Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

From what I hear, the CTN detailer has been completely mismanaging his job. I know there were 2 9308s that just simply got out because he wouldn't let them swap orders so they wouldn't have to move.

CTNCM Montgomery was alright, though the DevShop at NCWDG pissed him off about a software development NEC because they're greedy fucks. Ironically, he's the SEL of that department.
CTNCM Hawley was the one I dealt with, and I don't know if he's still there or if he got out to work in Pensacola. He was pretty curt and would change things up pretty quickly, like automatically assign you new PRD dates and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

MancXVI posted:

Attn VB peeps: come buy some loving art

I'd rather swim to the Oceanfront than drive there this time of year.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Vriess posted:

CTNCM Montgomery was alright, though the DevShop at NCWDG pissed him off about a software development NEC because they're greedy fucks. Ironically, he's the SEL of that department.
CTNCM Hawley was the one I dealt with, and I don't know if he's still there or if he got out to work in Pensacola. He was pretty curt and would change things up pretty quickly, like automatically assign you new PRD dates and whatnot.

This detailer is relatively new I think, not more than a year. I'm really not sure who it is, and CMISID won't tell me poo poo until July.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

MancXVI posted:

Attn VB peeps: come buy some loving art

Surf art, bird art, wave/sand art, boat art, kite art, shell art, kitschy beach community art. Did I miss anything?

I'll still go see it all though. VB is boring.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

USAA regularly offers some fantastic rates on auto loans FYI.

Also, debt may be a hassle, but you should always carry a manageable amount of it.

The *right* kind of debt, you mean. Credit card? No.

Personal, mortgage, auto, or student loans? Yes, as long as you're making all of your payments on time and a model loving shining star of fiscal responsibility it will help build credit.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

BovineAdapter posted:

the guy told everyone that CTIs should be prepared to see an advancement slowdown due to over-advancement through the previous 7 years or so. He also mentioned the FLPB restructure. I knew that was coming because there was no way in hell PERSCOM was gonna pay folks $1000/month for testing in their primary language plus any other DLPT they could get their hands on (Italian, Spanish, French or the slavic languages for RuLings/SCroats).

That ridiculous advancement rate completely killed our rating. We only had those rates because our attrition rate is and was still extremely high. Contractors will take a CTI starting at 85k and they hunt us out at work to remind us of that, so there's little reason to re-up for a 30k SRB for four years, that's about 7500 extra a year, or you can make 30k extra a year as a contractor. I haven't had FLPP pay in years. I stopped using my language when the war ended and basically am a CTN now to the point I had over 100 hours of OJT logged as a basic network op.

Because of the 100% advancement we also have a ton (80%+) of E6/7s that aren't fit to even lead a division to failure, but we have so many "senior" enlisted that everyone has to get a shot at being an LPO to get leadership points for their chief board. With one exception every LPO I've had is entirely incompetent at leading and still acts like an E5 jerkoff. Our Chiefs don't lead operations, manage sailors, manage anything. All our Chiefs do is navy fundraising "operations" ie car washes, and they sign off on our leave chits AFTER the army already has.

Our chain of command is army and DoD, the Navy just gives us our minimum wage and makes us sit through GMTs, then whines at us endlessly that we don't "act like sailors" when I just saw my very first Navy ship today passing DC Naval Yard. I'm not even sure what the hell it was. A destroyer? Either way, it was the first time I've seen Navy hardware in my life and it was only for 20 seconds.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
What was its hull number?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I tried to grab a pic but I managed to jack that up while I was driving. I remember it had "33". It wasn't a Burke, and now that I google I realize it was the USS Barry.

So I'm back to never having seen an active navy ship again now :smugjones: I got sent TDY a few months ago and then they announced a fleet familiarization week and sent a bunch of CTIs to Norfolk to see how the other half lives. I'd been pleading with my chain for two years to let us do that and instead I got to watch everyone else do it through facebook. I know the grass is always greener but poo poo, if I wanted to live at a desk my whole career I'd have joined the air force.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 14, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
gently caress ship life, I love flying a desk. Seriously, being on a ship sounds fun for about a week at most. I'll take eating where I want, weekends to do what I want, and Navy bullshit not coming home with me any day of the week.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

I tried to grab a pic but I managed to jack that up while I was driving. I remember it had "33". It wasn't a Burke, and now that I google I realize it was the USS Barry.

