Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Real talk - if you have to buy a WiiU now the MK bundle is a garbage deal unless you literally can't find a used Wii controller for $5. Just buy the Skylanders bundle from Best Buy for $250 and get MK from Amazon for $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'd rather give Nintendo extra money than own Skylanders tbh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zachack posted:

Real talk - if you have to buy a WiiU now the MK bundle is a garbage deal unless you literally can't find a used Wii controller for $5. Just buy the Skylanders bundle from Best Buy for $250 and get MK from Amazon for $50.
And then buy a usb hard drive cause you ain't downloading poo poo to your poorhouse white wii u. Nice job idiot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zachack posted:

Yeah Amazon Marketplace and warehouse deals had a bunch of Wii-U Mario games going for around 20-25 bucks. Which was a pretty decent price.

The launch games are starting to fall into the single digit price range more regularly. The likes of Zombie-U, Tekken, and such can be found for 10 bucks and under

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's some allegation.
Video chat on a console is for sex offenders. It's true for Uno on Xbox, it's true for whatever that stupid camera poo poo is on PS4, and it's true for Miiverse or whatever.

quote:

What if I want Bayonetta 2?
That's a fair point but if you have to play your pervert games at release just buy one then. The last time the console got a price drop it was in September of last year, and fanservice funtimes comes out in October, so may as well wait for new desperate pricing/bundles.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

homeless snail posted:

And then buy a usb hard drive cause you ain't downloading poo poo to your poorhouse white wii u. Nice job idiot.

Yeah that black one has so much more storage. Congrats now you can download 3 games instead of 0-1.

edit: also you are a retard if you are buying overpriced digital versions of retail games on WiiU.

quote:

I'd rather give Nintendo extra money than own Skylanders tbh
Think of it as protecting someone else from getting Skylanders.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 15, 2014

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Zachack posted:

The best deal is the refurbished Wii Us that Nintendo sells directly. They cost $200 and are the deluxe model.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zachack posted:

Video chat on a console is for sex offenders. It's true for Uno on Xbox, it's true for whatever that stupid camera poo poo is on PS4, and it's true for Miiverse or whatever.

That's a fair point but if you have to play your pervert games at release just buy one then. The last time the console got a price drop it was in September of last year, and fanservice funtimes comes out in October, so may as well wait for new desperate pricing/bundles.

You're an idiot, profoundly dumb

homeless snail posted:

Nice av, what's it from

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Nice av, what's it from
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I'm a big Nintendo fan.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

homeless snail posted:

That game was really good, although I never ended up using Cranky Kong all that much

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

homeless snail posted:

The gently caress does Hitler need with DK's bananas?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AHungryRobot posted:

The gently caress does Hitler need with DK's bananas?

Diddy Kong was actually Jewish.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

I'm not sure it's necessarily a smaller demographic so much as it is a demographic less willing to throw money at video games they haven't even seen actual footage of in general.

That's true. Sorry, I probably should have said smaller market instead of smaller demographic, maybe? I meant exactly what you said there. In the Wii U is good thread and even in here you see people talk about how much of a discount they're getting on the system and games, which is great from a consumer perspective but not so much a business one. By contrast Microsoft is advertising the Halo bundle with "4000 gamer points!" You very well might make more money targeting the people who will drop $60 on a game because of an arbitrary number like gamer points, because you can assign whatever amount you want to every product you sell.

Does targeting families mean more long-term success for Nintendo? It seems like it doesn't since just as many or more people will rigidly adhere to other consoles. Still, I can't really imagine growing up with Grand Theft Auto instead of Mario.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CatsPajamas posted:

Does targeting families mean more long-term success for Nintendo? It seems like it doesn't since just as many or more people will rigidly adhere to other consoles. Still, I can't really imagine growing up with Grand Theft Auto instead of Mario.

Tons of people have already grown up with GTA since it was released way back on the PSX, the first game came out in 1997 it's almost 20 years old. It's been a very good game series.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CatsPajamas posted:

Still, I can't really imagine growing up with Grand Theft Auto instead of Mario.

I dunno, the first GTA came out in '97. Granted, the popular ones aren't that old, but drat that series is old.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CatsPajamas posted:

Still, I can't really imagine growing up with Grand Theft Auto instead of Mario.

