Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

The circuit is probably opening, not shorting. Biiiig difference.

And that is some fuckawful soldering. I would be ashamed to put my name to that.

That wasn't soldering. That was painting with solder.

I'm with you. That circuit is opening because of a cold joint. Reflow, clean it up and CLEAN THE GODDAMN FLUX WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Once, leaving the movie theater just outside of navy pier around 2am in Chicago, I saw a late model Diablo open up WOT right in front of me and blast down the street.

It was a religious experience.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

leica posted:

Other day on the beach saw a guy taking a picture of a parked R8, and just being a smart rear end I said "Why are you taking a picture of that, it's just a glorified Volkswagen".

He turned and looked at me all pissed of and said "It's my car!" :colbert:

Oops :3:

I saw an R8 Spyder on the PGBT and it wasn't nearly as exciting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

8ender posted:

Audi did most of the engineering on the VAG franken lambo :colbert:

:thejoke:

In Juke news: Going to meet the owner next Saturday. If it's in the condition she says, I'll buy it. Hopefully the electric steering won't be an issue. :ohdear:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Motronic posted:

That wasn't soldering. That was painting with solder.

I'm with you. That circuit is opening because of a cold joint. Reflow, clean it up and CLEAN THE GODDAMN FLUX WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

What's the best way to clean up the awful black poo poo? I had to go out and buy new desoldering braid (and also a pump just in case) because 10 year old stuff doesn't do shitall. I'm still going to take the jack off the board because I don't trust it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

And that is some fuckawful soldering. I would be ashamed to put my name to that.

Agreed with Kastein I would probably have been fired on the spot if I soldered someone's laptop power input jack like that and it's shameful for them to charge you $80 for that kind of work. I mean to be fair it may have taken like an hour or so of labor to disassemble and reassemble the laptop depending on how much of a pain in the rear end it is but that doesn't matter if their employee does not know how to solder worth a dinghy.

vvv Jesus christ you make the best posts on this entire drat forum please never stop posting. vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 14, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wouldn't, every time you pull a multipin through hole component off a board with plated through holes you risk PTH damage and breaking a midlayer connection off the PTH, doing it again won't do you any good and may make things worse. Use braid to drain each hole, then reflow with a powerful enough iron (that was probably caused by a hack butcher with a weak iron trying to make do) and clean the flux up if it isn't regular rosin or lightly activated rosin. Cleanup is semi optional with those fluxes.

Whoever did that was trying to use a weak iron. Problem is, heavy power jacks and stuff like that have a lot of midlayer connections (since typically the power pins are fed to the regulators through a mid layer to save outer layers for signaling)which means many heavy thermal reliefs from the pad to the midlayer copper pours. So you need much more heat to solder them properly. Not "gorilla with a tinsmiths soldering gun" heat, just more than a typical pencil iron can provide.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Extra posted:

Agreed with Kastein I would probably have been fired on the spot if I soldered someone's laptop power input jack like that and it's shameful for them to charge you $80 for that kind of work. I mean to be fair it may have taken like an hour or so of labor to disassemble and reassemble the laptop depending on how much of a pain in the rear end it is but that doesn't matter if their employee does not know how to solder worth a dinghy.

vvv Jesus christ you make the best posts on this entire drat forum please never stop posting. vvv

I disassembled it all myself actually. All they did was remove the old jack and install the new one.

I'll try redoing the joints and see if that gets me anywhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I had a dream last night I had bought my Biturbo and I was cruising along on the freeway with the windows down and wind in my hair and then I woke up and had the most profound sense of loss

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its OK. These things happen when you own British and Italian cars.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
My WRX started smoking like crazy today. Luckily it happened right as we were pulling into the parking lot for a huge Subaru meet. I was suddenly swarmed with people eager to take a look.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

13 INCH DICK posted:

I had a dream last night I had bought my Biturbo and I was cruising along on the freeway with the windows down and wind in my hair and then I woke up and had the most profound sense of loss

Don't worry, this will happen after you get the car, too (you won't be able to drive it).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Evan William's Single Barrel is absolutely the best Bourbon for the price, bar none. has the smoothness, character and flavor of a Bourbon twice its price.