So I'm back to never having seen an active navy ship again now :smugjones: I got sent TDY a few months ago and then they announced a fleet familiarization week and sent a bunch of CTIs to Norfolk to see how the other half lives. I'd been pleading with my chain for two years to let us do that and instead I got to watch everyone else do it through facebook. I know the grass is always greener but poo poo, if I wanted to live at a desk my whole career I'd have joined the air force.

Mmmm the Barry is a Burke, and it's DDG-52...not 33. We don't actually have surface vessels in the Navy that have a hull number of 33. DDGs start at 51, CGs at 47, FFGs at 7 but 33 has be decommed.

Was probably either coast guard, or foreign. I actually have absolutely no clue why a US Navy ship would be pulling into DC....

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Getting my psych tech cert to have a part time or something while I finish school, maybe moonlight and get some extra :10bux: on the side but drat am I glad I didn't pick some dead rate that would have me leaving with nothing but the GI bill. Then again, I'd be out by now.

Honestly, if you're looking at a job that pays 90k+ and you're just waiting to get out, you could be laughing every morning while you get ready because time's in your favor.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

The *right* kind of debt, you mean. Credit card? No.

Personal, mortgage, auto, or student loans? Yes, as long as you're making all of your payments on time and a model loving shining star of fiscal responsibility it will help build credit.

Sure, but even credit card debt is fine if it's paid off month to month. In fact, everyone should have one credit card. Part of your score is the type of credit account.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Sure, but even credit card debt is fine if it's paid off month to month. In fact, everyone should have one credit card. Part of your score is the type of credit account.

Yes and no. Your credit card balance-to-limit ratio should be no more than 30%. If you've got a card with a 10k limit, it will hurt your FICO score if you consistently have more than 30% utilization regardless of whether or not you're making your payments on time. But yea, generally as long as you're making payments on anything it's a good thing. However, credit card debt is one of those things that you really don't *need* to carry to have a good FICO score (if you have other sources of good debt like I mentioned previously to demonstrate fiscal discipline).

The really problem is that a lot of people don't just have 1 credit card, they feel they have to have 6 and carry a 50% balance on 3, and max out the other 3.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

Mmmm the Barry is a Burke, and it's DDG-52...not 33. We don't actually have surface vessels in the Navy that have a hull number of 33. DDGs start at 51, CGs at 47, FFGs at 7 but 33 has be decommed.

Was probably either coast guard, or foreign. I actually have absolutely no clue why a US Navy ship would be pulling into DC....

it was this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Barry_(DD-933)

It's a museum ship there apparently and I spotted it crossing a bridge

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

buttplug posted:

Yes and no. Your credit card balance-to-limit ratio should be no more than 30%. If you've got a card with a 10k limit, it will hurt your FICO score if you consistently have more than 30% utilization regardless of whether or not you're making your payments on time. But yea, generally as long as you're making payments on anything it's a good thing. However, credit card debt is one of those things that you really don't *need* to carry to have a good FICO score (if you have other sources of good debt like I mentioned previously to demonstrate fiscal discipline).

The really problem is that a lot of people don't just have 1 credit card, they feel they have to have 6 and carry a 50% balance on 3, and max out the other 3.

Junior sailors, especially ones living on ship / in the barracks, aren't going to have a lot of sources of 'good debt' like rent/mortgage. They will have a cell phone, though, and putting that monthly bill on a CC, setting up autopayment and then tossing the CC in a drawer and forgetting about it is about the best thing they can do for their credit, sticking to a check card for everything more day to day.

The only other thing they can really do to build credit is buy a car and pay %rape interest rates on a loan, and they usually gently caress up that whole process eight different ways anyway

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

current/former Navy SWO officers, question(s) for you.
Do any of you have a copy of "An Essay on Naval Tactics" (1790) by John Clerk?
Basically, John Clerk helped england unfuck their fleet tactics for the 19th century with this book. And he apparently worked out his research/findings with toy ship battles on tabletop/w scaled sea maps, ponds & possibly even bathtubs.

I found a ebook of it here https://archive.org/details/anessayonnavalt00clergoog , but it's riddled with ALOT of OCR errors (200+ yrs of english language changes & weird typeset). Amazon.com shows a few reprintings, but the reprints are $30+ and don't have enough reviews for me to blindly buy them.