Well I did and it owned.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grand Theft Auto kids bring guns to school to shoot the Nintendo kids. That's why the Wii U wasn't selling.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

homeless snail posted:

Grand Theft Auto kids bring guns to school to shoot the Nintendo kids. That's why the Wii U wasn't selling.

all the pictures of the smash brothers thing showed nothing but grown rear end men for the majority of the crowd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

all the pictures of the smash brothers thing showed nothing but grown rear end men for the majority of the crowd.

If you mean the actual E3 tournament, that is because it occurred at a closed trade show where children are not allowed in. (Aside from the Make-A-Wish Kids and some kids-of-big-investors).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

If you mean the actual E3 tournament, that is because it occurred at a closed trade show where children are not allowed in. (Aside from the Make-A-Wish Kids and some kids-of-big-investors).

No I was at both days at the best buy event because I just loving love coupons.

A single line of grown rear end men who had not washed holding nothing but their Nintendo Dses and portable chairs. It went around the building and some of them has tents because they slept there from last night.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm not sure why you're saying pictures then, but most of the Best Buy pictures I've seen have had quite a few kids in them. (I couldn't go due to being at E3 and also them deciding that a major city is not the place to host one of the events anyway because Nintendo.)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you're saying pictures then, but most of the Best Buy pictures I've seen have had quite a few kids in them. (I couldn't go due to being at E3 and also them deciding that a major city is not the place to host one of the events anyway because Nintendo.)

I just don't get why they to have them be at specific best buys instead of just giving demo machines to every major retailer. I mean they're just wii-u machines with nothing special about them other than the disc. Because not all the best buys had them and it would have helped spread the crowd out because that many smash players in a single area made everything smell bad.

I mean geez I wound up amassing quite set of GC demo CD's because they were just being given away. I even have the demo of the early build of RE4 that did not wind up being the final game.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I just don't get why they to have them be at specific best buys instead of just giving demo machines to every major retailer. Because not all the best buys had them and it would have helped spread the crowd out because that many smash players in a single area made everything smell bad.

There is a significant chance that the current build of the game is not stable enough to leave unattended in demo kiosks. I saw glitches and errors at the E3 demo booths. (And before anyone freaks out, this is part and parcel of E3 and happened to much bigger games too.)

That and "look at the long lines of people to play our games" is a better PR move for a game that is (at least on that version) still months away from actual release.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zachack posted:

Nintendo not only sells refurb Wii Us for $200, but I think there is a $20 refurb wiimote nunchuck combo as well.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CatsPajamas posted:

Kids aren't growing up with GTA, they're growing up with Minecraft and Skylanders/Infinity.

As for families, I think mobile has been a wrecking ball to that market like it has to handhelds, just less obvious. The 20s/30s women I know who became console owners for MKWii and Wii Sports seem completely satisfied with Candy Crush.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

A single line of grown rear end men who had not washed holding nothing but their Nintendo Dses and portable chairs. It went around the building and some of them has tents because they slept there from last night.

Kids are still in school, these guys are unemployed

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

There is a significant chance that the current build of the game is not stable enough to leave unattended in demo kiosks. That and "look at the long lines of people to play our games" is a better PR move for a game that is (at least on that version) still months away from actual release.

I dunno I did not witness it crash, but the regular Wii-U demos they have set up have an exterior reset button. Maybe the long lines would make good publicity but I think getting the demo out there into many locations as possible while still riding high on the Mario kart coattails would have made more sense.

that and the aisle of best buy near me are not really ideal for that large quantity of people, they did have the good sense to call people in at waves so they were not clogging up escalators. But a good number finished playing and would get back on line again for a few more hours until being called for their turn.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

but I think there is a $20 refurb wiimote nunchuck combo as well.

I did not know that. It's also the Plus version.

I've been wanting to pick up an extra Wiimote or two and that price is way better than $70 for a wiimote + nunchuck.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Zachack posted:

Kids aren't growing up with GTA, they're growing up with Minecraft and Skylanders/Infinity.

As for families, I think mobile has been a wrecking ball to that market like it has to handhelds, just less obvious. The 20s/30s women I know who became console owners for MKWii and Wii Sports seem completely satisfied with Candy Crush.

Those both seem like very fair points. I know when I was a kid if I could buy toys and make them come to life on my TV that would have been the coolest thing. Don't know if the Amiibo line is intended to compete with Skylanders or if they're being taken in another direction. It seems like the market is already pretty entrenched - even if Nintendo has more recognizable characters than Spyro, I'm not sure if he was a big draw to Skylanders in the first place poor little guy.

