. One positive benefit is that I have a second colony of RCS in the works and they eat up excess food and do not seem affected at all.

I am looking into getting a fluidized bed filter in there running Purigen and cross my fingers that and bumping up the water change schedule alleviates things for now. I do not want to nuke the tank since it would be a huge pita not to mention losing the shrimp would suck.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Mulm exists in my tank and it was never a problem, but I guess my tank isn't the best example. An extra 55 gallons must do wonders for keeping water params stable.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, hopefully you figure something out. With all the snails and shrimp and fish, it does sound like you have a lot of stuff going on in there in general, though. I did start a RCS tank (with a random amano shrimp that somehow got in the mix) in a 2 1/2 gallon cube tank my boyfriend gave me and even though I only have five shrimp in there, those guys poop a lot. They're so cute, though, so I'll probably post some photos when I'm not on my phone. No clue what I'll do when there's eventually too many of them in there, though. Are there other options besides selling them or turning them into fish food?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Not Your Senorita posted:

No clue what I'll do when there's eventually too many of them in there, though. Are there other options besides selling them or turning them into fish food?

The population will peak then at some point will start to diminish as the females who are capable of having babies either gets too low or inbreeding occurs to the level you have an aquarium of sterile shrimp. If you do not introduce new shrimp into the gene pool they will gradually die off.

Zarthalan
Mar 28, 2013
I'm looking at getting a fluval 06 406 canister filter for my upcoming 75 gallon tank, but one concern I have is about the tubing and cats. Should I be worried at all about my cat biting its way through the tubing? Or is it tough enough/cat won't even bother with it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ok one more dumb question because my googleing has failed me. Typing in sponge filter into amazon just turns up these which don't really look like this kind of filter. Is it an attachment onto something else? Am I overthinking this whole filter thing to begin with? I just want a tank that won't get super scuzzy and require me to go in every weekend to clean.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zarthalan posted:

I'm looking at getting a fluval 06 406 canister filter for my upcoming 75 gallon tank, but one concern I have is about the tubing and cats. Should I be worried at all about my cat biting its way through the tubing? Or is it tough enough/cat won't even bother with it?

My canisters are under the aquarium and in the cabinet. The hoses run out the back and up to the aquarium, with that being said I have never seen the cat or the dogs chew on the hoses. More so I leave pieces parts of hoses on the floor at times and they don't bother it. Right now I am draining the tank for a water change and the hose is running across the floor and into the bathroom to drain and again, they don't even care. Inclusively the hose runs right by his food bowl and he is eating from it now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Ok one more dumb question because my googleing has failed me. Typing in sponge filter into amazon just turns up these which don't really look like this kind of filter. Is it an attachment onto something else? Am I overthinking this whole filter thing to begin with? I just want a tank that won't get super scuzzy and require me to go in every weekend to clean.

The sponge filters need to have a length of air line and an air pump attached to them to work. The hang on back is self-contained. Either one would work fine, but the sponge filter has a lot fewer failure points and is generally less hassle.