If any of you live near the USNA, does the USNA museum store have a copy of this book? aka the USNA museum doesn't have a internet store/is anyone bored enough to check physically? Willing to gift something via steam or amazon credits in return.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
First I've ever heard of it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Jesus. So when did all of the women in Boston become smoking hot? I must have missed the memo for the ugly girl purge here that happened since my last visit.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 14, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Jesus. So when did all of the women in Boston become smoking hot? I must have missed the memo for the ugly girl purge here that happened since my last visit.

They probably shipped them all to Lemoore.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Junior sailors, especially ones living on ship / in the barracks, aren't going to have a lot of sources of 'good debt' like rent/mortgage. They will have a cell phone, though, and putting that monthly bill on a CC, setting up autopayment and then tossing the CC in a drawer and forgetting about it is about the best thing they can do for their credit, sticking to a check card for everything more day to day.

The only other thing they can really do to build credit is buy a car and pay %rape interest rates on a loan, and they usually gently caress up that whole process eight different ways anyway

This is not unique to the Navy...this is young people in general. As a general rule, fresh out of high school or college you won't have much creditworthiness until you actually have a history of making some money. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, you just have to be able to be somewhat consistent with it and pay back what debts you do accrue. Even if it's only a credit card with a 1k limit...

Nobody expects (nor should they) 19y/o FN Timmy to have a 750 FICO score.

However, the sensible thing to do is do what most young people *don't* do - especially in the military - buy a reasonably priced (25k or less) relatively fuel-efficient sedan (like a Honda Sonata/Accent/Elantra, Kia-anything, Ford Fit, Fusion, etc) and make *above* minimum payments on it. It's still reasonable, good on gas, and will - over time - build credit history.

But it's much cooler to go out and buy a loving Raptor or a Camaro or some other poo poo that an O-3 or an E-7 with 10 years in might be able to afford and make the minimum payment because gently caress it I'm gettin' paid on the 1st and 15th.

Again, this is not sailors or the Navy...this is "dumb loving young people doing stupid poo poo".

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

tuluk posted:

current/former Navy SWO officers, question(s) for you.
Do any of you have a copy of "An Essay on Naval Tactics" (1790) by John Clerk?

As a non-Academy grad who hit the haterade today, let me ask the obvious: who gives a rat gently caress about an essay on Naval tactics written in 17-loving-90? Is that the poo poo they're teaching you at the Academy these days? How is that even *remotely* applicable or current?

They should be teaching loving AEGIS, BMD, COLREGS, CWMD proliferation, moboards, basic RT prowords, and unconventional warfare.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

buttplug posted:

As a non-Academy grad who hit the haterade today, let me ask the obvious: who gives a rat gently caress about an essay on Naval tactics written in 17-loving-90? Is that the poo poo they're teaching you at the Academy these days? How is that even *remotely* applicable or current?

They should be teaching loving AEGIS, BMD, COLREGS, CWMD proliferation, moboards, basic RT prowords, and unconventional warfare.

Get a grip dude. Go reverse engineer some malware or something.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vulturesrow posted:

lmao

vr owns

e: just realized i defended a ringknocker but these r desperate times

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Didn't you get passed up for O-5 already? Some good the boat school did you...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

I assume you're a SWO because you responded to a guy asking for help from a SWO.

So from one SWO to another, slow your roll man, you're being a douche.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

Sick burn bro.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Thank you both for reminding me of one of the many reasons I lat transferred.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vulturesrow posted:

Sick burn bro.

I'd be your wing man any time

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

I assume you're a SWO because you responded to a guy asking for help from a SWO.

So from one SWO to another, slow your roll man, you're being a douche.

Nope. I'm an 1820. I was a SWO before I lat transferred. That being said, having actually been a SWO DIVO and seeing how hosed up the training system (or lack thereof) is, I can't help but laugh that people sit at the Academy for 4 years and come out equally as lost and confused about nearly everything as us OCS or ROTC folks.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 15, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

honestly surprised buttplug isn't on everyone's ignore list yet.

the reason I asked about that old rear end book is because it looks interesting from a military history perspective.
ie, fleet tactics that Admiral Horatio Nelson used at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
The author also seemed to imply that crappy naval tactics are how the french beat the english navy during the american war of independence.
From a pure military history viewpoint, interesting stuff, especially when you think about the war of 1812, etc.

The ebook is readable but has a ton of scanning errors, which is why I'm looking for a better copy.
I was wondering if any SWO officers had seen/read/heard of the book, since naval tactics are part of the whole SWO concept.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

tuluk posted:

honestly surprised buttplug isn't on everyone's ignore list yet.