The fact that Candy Crush has made almost 2 billion dollars is one of the worst video games things I can think of.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CatsPajamas posted:

Those both seem like very fair points. I know when I was a kid if I could buy toys and make them come to life on my TV that would have been the coolest thing. Don't know if the Amiibo line is intended to compete with Skylanders or if they're being taken in another direction. It seems like the market is already pretty entrenched - even if Nintendo has more recognizable characters than Spyro, I'm not sure if he was a big draw to Skylanders in the first place poor little guy.

The fact that Candy Crush has made almost 2 billion dollars is one of the worst video games things I can think of.

Amiibo is meant to appeal to adults because it features game characters who haven't had videogames in well over a decade.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Zachack posted:

No that's loving retarded because everything in that presentation is next year, so just wait until then when Iwata is handing out free Reggie blowjobs and a 2DS with each $100 WiiU. Unless you just gotta put on the klan hood now and start playing those whites-only games because that MK roster may as well say "no coloreds" on it.

Why is this a problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno I did not witness it crash, but the regular Wii-U demos they have set up have an exterior reset button. Maybe the long lines would make good publicity but I think getting the demo out there into many locations as possible while still riding high on the Mario kart coattails would have made more sense.

Crashes are not always fixed by restart buttons or can cause unexpected errors. One crash I witnessed at E3 ended up running along a line of character models from the code which revealed a spoiler they made us promise not to mention. That would be a problem for Nintendo if just because popping up CHROM.MDL or whatever would be on the internet instantly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27ZsrQ_wFE

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

They're not loving around going after that teenage XBox Live demographic.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

James Hardon posted:

Why is this a problem.

If I was able to play as Muhammad Ali (famous punching negro) I would be much more skilled at throwing bananas at giant monster dinosaurs.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 15, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I honestly don't think mobile is Nintendo's problem, or Sony's or Microsoft's. Their systems are selling less this generation because they're all producing less games, lower quality games, and releasing them more slowly. Sony and Microsoft are all in on cinematic experience bullshit that takes three years and 100 million per game to develop a generic brown linear cover shooter, and Nintendo is slow to program their niche titles because they are a toy company.

However their release schedule really does seem to be accelerating end of this year through next.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Novasol posted:

The best deal is the refurbished Wii Us that Nintendo sells directly. They cost $200 and are the deluxe model.

Do this, they say on the store page that the deluxe version isn't eligble for club nintendo coins but I got them anyway. If you get the refurb, mario kart 8, and like pikmin3 from the free code, you can link it to club nintendo for free coins, get enough to get gold status from the console and 2 games(which will likely get you a vc game next month, though it could just be a lovely calander.), enough coins for a free vc game or lovely prize, and 5-10 bucks off your next digital purchase depending on if you bought mario kart 8 digitally or not.(the free code you get from mario kart 8 actually counts for the digital promotion and will get you 5 bucks, no idea if the current e3 sale will reduce how much you get from windwaker hd though.)

Tengames fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 15, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I recommend the white WiiU because I bought it on launch (sold out of black ones) and the console and gamepad still look new but my sister has the deluxe Wii U and it looks like it fell down a flight of stairs (high gloss black looks terrible after normal use).

A pretty spergy reason but I like my Nintendos looking nice :kiddo:

Also WiiU owns buy one bye

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I now have free time this weekend so I'm reading the keynote threads for the first time and enjoying some gems.

quote:

I wish they did a live presentation at E3 rather than this digital one. I feel pretty disconnected, what gets me hyped about the games is having someone there talking about it with passion and being really enthusiastic about what they're announcing.

When I think E3 keynotes I think passion and enthusiasm *guy stares at TV in the floor playing with controller while other guy struggles to read teleprompter in fumbled english*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

When I think E3 keynotes I think passion and enthusiasm *guy stares at TV in the floor playing with controller while other guy struggles to read teleprompter in fumbled english*

Yeah, even with all the good announcements Sony had guys like Boyes and that newcomer guy couldn't escape the awkwardness factor being onstage at points. At least in a digital event when you announce something underwhelming you aren't required to stand on stage for five seconds waiting for an applause that only happens because the audience can see you're waiting for them to applaud. If Tretton was still around he would have probably flooded the theater hall from nerve-induced sweat.

• Locked thread