Gonna have to Nth Evan Williams. I don't usually drink brown liquor, but my wife is a bourbon afficionado and when she's not drinking more expensive stuff like Blantons or Makers, Evan Williams is the only cheap stuff she'll touch because everything else in that price range is poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Evan Williams' egg-nog is the loving poo poo on the rocks. Shame it's only sold around thanksgiving/christmas.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Planning my time in SoCal next week and I forgot that it takes an hour to travel 15 miles in any direction on the freeway :(

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

A local liquor store has Evan Williams egg nog year round. Granted winter here usually lasts a good 8 months out of the year.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

blk posted:

Planning my time in SoCal next week and I forgot that it takes an hour to travel 15 miles in any direction on the freeway :(

Just avoid rush hour. And two hours on both sides of rush hour.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

blk posted:

Where at?

Maybe I've been lucky, but traffic where we just moved hasn't been too bad. And on the bike it doesn't matter even if it does get lovely. I have a 45ish mile commute, half interstate and half highway (I-15 to 76 all the way over to 5, for any local goons) and it takes me about 50m, if I get stuck at a lot of lights.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Crustashio posted:

I disassembled it all myself actually. All they did was remove the old jack and install the new one.

I'll try redoing the joints and see if that gets me anywhere.

Wow, you got hosed hard then. If you weren't on the other side of the world somewhere I would say bring it over with a sixpack and it will be done in 30min.

Speaking of melting metal. I love my second newest welder (I have a problem ok, I only own three welders, I can stop anytime I want) so much. Just accidentally burned through a piece of quarter inch plate while welding it to a 1 inch plate. :aaa:

Waiting for the welder to cool down (hit the 60% duty cycle and it started splattering) then it is back to melting poo poo together. And today is the best day for welding outside, too, it's like 60 degrees and partially cloudy.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Drove to Wisconsin for a Subaru club cruise, getting towed back. I lost a quarter of a quart in five miles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They weren't able to fix it? No bueno

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
1/4 of a quart in 5mi? Thats normal for most cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

1/4 of a quart in 5mi? Thats normal for most cars.

This isn't the rotary thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sandbagger and I just put the new valve spring on the 5 ton, all it needs now is stuff I can do myself. Having a second person around to turn the engine from underneath while I checked if the piston was at top dead center was really helpful.

The old one was broken into FOUR PIECES. :aaaaa:

E: my $15 home depot plumbing and hardware aisle valve spring compressor performed admirably.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Powershift posted:

This isn't the rotary thread.

Its normal for a subaru, a BMW, or anything with vtec though :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Brigdh posted:

Its normal for a subaru, a BMW, or anything with vtec though :)

I'd like to add the 2L Audi/WV turbo to that list

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

8ender posted:

I'd like to add the 2L Audi/WV turbo to that list

You should add DSMs as well. I never leave home without oil in the hatch.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

We're all friends here, we shouldnt judge others on our oil consumption.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Everything I own has a taste for oil. I see nothing wrong with this.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
is anyone watching the 24 hours of le mans?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

CharlesM posted:

They weren't able to fix it? No bueno

The timing belt has to come off.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Das Volk posted:

Flipping between it and the Ivory Coast/Japan game. (what a goal!)

Honestly tho, such a good night to stay in, get high and drunk and watch awesome poo poo on TV.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

goatse guy posted:

The timing belt has to come off.

Front main/cam seals I'm guessing? (i know nothing about subarus)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's probably the ringlands.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Front main/cam seals I'm guessing? (i know nothing about subarus)

Yep. Only 50k miles on my car. :smith:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Das Volk posted:

If anyone isnt they are seriously missing out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Everything I own has a taste for oil. I see nothing wrong with this.

My beetle doesn't use oil :smug:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

It's probably the ringlands.

I don't think ringlands alone would account for that much use. I had 2 go and it didn't use that much (only 10qts per 4000mi for like 30k mi -- its me, I'm responsible for the polar bears deaths.)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

My beetle doesn't use oil :smug:

That means its empty, put more oil in :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Flipping between it and the Ivory Coast/Japan game. (what a goal!)

Honestly tho, such a good night to stay in, get high and drunk and watch awesome poo poo on TV.

World Cup play has all been awesome. That Spain / Netherlands game :fap:

• Locked thread