He's the only person I know that gives away top secret info though so I have to keep him unignored to learn cool stuff(read on w/ fully poly iirc)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Navy still worships Mahan like a golden god so a book from the late 18th still being in the curriculum would hardly be a stretch

E: Preble too and he's nearly that old himself

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Meh the surface navy has long since accepted that naval tactics in the traditional sense have evolved. Maneuvering and positioning are still important, but it's not the most important (at least not at a tactical level).

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 15, 2014

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
The most important thing is probably whatever buttplug is doing, idiots

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I figured as much about 1790's tactics being 150 yrs out of date (steam power, ironclads, and aircraft carriers would have blown the dudes mind).
Here's a little sample of the OCR errors, and why I was so desperate to find a readable copy.
I'll shut up about it now.

^ The enemy's fleet consisted of twenty-thred ** sail of the line, seren frigates^ two sloops, A '^ cutter, and a lugger. Nothing could induct ** them to risk a general action, though it was iii ^ their power daily. They made, at different ** times, motions which indicated a desire of en-*' gaging; but their resolution failed them when they drew near; and, as they sailed far betteif than his Majesty's fleet,* they, with ease, could gain what distance they pleased to windward. ^ As they were sensible of their advantage iii ** sailing, it emboldened them to run greater risks, ^ and approach nearer to his Majesty's ships thaif ** they would otherwise have doiie; and, for seve-^ nd days, about two in the afternoon, they bord *• down in a line of battle abreast, and brought tor ^ the wind a little more than random-shot distance. '* As I watched every opportunity of gaining ^ the wind, and forcing them to battle, the enemy, on my ordering the fleet to make a great deal of sai], on the 15th, upon a wind, had the vanity to think we were retiring, and with a press of sail approached us much nearer than usuaL I suffered them to enjoy the deception, and their van ship to approach abreast of my centre^ when^
a a
^ Noie by Lord Rcdney.-'^AJl of the British fleet bot four Tcry foul, leaky, and much oat of refwir*
ft
€€ 4€
100 NAVAL TACTICS.
' by a lucky change of wind, percdving I could ' weather the enemy, 1 made the signal for the ^ third in command, who then led the van, to tack ^ with his squadron, and gain the wind of the ^ enemy. The enemy's fleet instantly wore, and *^ fled with a crowd of sail.
His Majesty's fleet, by this manoeuvre, had gained the wind,* and would have forced the enemy to battle, had it not at once changed six ^ points, when near the enemy, and enabled them ^ to recover that advantage. However, it did not ^ enable them to weather his Majesty's fleet so ** much, but the van, led by that good and gallant officer. Captain Bower, about seven in the even* ing, reached their centre, and was followed by Rear-Admiral Rowley's squadron, who then led the van; the centre and rear of his Majesty's fleet following in order.
' As the enemy were under a press of sail, none '' but the van of his Majesty's fleet could come in * for any part of the action, without wasting his ** Majesty's powder and shot. The enemy wanton-

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

Nope. I'm an 1820. I was a SWO before I lat transferred. That being said, having actually been a SWO DIVO and seeing how hosed up the training system (or lack thereof) is, I can't help but laugh that people sit at the Academy for 4 years and come out equally as lost and confused about nearly everything as us OCS or ROTC folks.

Apparently wherever you went didn't stress reading comprehension because the original poster's question had nothing to do with the curriculum at USNA.

Octopode posted:

Thank you both for reminding me of one of the many reasons I lat transferred.

From what I've seen doing a lat sep out of SWO is never a bad idea. I'm an NFO, and I hate douchebags, regardless of what warfare community or designator they are. :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Not searchable but includes original illustrations

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=LsdPpUcYxD4C

E: nm, of course it's searchable

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Haha do you guys remember that one book someone posted about where a sailor goes out as like an undercover guy and gets blowjobs from other navy dudes to out them as gay or w/e

it happened in the early 1900s or something iirc and was a passage from some book

or I had a wet dream about it not sure which

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

genderstomper58 posted:

Haha do you guys remember that one book someone posted about where a sailor goes out as like an undercover guy and gets blowjobs from other navy dudes to out them as gay or w/e

it happened in the early 1900s or something iirc and was a passage from some book

or I had a wet dream about it not sure which

I wanted this to be my job in the Navy but they made me go aviation. Sad days indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I remember what you're talking about but I'm not putting that in my search history

It's wasn't one guy either, it was like an entire IG office or something

• Locked thread